Which Maps Show?

I believe City Select is displayed over both Topo and Metroguide. I have a Map60C and this is how it works.

You can go to the Map Page, and click Menu/Setup Map/then under Map Setup-Information, click Menu again. The Menu will list all the mapping you have loaded. There will be Restore choices, but more importantly you have the option to Show All, Show None, Show Basemap, and then the additional mapping you have loaded. Here you can Show the coverage you prefer at the time, but the bottom line is you can only display ONE map coverage at a time.

I found a FAQ topic on this, and in part it reads "The GPSr will choose the most detailed map to display. That means that if you've loaded City Select and Topo maps of the same area, by default, the GPSr will only show the City Select maps."

Hope this is of help in answering your question.

Ed: spelling/add note

Edited by Timpat

I decided some time back that since I am the owner/operator of my 76C and paid the extra bucks for City Select and Topo Canada that I should be the one to decide which mapset displays at any given time. Why else would Garmin give me the option of "Hiding" or "Showing" each one, all, or any combination. The basemap has a permanent "hidden" status and CS and Topo alternate based on my whereabouts and navigation status.

Now if I could just remember to make the switch when I leave the car or vice-versa. :P

Cheers, Olar

I have MetroGuide 4 and CitySelect 6. I have found that even though MG4 is quite a bit older, that in rural areas (at least that ones that I have traveled to), it is more detailed than CS6. Here are two screen shots of the same area of a river that I fish in North Carolina. MG4 makes it a bit easier. So, I pick an choose maps based on the location and sometimes overlap them.

Here is the CitySelect 6

CS6OldDock.jpg

Here is the MetroGuide 4

MG4OldDock.jpg

I have MetroGuide 4 and CitySelect 6. I have found that even though MG4 is quite a bit older, that in rural areas (at least that ones that I have traveled to), it is more detailed than CS6. Here are two screen shots of the same area of a river that I fish in North Carolina. MG4 makes it a bit easier. So, I pick an choose maps based on the location and sometimes overlap them.

I know they've removed a lot of streams and lakes and dirt roads from City Select and added more POIs and business listings, but I think that Topo (which shows the lakes, streams and dirt roads) would cover the area sufficiently and chew up a lot less memory when used with CS.

Edited by briansnat

I think MapSource Topo is worth the price. It all depends upon what you want to do and how you use your GPSr. I use both my Topo and City Select, Topo for hiking/geocaching, and CS to autoroute to the cache site or for traveling. I have both loaded and toogle between the two as my use changes. Good luck.

Up here in the great white North, (right now its the great burnt lawn brown North), Topo Canada appears to be only Metroguide Canada ver. 4 with topo features overlayed. This is fine because MG Canada 4 is quite good in it's rural road coverage and it autoroutes as well. However the latest version of City Select is vastly improved in it's rural and small town coverage which precludes the need any longer for MG 4. I have the feeling that Garmin is aiming towards retiring all land maps in Canada and likely the U.S. except for CS and Topo which at the moment is all I could possibly need for car navigation and caching/hiking.

Anyway based on that then CS should probably take priority over Topo but it would be nice to have an easier way to toggle between the two rather than going 2 levels into the menu file and scrolling to the map of choice.

Cheers, Olar

Well, then, let me ask this... would a current Topo be more accurate/detailed than my MG4... how often does a lake or river need updating? Would it be worth the price or would I not be gaining much??

I've found MG-USA4 and USTopo to be pretty similar when it comes to coverage of lakes and rivers. Sometimes one is better, sometimes the other - they're both much better than later versions of MG and CS-NA. Topo does a better job of showing natural features like summits, passes, springs, swamps/marshes, etc. and of course it includes the contour lines to show elevations.

Unless you want the contour lines I wouldn't bother getting USTopo given that you already have MG-USA4.

Well, then, let me ask this... would a current Topo be more accurate/detailed than my MG4... how often does a lake or river need updating? Would it be worth the price or would I not be gaining much??

I think the major gain would be in additional free memory and more map coverage. Topo takes up significantly less memory than Metroguide in most areas, particularly if you live near a major population center.

You'd also be getting contour lines so you will see the lay of the land.

You Guys are GREAT!

On my iQue the only way I could think of for switching from CitySelect to Topo was turning off individual detail maps - this was getting veeeery tedious with some 500MB worth of maps. (And to switch back I was resetting all mapping settings to default.)

Now I got the hint to just go to the drop-down menu to switch wholesale between the map sets. I feel so duuuuuuh! :P

Thanks!