Whats Acceptable For Micro Containers

crazyone

The most common container for micros is the old 35MM film canister, Stop buy your local photo lab and in most cases they will give you a bunch free of charge.

Keep in though they are not water proof.

If you just need to post coordinates you can use just about anything, you do not even need a container. I have use small wood plaques with the coordinates just written on them with a pen. I placed a couple of magnets on one of these and put it under and old water tank.

Rectangular-shaped Altoids tins are very popular for micros, because small trade items can fit. But, they aren't waterproof. Use them in sheltered spots only.

On the other hand, I have had excellent luck with the circular-shaped altoids tins. One of my caches is on a riverfront walkway and it has survived numerous floods with the logbook staying dry as a bone.

If you want to go really small, you can find pet ID tubes at your local pet store. These are meant to hang on the pets collar with their name and address inside. They are cheap to buy and are half the size of the bison tubes (really drive the finders nuts!) :P

petidentificationtube9pp.jpg

I found a container today that looked suspiciously like one of these. The log inside looked like wood pulp. Even though I carry tweezers, I didn't even try to get it out because previous finders mentioned how wet the log was. I just took some pictures to prove I found it.

If I was setting up a multi, I would laminate the paper and put it inside a 35 mm film canister or Altoids tin. That way, if the container leaks, the coordinates, or instructions for the next waypoint, won't get damaged.

I got my TB's tag laminated at The UPS Store and the price was reasonable.

If you want to go really small, you can find pet ID tubes at your local pet store.  These are meant to hang on the pets collar with their name and address inside.  They are cheap to buy and are half the size of the bison tubes (really drive the finders nuts!) :P

petidentificationtube9pp.jpg

I found a container today that looked suspiciously like one of these. The log inside looked like wood pulp. Even though I carry tweezers, I didn't even try to get it out because previous finders mentioned how wet the log was. I just took some pictures to prove I found it.

If I was setting up a multi, I would laminate the paper and put it inside a 35 mm film canister or Altoids tin. That way, if the container leaks, the coordinates, or instructions for the next waypoint, won't get damaged.

I got my TB's tag laminated at The UPS Store and the price was reasonable.

I should have added that I always use waterproof paper (write in the rain paper) in these caches. The first small tube I put out ended up as pulp in no time. I have had good success with the waterproof paper though.

I have one in an America Online CD tin (actually designated as a "small", not a "micro"). Same issues as an Altoids tin, but if the spot will support it, it holds a regular pocket notebook, a golf pencil, and small items and sig cards. Mine also has a craft magnet glued to the inside that's strong enough to hold it up from within.