Explorist 600 Temperature Reading

I have a new Explorist 600 that I was just putting through its initial paces. For the important stuff, so far so good; however, the temperature reading seems stuck on 67 degrees F, and it won't be that cool again here in Houston until sometime in November...

Anyone have any experience with this nearly useless feature or should I just fuggedabout it and move on? Is it reasonable to expect it might take a long time to equilibrate?

Chuck

Does anyone else have a problem with the compass being off. I was traveling from Lufkin, TX to Houston Hobby Airport. I had the Hobby coords in from last time i was there. Houston is southbound all the way and my pointer was showing that my POI(Houston Hobby) was behind me. I have followed the instructions to calibrate the compass several times but it still reads inaccurately.

Does anyone else have a problem with the compass being off. I was traveling from Lufkin, TX to Houston Hobby Airport. I had the Hobby coords in from last time i was there. Houston is southbound all the way and my pointer was showing that my POI(Houston Hobby) was behind me. I have followed the instructions to calibrate the compass several times but it still reads inaccurately.

unless it is pretty perfectly level it will be off! It is an inherent problem with all electronic compasses.

They should have at least given us a screen where we could calibrate it to an external thermometer.

According to a messge in the newsgroup sci.geo.satellite-nav,

code 14 of the secret menu allows you to change the setting of the thermometer

and barometer in the Explorist 300 and 600. I have not try it because

I do not have a 600.

Were you traveling in a car? The magnetic compass is easily persuaded by large hunks of metal in close proximity that the polar axis has made major shifts. :D

Odd, that site was OK last week. See below for what you are looking for:

ABOUT SERVICE FUNCTIONS

eXplorist units have also some hidden and service functions. Like, if unit is off, you can press:

- IN + PWR = full selftest of unit (screen test, keypad test, NMEA test)

- OUT + PWR = serial port test

- ESC + PWR = burn-in process

- LIGHT + ENTER + RWR = uploading of new firmware

- NAV + PWR = call Service Function window (see below)

- NAV + MENU + PWR = force power off, equals removal of batteries.

Service functions:

If while unit is in "power off", press and hold NAV key then press PWR key, or if unit is already on, press MENU key then press right-left-right-left arrows, then on center of screen the service function windows with text "00" will appear. With help of arrows you can change "00" to number of any other service function, then press ENTER.

00 Show Information about firmware version and unique ID of unit

01 Show statement of corellator channels

02 Show memory dump and registers after last unit's failure

03 Turn WAAS on / off

05 Clear ephemerides

10 Turn unit off

15 Full selftest (like IN + PWR)

16 Serial port test (like OUT + PWR)

17 Burn in (like ESC + PWR)

20 Show statement and calibrations

26 Waiting for remote assistance

27 Waiting for remote assistance

30 Clear memory menu

31 Clear XO parameters (may be usefull, if unit can't find any satallite)

32 Clear all memory prompt

33 Verify basemap

38 Interface language select

40 Set serial port baud rate

41 NMEA settings

70 Waiting for remote assistance

71 Create some PIOs for testing

72 Screen frame rate

75 Simulator settings

78 Service report

82 Compensation offset settings. (DO NOT change, if you don't know, what compensation is!)

90 XO and A-D settings. (DO NOT change, if you don't know, what XO and A-D!)

92 Waiting for remote assistance

93 Rename of basemap

94 Report of serial flash-memory usage

95 Serial flash-memory erasing. (basemap after call of this function will be ERASED!)

96 Report about structure of serial flash-memory

97 Clear secondary SMC basemap.

98 Basemap upload mode

99 Firmware upload mode (like LIGHT + ENTER + PWR)

Edited by CondorTrax