My First Cache Hide

CapnJackSparrow

I'm getting ready to hide my first cache and i'ts going to be a good one. First to Find prize is a $100.00 gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods. It was originally going to be a Garmin eTrex, but I decided to let the FTF decide what they wanted.

My question is: Would I be allowed to make a multi-cache where dates that historic buildings were constructed would need to be gathered and entered into a hidden web address to find the final coordinates?

Coordinates for all locations would be listed in the cache listing but each one would need to be visited to find the dates to enter into the web address for the final coords. ie: www.webpage/xxxx/xxxx/xxxx.

Please help, I am very excited to get started.

Thank you,

CapnJackSparrow

Once you leave your house to hunt for the cache you shouldn't have to go back to enter something on the computer to find the cache.

Thats personal preference. His cache, according to what he says, does not violate any guidelines that I know of.

Sorry to be bumping this post so soon , but I am looking for reviewer attention.

Let me explain.

If you have read any of my previous posts, you know that I started working on this cache almost a year ago. Since that time I have been temporarily disabled with disk problems in my neck. I am now able to go out caching again for the first time since my accident and am very excited to be able to get my cache going. I seriously need to know if my idea is acceptable because in order to make it work I need to build the web site. This will take some time and I want to get my cache listed as soon as possible.

Please let me know if this is OK. I have read all the guidelines and find no real problems with my idea, but I am looking for the GeoCaching communities blessings before I go forward with it.

Again, Thank you in advance for your input,

CapnJackSparrow :lol:

We were working on a puzzle cache and had to log onto the GC web site to find out where the travel bug we needed was located.

We just found the nearest library and used their computer to get the info we needed. Seems like your idea would work, and as long as people know about that step before starting their search, they won't be disappointed when they find out what is required.

I'll be interested to see what your approver does say . . .

I have seen nothing that says my cache does not conform to regulations. So I willl continue with my idea.Seek soon and enjoy!! :D

If there is any doubt whatsoever (and there must be because you checked here), do what Sbell111 suggested and run it by NY Admin. He doesn't visit the forums often so he probably won't see your post.

I'd hate to see you go through all the trouble and have it turned down because of some technical violation of the guidelines.

I think there is a guidline that says all the info you need to find the cache should be on the cache page. I'm not sure if your requirement for the searcher to go to another website is a violation or not, but its best to ask.

I have done a cache in Florida that required working out a password in order to access a website in order to get the final info for the cache... so at least the visit a website part of your hide has been approved here and the rest sounds like standard offset build coords stuff    good luck

There's a line in the guidelines (third paragraph, including the bold one) that nullifies this theory. I agree with Brian, email the reviewer for your area if you're unsure.

I think there is a guidline that says all the info you need to find the cache should be on the cache page.  I'm not sure if your requirement for the searcher to go to another website is a violation or not, but its best to ask.

Most of my puzzle caches require some Internet searching to solve (unless you're really smart). Also, multi-caches certainly don't have all the waypoints on the cache page. So there's apparently some wiggle-room in those guidelines.

I had missed this thread until you started another thread that was moved to the General Geocaching Topics forum, which I follow more closely. Also note that New York Admin does not regularly follow the forums.

Whether your cache idea will fly depends on the details of your submission. It is a grey area. For example, if the website that must be accessed requires signing up for an account, I might not want to list that. The website must be freely accessible and must be determinable from information contained on, or derived from, the cache page or clues in the field.

Please work on the details with your state's volunteer cache reviewer.

Coordinates for all locations would be listed in the cache listing but each one would need to be visited to find the dates to enter into the web address for the final coords. ie: www.webpage/xxxx/xxxx/xxxx.

Just curious...

Is there a particular reason that you want to require Internet access partway through finding the final stage? Why not have a mathematical calculation from the dates found to produce the final coordinates?

Just curious...not that it will ever make any difference to me.

For example, if the website that must be accessed requires signing up for an account, I might not want to list that. The website must be freely accessible and must be determinable from information contained on, or derived from, the cache page or clues in the field.

The web site will be freely accessible to anyone without any type of sign-up. The idea behind the web site is that when you aquire the nessecary dates, either all at the same time or on separate cache hunts, you will be able to access a piece of a puzzle. When all pieces are collected, they will reveal the location of the cache.

I really think I understand all the rules and from the responses here I think my idea should be ok so I am going to get to work on it and put it up for review.

Thank you for all of your responses to my post,

CapnJackSparrow

I'm getting ready to hide my first cache and i'ts going to be a good one. First to Find prize is a $100.00 gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods. It was originally going to be a Garmin eTrex, but I decided to let the FTF decide what they wanted.

My question is: Would I be allowed to make a multi-cache where dates that historic buildings were constructed would need to be gathered and entered into a hidden web address to find the final coordinates?

Thank you,

CapnJackSparrow

Good idea for screenname here. I wonder who will steal yours next also.

Please remember though; www.deadmentellnotales.com.

:P:P:P:P:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::P:P:P:P:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you,

CapnJackSparrow

Make sure the placement of the cache is legal, and the rest can all fall under a "puzzle" description.