Geocaching In The Middle East

Cav Scout

Hello all,

:P Its finally here! My deployment to Iraq :P . I will be gone one year looking for caches in Iraq. I am taking a few TB's with me from geocachers around the states that have asked me to log in their TB's while I am in Iraq.

:lol: I want to thank everone I have met through geocaching and will miss you all tremendously while I am gone for the year.

If you would like you, can send me mail and let me know how geocaching is going in America and I will send you letters back telling you about all of the things I see in Iraq. Mostly the good things will be mentioned.

My address will be (not secret) :drama:

1SG Roy Stoehr

HQ PLT, ATrp, 4-14 CAV, 172d SBCT

APO AE 09319

:P Once again thanks to all of you!!!

Cav Scout

My Troop is getting ready to start searching for caches in Iraq soon :lol: . The caches we will be searching for contain weapons and grenades, etc. All of the neat things a insurgent needs to welcome Soldiers to Iraq :anibad: . I need to find out if I can log those finds in on my profile :)

Would it be a security problem to log those "caches" on Waymarking.com? ;) Might need to get a new category approved..."Weapons caches". :lol:

My Troop is getting ready to start searching for caches in Iraq soon :anibad: . The caches we will be searching for contain weapons and grenades, etc. All of the neat things a insurgent needs to welcome Soldiers to Iraq :lol: . I need to find out if I can log those finds in on my profile :lol:

Would it be a security problem to log those "caches" on Waymarking.com? ;) Might need to get a new category approved..."Weapons caches". :)

I think I am allowed to mark a cache point and list it. It would be even better if there was a icon for that in geocaching.com. I'm sure service members who are geocachers would list there finds. I will have to do some research on this subject, until then I will log in all of my finds in my journal.

My Troop is getting ready to start searching for caches in Iraq soon :lol: . The caches we will be searching for contain weapons and grenades, etc. All of the neat things a insurgent needs to welcome Soldiers to Iraq B) . I need to find out if I can log those finds in on my profile :laughing:

Would it be a security problem to log those "caches" on Waymarking.com? B) Might need to get a new category approved..."Weapons caches". :P

I think I am allowed to mark a cache point and list it. It would be even better if there was a icon for that in geocaching.com. I'm sure service members who are geocachers would list there finds. I will have to do some research on this subject, until then I will log in all of my finds in my journal.

Nobody is mentioning WMDs anymore. The ultimate locationless.

I see you're online, Roy; I've got two jeeps to send your way. Anything special I have to do to packages? Anything special you want sent along with? Let me know... By the way, it's 60 and raining here in Anchorage AK... wish we could send some your way!

You don't have to do anything special with the packages, however make sure you do a good job packing the jeeps. It usually takes 10 to 14 days for me to get mail from the US. If you would like you could send me some of the cool weather you are getting in AK :D .

Iwould like to report that a cache has been found yesterday :D .It contained 3 AK47's and RPK MG, and a few genades :D . I didnot see any TBs or geocoins. the log book was missing to :D .

Seems those items would be high on the disapproved for placing in a cache list. TPTB must be slipping to have approved such a cache. :D Keep your head down buddy.

Iwould like to report that a cache has been found yesterday :D .It contained 3 AK47's and RPK MG, and a few genades :D . I didnot see any TBs or geocoins. the log book was missing to :D .

Seems those items would be high on the disapproved for placing in a cache list. TPTB must be slipping to have approved such a cache. :D Keep your head down buddy.

The caches I'm talking about are the real ones that the insurgents are hiding. The military has always used caches for storing equipment and food. I was taught how to hide a cache way before geocaching even came along. We also got Military coins for our achievements when it came to hiding a cache. The Army can pretty much take credit for hiding caches and starting the craze with coins. The caches my Scouts have been finding are loaded with weapons and explosives. My RECCE Scout PLts find these caches on tips from the Iraq folks. I will start posting some pictures of the caches my Scouts find. Recon is a good tool for looking for things like the enemy and weapons.

Edited by Cav Scout

The caches I'm talking about are the real ones that the insurgents are hiding. The military has always used caches for storing equipment and food. I was taught how to hide a cache way before geocaching even came along. We also got Military coins for our achievements when it came to hiding a cache. The Army can pretty much take credit for hiding caches and starting the craze with coins. The caches my Scouts have been finding are loaded with weapons and explosives. My RECCE Scout PLts find these caches on tips from the Iraq folks. I will start posting some pictures of the caches my Scouts find. Recon is a good tool for looking for things like the enemy and weapons.

I'm acutely aware of the caches you seek having found a few in my day. Though our methods differed from those you use. Many times it was recon by fire and if it blew up we went hmmm that must have been a cache. The number and size of the secondaries often giving us a good idea of the size. (Micro, Small, Regular or HOLY &^%*&$!!!!) Was just trying to inject a bit of humor there Roy. Appreciate your efforts Buddy. Keep your head down.

Iwould like to report that a cache has been found yesterday :mad: .It contained 3 AK47's and RPK MG, and a few genades :mad: . I didnot see any TBs or geocoins. the log book was missing to :D .

I hope you traded up, or at least even.

I left a geocaching.com sticker there for the owners of the cache :mad: .

Iwould like to report that a cache has been found yesterday :mad: .It contained 3 AK47's and RPK MG, and a few genades :mad: . I didnot see any TBs or geocoins. the log book was missing to :D .

I'm acutely aware of the caches you seek having found a few in my day. Though our methods differed from those you use. Many times it was recon by fire and if it blew up we went hmmm that must have been a cache. The number and size of the secondaries often giving us a good idea of the size. (Micro, Small, Regular or HOLY &^%*&$!!!!) Was just trying to inject a bit of humor there Roy. Appreciate your efforts Buddy. Keep your head down.

I found out yesterday that we are allowed to recon by fire.We will be using this method on the IEDs. I'm thinking about a cache hide here in Iraq and naming it IED. Have to wait a while for this one :mad: .

Cav Scout, we were insane geocachers for a while, but not nearly as dedicated as you. Sending you love and good wishes from Oregon --- a "kid" I used to babysit is in Iraq with his Nat'l Guard troop and sends notes home about the mega-heat. I will never again complain about sweating my way up a hill to a cache. Well, yes I will... it's the American way. Heh.

May all your cache finds be successful ones. We thank you for your part in giving us the great American life! Let us know if we can send anything your way. We'd be glad to put a package together!

Slyther, and the rest of the Leapin' Lizards cache crew

Cav Scout, we were insane geocachers for a while, but not nearly as dedicated as you. Sending you love and good wishes from Oregon --- a "kid" I used to babysit is in Iraq with his Nat'l Guard troop and sends notes home about the mega-heat. I will never again complain about sweating my way up a hill to a cache. Well, yes I will... it's the American way. Heh.

May all your cache finds be successful ones. We thank you for your part in giving us the great American life! Let us know if we can send anything your way. We'd be glad to put a package together!

Slyther, and the rest of the Leapin' Lizards cache crew

You can send anything you like. I would not mind getting things about geocaching. I am having a hard time not looking for regular geocaches everyday like I did in washington state. Just send mail to the first posted not in this forum. Thanks! ;)

The sports channel ESPN came to my range today while my Soldiers practiced clearing buildings. ESPN is doing a special about basketball and wanted to show Soldiers working in Iraq. You can see my soldiers for about five seconds on 19 Nov during a special called hardwood floors or something like that. The Soldiers are from 4th Squadron 14th Cavalry.

Met you at the night cache QFC at the Gig Harbor Cache Machine. My son, also a cavalry scout is out now but my older brother is over in northern Iraq now. He is flying blackhawks now instead of the corbras he used to fly. He is from the AK national guard. Stay safe and if you get a lift from CW4 Hosack tell him hi from his next younger brother.

Met you at the night cache QFC at the Gig Harbor Cache Machine. My son, also a cavalry scout is out now but my older brother is over in northern Iraq now. He is flying blackhawks now instead of the corbras he used to fly. He is from the AK national guard. Stay safe and if you get a lift from CW4 Hosack tell him hi from his next younger brother.

I remember you too along with Marathonman. I will look for your Brother over here. Since I'm the First Sergeant one of my jobs is coordinating flights with the Blackhawks and Chinooks. I will say hello if I see him.

Token of appreciation mailed to ya this afternoon, Cav_Scout. Threw in an Altoids tin for geocaching 'connection'... and very nearly included half a dozen used, dirty golf balls, but postage was getting prohibitive... :D

Ooooooh, a palace. Saddam didn't happen to leave any crown jewels scattered about the place, did he? Nice bling for geocaching prizes, maybe?

Token of appreciation mailed to ya this afternoon, Cav_Scout. Threw in an Altoids tin for geocaching 'connection'... and very nearly included half a dozen used, dirty golf balls, but postage was getting prohibitive... :D

Ooooooh, a palace. Saddam didn't happen to leave any crown jewels scattered about the place, did he? Nice bling for geocaching prizes, maybe?

I will post some pictures of the palace. I will be posting some pictures of the local Shiites muslims I am working with. They are really nice people and like the US Soldiers.

Looks like you may be working with my husband, Cav Scout. If you see any of the engineers don't raz them too much. :D Stay safe.

I'm attached to a INF Battallion that has a company of Engineers with them. Those guys are always the stinkiest group of Soldiers I've ever seen :D . But they get the job done. I don't think I've seen your husband yet. I will look for him.

Cav Scout

The mouse family would be happy to send you a cheesy care package, but it might get kinda smelly. :laughing: Hey, maybe the engineer guys would like it!

MamaMouse

and the Mouse Kids

NenaMouse

JazzyCacher

MineeMouse

Hi,

If you send me a care package it can be no larger than a shoe box. I would greatly accept anything fromthe states!

My Address

1SG Roy Stoehr

A Troop, Task Force 2-1 INF

APOAE 09319

Thanks!

Today as I was walking around I noticed a local national staring at me. He looked as to if he wanted to kick my @ss. The first thing that came to my mind was to say "what are you looking at" but instead I said "HI" and would'nt you know it he smiled :laughing: and waved back at me.Sometimes a simple hello or hi will bring the best out of anyone :laughing: .

Just wanted to say Hi.

I Arrived in Iraq, on the fourth of July since have logged two caches here at LSA Anaconda.

I logged my favorite cache in AK, "The Trail of the Glacier Cache" down in the Juneau area, a couple of years ago. What a great place for geocaching!

Stay safe, Keep up the good work!

I thought I'd just jump in here. First, be thankful for the sunny days you are having. Rainy season is fast approaching and it is the pits. It may not rain often but when it does it pours and everything is mud (think quicksand). It does cool down and you will freeze even though the temps are in the 50s. The replacements that show up in the winter will laugh at you until they get to experience it!

If you need/want something, here is a POC for Operation Kool-aide in Kuwait. SSG Cindy DeVaughn//1993rd PSD//APO AE 09330//alternate POC SGT Mike Caldwell//same address They are there to not only do their military mission but have volunteered to help send care packages to remote/northern based soldiers. (At least that's how I started it and I assume it continues following those guidelines.) I know that they just got or will receive shortly about 70lbs of magazines donated by our local Harley Owners Group. Plenty to share with fellow bikers or anyone wanting to know about bikes! I also know that they get lots of regular care packages too. Just drop them a line. This effort was started by Where's George and is open to anyone.

Good luck!

Terri