Feature Request: Ability To E-mail Event Attendees

Hynr

I wonder if we can get a feature put in place to allow event cache owners to send a message through the GC email system to all those who have indicated that they "Will attend". It would also be helpful to be able to send a message to all who indicated that they "Attended". The feature would only be available to the "owner" of the event cache.

In my particular case I am holding an educational event tomorrow and it would be very useful to communicate some last-minute information to those coming. I anticipate getting some questions at the event for which I do not know the answer - communicating the answers after I get them would be very helpful.

This feature would be especailly beneficial to all geocachers in cases where an event needs to be cancelled or moved.

It is an interesting idea, though as already pointed out you could just suggest people watch the listing in case there are any updates. That way you can post notes to the page for those reviewing the page and for those watching the listing. Unless the email was also posted to the page some people may miss some valuable information.

If the "attendees" put the cache on their watchlist, they'll get an email when you post a log to the page.

Very true -- however there are many people who don't add events to their watch lists (or remove events from there watch lists a day or two prior the event) because the don't want all the 'bug drop' emails.

I usually do this and know of others who do. I forgot to take myseld off of the GeoBash event watchlist prior to leaving town for the event. When I returned I had a hundred or so 'bug drop' emails waiting for me.

I think the OP's suggestion is a good idea.

If the "attendees" put the cache on their watchlist, they'll get an email when you post a log to the page.
Maybe they should; but most don't and won't. If they did, then we would not need this feature. I personally very rarely put events on my watchlists because the events around here are well attended and generate up to a hundred "Will Attend" logs before, and "Attended" after, the event.

It is an interesting idea, though as already pointed out you could just suggest people watch the listing in case there are any updates. That way you can post notes to the page for those reviewing the page and for those watching the listing. Unless the email was also posted to the page some people may miss some valuable information.
This is indeed a very useful feature and I do use it. But many don't see it. It could be a very useful addition to have any e-mail sent this way also automatically generate a log at the cachepage or simply get tacked on to the cache page's long description.
Maybe they should; but most don't and won't. If they did, then we would not need this feature. I personally very rarely put events on my watchlists because the events around here are well attended and generate up to a hundred "Will Attend" logs before, and "Attended" after, the event.

This is indeed a very useful feature and I do use it. But many don't see it. It could be a very useful addition to have any e-mail sent this way also automatically generate a log at the cachepage or simply get tacked on to the cache page's long description.

It's very easy to setup an email filter to delete logs with the subject "so and so posted a will attend log on such and such event". That way, only notes will show up in your inbox.

I've found this to be fine in the past. You don't want to "spam" people, so the watchlist is kind of a way for them to "opt in" on notifications.

Someday, it'd be cool to see some event-specific cache page items though. Like # of people who've logged will attend and then # that post attended. Maybe a map that marks the home coords of those coming (sans identifying info). Possibly an "email this event to a friend" link or something.