The "frog Eating Popcorn" Smiley

Hugh Jazz

That icon is disrespectful, granted(?)...

but where's the outrage on this drug-free family friendly board about this one:

:D

I mean look closely at the sequence, what exactly is that frog licking? :P

(and where can I get some!) Where's the Sorta-Irish guy being sarcastic icon when you need it.

:D:D:););)B):P:D

Wow. I never thought I'd see so many posts about a stupid frog eating popcorn. If we all posted what "upset" us, or "offended" us, what a huge crying towel this would become!

Laugh it off!!! Nobody is being disrespectful if they post this: :D

Kinda ironic that someone who calls themselves "Hugh Jazz" finds a popcorn-eating frog offensive, isn't it?

;)

Can I throw in that I really think the Santa-hat signal :D is disrespectful of our Jewish caching friends, and this one :D would be highly offensive to our fellow burka-wearing cachers?

I thought the :P was supposed to be highly offensive to those of us who are ninja's.

Could be a ninja in a burka...........

Can I throw in that I really think the Santa-hat signal :D is disrespectful of our Jewish caching friends, and this one :D would be highly offensive to our fellow burka-wearing cachers?

I thought the :P was supposed to be highly offensive to those of us who are ninja's.

Could be a ninja in a burka...........

So to make it OK for the ninja's you pick on those with tropia!!!!! :D

Oooh. I like! That'll help save the approvers a lot of time!

Forget this:

Dear Team Perks,

Your cache was not approved. According to the cache placement guidelines, blah blah blah blah virtuals must be unique blah blah blah 528 feet rule blah blah blah blah railroad tracks blah blah blah blah right next to the airport blah blah blah blah caches inside elementary school cafeterias are not allowed blah blah blah blah.

Respectfully,

Keystone

From now on, it could just be:

Dear Team Perks,

Your cache was not approved. signalviolin0nl.gif

Respectfully,

Keystone

Sweet. :D

I would like to amend the topic to include the protest of the use of emoticons featuring frogs playing violins or other stringed instruments. Those too are offensive and disprespectful and in violation of forum guidelines concerning respectful conduct vis-a-vis others, and I respectfully submit that these too be rescinded from the site. Emoticons featuring frogs playing the saxophone would be preferable, as the saxophone has never been associated with anything disrespectful in any form or shape.

I may need to create yet another personality to deal with this situation. Your disregard for forum decorum is in itself disrespectful of all site users.

Oh and the Hugh Jazz persona does not hunt micros and will never place one unless it is a really, really, BIG one.  Yes it is possible to place a huge (and by huge I mean five gallon sized) log-only microcache. As you will see.

I find this offensive

(and by huge I mean five gallon sized)

What exactly are you implying here?? :D

:D:D:P

I thought the  :huh:  was supposed to be highly offensive to those of us who are ninja's.

:P I thought a ninja never admitted he was one.

And if found out committed honorable hara-kiri. ;)

Just because they don't admit they are Ninja's, they are still offeneded. That make them more dangerous, they are offended, you just don't know it, until its too late.....

:P;):P :P

The icon is fine.  It's how it's used that can be disrespectful.  That's going to vary by the poster.  Every now and then I see a topic or question and then I see 20 posts in a row about popcorn and llamas.  Sometimes it is rude.
If you look closely at the icon: the level of disrespectfulness totally depends on whether the frog is smiling or frowning. Obvioulsy an evil grin would be disrespectful but the nice pleasant smile is OK!

You mean something like... signalviolin0nl.gif
That's cool. Could I get a non-disrespectful smiling one with the frog playing a guitar instead of a violin? I might acutally use that one as an avitar.... unless, of course, that would offend someone's sensibilities.
Oh and the Hugh Jazz persona does not hunt micros and will never place one unless it is a really, really, BIG one. Yes it is possible to place a huge (and by huge I mean five gallon sized) log-only microcache. As you will see.

If you mean a 5-gallon water container filled with film cannisters...it's been done.

Ed

ps: The badge hates it when people talk in the third person.

If you mean a 5-gallon water container filled with film cannisters...it's been done.

Nope, because that would encourage the spawning of more micros which I won't hunt. What I have in mind is a 5 gal paint bucket with the body painted black and the lid painted grey. Inside is one of those industrial rolls of continuous brown restroom hand-towel paper, and a home-made pencil that's about half the size of a baseball bat.

:P I would definately call this thread a good example of semi free speech.

BAAAd smileys! :P Die Die Die! :huh:

The Groundspeak government cannot interfere with free speech. In these forums, emoticons are a form of speech and very important since some of the forum readers have degraded or absent sarcasm and irony senses while some others seem to lack everything but those senses. So the whole request from the OP is asking the site admins to violate the first amendment and therefore has to be rejected ... unless supreme court rules against popcorn eating smileys, of course.

Jan

:) I would definately call this thread a good example of semi free speech.

BAAAd smileys! :)  Die Die Die! :)

The Groundspeak government cannot interfere with free speech. In these forums, emoticons are a form of speech and very important since some of the forum readers have degraded or absent sarcasm and irony senses while some others seem to lack everything but those senses. So the whole request from the OP is asking the site admins to violate the first amendment and therefore has to be rejected ... unless supreme court rules against popcorn eating smileys, of course.

Jan

:) Since you quoted me for some reason I cannot fathom I must stress that the stuff I printed here is a joke and I was just kidding.

Hence the two smileys ( which I use a lot cause they are kind of cool ).

On the issues of strict Freedom of Speech ( note the CAPITALS ) Groundspeak has the right to censure as long as they are reasonable in such duties.

They should not show favoritism, try to overthrow the government or use negligent

actions in this endeavor.

This forum is owned and operated by Groundspeak and you have given them permission to censure by using it.

I have been having a bit of fun with the management by stressing that we have SEMI free speech.

Keep it lite and breezy:o

Hugh Jazz 

Posted: Aug 14 2005, 01:15 PM

(The Badge & the Butterfly @ Aug 14 2005, 09:29 AM)

Nope, because that would encourage the spawning of more micros which I won't hunt. What I have in mind is a 5 gal paint bucket with the body painted black and the lid painted grey. Inside is one of those industrial rolls of continuous brown restroom hand-towel paper, and a home-made pencil that's about half the size of a baseball bat.

Now that one I'd hunt.

I really think you need to address the issue of dancing chickens and bouncing sheep. These may actually be subliminal EROTIC images designed to corrupt the minds of geocachers. The moral breakdown caused by these images could lead to even worse activities such as the posting of popcorn eating frogs or violin playing frogs. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!

(This stupidity added because I can't believe this idiotic thread is still going.)

Those of you who know me in person know I've made no secret that I'm actually lowracer in the flesh.  But before you cry foul, Hugh Jazz is no SockPuppet. The lowracer account was self-terminated some months ago.  A new persona was desired, more in keeping with my current interests and patterned after the smooth yet intellectually stimulating Jazz of Hugh Masekela.  In keeping with the 'smooth' theme, the persona of Hugh Jazz (sorry this is not intended as a non-family friendly name as you'll see "Hugh Jass" was already taken and by a fellow austinite no less!, though the reference is there for those who will see it and I admit it is kinda funny) does not incite statewide geo-secession (what, Kansas secede? get real, where would it go and who would have it?) and Hugh does not cache on other listing sites besides this one, though he is knowledgeable about the features of each site and will tell rebel-rouser Texans like Snoogans to go cache there instead if he doesn't understand or accept how this one operates, and leave the rest of us to enjoy things the way they are, the way they always have been, and be respectful to each other and never ever shout or use derision, or call for any site volunteer to be fired.

Hugh is respectful though perhaps a bit pompous in the forums and does not flame others nor is he ever disrespectful vis-a-vis the owners of this or any site.  (Hugh also thinks the French phrase 'vis-a-vis' is patently stupid and so therefore tries to interject it into any place where it really doesn't belong but sounds like it might.)

However, that being said, and steering this back on topic, Hugh really does find the popcorn emoticon offensive and would like to request that others not use it in a derisive and disrespectful way, as has been done today (a fine example to prove the point of the original post).

Oh and the Hugh Jazz persona does not hunt micros and will never place one unless it is a really, really, BIG one.  Yes it is possible to place a huge (and by huge I mean five gallon sized) log-only microcache. As you will see.

BTW Judy_Jetson is no more.  She fell to the dark side of the force, effected a gender and species change, added some cyborg metal tech stuff, and was reborn online on Unreal Tournament 2004 as "Darth_Jetson," and now nightly kicks butt in Onslaught, usually on the clan server known as "House of Pain."  Sorry but the IP address escapes me at the moment.  Look it up if you want to try your ski11z against Darth_Jetson.

Hugh Jazz doesn't play online games.  He caches in Wichita KS, where they're still caching like it's 1950, with Wally and The Beav.  Really, there's no other way to describe it.  If you haven't cached Wichita, come try it.  It's quaint.  It's refreshing. Bring the kids, bring a nickel for the movies...

...and Pass the Popcorn.

Thank you for clearing that up.

(Now, let's see how many ways a simple statement like that can be fraught with alternate meaning...)

If I'd placed a popcorn eating amphibian there, people (or Hugh) might yell at me!

If I'd placed a big grin there, people would rally for me!

If I'd placed a Hugh Jazz there... (Oh c'mon - I'm KIDDING NOW!)

I like Popcorn Signal, no matter how many alternate meanings he engenders (did I lose anyone on "engenders")

[grin!]

--Marc

August 15, 2005 @ 2:59 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Now I remember at the last meeting of the forum users group it was decided that if Trinity's crew posted a note we were all supposed to stop using that thread, but this thread is just too much fun. Maybe the executive committee can give us some guidance?

Edited by Blanston12