The "frog Eating Popcorn" Smiley

Hugh Jazz

I find it egregiously disrespectful and hurtful of others feelings when some posters use the animated "Frog Eating Popcorn" or 'drama' clickable smiley, as it is known. Use of this particular "emoticon" as such graphical icons are called, says to the original poster basically your concern or request that you have posted in the forum is simply a frivolous or entertaining drama and we shouldn't take it seriously but rather we should instead have our enjoyment of the resultant forum drama at your expense.

I think the powers that be should seriously consider redacting this smiley from the retinue of choices as its current usage does not seem to be consistent vis-a-vis with the forum guidelines regarding showing proper respect for individual posters.

For reference, this is the "emoticon" to which I am referring:

;)

I do not place the emoticon here as a comment on this thread in any way nor do I invite respondents to simply respond with this emoticon as a personal insult, as some are certainly most likely to do anyway, despite this request.

My name is Hugh Jazz, and I approved this message.

I guess I have never seen it used in the manner you describe. Usually, I have seen it used after someone has posted something controversial and the poster is saying "I am going to eat a snack and watch the fur-fly."

That's exactly the manner in which he describes.

You'd get forum moderated for simply posting "Haha, that's so dumb..this should be entertaining!!" but you are allowed the ability to :huh: or ;) instead.

Lowracer, I find your current profile name to be disrespectful on a family-friendly site.

;)

So, who has the record for socks?

:huh:

I believe that would be either mtn-man or Spartacus.

:(

Ahhh. How many times has someone tried to use "Richard Smoker" or " Mike Hunt"?

;)

Oh, shoot. I don't think I'm getting enough sleep lately. I've been trying to come up with a response to the OP that is grievously disrespectful, mildly amusing and still likely to sail past the moderators without earning me a vacation. I can't seem to to it.

Will everyone just imagine I made such a post? Thank you.

I very much appreciate the OP’s concern and I have no intention of belittling it. This is the only forum I go to and I frequently find folks somewhat disrespectful. As illustration I simply point to the preceding posts above; a few recent ones further up are perfect examples. But I personally would like to see the censorship-line not redrawn to the level suggested.

When I first saw the icon used I had no clue what it meant. Now that I see a few opinions of what it might mean, I still have no clue what it actually means (if anything). I suspect most folks will read into it whatever they want. As such the act of censorship seems more repulsive to me than the icon.

Here are some things I think the icon might mean to the person using the icon in her/his post:

- “It’s time to take a break.”

- “It’s time to go watch some movies”

- “Jeremy is hungry and only gets popcorn and soda these days - renew your premium membership now!”

- Poster wants to send subliminal message to get you to go get a snack.

- Poster thinks the operative comment or issue is “food for thought”.

- Poster wants to say that my computer does not have enough to do, so let’s get a few annimated icons running to put the CPU to work.

I'm sure others have found the ambiguity equally inspiring.

Edited by Hynr
While we're all venting... ;) ... I have an issue with the use of the acronym "WTF". :huh: I happen to know what the "F" stands for. Really. I looked it up.

:(

I always thought it stood for 'What The Fetch' GOSH! (or possibly Flip)

we need a smilie with an glasses and an afro!

460.gif460.gif460.gif460.gif

The above smileys just mean I'm easily amused or just plain simple your choice.

For the OP - It's all a matter of perception. If I use the 'drama' smiley it could simply mean that your post interests me and I'm letting you know I'm hanging around to see what happens. I like it better than ;)

YMMV

Those of you who know me in person know I've made no secret that I'm actually lowracer in the flesh. But before you cry foul, Hugh Jazz is no SockPuppet. The lowracer account was self-terminated some months ago. A new persona was desired, more in keeping with my current interests and patterned after the smooth yet intellectually stimulating Jazz of Hugh Masekela. In keeping with the 'smooth' theme, the persona of Hugh Jazz (sorry this is not intended as a non-family friendly name as you'll see "Hugh Jass" was already taken and by a fellow austinite no less!, though the reference is there for those who will see it and I admit it is kinda funny) does not incite statewide geo-secession (what, Kansas secede? get real, where would it go and who would have it?) and Hugh does not cache on other listing sites besides this one, though he is knowledgeable about the features of each site and will tell rebel-rouser Texans like Snoogans to go cache there instead if he doesn't understand or accept how this one operates, and leave the rest of us to enjoy things the way they are, the way they always have been, and be respectful to each other and never ever shout or use derision, or call for any site volunteer to be fired.

Hugh is respectful though perhaps a bit pompous in the forums and does not flame others nor is he ever disrespectful vis-a-vis the owners of this or any site. (Hugh also thinks the French phrase 'vis-a-vis' is patently stupid and so therefore tries to interject it into any place where it really doesn't belong but sounds like it might.)

However, that being said, and steering this back on topic, Hugh really does find the popcorn emoticon offensive and would like to request that others not use it in a derisive and disrespectful way, as has been done today (a fine example to prove the point of the original post).

Oh and the Hugh Jazz persona does not hunt micros and will never place one unless it is a really, really, BIG one. Yes it is possible to place a huge (and by huge I mean five gallon sized) log-only microcache. As you will see.

BTW Judy_Jetson is no more. She fell to the dark side of the force, effected a gender and species change, added some cyborg metal tech stuff, and was reborn online on Unreal Tournament 2004 as "Darth_Jetson," and now nightly kicks butt in Onslaught, usually on the clan server known as "House of Pain." Sorry but the IP address escapes me at the moment. Look it up if you want to try your ski11z against Darth_Jetson.

Hugh Jazz doesn't play online games. He caches in Wichita KS, where they're still caching like it's 1950, with Wally and The Beav. Really, there's no other way to describe it. If you haven't cached Wichita, come try it. It's quaint. It's refreshing. Bring the kids, bring a nickel for the movies...

...and Pass the Popcorn.

Oh, shoot. I don't think I'm getting enough sleep lately. I've been trying to come up with a response to the OP that is grievously disrespectful, mildly amusing and still likely to sail past the moderators without earning me a vacation. I can't seem to to it.

Will everyone just imagine I made such a post? Thank you.

No! It's your own fault that you have set our expectations so high...now get busy!

:lol:

I find it egregiously disrespectful and hurtful of others feelings when some posters use the animated "Frog Eating Popcorn" or 'drama' clickable smiley, as it is known. Use of this particular "emoticon" as such graphical icons are called, says to the original poster basically your concern or request that you have posted in the forum is simply a frivolous or entertaining drama and we shouldn't take it seriously but rather we should instead have our enjoyment of the resultant forum drama at your expense.

I think the powers that be should seriously consider redacting this smiley from the retinue of choices as its current usage does not seem to be consistent vis-a-vis with the forum guidelines regarding showing proper respect for individual posters.

For reference, this is the "emoticon" to which I am referring:

I do not place the emoticon here as a comment on this thread in any way nor do I invite respondents to simply respond with this emoticon as a personal insult, as some are certainly most likely to do anyway, despite this request.

My name is Hugh Jazz, and I approved this message.

I use the popcorn/drama icon to mean:

"I can't wait to see where this thread is going. This is interesting."

I think you are reading *way* too much into a little icon.

Hugh is respectful though perhaps a bit pompous in the forums and does not flame others nor is he ever disrespectful vis-a-vis the owners of this or any site. (Hugh also thinks the French phrase 'vis-a-vis' is patently stupid and so therefore tries to interject it into any place where it really doesn't belong but sounds like it might.)

However, that being said, and steering this back on topic, Hugh really does find the popcorn emoticon offensive and would like to request that others not use it in a derisive and disrespectful way, as has been done today (a fine example to prove the point of the original post).

Oh and the Hugh Jazz persona does not hunt micros and will never place one unless it is a really, really, BIG one. Yes it is possible to place a huge (and by huge I mean five gallon sized) log-only microcache. As you will see.

Hugh Jazz doesn't play online games. He caches in Wichita KS, where they're still caching like it's 1950, with Wally and The Beav. Really, there's no other way to describe it. If you haven't cached Wichita, come try it. It's quaint. It's refreshing. Bring the kids, bring a nickel for the movies...

Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that he refers to himself in the 3rd person? I'm starting to wonder if Hugh Jazz is his screen name, or yet another personality.

This may be the weekest 'sock run amuck' thread I've ever seen.

He's got a thesaurus and a spellchecker. One of those high-society socks. More of a mid-calf black dress sock than a smelly old gym sock with a hole for the big toe.

For the erudite hosiery item, demanding the "redaction" of a forum smiley is the very essence of naughty.

Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that he refers to himself in the 3rd person? I'm starting to wonder if Hugh Jazz is his screen name, or yet another personality.

Hugh Jazz, lowracer, and Darth (formerly Judy) Jetson are not disturbed by this any more than your having two names combined in a single account. You combine two separate personalities into one screen name. Hugh Jazz is part of one person with three (or more) separate personalities, each vis-a-vis their own screen name. What's more disturbing? At least we know where the boundaries between our personalities lie.

We respectfully submit that you, however, seem unsure. :P

When popcorn eating emoticons are outlawed, only outlaws will use popcorn eating emoticons!!!

Thanks Jamie, that's going to be tough to follow.

...but we'll see who can do it. By utterly overwhelming popular demand and more than a few threats of bodily injury, I am cheerfully re-opening the topic. Please just whatever you do, don't post any popcorn emoticons. They offend me. Thank you.

My name is Hugh Jazz, and I closed but then later cheerfully re-opened this thread.

Edited by Hugh Jazz
Maybe a rolling eyes icon? Oh we have that one.  :lol: Maybe a Signal one is in order.

We also need a beer-signal. And don't come with "can't do beer ... yadda ... family friendly". Beer drinkers are better lovers, so it IS family friendly!

Jan

How's this to go with your popcorn? beer.gif:P

How's this to go with your popcorn? beer.gif:lol:

That's just totally wrong. I mean, he keeps eating popcorn and he's not even looking at that cool delicious glass of pixel beer. Drink it Signal! What's wrong with you?

Oh yeah. They're pixels. Why am I even posting in this thread?