Ok, Who's Gonna Be The First To Put A Cache Here?

Unless something changed - that isn't a National Park. When I lived in Redding, that area was part of the Shasta-Trinity-Whiskeytown National Recreation Area. I have no idea what the caching policies are for that area, but I do know of caches in other NRA places such as Flaming Gorge NRA on the Wyoming-Utah border.

My dad had a close friend named Dick McDermott from when we lived in Redding when he worked for the Fish & Game up there. I have no idea if its the same guy mentioned in the article, but its possible. I guess as much time as my dad spent in Whiskeytown in the 60s its possible he may know about the falls as well. It seems like it was more well known at that time and was more "forgotton" than now recently "discovered"

Don’t go chasing waterfalls.  Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that

you’re used to.

Great, now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head :lol:

There are worse songs to have stuck in your head. For example, the "Rubber Ducky" song is almost impossible to get out of your head once it's in there. :P

just because they (National Parks and National Rec Areas) are managed by the same people is no reason to assume they are subject to the same rules - if you really want to know, I suggest you shoot off an email rather than jumping to contusions.

(edited to fix grammar)

Edited by OHMIKY
just because they (National Parks and National Rec Areas) are managed by the same people is no reason to assume they are subject to the same rules - if you really want to know, I suggest you shoot off an email rather than jumping to contusions.

(edited to fix grammar)

Based on two years of reviewing geocache submissions, I think it's quite safe to assume that any land managed by the National Park Service is subject to a ban on geocaching, unless and until proven otherwise. It doesn't matter if it's a National Park, National Recreation Area, National Monument or whatever.

I can point to at least three examples of caches placed WITH PERMISSION in National Recreation Areas within my review territory. In each case, after I noted the NPS ban, the cache hider contacted the local ranger and reported back that permission was obtained. So, I listed the caches. Again in each case, once supervisory personnel within the National Park Service learned that the caches were present, the caches were removed by park rangers. Permission given at a lower level was rescinded at a higher level.

Here is a sample of a recent "Should be Archived" log for one of these caches:

Ladies and Gentlemen, The {XYZ} Cache was removed from the site and confiscated by National Park Rangers on July 11, 2005. The site location is on public lands managed by the {Name of National Recreation Area}. Geocaching on public lands of the National Park Service is illegal and subject to regulations established by Congress. The Park Service encourages the adherence to all park laws and regulations for the benefit of public lands for future generations.

What contusion would anyone like to jump to?

(edited to fix grammar)

Hey, all I was saying is that all the caches in the Lkae Mead Nat. Rec area got yanked, and the reason cited was the NP ban, and that new caches will not be approved there for the same reason. Whether or not this applies to other NRAs is unknown to me, I was just saying.....

Plus, I'd rather not do any jumping that results in contusions :P:P

EDIT: Ah, heck, KA went and backed up my earlier post while I was busy backpedelling, now I look foolish :lol:

Edited by VegasCacheHounds
just because they (National Parks and National Rec Areas) are managed by the same people is no reason to assume they are subject to the same rules

Actually, all lands managed by the National Parks Service, or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, *are* off-limits to geocaches.

Read the guidelines, specifically the first point under "Off-limit (Physical) Caches"

It should be noted that not all NRAs are managed by the Park Service. Some are, but there are many that are not.

Not to derail the conversation from whether you have a right to leave a cache there, but I'm curious where it actually is.

Looking at Crystal Creek on Garmin US TOPO, I see some likely places, but none really jump out at me. Three tiers dropping 400 feet would be noticable on a map. There are a few places with sharp elevation changes, but there are roads or campsites nearby. I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that it would've been "found" before now if it were near a road or campsite.

I'm going to wager a guess that it might be at or near

N40 36.382 W122 41.236

or

N40 37.076 W122 40.183

The second one is labeled at "stream" in US TOPO but it feeds into what is labeled Crystal Creek a little further down.

Any other guesses?

The following is from the National Park Service page for the Whiskeytown area. It indicates that of the three parts of the Whiskeytown - Shasta - Trinity National Recreation Area, the Whiskeytown Unit is the only unit administered by the National Park Service.

Depending on where the falls are may make a big difference. In any case contacting the management unit for the area should answer all your Whiskeytown Fall Cache placement questions.

As for songs sticking in your head this one usually does it. :D

Don’t go chasing waterfalls.  Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that

you’re used to.

Great, now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head :)

There are worse songs to have stuck in your head. For example, the "Rubber Ducky" song is almost impossible to get out of your head once it's in there. :)

this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people starteds singing it and the'll continue singing it

this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it

forever just because this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end it goes on and on again some people started singing it and they'll continue singing it forever just becasue...... :)

Edited by WH
At what point does a creek running down hill become a waterfall?  Is there a certain degree drop that makes the diff?

The only "official falls" in Michigan's Lower Penninsula is Ocqueoc Falls. It's largest drop is five feet. It really looks like just a small rapids, but someone has designated it a falls. There's a World Waterfall Database I found recently; they don't even count any of the many falls in the Upper Penninsula (nothing under 300 feet is good enough for them, unless it has a large volume). The site has some amazing pictures.

I saw the posted story a few days ago. I'm stunned that something like this can still be out there. It sounds like there are even trails right to it, it's just that few people take them.

Edited by Dinoprophet
National Rec Areas are managed byt the same folks as National Parks, and therefore fall under the same regs.

The National Recreation Areas outside of Fairbanks fall under BLM jurisdiction. BLM is pretty geocaching friendly except for very specific sensitive or research areas within the boundaries of the jurisdiction.

National Wildlife Refuges (like Arctic National Wildlife Refuge) fall under US Fish and Wildlife, which just removed on cache from ANWR and halted approval of a second.

Edit: What Hemlock said a ways above...should read entire thread before posting...didn't realize NRAs could fall under National Park jurisdiction, too.

Edited by Ladybug Kids
BTW I sure hope someone puts a cache as close as possible to the Whiskeytown Falls.  I would like to know better where it is.

Vader Spade logged Whiskeytown Falls as a locationless cache last week. Thanks to him I hiked out and found the falls the other day. A sign at the trailhead lists the falls as 1.7 miles, but the trail crew told me it could be a few years until they are finished.

When is NRA not NRA. The same NRA with the waterfall has previously had one virtual registered. It just had a small cache published, "X" GCQ23Z. Perhaps it is the proximity to the road but this is the first non-virtual in the NRA. If there are exceptions, it would be nice to understand the reason.