Coin Etiquette Question, Is This An Acceptable?

Iceburger

I've just gotten my first 2 usa coins in the mail today :D Other than being psyched about it, I have a question....

I have a TB hotel placed in my back yard, would it be acceptable to leave one of the coins in the hotel, and ask that it is left there? I would love to always have a coin there for visitors to log. What's your opinion? thanks :rolleyes:

I've just gotten my first 2 usa coins in the mail today :D  Other than being psyched about it, I have a question.... 

I have a TB hotel placed in my back yard, would it be acceptable to leave one of the coins in the hotel, and ask that it is left there?  I would love to always have a coin there for visitors to log.  What's your opinion?  thanks :rolleyes:

I think that's a perfectly good idea. But depending on how "desirable" geocoins are in your area, you could easily have it taken without a second thought. However, with the right adhesive, you should be just fine!

Edited by YemonYime

This is an interesting topic. Consider all the different geocoins now that are trackable with their own icons (or at least title) on GC.com, and how scarce some have already become. I just can't really imagine anyone physically putting something like a German or Colorado or GeoWoodstock coin in a cache. Chances are that once it was found, it would never be circulated again. Even the readily available and most common USA Geocoins don't circulate very well.

Considering that, what are these coins all about if the odds of ever finding one in a cache are practically nil? Are they just going to be showpieces at events? Would it be OK to maybe show the coin in a cache but put some sort of code in a cache that the cachefinder could use to get the code from the coin owner so they could log the coin without physically finding it? :P

I've just gotten my first 2 usa coins in the mail today :P  Other than being psyched about it, I have a question.... 

I have a TB hotel placed in my back yard, would it be acceptable to leave one of the coins in the hotel, and ask that it is left there?  I would love to always have a coin there for visitors to log.  What's your opinion?  thanks :P

Coins and TBs are allowed a lot of flexibility in regards to finding/logging requirements. I think if you can keep people from taking it, go for it.

As for Cache-bert’s question, why do you need the extra step? If you want to put the tb number out there allowing people to log it, you don’t need anything special to make it a legit find. Heck, there’s a TB you can retrieve that you never found and dropped into virtuals you never visited. (notes only of course)

I would love to always have a coin there for visitors to log.

Edit: Oh, and this would be a far better idea than requiring people to take one - leave one.

Edited by BlueDeuce