Cache Approval

swtjo2000

why is it taking so long to get my cache approved??

It has been 3 days and it says if your cache hasnt been approved in 72 hours to go to a link from the page of cache info.........I went there and it really just tells me nothing about why it is taking so long and is there a person to contact about this?

there hasnt been a new cache in our area for quite awhile and so its not like there are so many to go through. I mean no disrespect and know these are volunteers doing this but I have known them to come up within hours of being posted. so why do some take so long? A fellow cacher in the area hid 3 in one day and one was approved after a couple days but the other two took so long they werent even tagged as new when they did show up.

:D

Yes, I agree with the issue you've brought. I spoke with a Bay Area cacher last night who's cache was posted and FOUND within three hours. Then you have these caches that don't get seen until they're no longer new. It's puzzling. Do we need more volunteers? I'd consider it if it'd help our Central Valley Cachers enjoy the hunt a little more!

why is it taking so long to get my cache approved??

It has been 3 days and it says if your cache hasnt been approved in 72 hours to go to a link from the page of cache info.........I went there and it really just tells me nothing about why it is taking so long and is there a person to contact about this?

there hasnt been a new cache in our area for quite awhile and so its not like there are so many to go through. I mean no disrespect and know these are volunteers doing this but I have known them to come up within hours of being posted. so why do some take so long? A fellow cacher in the area hid 3 in one day and one was approved after a couple days but the other two took so long they werent even tagged as new when they did show up.

Have you written your reviewer and asked? Or written to contact@geocaching.com?

:D

Yes, I agree with the issue you've brought. I spoke with a Bay Area cacher last night who's cache was posted and FOUND within three hours. Then you have these caches that don't get seen until they're no longer new. It's puzzling. Do we need more volunteers? I'd consider it if it'd help our Central Valley Cachers enjoy the hunt a little more!

If you adjust the "hidden" date after it's reviewed, it will show up as new for that week.

I used to make that date the date I actually hid it, but sometimes that was a couple of days before I submitted it, then it takes a couple more to get approved.

Must have been one of your first few caches hidden. I just recently hid my first and had the same issue. I contacted the GC gods and got a very prompt response that made sense:

Original Message Follows:

Subject: Why hasn't my cache been approved?

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:56:58 -0000

Hello,

I placed a new cache on 07/17/05 which hasn't been approved yet. The link

to the cache is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ba-39a36fc66362

The cache is named Frank Nelson Park Cache and the assigned waypoint is

GCPR7W. Following the guidelines, I've been checking for messages to be

posted, but to date, there have been none.

Just checking on when I can expect it to be posted. Thanks in advance and

please let me know if you need anything else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response Received:

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:56:50 -0700

Subject: Re: [#213673] Why hasn't my cache been approved?

Hi there

Though it is posted that caches generally get approved within 72 hours,

please realize that our local reviewers have full-time jobs, families,

etc. Sometimes it can take longer than expected. If it has been longer

than a week, please get back to me and I would be more than happy to

investigate further.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Kerry

Groundspeak, Inc. - The Language of Location

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>

Hope this helps ya...it helped me and my cache ended up posted the next day.

Edited by Jester2112

I've never understood why gc.com encourages people to contact them after only 72 hours. I'm sure the workload for volunteer approvers fluctuates from week to week. I decided long ago that I should wait at least a week before making a contact. We have to plan ahead if need a cache approved by a specific date.

How do you find out who your reviewer is?

look at the bottom of a nearby cache. at the verry bottom, it should say "approved by XXXXX" clicking on the name will bring up the approvers account page where you can contact him

Only the cache owner and site volunteers and admins can see that information.

Email the contact address. They might see this topic and contact you too, but to be sure email the contact address.

;)

Yes, I agree with the issue you've brought.  I spoke with a Bay Area cacher last night who's cache was posted and FOUND within three hours.  Then you have these caches that don't get seen until they're no longer new.  It's puzzling.  Do we need more volunteers?  I'd consider it if it'd help our Central Valley Cachers enjoy the hunt a little more!

If you adjust the "hidden" date after it's reviewed, it will show up as new for that week.

I used to make that date the date I actually hid it, but sometimes that was a couple of days before I submitted it, then it takes a couple more to get approved.

Shees now I am scare that is what I do so if Saxman is doing it, LOL. Yes tht is a good thing to do. I had a cache from start to finish took like three months so the start date was in October but was finally approved in Jan, so just adjust the start date. Also if you I have heard if you bribe your approver with moonpies it helps.

cheers

How do you find out who your reviewer is?

look at the bottom of a nearby cache. at the verry bottom, it should say "approved by XXXXX" clicking on the name will bring up the approvers account page where you can contact him

Only the cache owner and site volunteers and admins can see that information.

Email the contact address. They might see this topic and contact you too, but to be sure email the contact address.

If it's a recent cache, there may be a "Published" log, you can try that if they seem to be the same for most of them. Check the profile of that reviewer, it might tell you if they cover your area.