What Are You Looking At

I look for a spot where a non geocacher is unlikely to accidently find the cache, but someone who is looking for it would say to theirselves "Hmmm, I bet its there".

For ammo boxes I use flat black and brown spraypaint to create a camo pattern, or Fleckstone paint so it will look like a rock.

For Lock n Lock containers I use camo duct tape. Here are some of my typical camo jobs:

9214b50d-bded-485c-8153-d088a90852e6.jpg

edf83031-10c3-4391-a24b-3d5a3883dbc0.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I use a procedure very similar to Criminal's in thread.

Does the fleckstone paint hold up well? Did you use a sealer or anything on it?

Edit to mention that I use Rustoleum Camo paint (deep forest green, earth brown, khaki). I basically give the can a once over with the green to cover any rusty spots and any scary writin'. Then I lay out some twigs and shoot alternating wavy stripes of the brown and khaki. They usually turn out pretty good. Maybe I'll find some pics (or take one).

Edited by sbell111
I look for a spot where a non geocacher is unlikely to accidently find the cache, but someone who is looking for it would say to theirselves "Hmmm, I bet its there".

Exactly. I add one more dimension to my hiding spots. You don't have to look over your shoulder, to watch for muggles, while looking for my caches.

Does the fleckstone paint hold up well? Did you use a sealer or anything on it?
Without the sealer, the fleckstone "melts" in the rain.

I spend far more time researching a location before I place a cache nowadays. I look for historically significants spots, scenic vistas, or hidden gems in the Desert.

What do I look for? First and foremost, a reason to bring the person to that spot. It isn't usually because I want them to see a hollow tree or a stump, but because the view from nearby is really nice, or the trail runs along a babbling brook. Or it's a little park that nobody knows about.

Once I have a general area and a reason to bring people to it, I then decide on container and hiding spot. Sometimes I choose the container first. If it's deep in a State Forest, I'll use an ammo box. If it's a suburban park where kids play, I'll use a clear plastic Lock 'n Lock. Sometimes I choose the hiding place first, and then I go home and figure out what sort of container would fit there best.

In addition to what's been said above, when I look for a hiding place I try to find an area that has multiple hiding places -- but not too many, like a boulder field. Then I look for the most obvious hiding spot. Let's say it's the biggest fallen tree with the huge root structure. I will then avoid hiding the cache in that obvious spot, and instead choose a less obvious spot 20 feet away. This way, you don't get too many logs that say "quick find in the first spot I checked."

I prefer to do just the opposite. I look for a spot where someone who is looking for it wold say to themselves "Hmmm, I bet it's there"...and then I hide it someplace else. :D