Frs Radios

Rdut&Gabwp

What model/brand do you folks use? Where did you get your radio? Are they really useful, or just another fun toy?

Gabwp

If you are splitting up at all, they are very useful. But if the person is within easy earshot, not worth bothering. And depending on terrain and such, if they are more than maybe a half mile from you they aren't terribly helpful. Unless of course you're in an open level field under perfect atmospheric conditions, then they're good for "up to 2 miles".

To answer the first part, I have a set of cheap Cobra FRSs that have served me well for a few years now. I got them free from Nissan for test driving an XTerra, which is funny b/c I already owned one at the time. It's still my geovehicle :lol:

I bought a pair for caching with my daughter, but she lost hers during a nasty bushwack. I haven't missed the second radio a bit! I use the remaining one mainly when going on group cache hunts with multiple cars. The lead car has the navigator with a laptop computer loaded up with maps and geocaches. Once the next cache is identified on the map, the navigator relays its name and GC number to the other vehicles so they can pull up the waypoint on their GPS. He also relays directions, like "we'll be turning right in about a mile." Last month at an event cache, we kept a caravan of 18 people in 4 cars together using this method.

If you want additional range, take a look at getting an Amateur License and going with 2 meter radios. The tests have been greatly simplified in the last few years (no morse code!) and the range is virtually unlimited with links into repeaters and further links to the Internet. Take a look at www.arrl.org for more info.

HTH

I read somewhere on the website that Geocachers used Channel 2. So, if you are in the woods, you can see if someone else is in area too?

And no, I'm not buying that they aren't a toy! LOL.

Yup, channel 2 is official, channel 12 is alternate.

frs2.jpg

No really...valuable tools...wouldn't be caught without them...they're not toys.

Bret

Are many other geocachers using the Garmin Rhino? I got the Rhino because they can send their location to other Rhinos in a 2-mile radius.

I personally don't have much use for the voice side of the radio, just the positioning feature.

I'm hoping to find some other people near here to set up some sort of hide-and-seek games using that feature.

Thanks,

Rand

No, they are not a toy...especially if you get them with enough 'power' for them to get into the GMRS class.

In case you didn't know (as I didn't when I got them), the GMRS frequencies/powers require a FCC license to operate...well, at least you are SUPPOSED to get the license. And I did, I didn't want to take the chance.

I've got whatever brand it was that was free after mail-in rebate when I was in the store looking for a pair. They're around here somewhere......I think that pretty much sums up their usefulness most of the time.

No really...valuable tools...wouldn't be caught without them...they're not toys.

Bret

Keep repeating that often enough, and you might manage to convince yourself. :lol:

I've got whatever brand it was that was free after mail-in rebate when I was in the store looking for a pair. They're around here somewhere......I think that pretty much sums up their usefulness most of the time.

Bret

Keep repeating that often enough, and you might manage to convince yourself. :P

With exception of the tiny ones that can fit in 5 yr old hands and with limited range of a block or 2, they are more useful than mere toys and the old walkie-talkies of wonder years.

They're useful for areas that lack cellular coverage or you just want a quick communicative touch without having to hassle with the cell phone.

I have a pair of Motorola T7200's as well as a pair of the smaller T4900's.

Have you used, found this workable in the field?

I find the Garmin Rhino 120 to be VERY workable and easy to use in the field/woods in my area.

I like the B&W display because it's easier for me to read in sunlight than most of the color displays. I like the simple, easy way to upload waypoints to be found, and it's REALLY cool when you are "with" someone else but not within eyesight of eachother. The Polling feature is really cool.

I'll check out your other post too.

Rand

I have a pair of motorola T4900 FRS radios. FRS and GMRS are pretty much useless toys. If you are serious about wireless comunications just get a ham radio license, they are only $10.00 for ten years per person and the test is very easy to pass. A hand held ham radio will get you into repeaters that will relay your signal several miles, you can even get into some repeaters that are linked on the internet so that you talk to people in other parts of the world. Most areas of the US are covered by several repeaters, so you will get better coverage than then you will ever get with an FRS or GMRS radio or a cell phone for that matter.

I like Zingerhead's idea, 2 meter radios, since I have geofriends who are hams.

In fact, I learned about geocaching from two meter repeater contacts. I heard the guys talking about it. I have not cached with ham guys yet, but it would be a good way to cooridinate things. As you may tell from my handle, I am a ham

John

I bought a pair for caching with my daughter, but she lost hers during a nasty bushwack. I haven't missed the second radio a bit! I use the remaining one mainly when going on group cache hunts with multiple cars. The lead car has the navigator with a laptop computer loaded up with maps and geocaches. Once the next cache is identified on the map, the navigator relays its name and GC number to the other vehicles so they can pull up the waypoint on their GPS. He also relays directions, like "we'll be turning right in about a mile." Last month at an event cache, we kept a caravan of 18 people in 4 cars together using this method.

That is a great method. I want to use that method one day.