Signature Items

Rdut&Gabwp

Here is our bussines card (cachecard)

remotelinkforbidden.jpg

We are going to make shrinky-dink keychains, but havent got around to it.

Interesting geocache card. :rolleyes:

Actually, it looks like your service doesn't allow remote linking. You'll need to do that from another source.

Edited by TotemLake

These are what I make.MysteryInk1.jpg

The beads get expensive though and some are hard to find especially since I buy the beads individually. Eventually will start making my own glass beads again someday. My father & I drop them at worthy caches and they get snagged quickly.Every single one I make is different and people always like to trade for one we always enjoy the feedback on them.Two of my favorite sig items that I have traded for are,

globalgirls sig 8b1f751c-0957-4170-91b5-bb6b64773a89.jpg

& WorkerOfWoods clay tokens.

b6658c6b-54af-4031-b4ce-a7fe123659a5.jpg

I have not managed to find one of his wands yet.

WorkerOfWood_wand.jpg:lol:

I dont know what I would do if those disapeared from my collection. ;)

Edited by Mystery Ink

Shrinky Dink paper can be had at your local craft store. When purchased, it comes with instructions on how to do this. To tell which side to print on, wet your thumb and index finger and rub one small corner to find the sticky side. You print on the sticky side. The thing to remember with ink jet printers is to use a light print mode with light saturation. As the object shrinks to 25% of it's orginal size, the ink will compress into a deeper hue. I use the lightest settings possible.

You print, cut, punch a hole (optional), bake.

I tend to bake at about 350 degrees. Your mileage will vary from oven to oven and it will require several experiments and varying degrees of heat to finally get it right.

After baking, I drill a hole instead of punching a hole before hand. Placement and diameter is easier to choose.

Shrinky Dink paper can be had at your local craft store. When purchased, it comes with instructions on how to do this. To tell which side to print on, wet your thumb and index finger and rub one small corner to find the sticky side. You print on the sticky side. The thing to remember with ink jet printers is to use a light print mode with light saturation. As the object shrinks to 25% of it's orginal size, the ink will compress into a deeper hue. I use the lightest settings possible.

You print, cut, punch a hole (optional), bake.

I tend to bake at about 350 degrees. Your mileage will vary from oven to oven and it will require several experiments and varying degrees of heat to finally get it right.

After baking, I drill a hole instead of punching a hole before hand. Placement and diameter is easier to choose.

I forgot to mention, once the item is baked, you will need to spray clear coat on it to waterproof and scuff proof it. The ink will still bleed without this coating. I usually do a light coat first to set it, then a medium second coat.

When you bake the shrinky dink, they will curl and then flatten out, if they curl too much, then it may stick to itself. Again, experimentation on this will satisfy how hot or cool to make the oven. Too cool and it won't shrink all the way, not hot enough and the curl will stick to itself and not straighten back out. It only takes a few minutes, the same thing can happen if it is too hot, only now it puddles. I'm usually at the ready with two plastic spatulas to manipulate them as needed.

TotemLake,

Have you kept your shrinky dink in a damp or wet place for a few days to test the clear coat?

I used a clear coat on my homemade coins, not testing them. I found out when they get damp or wet the clear coat disintegrates and then my graphics would run and fade. I found an epoxy resin that work great. I let a coin underwater a few days without any problems.

Here is the stuff I use:

http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/castresn/castresn.htm#easy

TotemLake,

Have you kept your shrinky dink in a damp or wet place for a few days to test the clear coat?

I used a clear coat on my homemade coins, not testing them. I found out when they get damp or wet the clear coat disintegrates and then my graphics would run and fade. I found an epoxy resin that work great. I let a coin underwater a few days without any problems.

Here is the stuff I use:

http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/castresn/castresn.htm#easy

Not only have they survived in very damp places because I do coat both sides of the card and heavily with a second coat on the shrinky dink's printed side. I have held them under running water and tried to smear them.

I guess over time things will degrade. I had one that was in a cache for several months and open to the elements a few times I guess. The finder that rescued the cache said it was just slightly smeared, and this was out on a rocky point facing a very exposed position next to a very active body of water.

We've been collecting sig items since we started, it's just about the only thing we'll trade for in caches.

We leave, laminated cache cards, regular and micro sized, signature cache loot and numbered "NEO Geodogs[tm]" trackable on our webite. You can also see some of the sig items we've collected.

Wow, both your sig items AND you collection are amazing!

Our kids love making these. They are made from store bought beads, and provide a little family time when making them. We are always looking for new sayings and phrases to put on them. We leave them regardless of if we take or not.

geobracelets4ah.jpg

Edited by robree

We pass out Arrowheads &/or stone tools from the Silver Lake, Oregon area. Real ones upwards of 12,000 years old.

We get them from a private ranch after windstorms and rain have uncovered them. Valued at from a few cents up to a few bucks to $$$. Seems like we have passed out a few hundred of them by now. Rarely do we find them traded into another cache anywhere.

We have been looking to have a coin or tokens made or even hats for FTF prizes.

Logscaler.

SHRINKY DINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know that you could print on Shrinky Dinks! I also haven't seen packages of them in years....I still have some of the boxed sets from when I was a kid, and about 7 or 8 years ago my mom found me a book at the craft store that has instructions on how to make them, but only comes with a few sheets--not printable. If anyone can tell me a specific store where I can get the printable kind, please email me!

This thread is great...we don't "collect" sig. items, but often times we pick them up because they are neat. There is a geocaching family in Pittsburgh that does collect them, so we save them for them.

Our signature item is the small golf pencil with an eraser. It says "We came, we saw, we cached. lindsychris Pittsburgh, PA"

Not sure that anyone wants them, or takes them, but the are nice and small--and usefull.

This thread has inspired me to think about something new though!