Signature Items

Rdut&Gabwp

This picture is horribly out of date. I've updated the card a few times since then. But this is my signature card and lighthouse pin.

sigcard.jpg

I leave these in pretty much every cache I go to that can take one (It'd be interesting to know how many people have these in their collection..hmmmm). If I take something out of the cache, though, I'll leave something else along with the card. In other words, to me the card isn't really a trade item.

But that's just me.

Bret

Arrowheads.jpg

These are some of my Sig items, they are made from wood.

I placed a few in my caches, and they were popular at the last event. One of them was made into a TB called Heritage by Rileyfour

Now I need to get back in the shop and make more.

Edited by Cruiserdude

Took me a goodly while to come up with what I thought was a good sig item - i.e. one that was:

1. fitting with my "globalgirl" moniker

2. is halfway kewl, and...

3. is economical to produce - indeed, ideally in small batches - not having to cough up hundreds of dollars upfront as for minting one's own geocoin

Finally came up with my bitty globalgirl passports with attached glass globe marble:

8b1f751c-0957-4170-91b5-bb6b64773a89.jpg

The bitty passport is handmade and nearly an exact replica of my own passport, complete with U.S. seal watermarking on the pages and a bitty pic reduced from my own passport pic. They come in 3 flavors: just bitty passport, that I drop in most any cache save the smallest micros; passport with attached blue glass globe with green continents, that I drop in caches that I especially like; and the Rolls Royce version: passport with globe with 22k GOLD continents that I drop rarely - (only 2 so far) in my milestone cache finds or as a FTF prize in one of my new cache hides.

Each passport is numbered and you can track them HERE

And finally - to answer your question about trading... seems to me that sig items are not considered trade items - you can take them w/o leaving something if you like. But I generally do leave something if I take a sig item. Also, depending on the druthers of the sig owner, most sig tokens are meant to be kept if you like (many folks have collections), though you can of course move them to a new cache like travel bugs.

In short, no hard 'n fast rules - everybody plays this wondrous game, each in their own personal way. That's what I like best about it.

P.S. Now "Rdut and Gabwp" - not sure WHAT one might make a sig item for THAT moniker! :D

I make hiking sticks with a frog and a number burned into them so I can track them. I hide them away from caches I find and leave a special card for the next cachers to find them.(there's not always a place near the cache). So far I've given out 42 sticks, each complete with rubber tip and rawhide wristband, finished in 5 coats of urethane. Tried to send a pic--hope it goes through.

GlobalGirl - very kewl indeed.

I've gone through a number of things like my shotglass:

738e37e1-68b3-432d-a894-ee0ef61a766b.jpg

Wooden nickels:

khb_wooden_nickel.jpg

Bottle openers and hand-cut (with plasma cutter) "G-Spots" :lol:

opener.jpg

Also do a First To Find version:

plasma.jpg

(The KHB is for Kealia & Hula Bum - when my wife and I cache together and find a REALLY cool spot)

I don't know if I should call these signature items, but they actually might be, or become.

First, I repeatedly missed some gloves or at least a hiking staff - bushwhacking is just not enjoyable with bare hands. Second, I don't think that I would be a good cache maintainer, so I plan to rather NOT have hides any time soon. Third, I still want to put my $.02 into the bowl.

Combining those three I decided to leave CacherGloves in "addition" to any trade or TNLN

CacherGloves%23004.jpg

Jan

I just got done putting the finishing touches on my girlfriends signature item. Behold the Amputated Spoon Keychains.

3keychainssm.jpg

They each come in a little zip bag with a piece of paper explaining what it is and who left it.

keychaininbagsm.jpg

Oh yes, my signature item is a plastic spork that says sporkboy was here. For micros I have something very similar to my avatar laminated in clear contact paper.

Edited by sporkboy

I would appreciate hearing about anyone else who uses an OWL in any form of signature item. I love owls and have two or three different sig items that incorportate an owl. (See my avatar.)

I've already traded for one of Galahad's hand-carved owls.

I'd like to hear of any others so I can collect the complete set.

--SirGerald

My son and I make Sculpey eTrex Yellow beads and then macrame them onto lanyard clips to make zipper pulls. That's become our sig item. Our favorite sig item we've found so far is one of Victory Mike's chainmail keychains. My son STILL waxes rhapsodic about how he MET VICTORY MIKE, REALLY I DID!! (said loudly and with big goofy little-boy grin) We met him at a MiGO event, and it was like meeting a hero.

This picture is horribly out of date. I've updated the card a few times since then. But this is my signature card and lighthouse pin.

sigcard.jpg

I leave these in pretty much every cache I go to that can take one (It'd be interesting to know how many people have these in their collection..hmmmm). If I take something out of the cache, though, I'll leave something else along with the card. In other words, to me the card isn't really a trade item.

But that's just me.

Bret

I found/took one of those lighthouse pins in a cache that I found...I collect lapel pins so when I saw that signiture card with the pin on it, I was amazed

My signiture item is currently a Guide magazine that I sign my name on, but here not to long I will be getting some lapel pins with Super_Nate on them.

9547f02b-e8bd-41f0-973a-c5fd4517eec1.jpg

Our daughter (the Homing Pigeon) came up with the idea of the personalized keyrings over the summer. We have been using the middle rubber ducky keyring. But when she started caching under her own name it was hard finding something with a pigeon or a target on it. So she brain stormed these neat keyrings to leave.

Edited by Lehigh Mafia
I've always liked the idea of folding cubes so though they would make a good sig item. Main problem is that it doesn't fit into a lot of caches these days.

cube2.jpg

rolling_cube1.gif

Freakin' Sweeeet.

I bought a bunch of little wooden cubes from Hobby Lobby a few years ago to try to make one of those to put in a cache. I finally figured out how to position all the cubes but never knew what to cover them with.

Very Nice!

Bret

I just got done putting the finishing touches on my girlfriends signature item.  Behold the Amputated Spoon Keychains.

Ohmigosh, Sporky! Those amputated spoons are dead cool. Too cool for sig items.

Please tell me you've released a few as TB's...?

We haven't released any as travel bugs as of yet. I'd worry about them getting snagged up though. I think we'd rather people just find them and use them. Glad you like them though.

We did see another variation on the spoon keychains this weekend at an art show. Instead of drilling a hole the metal was bent over on itself to secure the key ring. This gets around the limitation of how thick a handle needs to be and off center drilling. Anyway I have all of the other ends of the spoons and forks so I'll be playing with that technique.

PS Don't call me Sporky

Edited by sporkboy
Igi, that could be the coolest sig item I've ever seen.

Indeedy they ARE purely wondrous BP - I just got a most luscious trio of them all the way from Slovakia! Traded them for a gaggle of my bitty globalgirl passport and globes:

8b1f751c-0957-4170-91b5-bb6b64773a89.jpg

They're trackable HERE

Thanks for the trade Igi, I'm still catching up from my geoadventures in the Great Alaska Cache and Dash, and will be dropping the globes on a snail here shortly.

Acetate that you can draw or print on. You can then cut out the shape and bake it to a hard plastic dink. It shrinks down to about 25% of it's original size. I don't let mine flatten out on purpose with the current version because I take advantage of the concave side to make it look like the picture is looking at you from almost any angle.

Edited by TotemLake

I rarely trade for anything these days so this is my contribution at putting something in. I was flattered to find out when I started dropping mine in that they became a sought after item. Each cache gets a sticky label in the log, a business card and a keytag. I drop in geocoins in caches that require an effort to get to or caches that take me to a very nice destination. All of this usually weighs less than a mctoy and takes up less room.

I've also used wooden dollars and nickels. I'm now using up my last 100 nickels and supplementing them with personalized carabiners. After putting out over 800 of the wooden coins, I kind of figure that anyone who wanted one has had a chance to find it. I've actually found them in caches I haven't logged.

c800872b-7e22-4187-852a-3b7ec7546063.jpg

Just finished and started placing my signature item. Geocaching trading cards:

SmallFirstSetPicture.jpg

They are sets of trading cards (9 in each set) with a different Geocaching "Tool of the Trade" on each card and a profile of that item on the back. I have made a contest relating to the cards. See my profile for the contest details.

Edited by Teamhawaii1981