Inaccurate Coordinates In Pocket Queries

Ok. Most of us use another app to actually view the data in thew pocket query. One like GSAK mentioned above, but there are many desktop and handheld PC options available.

If you look at the raw format in the Pocket query, sounds like this is what your doing, it is in a different format but you can easily convert it by hand.

-45.72522 = 45 & (.72522 * 60) or S 45 43.5132

and

169.48018 = 169 & (.48018 * 60) or E 169 28.8108

Retain the data left of the decimal. Multiply everything right of the decimal by 60.

Of course you may want to round up one decimal place to match the cache coords.

I'm still puzzled, probably dim!

On the cache page of "Somebody's Darling" GCQ17T the coordinates are given as S45 43.513 E169 28.811. On my pocket query they are listed as -45.72522 169.48018. These obviously need converting. Right?

The -45 I understand

In the first set you have Decimal degrees and the second Decimal minutes. You are correct that there needs to be a conversion. I use one called GeoCalc.

Geocalc

Cheers

Muddler

Edited by Muddler
Ok. Most of us use another app to actually view the data in thew pocket query. One like GSAK mentioned above, but there are many desktop and handheld PC options available.

If you look at the raw format in the Pocket query, sounds like this is what your doing, it is in a different format but you can easily convert it by hand.

-45.72522 = 45 & (.72522 * 60) or S 45 43.5132

and

169.48018 = 169 & (.48018 * 60) or E 169 28.8108

Retain the data left of the decimal. Multiply everything right of the decimal by 60.

Of course you may want to round up one decimal place to match the cache coords.

I'm still puzzled, probably dim!

On the cache page of "Somebody's Darling" GCQ17T the coordinates are given as S45 43.513 E169 28.811. On my pocket query they are listed as -45.72522 169.48018. These obviously need converting. Right?

The -45 I understand

In the first set you have Decimal degrees and the second Decimal minutes. You are correct that there needs to be a conversion. I use one called GeoCalc.

Thanks for the help.

The multiply x 60 seems a very simple solution.

I have, as a result of looking into it a bit deeper, tried the JeepCom programme. It works too.

I have downloaded GeoCalc and will try that as well.

Thanks "Muddler" and "Jhonnie Stalkers"

:D