New Rinos From Garmin

"Rechargeable internal lithium-ion battery for up to 16 hours of outdoor use"

Ack! I guess they didn't learn from Magellan's faux pas with the li-ion batteries in the eXpl 4/5/600. It seems to me that this device is even more likely to be used away from power for days at a time.

--Marky

If I did not already have a 60cs, I would put my name down for one of these.

They want you to buy all over again. <_<

Garmin knew they were going to add this capability to the 60C/CS from the get go. They deliberately waited for folks to rush out and buy the 60C/CS first and then when they added the radios, a bunch of you would rush out and buy them also. That way they get to sell you two GPSrs instead of one.

I'm looking at that AA battery pack, and it appears to my eye to be an external pack. Other opinions?

I'd be surprised if you could get 4 AA's in the same space as a Li-Ion, unless the latter were monstrous large. The rumored Explorist replacement pack uses 3 AAA's.

It looks like pictures aren't up yet for the Li-Ion replacement to be able to compare.

Another new Garmin without a memory card slot <_<

And still a paltry 56 MB. It's the year 2005, mapping software is in the 1-2 GB range, and GPSr manufacturers are still only offering a lousy 24-56-115 MB of flash memory. What's with that? Try marketing a flash drive MP3 player with 56 MB of memory and see how fast they move. Sheeeesh .....

Somebody really needs to introduce these guys to the world of modern consumer electronics. USB 2 has been out for years and they only recently discovered it's existence. Flash memory is dirt cheap and they continue to be stingy with it. And what about easily added memory expansion slots? Hey guys, they exist.

Oh well ..... until someone gets it right, I'll continue to use my trusty b&w Legend. No point throwing good money after a device with limited capability and missing features.

Ack! I guess they didn't learn from Magellan's faux pas with the li-ion batteries in the eXpl 4/5/600. It seems to me that this device is even more likely to be used away from power for days at a time.

--Marky

That 16 hours if you are not transmitting. When some one starts using the GMRS radio at 5 watts that is going to run the battery down in just a few hours.

With any luck Garmin is uning a Li Ion battery that is already used in some other device.

Ack!  I guess they didn't learn from Magellan's faux pas with the li-ion batteries in the eXpl 4/5/600.  It seems to me that this device is even more likely to be used away from power for days at a time.

--Marky

That 16 hours if you are not transmitting. When some one starts using the GMRS radio at 5 watts that is going to run the battery down in just a few hours.

With any luck Garmin is uning a Li Ion battery that is already used in some other device.

Usually, when the wording is "internal lithium-ion", it implies that it isn't field replaceable. It will be interesting to see this in person when it comes out. I don't think this is the unit that will lure me to the dark side though... :lol:

--Marky

I have been *waiting* for this model since I got my 60CS and Rino 130. (And the Rino 110 I also own.)

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to be waiting a while longer.

- I don't want Li-ion, nor do I want external AA battery pack.

- I want 1000 waypoints.

- I already have 56MB RAM. Put in a 1GB chip - same footprint. (Better yet, cardslot)

- Boost FRS wattage to a full watt instead of half-watt. (I don't have a GMRS license)

So close, yet so far...

<strike>I'm going to send this exact list to Garmin, too.</strike> I've sent this on to Garmin as well.

Edited by Cymbaline