Garmin Legend

Navarone

First you can manually add a waypoint or do it by down loading them but for now to do it manually you should have a mark or MOB (man over board button) when you press this button your waypoint is saved as your location at the time you pressed it then you can edit the Lat & Lon and add the icon to be included with that group.

Does this help?

Edited by Skyman
Ah found it. Once I create it under waypoint I just need to change the icon to the one I use for geocaching. That adds it to the list.

Yep you got it. On the Legend when you hit the find button you can search by name or nearist waypoints from you current location but you can't search by just geocaches. Well I suppose you can if only geocaches are loaded in your gps. :P

On the Legend when you hit the find button you can search by name or nearist waypoints from you current location but you can't search by just geocaches.

Sounds like he might have a Legend C. You can do it with that.

Use GSAK or EasyGPS to change all your cache waypoint icons to 'geocache'. Or if you run pocket queries, select GPX files because they come aready set to geocache.

well now I am lost,, I have the garmin etrex legend,, and i have no idea what your talking about,,

ok,, i am going to take this one step further,,

I have several caches I want to visit over the next few days (starting friday) and found them on the geocaching site, so how do I keep them or record the data? is that what Navarone was referring to? so if I see 5 caches I want to go to,, I can title them cache #1, #2, #3 and so on,, I can load them into the legend, and have them there,, so when I find one,, I can click on 'waypoint' and have #2 ready to go to? does that sum it up?

Sue :lol:

well now I am lost,, I have the garmin etrex legend,, and i have no idea what your talking about,,

ok,, i am going to take this one step further,,

I have several caches I want to visit over the next few days (starting friday) and found them on the geocaching site, so how do I keep them or record the data? is that what Navarone was referring to? so if I see 5 caches I want to go to,, I can title them cache #1, #2, #3 and so on,, I can load them into the legend, and have them there,, so when I find one,, I can click on 'waypoint' and have #2 ready to go to? does that sum it up?

Sue :lol:

Sue,

Yes but with the Legend C under the 'Find' menu next to 'Waypoints' there is a 'Geocache'. Once you put them in and save them you can change little flag picture to a treasure chest(or whatever icon you made it. treasure is the default) Once you do instead of keeping them under the 'Waypoints' menu it keeps them under the 'Geocache' menu. Make sense?

I guess I don't have the "C" model then,, cuz under my "Find" menu,, there is no 'geocache' menu,, :lol:

so back to my question then,, how do I record data for a few caches then? any thoughts on this? sure would make my life easier knowing I could do it on my gps as opposed to having to write it down someplace,, :huh:

Sue ;)

I guess I don't have the "C" model then,, cuz under my "Find" menu,, there is no 'geocache' menu,, :lol:

so back to my question then,, how do I record data for a few caches then? any thoughts on this? sure would make my life easier knowing I could do it on my gps as opposed to having to write it down someplace,, ;)

Sue :huh:

You really can't with the regular Legend, other than changing the cache icon to found cache.

I guess I don't have the "C" model then,, cuz under my "Find" menu,, there is no 'geocache' menu,,    :D

so back to my question then,,  how do I record data for a few caches then?  any thoughts on this?    sure would make my life easier knowing I could do it on my gps as opposed to having to write it down someplace,,  :rolleyes:

Sue    :blink:

Before I discovered "paperless caching" using the Palm M500 I already had, I would download the .loc files using the serial cable that came with my eTrex Vista. I used EasyGPS for this.

I would print out the cache pages and make notes on those after I found the cache.

That lasted for about six caches.

After that I became a Premium Member. I create Pocket Queries for different areas around my caching area. These are emailed to me in .zip format. I use GSAK to get the waypoints into my GPSr and make notes on the Palm using Cachemate when I am at the cache location. :blink:

Unless you are caching "paperless," you will have to carry pen and paper to make notes about the caches.

Edited by idiosyncratic

I think most people are answering a question that wasn't asked. I believe the OP was just asking for how to enter waypoint information directly on the Legend. If I have that right, then the answer is to just hold down the selector button for a few seconds. That will bring up a screen that has, among other things, the coordinates for the current location. You can move down to the coordinate information and edit it to reflect the coordinates given on the cache page. If you want, you can optionally change other information, such as the waypoint name, the symbol, etc. Click on OK to record the cache. Repeat this for as many waypoints (caches, parking locations, etc.) as you want to enter. When you're done, you can use the search methods outlined above.

This is all documented in the manual.

Is this more to the point of the original question?