Web Cam Caches

There aren't many webcams in our area and I've thought of creating one so more people can log this type of cache. There is a furniture store in the area with a bunch of panable, zoomable cams that would be great for this kind of cache. My question is, would Groundspeak allow this kind of cache, or would it violate the bylaw against "commercial caches". I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with creating a cache of this type, or has dealt with GC.com on this topic. Just trying to test the waters before going to all the trouble to post it, only to have it shot down. :P

There aren't many webcams in our area and I've thought of creating one so more people can log this type of cache. There is a furniture store in the area with a bunch of panable, zoomable cams that would be great for this kind of cache. My question is, would Groundspeak allow this kind of cache, or would it violate the bylaw against "commercial caches". I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with creating a cache of this type, or has dealt with GC.com on this topic. Just trying to test the waters before going to all the trouble to post it, only to have it shot down. :P

Ask Groundspeak. Contact@geocaching.com

thats what the guidelines suggest you do.

If the business has live feed from their cameras online and accessable to geocachers (or anyone else for that matter), then it can be a webcam cache. It's not like your doing anything illegal. They provided the camera and have it available for pictures, so pictures are what us geocachers will take.

Here are the guidlines. Please notice that it says nothing about limitations to cameras.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I was going to just email Groundspeak and ask, but they say to first check the FAQ's and forums, so I thought I'd make this little post. I placed a cache once where I foolishly included a link to a business - a guy who makes custom pens. I didn't have any interest in the business, I just thought they were neat and it was related to the cache. Well, I got my hand slapped by the powers that be, so I didn't want to make that mistake again. Nothing against the powers that be, mind you, after all it's their site and their rules.

If the business has live feed from their cameras online and accessable to geocachers (or anyone else for that matter), then it can be a webcam cache. It's not like your doing anything illegal. They provided the camera and have it available for pictures, so pictures are what us geocachers will take.

Here are the guidlines. Please notice that it says nothing about limitations to cameras.

But they do talk about business's

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

Like I said, Ask Groundspeak.

Edited by LaPaglia

Do people have to go into the showroom? That might make the line more gray. If it's something that people can stand outside on the sidewalk and do... I can't see any harm in using the webcam at all if it's online, good quality, and visible.

Not sure if a cam right on a company's web site constitutes commercial caches. Like Lapaglia said, probably best to ask gc.com

I've seen plenty outside on the sidewalk of an ISP. I don't really see much difference to be honest... They sell internet access. These guys sell furniture. I wouldn't guide anyone into the showroom though.

I'll have to check and see if they have any outside or visible to the outside. They have a ton of cameras, basically so people can shop their showroom from the internet. The cameras are live and can be panned, zoomed in, etc. You can read the price tags on the furniture and almost read the credit card number of the guy paying at the front counter! Maybe a little too commercial????

Maybe... but they do sound like cool cams :rolleyes: I'd be more concerned about attracting non-shoppers with GPS units into a furniture store. Especially if you live in Houston :D Imagine on the 200th person they get fed up with these geocaching nuts and call the cops on someone for tresspassing. Sounds risky to me.

I can see why you're so tempted, but I'd probably reccommend prudence and find another spot...

edit: Typos. Man... I can't type today.

edit2: Err... by the Houston comment I mean to say there are a lot of cachers there. So you'd be likely to bring many a person through.

Edited by trippy1976
I'll have to check and see if they have any outside or visible to the outside. They have a ton of cameras, basically so people can shop their showroom from the internet. The cameras are live and can be panned, zoomed in, etc. You can read the price tags on the furniture and almost read the credit card number of the guy paying at the front counter! Maybe a little too commercial????

Odds are inside would be considered commercial. Outside would likely be ok.

That's been my experience watching other caches get approved. I'm not an approver, I just play one in the forums.