Gsak

So i've been using gsak for a long time now. I must say It isn't registered and i've been thinking about doing it for some time now. But, the problem is the program doesn't run great for me for some reason so i don't want to spend the money to pay for somthing that doesn't work. my problem is that after i waid the nag time it doesn't load and I keep getting errors all the time. this happens about 8/10 times. I'm using the second latest ver. of the the progam and even. the problem was going on before I had that ver so I upgraded to the second newest and I still get the problem.

So i guess my question is. will this go away if I pay for it or is there more worng here?

Has anyone else had this problem?

What exactly is the error you get loading GSAK?

What operating system are you running?

GSAK is quite resource hungry and Widnows 98/ME is not flash at handling resources.

The problem is that when you get low on resources, all sorts of weird things can happen on your system. Low resources should not be confused with low memory, unfotunately it is just a limitation of windows 98/ME and no "hardware" upgrade will fix it - Just a reboot, or upgrade the operating system to windows 2000 or XP if your hardware will support it.

You can monitor it by using the windows resource meter, making sure you never get in the yellow/amber zone.

This problem will often occur if you run GSAK in combination with other programs programs (especially some of the Microsoft stuff). So the key to GSAK stability on 98/me is to try and run it just by itself.

Edited by ClydeE
Clyde

what you said sounds like it could be my problem. I'm running ME and for the most part I have a few windows open when I try to run gsak. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks for the info.

Yea, and I am sorry to say that ME seems to be the worst operating system to run GSAK on.

In my opinion windows ME was actaully a backwards step for Microsoft and 98 is actaully more stable. (I also get less reports of problems on 98 than ME)

Windows 2000/XP is still by far the best operating systems for GSAK, but if your only choice is an operating system that pre dates these, then try to run as few other applications as possible. I run GSAK on one of my old test boxes (win 98 SE) for hours at a time with no problems - but it is the only application running (except perhaps IE)

Slightly O.T.

Fred Langa writes a very informative newsletter. He usually tries to remain somewhat neutral, which is why I was so surprised to read what he had to say about ME a few years ago:

For example: Windows Millennium Edition was and is perhaps the worst version of Windows in over a decade: It should have been at most a free update to Windows98SE, but instead, Microsoft gussied it up and shoved it out the door as if it were an entirely new version of Windows. The only reason I can see for doing this is that Microsoft needed to release something new to keep the cash flow going. Lacking a real product, they foisted a half-baked Windows ME on the world. (See http://content.techweb.com/winmag/windows/...ter/default.htm )

Ouch!! :D