I Have A Cache Idea.

Question for Ziggy Crew about the timer: say someone manages to solve it within the 5-minute limit, and then gets up and does a happy dance or something before writing the coords down. Does the 5-minute timer keep ticking after the puzzle is complete? (So does the solver need to not only solve it but also quickly copy it before the timer elapses?)

Ziggy, My kids have now tried it, my wife (who hates puzzles) has tried it.

You have my family hooked, and we will probably never cache in your neck of the woods.

If you would like to "license" your puzzle to other areas of the country, I would gladly sponsor a cache with different coordinates, similar puzzle and give you credit in the listing. <_<:cry:

I would love to see one of these in my area. :(

That is too fun.

On the fourth try, the timer stopped for me too. I am assuming that just naturally happens if someone tries it enough times? Which makes it good for everyone also.

Question for Ziggy Crew about the timer: say someone manages to solve it within the 5-minute limit, and then gets up and does a happy dance or something before writing the coords down. Does the 5-minute timer keep ticking after the puzzle is complete? (So does the solver need to not only solve it but also quickly copy it before the timer elapses?)

the timer is nothing more than a page refresh. The puzzle itself does not even know when it is done. The user will visually see that the puzzle is correct... and the page refresh keeps on going. Short answer: Yes

So how do you stop the clock? I wanna solve this stoopid thing! I just can't get it in 5 minutes. Phooey.  <_<

I don't know if this caused the clock to stop, but the clock did appear to stop after I did it: when I was about halfway through, I decided to hit the browser's Refresh button. I was hoping it would reset the clock. Instead, it re-shuffled all the pieces (icon_smile_blush.gif), so I didn't try doing that again. But after that, the puzzle stayed up for as long as I needed to finish it.

I played around with it some more, and it appears that hitting the Refresh button does shut off the clock.

I started it up, and eventually the 5-minute timer kicked in. I kept retrying the puzzle, and it timed out five more times (so the timer doesn't appear to automatically be disabled after four tries, as another poster had suggested). I then killed that window and started completely fresh, and in the first attempt I pressed the refresh button. I then had no time limit, and could finish at my own pace.

(btw, it took me 11 minutes to put it together the second time -- and this was with a copied image of the solution sitting in an image editor, right next to the puzzle browser window! Man, I am slow :cry: )

edited for typos

Edited by the hermit crabs
I have to agree with CompuCash--I am not sure five minutes is enough time.  It is a very neat idea though.  I would do it if it were in my area.

I disagree, its his puzzle its no different then going to find a 5* Difficulty cache that you have to decode or decrypt the cache page. He could simply make it a 5* Difficulty.

Keep up the good work!!

Of course, it is his cache and he can do it any way he pleases. But he asked for our opinions on it, which is what I gave. I didn't say he had to change it, and I did say it is a neat idea and I would try it regardless.

Liked it, haven't solved it yet but doing it within 5 minutes would probably kill me. Used the refresh trick to buy more time. Got signal and the jeep put together, as well as the borders, but the text is tough. Nice idea though. I too would have liked to see it firefox compatible, and the intro was really, super, extremely, kill-me-now annoying. Ok, maybe I'm exagerating, but the intro needs to be sped up, and the ready-set-go thing could be dropped completely. Love the concept; definitely a good one to work on on a lunch break. Actually, perhaps even something bigger with more pieces would be cool, something that could take a long time to finish, like a jigsaw puzzle.

Don't do the happy dance for to long or you will loose out

If you would like to "license" your puzzle to other areas of the country, I would gladly sponsor a cache with different coordinates, similar puzzle and give you credit in the listing.

I too like the puzzle. Solved it on the second try without stopping the clock or printing it out. Seems like a cool idea. I'd be delighted to see a puzzle like this in my area and would be happy to hide a nice cache to be the final. A twist might be a two stage multi where the first stage has the url for the second puzzle. Just place the first stage near a library.

Not being a coder I don't know what would be involved in setting one up to run on multi-platforms, but most people I know who use Firefox or other non-IE browsers still have IE on their systems. If not, that's what the public library is for. Just list on the cache page "Special Equipment" is needed to complete this cache.

Loch Cache

If anyone is interested (like OP) I spent about 30 minutes fixing this puzzle so it works in both IE and FireFox... so it can be done.  <_<  Would be happy to pass off the fixed version to OP if interested.

Cool!!! Could you email me the code so I can use it for firefox users?

email sent.

Thanks Mini Cacher!

So how do you stop the clock? I wanna solve this stoopid thing! I just can't get it in 5 minutes. Phooey.  <_<

I don't know if this caused the clock to stop, but the clock did appear to stop after I did it: when I was about halfway through, I decided to hit the browser's Refresh button. I was hoping it would reset the clock. Instead, it re-shuffled all the pieces (icon_smile_blush.gif), so I didn't try doing that again. But after that, the puzzle stayed up for as long as I needed to finish it.

:cry: Thats what I did!

IMO there are too many tiles in the matrix & there are some indescriminate tiles as well that would frustrate the HELL outta me & I have a 140 I.Q.!

142 and it did frustrate the hell out of me!!!

not sure what you mean, but there were several with the same color tone that made it very difficult to finish.

having the 5 minute reset really frustrated me making me start over from the beginning.

It really is a great puzzle and I enjoyed it.

I dropped one of the menus after a move - it seemed to stop the clock.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

We used different doctypes.

Mine looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

no white space in puzzle with this one. white space with yours.

Your first IE only puzzle had the white space in Firefox as well. I just didn't notice it before.

Edited by mini cacher
If you would like to "license" your puzzle to other areas of the country, I would gladly sponsor a cache with different coordinates, similar puzzle and give you credit in the listing.

I too like the puzzle. Solved it on the second try without stopping the clock or printing it out. Seems like a cool idea. I'd be delighted to see a puzzle like this in my area and would be happy to hide a nice cache to be the final. A twist might be a two stage multi where the first stage has the url for the second puzzle. Just place the first stage near a library.

Not being a coder I don't know what would be involved in setting one up to run on multi-platforms, but most people I know who use Firefox or other non-IE browsers still have IE on their systems. If not, that's what the public library is for. Just list on the cache page "Special Equipment" is needed to complete this cache.

Loch Cache

If any one wants to use this idea, its fine with me. I put a lot of time in this. the only thing that I ask is that you mention me in the listing that I am the creator of this type of cache. Thanks :lol:

I couldn't take the pressure, so I worked out a way to do the puzzle without worrying about the five minute limit.

:huh: I can see it now. You've captured the puzzle, printed it, cut it apart, and now you've got all the pieces spread out on a card table with a glass of iced tea! ;):lol:

I ALMOST did that last night when I first tried it, but I got bored.

Liked it, haven't solved it yet but doing it within 5 minutes would probably kill me. Used the refresh trick to buy more time. Got signal and the jeep put together, as well as the borders, but the text is tough. Nice idea though. I too would have liked to see it firefox compatible, and the intro was really, super, extremely, kill-me-now annoying. Ok, maybe I'm exagerating, but the intro needs to be sped up, and the ready-set-go thing could be dropped completely. Love the concept; definitely a good one to work on on a lunch break. Actually, perhaps even something bigger with more pieces would be cool, something that could take a long time to finish, like a jigsaw puzzle.

Ok! here goes. I am currently working on a larger and a bit harder puzzle with no time limit. When I finish it I will create a new thread so that everyone can try it again. Currently, with the help from mini cacher, the puzzle that is listed here now works in Netscape and Firefox, as well with IE. Some of you found a way to bypass the refresh option in IE. So in that case that is why I will make a larger and harder puzzle to be solved. I am aiming it to be a 5* difficulty to really make it a challange. Any one who wishes to create a cache like this can email me with there wishes, I only ask that you give me some time to create it for you. I will publish the puzzle on my site and you can put a link to the puzzle on your cache page. Thanks for all the great help to everyone who posted.

I have to say I like the other one better... I don't know how long this one took me (check the time difference between this post and the previous one). I have it to the point where I can see what the coords are, and I have the hint, but the puzzle is not put together correctly. I have a bunch of separately-put-together sections, and I still can't quite see how they're supposed to be laid out. If I were doing this for real, I would stop right now since I'd have enough information to find the cache, but I'd never actually see the completed picture.

(edit: I went back to it later and eventually did put all the pieces in the correct order. total time was about 40 minutes to get all the info needed, and another 20 minutes to make everything pretty. I imagine it would have take longer if I hadn't already done the smaller version before.)

Edited by the hermit crabs

I started at 12:10 and finished at 12:42 in IE. I know in an earlier post I said I wouldn't be able to do it at work, but it's Friday, it's slow and it's lunch time. I love these puzzles. Ziggy is an evil genius ;) (I mean that in a kind way, I don't want to break the rules with name calling)

I just hope the cache isn't hidden in a field of rocks. I can't wait to get home and have my husband try this in firefox.

Almost forgot: No problems with the puzzle at all.

Edited by Team Red Oak