Caches With Lots Of Coins!

Lemon Fresh Dog

Hello all -- I have created a cache which I will be placing. In this cache, I have about 15 geocoins (these are doubles that I acquired by trading -- so they are all different coins and from all over the place.

This cache will be placed in a rather remote location, be a members-only cache, and hopefully be pretty hard to both get to and find.

I'm also going to place a couple other travel bugs into the cache.

So... here's my questions for the public here:

1) Do you will this last or just be emptied by the first couple cachers?

2) Does anyone have experience with this type of cache?

I'm sure all will become clear as mud when I finally place the cache, but I wanted to throw this out there to see what the general consensus was. Depending on what I read here, I may make it SUPER hard to find and/or break the coins into multiple caches.

Thoughts?

(I'd invite folks to send me any sig items they wanted in the cache here, but I'm leaving to place it in three days. I'll be in the "cache" area on the 20th, so if you wanted, you could send any sig item you want into a super remote cache to me via a General Delivery Post Office for the 20th - e-mail me privately and I'll let you know the specific post office I'll be close to if this is something you have a burning desire to do. The cache will be on Northern Vancouver Island, Canada and is a place where I go each year and have family living -- so it isn't a vacation cache and should be approved (if not, I'll just get my sister who lives there to "place" it).

I'm going to place a note, plus I am making up a nice "Trade Fair" card that explains it. My hope is that folks travelling this far for a cache and serious enough to buy a membership will be more likely to play by the rules.

It is indeed in a remote area! I am *hoping* that it will be somewhere around N50 02.555 W126 38.185 give or take 100KM :mad:

You'll need to travel some logging roads, bring a boat and go for a nice ride.

For those wondering -- here are the coins that will be in the cache and a topo of the area -- yes, that does say "Deprise Covered Ice" and yes, that does say "Pacific Ocean" -- The cache will hopefully be at the far end of the large lake you see here. -- I've sent it in to see if they will allow me to place a cache at my home-away-from-home. No matter where I place it though, it should be a pretty off-the-beaten-track area.

topo.jpg

Coins (larger image -- so I linked it)

Premimum members don't seem to trade any better than everone else.

I'm working on a cache event that is pretty much the opposite of what you are doing. I've got 12 coins and would like to coordinate 100 caches and they will each get a ticket. 12 Tickets are winners and 88 are losers. The caches will be spread all over several counties in my area. Nobody can visit them all and hopefully it spreads the coins around a bit.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I would not place all 15 coins in one cache. Too much temptation and risk that they will all be taken by one person. I have placed coins in my own caches in the past, and have 2 currently in 2 of my Multi-caches. The thing I learned is to have a note that says to place in trade, an item worth $4 to $5. I like the idea of a ticket. That way, you know who is getting the coin. Maybe ask them to place their trade item, and then you can mail them a coin.

(I am talking about coins placed as trade items, not travelers.)

Okay -- I have done it! I broke down and placed THREE caches:

Woss Happening

Woss This?

Woss New

They are in a place called Woss, BC in the northern part of Vancouver Island. I did have one person send me some signature items for the cache, but they didn't arrive in time -- so I'll have the person assisting me in maintaining the cache place them into one of these when they arrive in Woss.

Each cache has between 3-6 coins on placement and they are in "somewhat" accessable areas (I am going to launch a boat for some super-extreme locations -- but a trail is being constructed and I need to see where it sits prior)

Anyhow -- go get those coins! At least one of the caches should be not hard to find and get to. However, I am pleased to see that each cache has stood unfound for at least a week!

I've decided I'm not putting any more real geocoins in caches. They inevitably get traded for things like single jack rocks and cheap plastic toys. I guess that wouldn't be so bad but then they don't generally get circulated much after that either and nobody else gets a chance to find them or log the trackable coins.

I activated all the coins I intend to keep that are trackable on geocaching.com and then made laminated copies of them. I then put the copies in various caches so people would have simulated coins to find and log. It may not be quite as exciting as finding the real coins but at least they're all still out there to be found. How else would a cacher ever find a German or Colorado or Michigan coin in an actual cache? Copying numbers at event caches isn't much of a challenge.

If I had a personal coin, I might throw one in a cache occasionally, but I think putting a bunch of coins in a cache will only give the first (or maybe second) cacher an instant geocoin collection.

Hello all -- I have created a cache which I will be placing.  In this cache, I have about 15 geocoins (these are doubles that I acquired by trading -- so they are all different coins and from all over the place.

This cache will be placed in a rather remote location, be a members-only cache, and hopefully be pretty hard to both get to and find.

I'm also going to place a couple other travel bugs into the cache.

So... here's my questions for the public here:

1) Do you will this last or just be emptied by the first couple cachers?

2) Does anyone have experience with this type of cache?

I'm sure all will become clear as mud when I finally place the cache, but I wanted to throw this out there to see what the general consensus was.  Depending on what I read here, I may make it SUPER hard to find and/or break the coins into multiple caches.

Thoughts?

(I'd invite folks to send me any sig items they wanted in the cache here, but I'm leaving to place it in three days.  I'll be in the "cache" area on the 20th, so if you wanted, you could send any sig item you want into a super remote cache to me via a General Delivery Post Office for the 20th - e-mail me privately and I'll let you know the specific post office I'll be close to if this is something you have a burning desire to do.  The cache will be on Northern Vancouver Island, Canada and is a place where I go each year and have family living -- so it isn't a vacation cache and should be approved (if not, I'll just get my sister who lives there to "place" it).

I have my serious doubts if this would last as long as 3 cachers.

Of course, I tend to have that sort of outlook on things.

As hot an item as coins have become, any coin that gets put there will vanish like a snowball in H$*^. It sounds rude, and cynical, but it's the plain truth. Cachers are, with 1 exception, the nicest people I know. But let's face it, there is always one in any group that will take any opportunity to get ahead.

In this case, it won't take long for some cacher or other to get to your cache, grab whatever coins are left, regardless of any rules you set up. And when confronted, that cacher will say, with no guilt at all, "Coins? There was only one when I got there."

Your cache is a great idea, but I really believe you're gonna be zapped. I also really hope I'm wrong.

Either way, good luck with it.

[edit--where's that spell cheker??]

Edited by Shop99er

Any TB's I own I'd like to see them travel - not be holded up in a cache. IMOHO I think a cacher who moves TB's SHOULD GRAB all that they can move on quickly unless the TB's owner has a reason not to move it along. Any type of "hotel" for TBs puts the cacher owner in charge of the TB's goals and by design limits the TB's movements.

That being said, if the cache owner is also the TB's owner then of course he can set the rules. But I don't really see such a setup lasting for very long even if it is a neat idea. It's just the nature of many cachers NOT to read the fine print.

If I had that many personal coins I think I'd set up a cache nearby and leave ONE coin. When that coin is grabbed, I'd drop off a new coin, etc. until I have no more to hand out. The advantages: All coins will start out from the same location making it interesting to see how they fan out over the world. The coins are more likely to fall into the hands of many different cachers (spread the wealth) who would send them out on different courses. If the cache is raided, you won't lose the whole lot of coins.

None of the coins I left are intended to be TB's. The only TB's in the cache are either my own, or one that specifically wants to be in extreme caches and which the owner stated you could hold onto it as long as you want! I had it for almost a year! -- but I did send notes to the owner every so often and they always replied that they just waned it in extreme caches.

So far, it's been 2 weeks and none of the caches have been found! Hopefully folks will trade fair, but I now see that one of the coins I left in the cache is selling on eBay for $30 or so -- yipes! Oh well, it will maybe be my last experiment using coins. I'm starting to think that coins and caches don't really mix if the coin's goal is to travel -- FTF, nice trade-- sure. Travellers? --- not really.