External Antenna For Automobile

Thrak

I see external anntennae for my GPSr but there are two different connectors. One is a 180 degree connector (sticks straight out the back) and the other is a 90 degree connector (connects at a right angle).

Is there a problem using one or the other with a car mount? I am getting the RAM mount that suctions onto the windshield. I don't want to blow $40 or so on an external antenna only to find out the connector interferes with the GPSr holder.

http://jdhines.zoovy.com/product/0056GPGL

http://jdhines.zoovy.com/product/0183GPGL

The external antenna from Garmin seems to cost almost $100!!! These are much cheaper. Wonder if they are the same.

Both of my externals (Gilsson) have the 90° connector and I use a RAM mount for my 76C with no problem. In fact I've never had occasion to wish that I had ordered the straight connector.

Have a look at the Gilsson units that have performed extremely well for me over a 3 year period. Numerous others have mentioned the same results in various forum posts. They did take a healthy jump in selling price a year or so back but are still less than half of Garmin's price.

See them at GpsGeek website.

Cheers, Olar

They did take a healthy jump in selling price a year or so back but are still less than half of Garmin's price.

They're still selling the Gilsson antennas for the same $19 price from their eBay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/GPSgeek

The website prices have been changed since they started offering dealerships so they wouldn't compete directly.

I agree that in most cases the 90 degree connector would work best and that's what I use on my eMap.

I'm in the 180 degree (straight) connector crowd. As someone already mentioned, I went with it because it makes removing it from my GPSr easier so that I can stash/hide the unit out of sight. Also, it goes with me on trips and I usually don't take the antenna. Same thing.

Unfortunately, I paid the higher price for mine - didn't realize the store was still in existance. Grr. Welp, I need a shorter-cable one anyways. :P

I have the 90 degree connector. I took one of the twisty ties that bundle the cable and attached it around the cable as close to the connector angle as possible. It makes a nice grabber for assistance during disconnecting. It is more of a pain than the 180 that the wife has on her unit .... but it is do-able! :P ImpalaBob