Temporary Disabling A Cache

I've placed two caches along public trails (in woods by 20+feet off trail) in my area (suburban) that are suitable for all ages and most people (not handicap accessible). We get quite a bit of snow in the winter and I guess that after the first snowfall, it will be quite obvious to anyone walking the trail that something interesting lies just off the trail due to the tracks (optimistic that someone will still be searching for these). If I disable for the winter, will my spot still be open to me come spring to start up the cache again, or does the spot become available to someone else?

It only becomes availiable to someone else if it is archived. Temporarily archiving it will make it so that the cache is still visible when you do a search. The footprints through the snow, or "geotrails," are similar here when there is a cache in really dried-out, dead weeds. It's up to you if you want to temporarily archive it, but you don't have to. Not too many people follow the slightly-beaten path off the main trail, but if someone does, they're likely to find the cache.

Up to you...

It only becomes availiable to someone else if it is archived. Temporarily archiving it will make it so that the cache is still visible when you do a search. The footprints through the snow, or "geotrails," are similar here when there is a cache in really dried-out, dead weeds. It's up to you if you want to temporarily archive it, but you don't have to. Not too many people follow the slightly-beaten path off the main trail, but if someone does, they're likely to find the cache.

Up to you...

Correct!!

I would leave it and see what happens myself, if they come up missing a couple times then disable em. Usually cachers are pretty good about making thousands of tracks in the general area of the cache as to throw off a muggle.

Of course tracks in the snow are obvious, but almost every cache has a recognizable trail to it after a few months unless it is on pavement or in a very rocky area. People in tune with the outdoors will use that data while others may blunder right over it. I would leave it for the winter and then perhaps adjust the location and coordinates a couple hundred feet away when a track begins to form.