Has Anyone Done

QUOTE (geo_boy_2001 @ Aug 9 2005, 01:49 PM)

some of you will remember me saying that I am puting up a 51 stage and i made it its a story kind of like a RPG game with diffent was that you ca go and wepons poshens traps and friendsips has this been done and if so who

Some of you will remember me saying that I am putting up a 51-stage cache. I made it, and it's a story, kind of like an RPG with different ways that you can go, and weapons, potions, traps, and friendships. Has this been done, and if so, who has done it?

Is THAT what you were trying to say?

Edited by geo_boy_2001

Oooohkayyy. At the risk of sounding like a critical jerk, if we can't understand what the heck you are trying to say in your posts, how can we follow a 51-stage cache? I can just see the cache page now. Seriously, you may as well be writing in martian, because I have NO idea what you are on about.

What are you talking about? Can you say it in plain, clear English? Get out the spellchecker and the dictionary if you have to. You might get an actual, cogent, helpful response then.

Yeah, I know. I sound harsh. I don't mean to be, but Jesus on a Raft!

Oooohkayyy. At the risk of sounding like a critical jerk, if we can't understand what the heck you are trying to say in your posts, how can we follow a 51-stage cache? I can just see the cache page now. Seriously, you may as well be writing in martian, because I have NO idea what you are on about.

What are you talking about? Can you say it in plain, clear English? Get out the spellchecker and the dictionary if you have to. You might get an actual, cogent, helpful response then.

:mad::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah. Precisely.

some of you will remember me saying that I am puting up a 51 stage and i made it its a story kind of like a RPG game with diffent was that you ca go and wepons poshens traps and friendsips has this been done and if so who

Some of you will remember me saying that I am putting up a 51-stage cache. I made it, and it's a story, kind of like an RPG with different ways that you can go, and weapons, potions, traps, and friendships. Has this been done, and if so, who has done it?

Is THAT what you were trying to say? :mad:

OK, I ran this through my illiteracy translator and it came up with the following:

Some of you may remember my saying that I am putting out a 51 stage multi-cache. It's a story - kind of like a roleplaying game with different ways that you can go - and weapons, potions, traps and friendships you can make. Has this been done before? And if so, by whom?

Is Jesus on a Raft related to Jesus On Wheels?

You might get an actual, cogent, helpful response then.

I thought that my prior post was actual, cogent and helpful.

I accept your apology. :mad:

Ummm, this comment is off-topic to role playing games because this would be a hydrocache, terrain 5, special equipment required (raft). Unless you're Jesus, I suppose. Water is terrain 1 for him.

Unless you mean that we should dress up like Jesus when finding an RPG hydrocache? 'Cause that would be a possible 5/5.

Oh boy, here is a tough one......

All joking aside lets keep it as close to on topic as possible. I already closed his last thread because of everyone making fun and carrying on and I will do the same to this one shortly if things don't 'straighten' up which is unfair to the OP.

Thanks.

Let me just state the obvious. We love having new geocachers, and we love having new caches. Some of us would look at this type of cache and just say, "no." That's OK, but you should realize that at the outset. Specialty caches don't attract everybody. Try a couple of regular caches first, maybe..... because it's real fun to watch people log them.

The Fellowship of the Ring on Presque Isle in Lake Erie is another useful example that's somewhat responsive to the OP. You need to rely on extensive knowledge of the Tolkien books, and if you answer a multiple choice question incorrectly, you are taken to a container with a redirector that is a less than optimal solution. All paths ultimately wind up at the final cache, however. Thus, although not strictly a "role playing" cache, this excellent multicache provides different experiences for different players, depending on their skill and knowledge. And, I suppose, if you were a huge fan of the books you could dress up like a hobbit to do the cache.

Perhaps you recall your other thread where a number of us (myself included) suggested you not attempt a 51 stage multi as your first hide? Especially since you've found 4 multi caches in your 2 months as a geocacher?

Well, that suggestion still holds. It's not because we're being mean. It's because we're being realistic. 98.9% of us wouldn't even attempt to hunt a 51 stage multi. The RPG factor doesn't change that or make it more interesting. If I wanted to play an RPG, I'd fire up Neverwinter Nights on my PC. I go caching to get outdoors and enjoy myself. I do not enjoy doing anything repetitively, especially 51 times over.

If you refuse to listen to reason (or at least to the teeming masses mocking you) that's your perogative. Just don't be overly dissapointed when your "masterpiece" gets largely ignored by the geocaching population.

so percentage wise, what maybe 2% of you actually posted a reply to the question asked? Sheeze!

Isnt that off topic, where most of the time a Mod would be all over you

(umc hinted at it, but .....)

No wonder new cachers are turned off by this place-

I can make it 51 diffent caches

Or you could make just a couple of nice, regular, uncreative caches first and see how you like being a cache owner. If you decide that owning caches sucks, two is a lot easier to archive than fifty-one.

And where are you going to put them? Reviewers are really picky about the 500 feet rule.

Here's an example of an RPG cache from the Columbus, Ohio area.

Have fun.

This doesn't like similar to geo_boy's concept. I think I like geo_boy's better, and would probably go try and find it, but I sure wouldn't want to maintain that one! Keeping a 51 stage multi-cache healthy is a full time job!

I looked at cache you linked to and didn't really understand why it's a puzzle. It sounds like a traditional geocache with an optional game you can play for no find credit. Am I missing something? Also, I followed the link to the storyboard puzzle. That one seems clearer as to what is required to claim a find (although the last finder didn't follow the directions).

--Marky

I can make it 51 diffent caches

Well, 51 different caches is quite an undertaking (and never say "undertaking" to an old person), but you could aim that way. I never thought, originally, that I'd do more than 4. I'm not sure why your thinking is so "huge," but I still recommend doing a couple of normal/regular caches and watching people log them for awhile. Think about next Spring for your big new unveiling of whatever you are planning. :mad:

wvcoalcat 

Posted: Aug 9 2005, 02:46 PM

(The Leprechauns @ Aug 9 2005, 03:39 PM)
(Happy Bubbles @ Aug 9 2005, 03:35 PM)

And where are you going to put them?  Reviewers are really picky about the 500 feet rule.

Ummm, that's 528 feet, bucko. Don't push it.

Wow... that was really picky. Maybe I should be a reviewer.

Just stay out of our trailer parks.

I think, in Neopia, 500 is OK.

Edited by Robespierre

I'd be intrigued by a 51-stage cache, intrigued enough to at least check it out, anyway. Especially if it wasn't just 51 film canisters scattered randomly in a park, but something with a theme like the type you're describing.

But I have to agree with Sue Gremlin and others: the difficulty in deciphering the cache pages would be enough to turn me off from it completely. It would be a shame if you had a good cache that took lots of effort to set up, but that people passed by simply because they could not read the instructions. I'm not trying to bash you here, but if you do list this cache, would you consider having someone proofread it, and edit it for punctuation and spelling before you submit it?

Happy Bubbles and DocDiTTo gave you good advise, Geo_Boy_2001

I understand what you want to do, and if it was done properly, it could be cool. (And yes, it would probably be much better to do it as 51 separate caches so people could collect smileys as they worked on the series--I bet you would get fewer complaints that way).

but....

The wise young grasshopper would start with one or two caches right now. Have them placed somewhere nearby so it would be simple and easy to for you to maintain them. They don't have to rock the world---just make fun caches in good places. Get them out NOW and start buidling your reputation as a good cache hider.

The advantages to you---You will have a good reputation, practice at maintaining caches, and a chance to start to learn about how to fix the things that can go wrong (and things do go wrong).

While you monitor those caches you can:

start getting the other caches prepared

set up webpages for them

scout out your exact locations

figure out the special containers you will need and get them ready.

You will also have a chance to try more caches that other people are putting out, and maybe be able to use some of their ideas in your series.

There is no hurry to get it out. People really will be much more willing to start your series if they know that you have a reputation for hiding good caches and taking good care of them.

and cachers seem to like lots of logs and ftfs im sure it will be a rush at first and then take it down after 12 weeks or so

Perhaps you aren't aware that caches are supposed to be permanent, not temporary. 12 weeks isn't much of a long life for a cache, and chances are it wouldn't get approved if that's all the longer you planned to keep it active. Not sure there's a specific guideline on cache permanence, but if I were an approver and you threw 51 caches at me to review, you darn well better have that one in place a V E R Y long time.

and cachers seem to like lots of logs and ftfs im sure it will be a rush at first and then take it down after 12 weeks or so

Perhaps you aren't aware that caches are supposed to be permanent, not temporary. 12 weeks isn't much of a long life for a cache, and chances are it wouldn't get approved if that's all the longer you planned to keep it active. Not sure there's a specific guideline on cache permanence, but if I were an approver and you threw 51 caches at me to review, you darn well better have that one in place a V E R Y long time.

From the guidelines:

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be listed. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

Edited by umc
12 weeks isn't much of a long life for a cache,

Actually, 12 weeks is a pretty good run for some caches.

Some get muggled in as little as a week.

We had one here that was muggled before it was ever found:

Dollar Store Amaze Me II

But it wasn't *planned* that way. I think the approvers would take issue with a cache knowing its lifetime was only supposed to be 3 months. You can't prevent muggling, but you can at least plan for permanence.

the way you all are going on about this I would be some kind of super hero if I pulled this off and if not would be hunted down. I would not put this much work in to something with out picking some very good sopts and clever ways to make sure that all 51 stay up for as long as I could

would any one like to fix this one for me :mad:

Edited by geo_boy_2001
the way you all are going on about this I would be some kind of super hero if I pulled this off and if not would be hunted down. I would not put this much work in to something with out picking some very good sopts and clever ways to make sure that all 51 stay up for as long as I could

would any one like to fix this for me :mad:

You seem to be doing much better on your own.

would any one like to fix this for me :lol:

You seem to be doing much better on your own.

Some punctuation would still be nice, though. :mad:

Is it possible that some of the caches in this series would be pretty lenient in where they are located? Is it possible that some of them could start out as a stand alone cache and then LATER be linked into a series? If so you can start out with a half dozen caches just anywhere and keep in mind how they can fit into the "grand scheme" later on. That way you get a good taste of the cache hider side before the full version of your big plans are unveiled.

The one drawback is that some of the early finders may need to return to those first caches for clues once they get into the big plan you have - but that really isn't THAT bad a thing, is it?

I took on a cache series project earlier this summer - 15 stages all of them tied together. At least 4 of the caches were originally planned to be stand alone caches and they had different names and stories behind them. However, I found a way I could incorporate these caches into the bigger plan and rolled them out over a 3 week period. All but the last one could easily stand on its own and be used only for the purpose of taking you to an area that I think is special. Even the final cache is in a great spot, but it's ties to the other caches becomes more apparent the more you get into the series. Granted, the ideas behind my series is much different than your plans, and it isn't on as grand a scale, but I found a way where people can find their own level of satisfaction - they can either dabble and do a few caches here and there just to see the places they take them or they can go for the whole series and try and solve the puzzle that unlocks the cache with the Good Stuff stashed away :mad: There isn't a commitment or a time frame and folks can use the series to however they feel is best for themselves.