New Garmin Ique M3

Trafcon

Does anyone know if the new Garmin IQue M3 is geocaching friendly or not? It is exactly like the IQue M5 except a scaled down processor and on board memory. I just wanted to know if it has the same functionality as the Garmin 60C (I just gave mine to my son).

Any IQue M5 users out there that can answer this? IE: does it allow nearest geocache searches etc.??

My concern about the IQue is its fragility.

I would much rather have a dedicated, durable GPSr and an inexpensive Palm. I've dropped my Palm M500, and my GPSr, and watched my friend's GPS Map60CS fall to rocks about 10 feet below us.

All have survived, but the Palm M500 wouldn't have if it wasn't in a hard case. If it hadn't, I would only be out $39.00.

The M3 is specifically for vehicle navigation and will not have some of the features that a handheld GPS receiver will have.

Like the M5, the M3 specification does not specify if a NMEA output is supported. However, the M5 does output NMEA data although again, Garmin does not specify that it does. If the M3 does output NMEA, then you will be able to use third party application.

Take a look at this thread it has links and info on Pocket PC apps and hard cases (link). It should answer some questions.

On top of being quite fragile, and pricey, most of the GPS/PDA's on the market are nitorious for inhaling their batteries dry quite quickly

I'd love to see a "rugged GPS/PDA" be created that isn't too expensive.. who do you think (brand) will come out with one first? :unsure:

On top of being quite fragile, and pricey, most of the GPS/PDA's on the market are nitorious for inhaling their batteries dry quite quickly

I'd love to see a "rugged GPS/PDA" be created that isn't too expensive.. who do you think (brand) will come out with one first? :D

I Tremble (give or take the spelling). They already have expensive ones. Sooner or later they will make a cheaper one.