Multi/puzzle Cache Usage

AtoZ

Is there any thing in GC.COM GUIDELINES that prohibits you from having a cache listing that says you can not says you can ont use the final on one cache to send you to another cache. If I have cache XXXXX and in it it says to find cache YYYYY go to corrdinates NAAAAAAAAAA WBBBBBBBBB or something to that affect. Or a puzzle cache that says you have to find cache AAAAA BBBBB and CCCCC and in them is a clue to find cache NNNNN. I know there are caches that do it but can it be done NOW as presidence has NO responsibility.

Cheers

Multi-Caches

There are many variations to multi-stage caches. The most common is that in which the first cache or waypoint contains or provides coordinates to the next location. Another popular variant is a series of multiple waypoints, each of which provide partial coordinates for the final cache’s position. Please provide the coordinates of all waypoints in the “note to reviewer” section of the cache report form when submitting a multi-cache. The reviewer will delete the text prior to approval.

Edited by geo_boy_2001
If cache x has the coordinates for cache y and cache y is a whole separate listing then I see a problem.

Actually that's commonly used for bonus caches. You have to find the first cache to get the coordinates for the separate bonus cache.

I don't think it is possible to get a cache listed where the only possible way to get coordinates is to visit some other cache.

Maybe if it was a puzzle cache or some such but I don't know of any "regular" type cache listing that simply says: "Visit cache GCXXXX to find the coordintes for this one."

GCJQG8

QUOTE (WildGooseChase @ Aug 8 2005, 07:55 AM)

QUOTE (StarBrand @ Aug 8 2005, 10:51 AM)

If cache x has the coordinates for cache y and cache y is a whole separate listing then I see a problem. 

Actually that's commonly used for bonus caches. You have to find the first cache to get the coordinates for the separate bonus cache. 

I don't think it is possible to get a cache listed where the only possible way to get coordinates is to visit some other cache.

Maybe if it was a puzzle cache or some such but I don't know of any "regular" type cache listing that simply says: "Visit cache GCXXXX to find the coordintes for this one."

Edited by geo_boy_2001

I saw one set up like that in Louisiana last year. The point is, the bonus cache is really a non-geocaching cache in that Groundspeak does not list it and has no accountability for it being withing the placement guidelines. The issue of if the cache is OK to exist or not is purely on the hider's shoulders. If the hider is careful and knows their stuff and follows a reasonable ethic in what places are acceptable for a cache to be located in, then its just a personal cache with an audience of potential finders being only people that find a different cache.

That being said, there certainly has to be some reason why the bonus caches exist. It could be lack of knowledge as to the existance of multi-caches, or how they work. It could be that the hider wanted to make a multi-cache but wanted more traffic to hit it so they opted for the traditional icon and allow the finders to decide on their own if they want to do an additional stage or not. It also could be that they were unable to get a certain cache approved for whatever reason and by making it a bonus cache they are circumventing Groundspeak's approval.

This latter case is what I would be most concerned about and that goes straight in line with what I referred to as the hider following a reasonable ethic in the bonus hide. If the purpose is to circumvent the non-approval of the cache then the bonus cache has entered the shady side of geocaching. The problem for finders is they don't know the real reason why the cache was made a "bonus" cache and lose the safety net of knowing the cache has been properly reviewed. They are very much a cache at your own risk situation and should be treated as such.

My family and friends that found the note to the bonus cache in Louisiana didn't even bother with it. We had 5 small children with us and going into an unrated and unsanctioned cache is simply a bad idea. However, it very well might have been perfectly OK - I just didn't have that information available to me.

You have to find The Happy Ending, Mysterious Field Cache to get the coordinates for Another Happy Ending.

You have to find SARA DOUBLE IT to get the coordinates for TWO BROTHERS.

In both cases, the second caches were listed less than a year ago (although they were before the most recent update of the guidelines). I would guess that it's still okay to do something similar now, although you might want to ask your reviewer.

Also in both cases, the second cache is listed as a multi. "TWO BROTHERS" is actually a four-part multi. "Another Happy Ending" is just one part; it's listed as a multi because you have to find the the other cache first.

As mother said when growing up you must first eat your meal before you get your Dessert

It is possible and feasible to use one cache to get to another and the other just needs some starting coordinates. And the problem would be that even though there is nothing there but starting coordinates some may see this as an infringement on the bunko 528 ft. rule.

As mother said when growing up you must first eat your meal before you get your Dessert

It is possible and feasible to use one cache to get to another and the other just needs some starting coordinates. And the problem would be that even though there is nothing there but starting coordinates some may see this as an infringement on the bunko 528 ft. rule.

Thats a multi and marked as such. My comment applies to regular caches.