Feature Request

WH

Would it be possible to have an email sent out to cache owners when someones edits a log on a cache of theirs?

I would second that motion. I always post as soon as I can when I find a cache, but the pics might come later down the line. I would also like to know when a log is edited with the pics, or whatever else might come along...

I make careless typos and go back and fix them as I am rereading what has been posted. Do you really want two e-mails from me? :laughing:

Yes. Not so much for the typo's but for the strange logs that I need to check up on. Like when they log a find but their cache log says they didn't find it. Often I check back up and find they have corrected the log but I never got a notice of the change.

It's not the minor typo change that is important, but the cache owner should know when the log type is edited.

I had a similar case where someone logged a find but didn't find the cache. I had to keep going back to the log to see if they had changed it yet.

On a different note, someone could log a DNF or a note and then go back later and change it to a find without the cache owner knowing.

Since cache owners do not receive notification of a log edit, I (or anyone else) could easily inflate their find count by changing old notes posted long ago to finds. These notes have, most likely drifted off the bottom of the cache page so nobody would be the wiser.

It's not the minor typo change that is important, but the cache owner should know when the log type is edited.

I had a similar case where someone logged a find but didn't find the cache. I had to keep going back to the log to see if they had changed it yet.

On a different note, someone could log a DNF or a note and then go back later and change it to a find without the cache owner knowing.

That seems like a *feature* not a bug. :rolleyes:

I make careless typos and go back and fix them as I am rereading what has been posted.  Do you really want two e-mails from me?  :rolleyes:

Yes. Not so much for the typo's but for the strange logs that I need to check up on. Like when they log a find but their cache log says they didn't find it. Often I check back up and find they have corrected the log but I never got a notice of the change.

So you notice it the next time you view your cache page. I think the suggestion would be a waste of resources that have historically been overtaxed.

Would it be possible to have an email sent out to cache owners when someones edits a log on a cache of theirs?

I would like to see this implemented as well, though I would have concerns that a user edit to include multiple image files would generate multiple e-mails notifying the owner of cache page edits. This would probably be a problem for the geocaching.com servers, and for the end user with dial-up or who are paying for data received.

Could it be implemented with a statute of limitations similiar to new forum replies?

"There may be more cache log edits, but only 1 email is sent per Geocaching.com login to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox."

Since cache owners do not receive notification of a log edit, I (or anyone else) could easily inflate their find count by changing old notes posted long ago to finds. These notes have, most likely drifted off the bottom of the cache page so nobody would be the wiser.

Hmmm, good idea.

OH! I mean, we gotta stop that!

This reminds me of when I started geocaching a year ago. When I logged my find for one of the first caches I found, I edited the thing like 3 times because as a newbie I didn't know how much info I should include in my log. Then I found out that the cache owner and those who watch the cache get e-mails of my log. I was like "Oh my God! These people just got 3 e-mails just because I wanted my log to be perfect." Glad to know that edits to log text are not e-mailed.

This would also be a great help to those of us with webcam caches. I've had a lot of people post the photo days after loging a find. I also go through the past finds and sometimes find that the person has removed the photo but not the found log.

To which I respond with the age-old question: so what?

Why do I care if someone wants to lie to themselves? ;)

It's a rhetorical question, no response required. Been there, done that on all the relevant threads about find counts. :huh:

It's a rhetorical question, no response required. Been there, done that on all the relevant threads about find counts. :huh:

This may come a suprise to some poeple. But there are actually cache owners that take care of their caches and the logs. Instead of just dumping them in the woods and forgetting about them. A feature like this will make it easier for them to follow what is happening with their caches.

This may come a suprise to some poeple. But there are actually cache owners that take care of their caches and the logs. Instead of just dumping them in the woods and forgetting about them. A feature like this will make it easier for them to follow what is happening with their caches.

I'm not disagreeing with the potential usefulness of e-mail notification on log edits, Glenn. I've had a few occasions where it would have been useful to me to know that someone had updated their log.

My question was why anybody should care if someone wants to lie to themself by changing a note or a DNF to a found.

Edited by WascoZooKeeper
I make careless typos and go back and fix them as I am rereading what has been posted.  Do you really want two e-mails from me?  ;)

So you notice it the next time you view your cache page. I think the suggestion would be a waste of resources that have historically been overtaxed.

Are you really going to notice someone changed their log when you have 50, 60, 100 log entries on a cache and the one that was changed was 5, 10, 20 or more logs in the past?

I watch my caches very closely. I read every log entry (and actually have saved every "OWNER" email), but I know I wouldn't notice a log entry that was changed unless the change for some reason stood out to me (a give-away hint, etc.) and then only if I went back an re-read all the logs.

I like the idea of log edits being emailed to the cache owner.