North Dakota Park Policies

Electric Mouse

In another thread I noted that North Dakota does not have a geocaching organization and expressed that it would be nice to see one form because that state is starting to have park issues/policies arise. I was then asked:

So what type of policies have you seen or are hearing about?

So as not to derail that thread, I am starting this one and answering the question. The North Dakota Park and Recreation Department requires registration of caches. They are quite caching friendly. Here is their website. There is also general information on my Reviewer web site.

I am told that the ND Fish and Game Department does not allow caches and removes them. I have not been formally informed of this and an email I sent inquiring about it to their department was not anwered. A representative of the Parks Department (who is also a cacher) expressed the hope that with some education, the Fish and Game people might change their stance. Apparently Fish and Game do own a cache that they placed themselves.

I also am told that the ND Historical Society is considering sponsoring their own caches and then not allowing others on their properties. I have not tried to contact them at this time. I feel it is better for locals to work on such things, although I will write if asked by a group. It might be worth it for some ND people to get together and consider approaching them and seeing if a middle ground could be reached where perhaps they will allow other caches with or without a permit. Trying to reach the Fish and Game people would be good too.

So there is my information. If cachers in ND decide to approach these agencies, please let me know if I can be of assistance. I can write to a contact person if you ask, and you are more than welcome to give them my email address if they wish to contact me with questions. My email is electricmouse "at" geocachingadmin.com (replace the "at" with the @ symbol, I typed it that way to avoid spam bots). Also please update me of any policies that you become aware of.

Thanks!

Edited by Electric Mouse
I did contact someone at the NDG&F and they have allowed a cache site on a wildlife managment area.  I don't remember the persons name but I could find it again I think.  EITS

If you could find it please email it to me. Since I am told that they are removing caches placed without permission I would like to ask them what exactly their policy is. Right now, since they have not told me of such a policy, I am listing ones that show up, but I would hate to annoy them and would like to figure out who cachers should contact for permission if it is required. They don't seem totally anti-caching, so I think it is a matter of figuring out what exactly their policy is and encouraging a caching friendly policy.

Edited by Electric Mouse

I believe this to be the person that I contacted about placing a cache site and he informed me that there was already one at this area.

Conservation Biologist: Bruce Kreft, Bismarck -- 701-328-6224

http://www.state.nd.us/gnf/deptchrt.html#conservcommo

For that site check out this cache site [Mort's Place by Norkota (GCHZZ3)North Dakota]

If I can assist you in any other way I am a local call and drive away from this office and person. I would be glad to help. Thanks for being involved and helping us Geocachers.

I received this today from the assistanst chief of the ND Wildlife Division:

Thanks for contacting us with your questions regarding geocaching on our wildlife management areas (WMAs).  Our WMAs regulations disallow individuals to abandon or leave personal property on our areas.  This would include caches of any sort, including geocaching.  I apologize if you received any mixed messages in the past from our department regarding this matter. 

Thank you.

This could be a good time for people in ND to consider talking to them about changing their policy if anyone feels inclined to do so.