Is It Okay To Require Email Request For Hint?

Thot

I'm not sure I'd require that a hint be requested by email (i.e. in the sense that the cache cannot be found without it), but you can offer one that way. If the cache can be found without the hint, no problem.

Also, if you expect that most people will need the hint and that it will be a popular cache, I'd want to be sure that I could be responsive when someone emails a request - i.e. how quickly do you respond to email, what happens when you're on vacation, etc. In other words, be sure it's something you're willing and able to take on!

No, there is no rule against it. I have seen cache listings that make no mention of the fact that the hint will only be provided via e-mail except that the info about using email for the hint is in the ENCRYPTED hint itself. A very cute and quaint practice in and of itself. :laughing: Amazing stuff. :unsure: What RK said. :blink:

Edited by Team Cotati

Ok, I am curious...WHY do you want to have people have to email you for the clue?

We ran into this once before. We were going a few hundred miles away and I was scouting out caches. Since I knew we would be unfamiliar with the area, I was reading clues. I found one cache that sounded interesting, and the clue was [unencrypted] "email me/call me if you need a clue".

I wrote the owner, and explained that we would be traveling through. He sent me the clues (there were five, each one more specific) encrypted and spaced apart so that I could decrypt them in the field as I needed them--but not unless I needed them.

He was doing it to make it more challenging, but understood that people traveling thorugh wouldn't be able to have the chance to try it first and then ask for clues.

I had 2 caches that I could not find after looking for them about 3 times. I emailed the owner and asked a couple of questions and they helped me. Sometimes the caches just don’t want you find them. But being a cacher I was determined to find it.

Nothing wrong if you are stuck in finding the cache. :laughing:

eMail me and I'll let you know if this is legal. LOL

I agree that it's more pains taking to eMail someone and then wait for them to read and reply, then you get to go back out to their cache for a second visit. Arrg. However, I've stood at caches before and sent out my plee and received the reply before I left. Isn't technology amazing?! :laughing:

BTW, I've noticed that cachers will often use other resources when given too much of a road block. Ever hear of using a Life Line? They aren't talking about the 50/50! :unsure: