Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Sorry, I don't agree. This is a GSAK problem (or at least a GPSBabel problem).

Then if that is your view could you please do as suggested and put your case in the GPSBabel lists.

I think I've stated my view adequately here. We clearly don't agree, and that's just fine.

Out of interest, I've just installed EasyGPS, and that's also quite happy sending hyphens to a Legend. I think it's clear that it's GSAK that's out of step here.

You don't seem to get it.

Whether I agree or not matters for nothing in the long run. It is not me that you have to convince to get this behaviour changed.

I think Jesters post sums it up nicely.

Is their a way to get Found Date for my finds automaticaly entered into GSAK when loading GPX files such as the new MY FINDS pq GPX file ?

"Found by me" date will only work if:

1. Your GSAK database is being updated with GPX files from gc.com (not loc files)

2. You tell GSAK correctly how to match your found logs.

To get item 2 correct make sure you have the "method for matching hidden

and found" caches filled out correctly (Tools=>Options=>General). For

more information see the help file or view this section online here

http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

I am using a Zire 72 with a GPS for Palm with Tom Tom software. When transfering an .ov2 file to my memory card using a card reader, I know that all the caches(300) are getting there cause I viewed the OV2 file and saw them all. The software only will place 100 cache icons on the map in the POI category. I have used filters to make different POI categories from diferent home points, so I know how to do that. Do you know of anyway to overcome the 100 POI max for an individual POI Category?

Keyman121

I have a litle question on using the GOO button on the toolbar??

I have managed to get the button to work, it opens the browser on the right page but I dont get an icon showing the cache???

Any suggestions how to fix this??

regards

unoyt

I have managed to get the button to work, it opens the browser on the right page but I dont get an icon showing the cache???

GSAK generates those buttons from your custom URLs

Go to Tools=>Options=>HTML and make sure you have the latest version of the Google custom urls:

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%ShortName=30)&hl=en

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%ShortName=30)&spn=0.020,0.020&t=k

Sorry, I don't agree. This is a GSAK problem (or at least a GPSBabel problem).

Then if that is your view could you please do as suggested and put your case in the GPSBabel lists.

I think I've stated my view adequately here. We clearly don't agree, and that's just fine.

Out of interest, I've just installed EasyGPS, and that's also quite happy sending hyphens to a Legend. I think it's clear that it's GSAK that's out of step here.

You don't seem to get it.

Whether I agree or not matters for nothing in the long run. It is not me that you have to convince to get this behaviour changed.

I think Jesters post sums it up nicely.

Or you could just use a space as a separator instead of a hyphen. Works just as well in making the text readable. Requires no further action on the part of you, Robert Lipe or Garmin. Problem solved!

I got my new Lowrance iFinder Hunt via Fed-Ex today and started playing with it. Of course this is my first Lowrance GPSr.

How do I get the waypoints from GSAK to the unit? I got some there by opening the file from GSAK into MapCreate and then loading the map into the SD card, but I'd hate to reload a map every time I wanted to add more waypoints. Is there an easier way to do this?

Also, what do I have to do in order to get the PQs onto a Palm? I have a Jornada 548 on the way that I will load the PQs on. It seems that the information that I've found show that GSAK can be used to load the PQs onto a Palm, but doesn't say how to go about doing it.

Any help?

GSAK generates those buttons from your custom URLs

Go to Tools=>Options=>HTML and make sure you have the latest version of the Google custom urls:

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%ShortName=30)&hl=en

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%ShortName=30)&spn=0.020,0.020&t=k

Man, you are really good at this.

Thank you very mutch Clyde.

Regards

unoyt

I got my new Lowrance iFinder Hunt via Fed-Ex today and started playing with it. Of course this is my first Lowrance GPSr.

How do I get the waypoints from GSAK to the unit? I got some there by opening the file from GSAK into MapCreate and then loading the map into the SD card, but I'd hate to reload a map every time I wanted to add more waypoints. Is there an easier way to do this?

Also, what do I have to do in order to get the PQs onto a Palm? I have a Jornada 548 on the way that I will load the PQs on. It seems that the information that I've found show that GSAK can be used to load the PQs onto a Palm, but doesn't say how to go about doing it.

Any help?

1. Native Lowrance support is now available in the 6.5 Beta version of GSAK

2. Some users like the GSAK HTML=>Plucker route, but many (and my recommendation) is to use GSAK in conjunction with CacheMate. There are many threads on this forum that discuss both. A good tutorial on how to go paperless with GSAK and CacheMate can be found here

Also, what do I have to do in order to get the PQs onto a Palm?  I have a Jornada 548 on the way that I will load the PQs on.  It seems that the information that I've found show that GSAK can be used to load the PQs onto a Palm, but doesn't say how to go about doing it.

Any help?

Actually, the Jornada 54x is NOT a "Palm" device; it is a Pocket PC. So the Palm software won't do.

I have a Jornada 540 and the only solution I was able to implement was to use GSAK's html export. I copy the whole folder that is generated (named "Cache") onto the CompactFlash card, then I use the built-in browser to browse to the index.htm file in that folder. It works pretty well, but it does not integrate your own notes (e.g. notes as to which you found).

GPXsonar is probably a better solution (I have not tried it myself) if the operating system on your Jornada can run it (needs to be at least "PPC 2003"). The OS on my 540 is too old and I don't think I can upgrade it.

Also, what do I have to do in order to get the PQs onto a Palm?  I have a Jornada 548 on the way that I will load the PQs on.  It seems that the information that I've found show that GSAK can be used to load the PQs onto a Palm, but doesn't say how to go about doing it.

Any help?

Actually, the Jornada 54x is NOT a "Palm" device; it is a Pocket PC. So the Palm software won't do.

I have a Jornada 540 and the only solution I was able to implement was to use GSAK's html export. I copy the whole folder that is generated (named "Cache") onto the CompactFlash card, then I use the built-in browser to browse to the index.htm file in that folder. It works pretty well, but it does not integrate your own notes (e.g. notes as to which you found).

GPXsonar is probably a better solution (I have not tried it myself) if the operating system on your Jornada can run it (needs to be at least "PPC 2003"). The OS on my 540 is too old and I don't think I can upgrade it.

Good pick up, thanks Hynr.

GPXSonar is in my opinion the application of choice for the Pocket PC.

There is actually an older version that will run on PPC 2002, but it is hidden in the archives or somewhere less obvious. This version is no longer being developed, but is still a very handy tool for geocaching with a PPC 2002 device.

Edited by ClydeE

When I try to add the waypoints to the SD card through GSAK, I click on the "Export to Lowrance USR..." and it runs, but only as though it is creating a file but not loading it onto the card. I have a card reader in my laptop and the one that came with the unit and neither one of these work to get the waypoints onto the card so that the unit can read it.

Any other suggestions?

I'll check out the GPXsonar.

When I try to add the waypoints to the SD card through GSAK, I click on the "Export to Lowrance USR..." and it runs, but only as though it is creating a file but not loading it onto the card. I have a card reader in my laptop and the one that came with the unit and neither one of these work to get the waypoints onto the card so that the unit can read it.

Any other suggestions?

I'll check out the GPXsonar.

What operating system are you running?

Does it create a file if you try setting the path to your hard disk?

Go to Tools=>Options=>Advanced and tick the "Debug mode" box.

Now try again and you should now see a "dos box".

Does this give you any more information on what the problem might be?

Essentially all it does is to create a file in a folder. I changed the folder to the drive that the card reader is. It installs a USR file onto the card but the GPSr still fails to see the file or see any of the waypoints. It is recognizing the map file that I loaded yesterday, but the waypoints didn't load with the map file.

When I tried the debug mode it just sent me to a DOS window and it said that it was finished and to press any key to continue.

Essentially all it does is to create a file in a folder. I changed the folder to the drive that the card reader is. It installs a USR file onto the card but the GPSr still fails to see the file or see any of the waypoints. It is recognizing the map file that I loaded yesterday, but the waypoints didn't load with the map file.

When I tried the debug mode it just sent me to a DOS window and it said that it was finished and to press any key to continue.

OK, it sounds like GSAK is generating the file, it is just that you can't see it in your GPSr.

I recall another thread where some one else was having a similar problem and the issue was the folder name or hierarchy where the file was being placed on the SD card.

Someone else with a Lowrance might be able to help you out on this, but try searching the forums using different search phrases to track that post down.

Alright...I got the problem solved. I had to go into the GPSr and tell it to look at the file. Once it looked at the file all the waypoints were there. I thought it was a problem with GSAK writing the file to the card, but come to find out the problem was with me not reading the manual. Heck, who reads those things anyway????

I just added a usb to serial adapter to the computer because the computer has no serial port. I checked the port in device manager and set it in gsak to com4. Now gsak freezes until I have to kill it when I try to send waypoints to the gps. Is this just me??

Thanks!

I just added a usb to serial adapter to the computer because the computer has no serial port. I checked the port in device manager and set it in gsak to com4. Now gsak freezes until I have to kill it when I try to send waypoints to the gps. Is this just me??

Thanks!

GSAK uses GPSBabel to communicate to your GPSr

GSAK generates a file called babel.bat in the install folder of GSAK just before it does the send to the GPSr

Try running this file outside of GSAK and see what, if any error messages you get.

Is there a way of filtering waypoints in GSAK and then using a macro to automatically turn that filter into a bookmark list on GC

(from the UK forum) i wanted to turn a PQ into a bookmark list but this may be a workarround.

The list in question is this one

I am not aware of any way that Groundspeak will currently let you do this via 3rd party software. To my knowledge you must go through the Groundspeak web interface to add/change bookmarks.

The Source field isn't updated on load of an individual GPX file from a cache page.

Actually, and more correctly, it's updated to null even if it was right previously.

Thanks.

GSAK updates the source type from the "Author" element in the GPX file. If it doesn't recognize the Author, then yes it will get updated to blank.

Usually all GPX files from Groundspeak contain <author>Groundspeak</author> in this element but I notice for some reason when you download a single gpx file from gc.com is contains <author>Account "xxxxxx" From Geocaching.com</author> where xxxxxx is your geocaching.com name.

Less than perfect, but I will change the next build of GSAK to look for geocaching.com in the author element to also recognize as source type "GC"

Is there a macro variable which holds the list of databases? What I want to do is loop round the databases applying the same commands to each

I can do it by generating a text file from a directory listing and reading that with GetFile, but as GSAK already knows the list of databases (to populate the database dropdown) I wonder if that list is exposed to the macro language?

Is there a macro variable which holds the list of databases? What I want to do is loop round the databases applying the same commands to each

I can do it by generating a text file from a directory listing and reading that with GetFile, but as GSAK already knows the list of databases (to populate the database dropdown) I wonder if that list is exposed to the macro language?

Currently no, but I will add it to "the list"

Hey Clyde, I have a request. The ability to filter out by a milage radius is great. I want to know if you can do it by a given number of caches from the center point. I would like to see this because i have an explorist and i would like export 200 caches or less at a time. Currently I have to set the Milage radius a few times before i can get below 200 caches to show up in the filetr. Let me know.

Hey Clyde, I have a request. The ability to filter out by a milage radius is great. I want to know if you can do it by a given number of caches from the center point. I would like to see this because i have an explorist and i would like export 200 caches or less at a time. Currently I have to set the Milage radius a few times before i can get below 200 caches to show up in the filetr. Let me know.

You can do this now:

1. Set you center point and sort by distance

2. Clear all user flags

3. Set user flags for next nn

4. Filter on userflag = set

There is also the macro Firstnn.txt available from http://gsak.net/Macros.php that will do all this for you (It even uses the MacroFlag so it won't disturb your Userflags if they are set for another purpose)

You might also want to check out the explorist.txt macro that one user wrote to get around this very problem (it will need altering for your own needs though)

Currently I have to set the Milage radius a few times before i can get below 200 caches to show up in the filetr. Let me know.

Besides Clyde's suggestions, you also have a screen prompt during the send for how many of the selected caches should actually be sent. So if you've sorted by distance, you can just tell it to send the nearest 200, no matter how many were selected by the filter.

Currently I have to set the Milage radius a few times before i can get below 200 caches to show up in the filetr.  Let me know.

Besides Clyde's suggestions, you also have a screen prompt during the send for how many of the selected caches should actually be sent. So if you've sorted by distance, you can just tell it to send the nearest 200, no matter how many were selected by the filter.

Good point - I forgot I added that feature in for the eXplorist export.

That I feel would be a better solution.

I'm glad someone uses the features that I add in and sometimes forget <_<:anicute:

Currently I have to set the Milage radius a few times before i can get below 200 caches to show up in the filetr.  Let me know.

I wish that feature was available on ALL exports. I go through the longer drill to send only the nearest caches to MapSource and NRoute, and it would be nice to just set the number to be exported to 100 or whatever.

I wish that feature was available on ALL exports. I go through the longer drill to send only the nearest caches to MapSource and NRoute, and it would be nice to just set the number to be exported to 100 or whatever.

If you do this often then use macros. The export command supports from and to for all export types.

Thank you for this great program. Is there a way to be able to right click a cache in GSAK and select a localized mapping program like Streets and Trips? If there is what would be the best mapping program to use?

I won't get into the "best" mapping program as everybody has their favorites.

I will say that the best integration with a mapping program is with "OziExplorer". It has the right click option you mention and a few other built in hooks as well.

Any mapping program that will accept a gpx file as a parameter you can also use this way by adding to the right click menu via "Run Program"

The macro language will also let you export to any of the supported mapping formats and if you have the file extension of that format associated with the mapping program you can fire it up with the OpenFile command.

If your country is supported, one good free solution is to use GoogleEarth. GSAK provides a macro you can use to automatically load caches to GE here

In the macro language, is there a way to convert numbers to strings? I can use the Val function to convert a string to a number, but I can't figure out how to go the other way!

Thanks!

I'm not expert in GSAK macros, but perhaps the Quote function (would enclose a number in double quotes, which is how the Macro language identifies strings). From the GSAK help file on Marco Expression Functions, I'm guessing the syntax would be something like:

set $_txt1 = Quote(Var Name)

In the macro language, is there a way to convert numbers to strings?  I can use the Val function to convert a string to a number, but I can't figure out how to go the other way!

Thanks!

I'm not expert in GSAK macros, but perhaps the Quote function (would enclose a number in double quotes, which is how the Macro language identifies strings). From the GSAK help file on Marco Expression Functions, I'm guessing the syntax would be something like:

set $_txt1 = Quote(Var Name)

Yep, that will do it, as will:

$aNumber = 25

$aString = "$aNumber"

Edited by ClydeE
Is there a way to select an individual waypoint(by name) and set the user flag?

I'm not quite sure what you mean but if you can see the waypoint in the grid (searched by name or not) you can just mouse click in the user flag box to set for that waypoint.

I'm not quite sure what you mean but if you can see the waypoint in the grid (searched by name or not) you can just mouse click in the user flag box to set for that waypoint.

I'm sorry for not being specific. Is there a way to select an individual waypoint(by name) and set the user flag from within a macro?

I'm sorry for not being specific. Is there a way to select an individual waypoint(by name) and set the user flag from within a macro?

Yes, you can do this for any selection you can set a filter on.

If you do a search by name you may also want to test the system variable $_FilterCount in case of duplicates (no need if filtering by code because codes are always unique).

For example you want to set the user flag for the cache named "Big Red":

MFilter If=$d_name = "Big Red"
# Only set the user flag if we find at least one (this code will just select the first found)
If $_FilterCount > 0
 UserFlag Type=Set Range=1
EndIf
CancelFilter

Edited by ClydeE

I've just started the work of cleaning up the extra found log records that got into my master database as a result of the deleted records being in those early "My Finds" pocket queries (as described a couple of pages earlier in this thread). It's only 6 records which need to be deleted, but with well over a million log records in my really-huge database, it's taking a bit of time.

But this got me thinking about another feature. I might be helpful of the "multi-found count" was displayable. It could either replace the existing found flag, or, more likely, be a separate column. This might make it simpler for people to understand what happens when there are duplicated log records and the like. And it would then be easier to see the count on caches that have multiple stages, or other legitimate reasons to have a multi-found status.

Of course this is too late for 6.5 (unless it's there... I haven't had time to look), but perhaps for some future release.

My best,

Dick "RheS" Smith

I've just started the work of cleaning up the extra found log records that got into my master database as a result of the deleted records being in those early "My Finds" pocket queries (as described a couple of pages earlier in this thread).  It's only 6 records which need to be deleted, but with well over a million log records in my really-huge database, it's taking a bit of time.

But this got me thinking about another feature.  I might be helpful of the "multi-found count" was displayable.  It could either replace the existing found flag, or, more likely, be a separate column.  This might make it simpler for people to understand what happens when there are duplicated log records and the like.  And it would then be easier to see the count on caches that have multiple stages, or other legitimate reasons to have a multi-found status.

Of course this is too late for 6.5 (unless it's there... I haven't had time to look), but perhaps for some future release.

Yep, this one is there in 6.5. You can view the column, sort, filter, and use in macros :anitongue::ph34r:

For a full list of changes in the new 6.5 Beta please see http://gsak.net/ver650/hs1060.htm

Edited by ClydeE
... But this got me thinking about another feature.  I might be helpful of the "multi-found count" was displayable....

Yep, this one is there in 6.5. You can view the column, sort, filter, and use in macros :anitongue::ph34r:

Nice to be anticipated! Thanks... perhaps it's time to try the beta version.