Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

am using the GoogleEarth plug-in and think it is great. Is there any way of making the cache names come up only when the location is clicked on? This is the way the GC.com KML file works and it makes for a less cluttered screen.

Using the GSAK plug-in which shows all the names all the time makes the screen very cluttered and difficult to read, especially when names overlap.

am using the GoogleEarth plug-in and think it is great. Is there any way of making the cache names come up only when the location is clicked on? This is the way the GC.com KML file works and it makes for a less cluttered screen.

Using the GSAK plug-in which shows all the names all the time makes the screen very cluttered and difficult to read, especially when names overlap.

GSAK uses GPSBabel to generate the KML file to show in GE.

AFAIK this option is not supported by GPSBabel.

I have three issues I'd like to resolve.

1. How an I transfer the waypoint comments in EasyGPS into GSAK?

2. When I upload the waypoints from my MAP60, the [incomplete] notes become the waypont name; why? How do I change this? Additionally, the icons in the GPS get converted to a question mark icon. How can I get them to transfer correctly?

2. How do you sort out unfound caches? I tried the "Found status" boxes in the "General" tab in the filter section, but that didn't do anything. And yes, I had unfound caches in the PQ.

Tnx.

I figured out something about Q1 and Q2.

The Waypoint Name in GSAK becomes the Note in the GPS, and vice versa. But, when downloading to the GPS, it adds "by" in the notes, as well as the rating in paranthesis. How can I get GSAK not to add "by" and the rating?. It does the same when I convert to a readable MapSource file.

I figured out something about Q1 and Q2.

The Waypoint Name in GSAK becomes the Note in the GPS, and vice versa.  But, when downloading to the GPS, it adds "by" in the notes, as well as the rating in paranthesis.  How can I get GSAK not to add "by" and the rating?.  It does the same when I convert to a readable MapSource file.

When sending waypoints to the GPSr you can use any special tags you like for the notes. For more information please see "special tags" in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs10300.htm

cap21.png

Edited by ClydeE
I have three issues I'd like to resolve.

....snip

3. How do you sort out unfound caches? I tried the "Found status" boxes in the "General" tab in the filter section, but that didn't do anything. And yes, I had unfound caches in the PQ.

Tnx.

The root of your problem is answered by items 2 and 10 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

But just to clarify:

The found status of caches (and the Found by me date) will only work if:

1. Your GSAK database is being updated with GPX files from gc.com (not loc files)

2. You tell GSAK correctly how to match your found logs.

To get item 2 correct make sure you have the "method for matching hidden

and found" caches filled out correctly (Tools=>Options=>General). For

more information see the help file or view this section online here

http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

Actually, never mind.  GPX = KML, at least for this purpose.

Not quite.

Perhaps the biggest benefit of using KML rather that GPX is that the KML file extension is associated with Google Earth. This means if you use the FILEOPEN macro command the waypoints will automtically be loaded into GE.

GPX is usually associated with GSAK or some other program (Never GE unless you have manually done this association yourself) making automatic starting of GE with the waypoints loaded not possible

Edited by ClydeE
how big of a problem would it be to implement the export to the "MS Autoroute 2005" Format?

AFAIK MS Autoroute is just the German/European version of MS Streets and Trips.

So you should be able to just use the MS Streets and Trips export, and then import this file into Autoroute.

For a good tutorial on how to do this import please see this link

Probably already covered but a quick search didn't turn up anything.

I use Auto-navigation so of course I have waypoint for my home. Every time I load up PQ results into my GPS I have to 'Manage' my home waypoint by pasting it in from another file I have for saved waypoints. (Garmin used to have a Favorite Waypoints section that allowed me to have saved waypoints in my GPS, but that option has been dropped)

It would be a nice option to have one or more pre-determined waypoints always present in GASK regardless if I allow uploads to over-write old information.

I know I can add coordinates to use for a Centre Point, but this would be a permanant waypoint that could be exported along with other waypoints.

Is this already an option? Can it be? Is there an alternative method in some other program??

Probably already covered but a quick search didn't turn up anything.

I use Auto-navigation so of course I have waypoint for my home. Every time I load up PQ results into my GPS I have to 'Manage' my home waypoint by pasting it in from another file I have for saved waypoints. (Garmin used to have a Favorite Waypoints section that allowed me to have saved waypoints in my GPS, but that option has been dropped)

It would be a nice option to have one or more pre-determined waypoints always present in GASK regardless if I allow uploads to over-write old information.

I know I can add coordinates to use for a Centre Point, but this would be a permanant waypoint that could be exported along with other waypoints.

Is this already an option? Can it be? Is there an alternative method in some other program??

Are you specifying Clear database before loading? Because it sounds like this is the problem. I have my home coordinates in my database and it never disappears.

Are you specifying Clear database before loading? Because it sounds like this is the problem. I have my home coordinates in my database and it never disappears.

Yes, I clear the database whenever I load a new PQ and I want to remove the old.

Are we talking the same thing? My home coordinates that I use as a centre point is still loaded. I'm talking about an actual waypoint.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Yes, I clear the database whenever I load a new PQ and I want to remove the old.

Are we talking the same thing? My home coordinates that I use as a centre point is still loaded. I'm talking about an actual waypoint.

Don't clear your database each time. That's why your waypoint for home is being deleted. You're telling GSAK to clear the database. You don't need to do that. Just load the PQ and any matching waypoints will be updated and any new waypoints will be added. And any existing (like home) waypoints will be left in the database.

What Grampakim said.

I have a few waypoints that I"ve manually created in my GSAK database. One of these is "home". So no, we're not talking about Centerpoint location. We're talking a line entry in GSAK for "Home", with coordinates, but no description.

When loading a new query - especially if it's for your same area - do as Grandpakim said and don't do "Clear before loading." After it's loaded as he's described, you can go back and delete any waypoints you've previously found. This is simplified if you select to "reset user flag" as well.

Previous arguments are good reasons not to clear your database before loading.

Also, by not clearing your database logs will accumulate for each cache. This can be very significant when trying to glean information about a hard to find cache.

However, if you feel you really need to clear the database before loading, then I suggest you add these type of waypoints to another database.

Then to save having to do 2 actions of sending waypoints to your GPSr just set up a macro and run this when ever you want to send waypoints to your GPSr. Assuming you now have databases with the names of "main" and "other", the following should do it:

Database Name=Main
Export type=GPS
Database Name=Other
Export type=GPS

Now just add this macro as a tool button then it is only one mouse click away.

I have recently upgraded my system with a new computer running Windows XP (had 98 before and no problems with GSAK).  Now when I run a PQ and receive the zip file in an email, I seem to have to save it first to my desktop and THEN drag and drop onto GSAK.  When I drag and drop the attached file directly (i.e. without saving first), then I get the open dialog box with the following file name

C:\DOCUME~1\HP_OWNER\LOCALS~1\184439.zip

which produces an Error: There are no matching files to load.  Import aborted.

Are some of my settings wrong in the email program or in the XP setup ?

I had a similar problem early on that required me to save the zip file first. I have a hunch that it was an update that 'fixed it'. But I also noted a difference in operation in HOW you try to load the file.

First, I use MS Outlook for my mail - and XP.

Now, I used to OPEN the e-mail but it would not open GSA when I tried to load the file (hence the save operation) . But I found that if I just click the Paper Clip icon on the right and double click the pop up for the zip it worked just fine. But now I find that it works OK when I open the e-mail too - this is why I think it may have been a new version that made that work for me.

My point here is that your problem MAY be in just how you are trying to load it. What is your mail program? What about your Windows updates? Are they recent?

Are you using SP1 or SP2? Could be a lot of different things going on here but I don't think it is your settings in GSAK.

I don't try to drag and drop - I just double click the zip file.

I am using Windows XP SP2, Mozilla Thunderbird for email, and GSAK 6.02 . So I should have installed all the latest updates. It must be a setting somewhere !

I wonder if Thunderbird is causing the problems. I found your message (admittedly a little bit old) because I'm having this very problem. When I drag the Zip file over to the GSAK icon, and tell it to import, I get "There are no matching files to load. Import aborted." But if I save to disk, then drag on, it works. I tried opening the zip, then dragging the gpx file, but got a different warning message about how XP doesn't do that well. I can stick with save then drag, although that's an extra couple of steps (save, open up the file manager, find the file, then drag).

Another issue I had, not sure if it's related to this, it didn't seem to recognize my "found" caches. I just uploaded to the recent GSAK, I haven't been caching in a while due to a newborn occupying a lot of time (gotta have some priorities :lol:) I'm pretty sure that before it did recognize the found caches.

I wonder if Thunderbird is causing the problems. I found your message (admittedly a little bit old) because I'm having this very problem. When I drag the Zip file over to the GSAK icon, and tell it to import, I get "There are no matching files to load. Import aborted." But if I save to disk, then drag on, it works. I tried opening the zip, then dragging the gpx file, but got a different warning message about how XP doesn't do that well. I can stick with save then drag, although that's an extra couple of steps (save, open up the file manager, find the file, then drag).

Yea, this is an inconsistent one all right. For some reason some email clients remove the temporary file before GSAK gets a chance to load it - hence the "not found" type message. Another way to get around all this is to use File=>Getmail. If your PQs are being sent to a Pop3 account you can have GSAK automatically download from the account and load into your database - no dragging and dropping or missing file messages.

Another issue I had, not sure if it's related to this, it didn't seem to recognize my "found" caches.  I just uploaded to the recent GSAK, I haven't been caching in a while due to a newborn occupying a lot of time (gotta have some priorities  :lol:)  I'm pretty sure that before it did recognize the found caches.

Please see this post

I have a question about "missing logs" after a download. One of the caches I got on my download at the end of the 27th is missing about 15 logs - essentially most all of the page logs for the 26th and some for the 27th, except for the last cache log on the 27th. In other words, my GSAK page is missing a whole lot of material. What could cause this?

I have a question about "missing logs" after a download. One of the caches I got on my download at the end of the 27th is missing about 15 logs - essentially most all of the page logs for the 26th and some for the 27th, except for the last cache log on the 27th. In other words, my GSAK page is missing a whole lot of material. What could cause this?

The GPX files you get from Groundspeak only contain the last 5 logs (plus your own). If you are getting your PQ weekly and some caches get high activity (that is, more than 5 logs since your last download) you will not get those logs.

There is some talk that Groundspeak will be shortly increasing this limit to 10. If you really need all logs for all your caches then you will need to increase the frequency of your PQ download.

Note: Even if you updated your PQ to run daily, this would still be an issue for any cache that had more than 5 logs in the one day.

Edited by ClydeE

That explains it. I get it twice a week, but the cache gets many more logs. Looking back, I see I've missed many, many before but never noticed it. By the way, I actually got 6 new logs from my last download. Thanks for the quick reply.

Edit; ooops, one of those six was mine..so it's still 5.

Edited by Muirwoody
Another way to get around all this is to use File=>Getmail. If your PQs are being sent to a Pop3 account you can have GSAK automatically download from the account and load into your database - no dragging and dropping or missing file messages.

I saw that option, but I'm using an IMAP account. So much better than POP (except in this case I guess. :lol: )

Please see this post

Hmmm, must have gotten picky on case sensitivity. I know it was working before, but now it started working when I changed Nighthawk700 to nighthawk700. Heck, as long as it works.

Thanks!!

Now if I can get away long enough to do a cache again...

Another way to get around all this is to use File=>Getmail. If your PQs are being sent to a Pop3 account you can have GSAK automatically download from the account and load into your database - no dragging and dropping or missing file messages.

I saw that option, but I'm using an IMAP account. So much better than POP (except in this case I guess. :lol: )

Many users have just opened up a free Gmail account (it supports pop3) and use it purley to send and retreive PQs .

When you create a PQ you can specifiy the address where it is to go and this does not have to be the same as your current contact address.

Clyde, is there anyway to register without using PayPal? PayPal just doesn't work for me. Every time I try it tells me my session has timed out and I need to reenter all of the information. :lol:

Don't forget, you can use PayPal without having to sign up for an account.

PM also sent with more details.

First time I have had a problem with GSAK - typically I download the GPX files - export to Cachemate and Mapsource - worked fine yesterday on a database. I went to download a new PQ this morning and it would NOT export the waypoints to the Mapsource file. I did some troubleshooting and modified known databases and they would not update the MS file, I created new db and new MS file still nothing. I restarted - nothing - I downloaded GSAK - restarted - nothing. I am at a loss as to why I cannot export to Mapsource - HELP - I want to go caching this afternoon :cool:

Apart from the above this is the greatest thing to hit since bubblegum

First time I have had a problem with GSAK - typically I download the GPX files - export to Cachemate and Mapsource - worked fine yesterday on a database. I went to download a new PQ this morning and it would NOT export the waypoints to the Mapsource file. I did some troubleshooting and modified known databases and they would not update the MS file, I created new db and new MS file still nothing. I restarted - nothing - I downloaded GSAK - restarted - nothing. I am at  a loss as to why I cannot export to Mapsource - HELP - I want to go caching this afternoon :cool:

Apart from the above this is the greatest thing to hit since bubblegum

I am not sure what you mean by "nothing"

Do you mean GSAK doesn't create a MPS file?

If it does create a file, when you look at the file size in windows explorer how many bytes does it have?

Do you get any error messages when trying to create the file?

Are sure you are not creating a gdb file when you really want a mps file?

Edited by ClydeE

thanks for the quick reply - I am duplicating my previous actions - in other words I am doing what I always have done -and that is a .mps file.

as for "nothing" - I export to an .mps file - with "87 waypoints" - when I open that file the waypoints are not present - I am also attempting to find my mapsource software and see if that is the problem - do you have any suggestions

new input - I went to a known GPX database - renamed it - then I exported to .mps file - when I went to MS it was not there..I went back to the renamed file and exported it again - I got a message stating that this file was there and did I want to overright it - i said yes - but when i go to MS the file is not there

I'm a new GSAK user. I'm having a newby problem. After loading gpx waypoints to GSAK, I wanted to export them to my explorist. Using File--Export--Explorist/SD, I get a dialog box. I complete all the info on the dialog box and generate. Everything looks ok at this point. The file appears on the SD card and points are inside it. However, when I open the file on the explorist, no caches appear.

I've used the same file with Magellan Geocache Manager and the caches appear just fine on the explorer.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Bob

I'm a new GSAK user. I'm having a newby problem. After loading gpx waypoints to GSAK, I wanted to export them to my explorist. Using File--Export--Explorist/SD, I get a dialog box. I complete all the info on the dialog box and generate. Everything looks ok at this point. The file appears on the SD card and points are inside it. However, when I open the file on the explorist, no caches appear.

I've used the same file with Magellan Geocache Manager and the caches appear just fine on the explorer.

What am I doing wrong?

Perhaps it is a similar issue as discussed in this thread

thanks for the quick reply - I am duplicating my previous actions - in other words I am doing what I always have done -and that is a .mps file.

as for "nothing" - I export to an .mps file - with "87 waypoints" - when I open that file the waypoints are not present - I am also attempting to find my mapsource software and see if that is the problem - do you have any suggestions

Hmm, I am out of ideas at the moment.

I suspect it may be settings related and you have inadvertently changed something on the MapSource export dialog.

Please do a "Tools=>Send debug info to Clyde" and email me the tracking number

I can then look at your settings and see if there is anything obvious that is not right.

sent the tools info to you - tracking number 501

i used another database and still got 4 caches today :lol:

Thanks.

As I suspected you have inadvertently changed the file name to output.

Your current settings indicate the file you are trying to output does not have a name, but just the extension of .mps

cap23.png

For example if you want your mps file to be called "myfile" it should look like this:

cap24.png

Edited by ClydeE

THANK YOU :drama: THANK YOU :lol:

Something that simple - not being a programmer I did not recognize what I had done.

once again GSAK has come through

I have often wondered why you don't "charge" for the upgrades - or offer something for monetary value - your software is in the extreme for being underpriced. Perhaps a yearly fee (the reason I subscribed was benefit #6).

I don't know if everybody agrees with me on that

THANK YOU :drama: THANK YOU :lol:

Something that simple - not being a programmer I did not recognize what I had done.

once again GSAK has come through

I have often wondered why you don't "charge" for the upgrades - or offer something for monetary value - your software is in the extreme for being underpriced. Perhaps a yearly fee (the reason I subscribed was benefit #6).

I don't know if everybody agrees with me on that

I am sure not everybody would! :drama: but thanks for you view on this :drama: . I just hope most registered users find GSAK "value for money"

extremely so -

while I agree with his principal I'm not sure I'd want to pay too much more - tht was what made it so attractive in the first place - but on a different tack - maybe a 'basic version' with plug ins for some of the neat new features as an incentive to purchase these features.

cc\

extremely so -

while I agree with his principal I'm not sure I'd want to pay too much more - tht was what made it so attractive in the first place - but on a different tack - maybe a 'basic version' with plug ins for some of the neat new features as an incentive to purchase these features.

cc\

I am not suggesting Clyde charge hundreds of dollars - but I believe he is entitled to fees etc from time to time - it is not reasonable for us as consumers - to buy something (GSAK) for $20 or whatever and then expect upgrades and service for years to come.

There has to be a way it can be done - and you have come up with one approach - maybe other people will jump in and speak their piece and contribute (money?)

extremely so -

Yes, I have toyed with this idea. However, being a simple person at heart I just didn't want to complicate things.

Without trying to sound like a dork or patronising here is my philosophy:

I have now been working full time (it is now my job as well as a hobby) on GSAK for around 18 months now. I have modest financial goals, and currently these are being met. While they continue to do so, I plan to maintain the status quo. If this situation changes then I will need to review my approach and come up with a solution that is palatable to almost everyone.

As the user base for GSAK keeps growing, I do have to be careful that I don't drown in user support - my mail box keeps taking longer to clear each day :drama: and this keeps me from my true love of programming.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the more experienced GSAK users that help me in this regard and answer questions in this forum. Your help is appreciated and it does lighten the load :lol: