Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I have a suggestion for an additional feature to the HTML export. I would like to see the option to use the GCxxxx code as the filename for the html file (i.e. GCxxxx.htm) rather than the sequential numbers. 

This would open up new opportunities for reusing the htm files. In particular, one would not be totally dependant on the index.htm file. If one encounters issues with one particular cache htm file, then one could manually intervene more easily. Also, this is useful on older PocketPCs where it can be much faster to find GCxxxx.htm in the folder listing than in the index.htm file, because if that file is large, it can take a minute or so to load. Also, I use smart codes, so my index file is not sorted by GCcode; yet when I cache with others we need communicate about the caches with the GCcode. One could also retain older htm files from previous html exports and have them be somewhat useful, rather than totally useless. ... basically I see several uses that are compelling to me.

GSAK used to work the way you're suggesting, but there were problems. Please see this post and this post for the reasons why Clyde changed things.

Hmm. That does not make sense. There are no spacial characters in GCcodes; just alphanumerics.

So the old code is probably still there, just commented out; maybe it could be made available with a checkbox (and with special character stripping for safety).

And where I read Clyde say in that old thread that "you cannot please them all" - someone other than Clyde must have made that post ... because he sure tries to please all of us all the time. Thanks, Clyde. This is not that important an issue, it was just a suggestion.

I'm having trouble deleting old filters that I don't need any longer.  I go into the filter screen (Ctrl F)  and select delete and hilight a filter and hit the delete button.  It keeps coming back with 0 filters deleted.  What am I doing wrong?

It is not sufficient to just "Hightlight" the filter(s) to delete, you must tick the little box first.

cap44.png

Edited by ClydeE
I have a suggestion for an additional feature to the HTML export. I would like to see the option to use the GCxxxx code as the filename for the html file (i.e. GCxxxx.htm) rather than the sequential numbers. 

This would open up new opportunities for reusing the htm files. In particular, one would not be totally dependant on the index.htm file. If one encounters issues with one particular cache htm file, then one could manually intervene more easily. Also, this is useful on older PocketPCs where it can be much faster to find GCxxxx.htm in the folder listing than in the index.htm file, because if that file is large, it can take a minute or so to load. Also, I use smart codes, so my index file is not sorted by GCcode; yet when I cache with others we need communicate about the caches with the GCcode. One could also retain older htm files from previous html exports and have them be somewhat useful, rather than totally useless. ... basically I see several uses that are compelling to me.

GSAK used to work the way you're suggesting, but there were problems. Please see this post and this post for the reasons why Clyde changed things.

Hmm. That does not make sense. There are no spacial characters in GCcodes; just alphanumerics.

So the old code is probably still there, just commented out; maybe it could be made available with a checkbox (and with special character stripping for safety).

If only it were that simple. I did not make the change lightly, and I did consider the alternative as you suggest.

However, I will point out some of the obvious problems going down this route.

1. By removing these special characters you can end up with a file name that is not the same as the the original waypoint code. We then have to keep track of these "exceptions" in many places.

2. By removing special characters you open up the possibility of file name collision because there in no guarantee the resulting file name will now be unique.

3. A waypoint name that just happens to have only these special characters will now get a blank file name generated.

4. There are issues involved with export formats that support local html files (Streets & trips and Memory map for example)

These are just the obvious ones. There are other issues that are not so obvious, and I am willing to bet there are ones I haven't even thought of.

Even if I did program around all these "issues" I then have the joyful task of trying to explain this convoluted naming convention in the help (yea, and who reads that :D ) and I am sure to increase my support burden by users that are confused by it all.

By now I am hoping you can see it is starting to take on an "icky" factor of significant proportions.

There are times when I just have to put on my developers hat and be very objective about it all. If the cons out weigh the pros then I really need to learn how to say "no".

This is one such occasion :D

Edited by ClydeE
I have a suggestion for an additional feature to the HTML export.

I also would also need an addition to the HTML export.

In some caches there are external links to pictures included in the description. If I use this export on my PPC with handyfunktion, on every cache I open the PPC tries to open an external internetconnection. I must abort this connection every time.

So my request: Is it possible for html-export to scan the description for external links and remove them, replace them with an text "external link removed".

This feature should be configured (switch on/off) in the html-export dialog, because sometimes it is necessary too.

Chris

I have a suggestion for an additional feature to the HTML export.

I also would also need an addition to the HTML export.

In some caches there are external links to pictures included in the description. If I use this export on my PPC with handyfunktion, on every cache I open the PPC tries to open an external internetconnection. I must abort this connection every time.

So my request: Is it possible for html-export to scan the description for external links and remove them, replace them with an text "external link removed".

This feature should be configured (switch on/off) in the html-export dialog, because sometimes it is necessary too.

Chris

Ok, I will add it to "the list"

I'm having trouble deleting old filters that I don't need any longer.  I go into the filter screen (Ctrl F)  and select delete and hilight a filter and hit the delete button.  It keeps coming back with 0 filters deleted.  What am I doing wrong?

On the "Delete a Filter" dialog box, you have to check the check box (click in the box so that a check mark appears) for the filter you want to delete, not just highlight it.

Edit: Oops - note to self - check for another page before replying to the last post on a page. :D

Edited by Kai Team
Another feature request :D

A Donate button on your GSAK-homepage. I think a few people will use it. Me too, especially for christmas this year. So you can buy a special christmas present for your wife. :D

I'll second the idea of offering an easy way to make additional donations to GSAK development, although a donate button on the home page may be confusing to some (i.e. users may think they are registering by donating - don't want that!). Clyde - what's the easiest way to send you a little extra cash?

It is not sufficient to just "Hightlight" the filter(s) to delete, you must tick the little box first.

That worked. Just as an FYI, the check boxes do not show up on my system. That's why it was confusing. Once I new that there were checkboxes, I was good. Thanks for the quick response. I love your product and have relied on it for a year now.

I second that donation button. I'd gladly donate for something I continue to use.

I agree with the idea to add a donation method - I'm continually impressed by the quick response and helpfulness of Clyde. I made a suggestion and had it implemented within days. Where else could you get close to that kind of response? I don't even remember what I paid to register, but it doesn't come close to the value I've gotten.

If only it were that simple. I did not make the change lightly, and I did consider the alternative as you suggest.

However, I will point out some of the obvious problems going down this route.

1. By removing these special characters you can end up with a file name that is not the same as the the original waypoint code. We then have to keep track of these "exceptions" in many places.

2. By removing special characters you open up the possibility of file name collision because there in no guarantee the resulting file name will now be unique.

3. A waypoint name that just happens to have only these special characters will now get a blank file name generated.

4. There are issues involved with export formats that support local html files (Streets & trips and Memory map for example)

These are just the obvious ones. There are other issues that are not so obvious, and I am willing to bet there are ones I haven't even thought of.

Even if I did program around all these "issues" I then have the joyful task of trying to explain this convoluted naming convention in the help (yea, and who reads that ;) ) and I am sure to increase my support burden by users that are confused by it all.

By now I am hoping you can see it is starting to take on an "icky" factor of significant proportions.

There are times when I just have to put on my developers hat and be very objective about it all. If the cons out weigh the pros then I really need to learn how to say "no".

This is one such occasion B)

I'm another user that would like to see the HTML files use waypoint code as the file name. My biggest complaints about GSAK are that there is no predicatble way to associate an HTML file name with a given cache and that I must regenerate all cache pages whenever I update a subset of the caches in the database.

I regularly cache in three states. Therefore, I maintain a largish GSAK database built from PQs covering most of IL, about 1/2 of IN and the southwest corner of OH. My PQs are staggered throghout the week, updating different geographical regions at different times.

I understand your "software developers" reasoning for the change. However, from my "developer's standpoint" it seems wasteful to re-export the entire database when only a fraction of the data has changed just because the caches are dynamically numbered starting with "1".

Please consider one of the alternatives:

1. Enable a "legacy mode" for power users that uses the waypoint code as the file name. Make a ini-file setting, a command line flag or undocumented macro instruction. Make the feature "unsupported" or use-at-your-own-risk if you are worried about supporting it.

2. Assign a static identifier to each cache entry that is used for the naming of the html files. Use a default mechanism to assign the value, but let that value be overridden (by say the waypoint code B) ).

I realize that only exporting a portion of the database can make the nearest cache links on some of the non-updated pages and the indexes out of date. For me, that's ok because I don't generate those anyway.

Clyde, thanks for all the work you've put into GSAK. It is a great tool.

OK,

I got my push pins on my map!

When I create a map for export in streets and trips it creates a .gdb file.

I changed the name of the gsak push pin file to add .gdb to the end of the name and it puts the pins on the map when I open it in my ppc.???

I don't know anything about this stuff but this worked for me. ;)

Thanks for the help!

Ken

(one confused ppc user!)

The map file for Pocket Streets should be ???.mps The pushpin file should be ???.psp Both file should begin with the same name. Where did you get the .gdb file? When you export from GSAK to Pocket Streets it will creat a ???.psp

I’m not sure where that .gdb file came from??

I did another map set and pushpin file and it was .mps & .psp file.

Obviously I do not know what I’m doing! :ninja:

It’s all a bit over whelming for me and I probably would not own a computer if it were not for gaocaching. :ninja: Then throw a PPC in on top and I’m stressing. :ninja:

Ken

I didn't find an answer to my question here, so I'll post my problem.

Why is GSAK accepting only 999 waypoints in its database from PQs. I tried to load some more PQs but it doesn't add the waypoints to the DB. Didn't find a possibility to change this in the options.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Thomas.

I didn't find an answer to my question here, so I'll post my problem.

Why is GSAK accepting only 999 waypoints in its database from PQs. I tried to load some more PQs but it doesn't add the waypoints to the DB. Didn't find a possibility to change this in the options.

There is no such limit in GSAK. I have a few users with databases that have more than 100,000 caches (and over a million logs) without any problems.

I suspect it is settings related. The first thing that comes to mind is that you have selected "existing only" in your update options:

cap45.png

Ran over 200 caches this weekend, of the 450 loaded into my GPS via GSAK.

Now I want to use GSAK to log the 200+ finds on the gc.com site, with generic logs . . . can it be done as a bulk upload from a GSAK file?

Please point me to the data source to answer this query . . . one-at-a-time will take longer than the finding did in the field.

Being quite new to goecaching in general and GSAK in particular, I have a question that must have been answered countless times before but I haven't found the answer yet.

Using a Garmin GPS60C, when either uploading or downloading waypoints between the GPS and GSAK, I get a duplicate set of the waypoints, i.e. the waypoints already loaded in either are repeated in the other. I'm sure there is an easy way to up/download only newly added waypoints and I would appreciate finding the 'cache' that holds that little trick.

Thanks for any help....

TeamMCC

Ran over 200 caches this weekend, of the 450 loaded into my GPS via GSAK.

Now I want to use GSAK to log the 200+ finds on the gc.com site, with generic logs . . . can it be done as a bulk upload from a GSAK file? 

Please point me to the data source to answer this query . . . one-at-a-time will take longer than the finding did in the field.

Easiest way to do this would be to use the "semi automatic" logging feature in GSAK via a macro.

You will need to run a macro that will do this (see below) following these steps:

1. Copy your generic log text to the Windows clipboard

2. Set a filter on the caches you want to log

3. Run the "semi automatic logging" macro

GoTo Position=Top
While .not. $_eol
 # Now call up the log page for this cache (press Ctrl-V to paste GSAK info the log box)
 WEB url="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=%gcid"
 Pause msg="When log finished, click on continue"
 GoTo Position=next
EndWhile
GoTo Position=Top

Edit: Fixed incorrect spelling of keyword Position in Goto Command

Edited by ClydeE
Being quite new to goecaching in general and GSAK in particular, I have a question that must have been answered countless times before but I haven't found the answer yet.

Using a Garmin GPS60C, when either uploading or downloading waypoints between the GPS and GSAK, I get a duplicate set of the waypoints, i.e. the waypoints already loaded in either are repeated in the other. I'm sure there is an easy way to up/download only newly added waypoints and I would appreciate finding the  'cache' that holds that little trick.

Thanks for any help....

TeamMCC

Well, I never upload waypoints from my 60CS to the computer. And I always delete all waypoints from my GPSr prior to downloading, just so I don't end up with duplicates. Why are you uploading waypoints from your GPSr? Is it to get just a few new ones that you created on the GPSr? If that's the case, upload the GPSr to a different database, move the few waypoints to your default database, and then delete all of the waypoints in the other database.

Using a Garmin GPS60C, when either uploading or downloading waypoints between the GPS and GSAK, I get a duplicate set of the waypoints, i.e. the waypoints already loaded in either are repeated in the other. I'm sure there is an easy way to up/download only newly added waypoints and I would appreciate finding the 'cache' that holds that little trick.

Thanks for any help....

TeamMCC

All waypoints must have a unique code or name.

What this means is that you have done generations at various times using different "codes" for the same waypoint.

For example when you send waypoints to your GPSr you can use the existing GCXXXX code or a GSAK generated smart name.

However, if you want to do the round trip sending and receiving waypoints to and from GSAK then the "code" must match for both generations.

To do this when you send waypoint to your GPSr you must use the %code special tag rather than %smart

Please also see this post

:P Thanks Clyde for the information . . . I am sharing it with my caching buddies who are more literate than I & I will try it too. What a time savings it will be.

We downloaded all of our finds into a new GSAK file from our 60CS at the end of each day, so we have a clean file to addres that contains ONLY our finds.

Great response, love your software . . . really super and compatible with other needs (GPS, mapping, PPC).

Granpa Alex

Just a quick FYI

In macro the code:

=============================================

GoTo Postion=Top

While .not. $_eol

# Now call up the log page for this cache (press Ctrl-V to paste GSAK info the log box)

WEB url="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=%gcid"

Pause msg="When log finished, click on continue"

GoTo Position=next

EndWhile

GoTo Postion=Top

==============================================

The word "Position" in the second line and last line is spelled incorrectly. Thus it won't run

OK, I am a little lazy, I didn't go through the 24 pages on this topic to see if the question is answered anywhere.

It appears that there is no way to get a pocket query that contains archived caches so that the status can be updated in GSAK. Has anyone come up with an automated way to do this?

OK, I am a little lazy, I didn't go through the 24 pages on this topic to see if the question is answered anywhere.

It appears that there is no way to get a pocket query that contains archived caches so that the status can be updated in GSAK. Has anyone come up with an automated way to do this?

Most common way is to sort on last update GPX date.

Any that have a date which is older than your PQ are usually because they have been archived.

For one discussion on this topic please see related posts starting here

Clyde, in my post further up the page (abbreviated here):

I have a suggestion for an additional feature to the HTML export. I would like to see the option to use the GCxxxx code as the filename for the html file (i.e. GCxxxx.htm) rather than the sequential numbers.  <snip>
<snip>
<snip>

However, ...<snip>...

This is one such occasion :)

...I was not asking you to create a html filename using the name that the owner assigned to the cache, but rather to use the GCcode that geocaching.com assigns. There are no special symbols, just normal letters and numbers. Sorry if I was not clear about that. When one downloads a single cache gpx file it is name GCxxxx.gpx; so having GCxxxx.htm can be done just as easily (no character stripping is needed). Does the emphatic "NO" still apply?

Hynr.

...I was not asking you to create a html filename using the name that the owner assigned to the cache, but rather to use the GCcode that geocaching.com assigns. There are no special symbols, just normal letters and numbers. Sorry if I was not clear about that. When one downloads a single cache gpx file it is name GCxxxx.gpx; so having GCxxxx.htm can be done just as easily (no character stripping is needed). Does the emphatic "NO" still apply?

I understand what you are asking.

However, what I am saying is that not all codes in a GSAK users database are necessarily GCXXXX and hence can contain problem characters.

GSAK allows for for the loading of Benchmarks, and many types of GPX files and also user added codes. (with the release of 6.5 we also have grabbed waypoints and locations).

There is no restriction in the characters that make up the waypoint code and these problem characters were the reason for the change in using the code for the generated file name, so my previous post does in fact refer to the waypoint code and not the waypoint name.

Since making that post I did give it more thought and had a couple of ideas for a "compromise" but I won't be committing to anything until I have had a chance to think it through thoroughly, combined with some mock testing. In trying to get around the problems in my previous post it is still "icky" but with a compromise it is less so.

So the NO is not so emphatic, but we still have quite a way to go before it is a yes :)

Edited by ClydeE

Okay...this is the dumbest of the newbie questions, but I can't figure it out...

I want to set the database centerpoint to my home coordinates.

I tried going to tools>options>locations>

when I enter:

Home, 39.45.042, 122.10.982

"I get a message "invalid lat/lon for location: Home, 39.45.042, 122.10.982"

Thanks for your help!!

Ed

when I enter:

Home, 39.45.042, 122.10.982

"I get a message "invalid lat/lon for location: Home, 39.45.042, 122.10.982"

I think you should a space between the degree and minute part and also North and West

example

Fulda,N50 33.265, E09 41.122

so for your example you should use I think:

Home, N39 45.042, W122 10.982

when I enter:

Home, 39.45.042,  122.10.982

"I get a message "invalid lat/lon for location: Home, 39.45.042,  122.10.982"

I think you should a space between the degree and minute part and also North and West

example

Fulda,N50 33.265, E09 41.122

so for your example you should use I think:

Home, N39 45.042, W122 10.982

See...I knew it was somehting easy, but not obvious to me.

Thanks!!!!

Ed

Somebody ?????? wanted to run his macros on all of his databases. Here is a way to do it in the new bata gsak.

RUNPGM Pgm="cmd" parms=/C dir "C:\program files\gsak\data" /B /A:D > "C:\program files\gsak\macros\AllDBs.txt" wait=yes

SPEEDMODE Status=off

FILEREAD File="C:\program files\gsak\macros\AllDBs.txt"

IF .not. isempty($line)

DATABASE Name=$line action=SELECT

# PUT CODE OR SUB CALL HERE

GOTO Position=top

GOTO Position=bottom

ENDIF

ENDREAD

CANCEL

The GOTOs are just to show you it's doing something. Remove them.

Somebody ??????  wanted to run his macros on all of his databases. Here is a way to do it in the new bata gsak.

RUNPGM Pgm="cmd" parms=/C dir "C:\program files\gsak\data" /B /A:D > "C:\program files\gsak\macros\AllDBs.txt" wait=yes

Thanks for that.

However, If you are trying this code I will point out that the above line will not work on Windows 98/ME because the command processor is command.com and not cmd.exe as is for Windows XP and Windows 2000.

So if your operating system is Windows 98/ME replace CMD with command.com

Also, you may have changed your command processor to a custom one, so better still you should really interrogate the system environment variable %comspec% to find out what the current operating system command processor is and use that. So the "generic" code for any operating system would be:

$CommandProcessor = GetEnvV("ComSpec")
RUNPGM Pgm="$CommandProcessor" parms=/C dir "C:\program files\gsak\data" /B /A:D > "C:\program files\gsak\macros\AllDBs.txt" wait=yes

Edited by ClydeE

Tip: Finding cache clusters

GSAK has a report called "Cache Density" hidden in the bowels of the HTML Export.

Scenario:

You would like to do a days caching in a certain area and want to know the cache(s) that have the most caches close to them so you can start at that one and clean up the others.

You first set a filter on the caches/area you are interested in.

Now go to File>Export=>HTML

Select only the "Cache Density" summary and the distance you are prepared to travel from the "central" cache. So that the summary will automatically be displayed after you click on the generate button, also check the "Show HTML index box when finished" . You can ignore all the other settings as they have no effect on the "cache density"

cap47.png

Now click on the "Cache density" link:

cap48.png

You should then see your top 50 "suspects". The first cache being the most likely you want to start your caching day from:

cap49.png

Warning: The cache density report requires a lot of CPU cycles to calculate the distances for each cache to every other cache. Try to create a filter that limits your selection to less than 1000 caches or this report may take a while to generate

That's cool. I never mess around with any of the other export functions unless I'm testing something - I do everything with Cachemate and so forth. But that's very very useful.

Among my closest 300 unfound caches, there's one cache that has 66 within 3 miles of it. That's pretty amazing.

That's cool. I never mess around with any of the other export functions unless I'm testing something - I do everything with Cachemate and so forth. But that's very very useful.

Among my closest 300 unfound caches, there's one cache that has 66 within 3 miles of it. That's pretty amazing.

I should also point out that this report does not have to be run stand alone.

There is no problem in generating this report together with the other HTML reports when preparing for paperless caching.

I thought I would just throw it out there for users that have never used the HTML generation because perhaps they only use CacheMate for paperless caching.

Ok, I've checked the smart tags, the macros online, and all of this thread. After all that, I still have no answer for a small tweak to the creative waypoint options available when sending waypoints to the GPSr.

You can use %code, %drop2, and all manner of other things.

I'm currently using %typ1%con1%drop2 for my waypoint and it works great.

What I'd really like is to *append* 2 more characters.

The next character:

* for the last log being a *found it* log

? for the last log being a *did not find* log

The last character:

# representing total # of DNFs in all logs found (limited to max of 9)

So, for traditional cache GCxxxx, regular container, last log a DNF, and 3 DNFs and 2 founds, the waypoint would look like TRxxxx?3

The ? character would be any character that transmits well to the 60CS in my case.. YMMV.

Is there already something available and I simply haven't found it?

Thanks for a very useful package and the support!

huggy_d1

Ok, I've checked the smart tags, the macros online, and all of this thread. After all that, I still have no answer for a small tweak to the creative waypoint options available when sending waypoints to the GPSr.

You can use %code, %drop2, and all manner of other things.

I'm currently using %typ1%con1%drop2 for my waypoint and it works great.

The next character:

The last character:

So, for traditional cache GCxxxx, regular container, last log a DNF, and 3 DNFs and 2 founds, the waypoint would look like TRxxxx?3

The ? character would be any character that transmits well to the 60CS in my case.. YMMV.

Is there already something available and I simply haven't found it?

Thanks for a very useful package and the support!

huggy_d1

Database variables and special tags will probably in the future have the ability to interrogate logs.

However, currently in GSAK this feature does not exist.

The only work around you currently have is to use the log filter.

So I think you could in fact do what you are asking but the process would be somewhat convoluted. Basically you would need to have a log filter that matched each of your conditions and then set your waypoint code for each export to your GPSr accordingly, tying the whole process together with a macro.

The next character:

The last character:

You could do some, but not all, of what you want using the %macro and %last4 special tags. Something like:

$_Special = "%typ1%con1%drop2"
If Left("%last4",1) = "F"
  $_Special = $_Special + "*"
Else
  If Left("%last4",1) = "N"
     $_Special = $_Special + "?"
  EndIf
EndIf
# What if it's neither F or N?
$NumDNF = RegExCount("%last4", "N")
$_Special = $_Special + "$NumDNF"

Entirely untested, but it might give you a start.

Some quick testing later...

Yes, that works in principle. Just swap around the arguments in the RegExCount - I always get those the wrong way round.

The restriction is that you can only use the last four logs, not the last 9 as you want.

Clyde,

I had last used GSAK on an extended desktop (not the primary monitor). I subsequently disabled the extended desktop and undocked my laptop. When I restarted GSAK, it did not appear in the primary display, but appeared to think it should be on the other display still and hence wasn't visible. The task bar icon did not have the "move" option and I could think of no other way of getting the program moved back to the current display. In the end, I edited the .ini file to reduce the FormLeft value to a smaller number. Restarting GSAK, it then appeared in the primary display. Is it possible to check the display properties when starting up and override this setting if the value in the .ini file is completely off the screen? If I hadn't figured out this trick, I would have been out of business until I could return to the dual monitor setup.

Any thoughts?

-- Bruce

Edited by step2626
QUOTE (huggy_d1 @ Nov 30 2005, 12:55 PM)

The next character:

The last character:

You could do some, but not all, of what you want using the %macro and %last4 special tags. Something like:

$_Special = "%typ1%con1%drop2"
If Left("%last4",1) = "F"
 $_Special = $_Special + "*"
Else
 If Left("%last4",1) = "N"
    $_Special = $_Special + "?"
 EndIf
EndIf
# What if it's neither F or N?
$NumDNF = RegExCount("%last4", "N")
$_Special = $_Special + "$NumDNF"

Outstanding. I can't wait to use / customize it. Last 4 logs is plenty. I simply didn't want to go MORE than 9 since that would take 2 characters.

SHWEET!

I had last used GSAK on an extended desktop (not the primary monitor). I subsequently disabled the extended desktop and undocked my laptop. When I restarted GSAK, it did not appear in the primary display, but appeared to think it should be on the other display still and hence wasn't visible. The task bar icon did not have the "move" option and I could think of no other way of getting the program moved back to the current display. In the end, I edited the .ini file to reduce the FormLeft value to a smaller number. Restarting GSAK, it then appeared in the primary display. Is it possible to check the display properties when starting up and override this setting if the value in the .ini file is completely off the screen? If I hadn't figured out this trick, I would have been out of business until I could return to the dual monitor setup.

Not something that is likely to come up often, but I will add it to "the list"

Most common way is to sort on last update GPX date.

Any that have a date which is older than your PQ are usually because they have been archived.

For one discussion on this topic please see related posts starting here

Thanks. That is pretty much what I wound up doing. I was wondering if there was a better way.

I assume that there is no actualy direct interaction between GSAK and Groundspeak to get at any of the cache information. It only plugs the URL into the browser and lets it talk to the web site.

I was hoping for a function that could go to the web site and update the information for the current line in the list. Then I was hoping for a system variable that contained the date of the last GPX file. That way I could use a macro to set up a filter for anything less than the last GPX file date, and walk through the entries invoking the function to update that specific cache individually.

I realize that it would probably have to be some sort of "screen scraping" to dig out the information, and that puts you at the mercy of the unannounced updates to the web site that will break everything. So I figure I don't have much hope for that one.

I was thinking of different ways that this might be done. One would be to export a list of caches less than the last GPX file date. But then there isn't a way to read it back in and update the status through the macro. It looks like the file input functions are only to open files in the same manner/format as using the File Menu itself.

The other thought was to call a COM object that would return the status. But it looks like all you can do is run a whole program, and I don't think that is going to help.

The only other alternative I can see that doesn't involve you changing something is to export the entries with the "old" GPX file date (again that system variable would be handy here) in GPX format. Run a program that will process that file and set the status in the GPX file to reflect the true status, then import that GPX file back in.

Any thoughts on any of this? :(