Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

In the macro language, is there a way to convert numbers to strings?  I can use the Val function to convert a string to a number, but I can't figure out how to go the other way!

Thanks!

I'm not expert in GSAK macros, but perhaps the Quote function (would enclose a number in double quotes, which is how the Macro language identifies strings). From the GSAK help file on Marco Expression Functions, I'm guessing the syntax would be something like:

set $_txt1 = Quote(Var Name)

Yep, that will do it, as will:

aNumber = 25

aString = "aNumber"

:lol: Who knew it would be so easy! I was so intent on looking for a function that I missed that possibility.

Thanks!

Is there a way to create a completely new waypoint number within GSAK?

I understand there's Smartname, but I like having the size, type, and difficulties in the waypoint name. (Many thanks, BTW, for the alpha-numerical single character ratings, it works very well.) If I wanted to include a hand-entered waypoint from another site or private listing, sometimes there might be waypoint number collision.

Is there a way to assign my own waypoint numbers to prevent this? I can reinsert the original waypoint into the comment, I figure, to preserve that.

Note: this would be helpful for GPS owners with units that only have 6 digits and when the GCxxxx number rolls over to 5 digits.

Even if you used only the 31 character scheme that's 961 caches with using just two digits. Owners of 6 digit units could take batter advantage of the other variables.

When the GC number finally do roll over, it would push one variable out of the waypoint for us users of 8 digit units. Yes, I do understand this a long ways away. Just adding this in to make my case.

Thanks!

Is there a way to create a completely new waypoint number within GSAK?

I understand there's Smartname, but I like having the size, type, and difficulties in the waypoint name. (Many thanks, BTW, for the alpha-numerical single character ratings, it works very well.) If I wanted to include a hand-entered waypoint from another site or private listing, sometimes there might be waypoint number collision.

Is there a way to assign my own waypoint numbers to prevent this? I can reinsert the original waypoint into the comment, I figure, to preserve that.

Note: this would be helpful for GPS owners with units that only have 6 digits and when the GCxxxx number rolls over to 5 digits.

Even if you used only the 31 character scheme that's 961 caches with using just two digits. Owners of 6 digit units could take batter advantage of the other variables.

When the GC number finally do roll over, it would push one variable out of the waypoint for us users of 8 digit units. Yes, I do understand this a long ways away. Just adding this in to make my case.

Thanks!

I am a little confused about your question with regard to waypoint code and waypoint name.

Anyway, I will answer with the following:

There is no "automatic" allocation of a waypoint code in GSAK.

GSAK makes sure that when you add a code it must be unique (it will not let you have two waypoints with the same code)

GSAK smart names make sure the generated smart name will be unique and you can generate smart names down to a minimum length of 5 characters.

GSAK makes sure that when you add a code it must be unique (it will not let you have two waypoints with the same code)

Okay, say I wanted to place some private caches and start with SNCR01. This could be for whatever reason, maybe I want to place some event temporary caches and distribute the file to others for ease of use.

The "SNCR" is really unnecessary to the end user. All one really cares about is being able to find the corrosponding waypoint in your PDA and then again to log the cache. However, once you get to the first GC number in your database, the prefix doesn't do much. But in my case at 20 we have our first collision. I'd have a SNCR20 and a GC20. Not too much of a problem if you keep the prefixes, but if you want to strip the prefix to add size, type, and the ratings, you have a collision.

There's not much you can use to make a short prefix to use the functionality that is already there. You can only use the illegal characters I, O, etc. to ensure there is no collision. (Well, okay, you can use any combination of 0...9,a...f for the first place and anything over f for the second, third, and forth places. That's 54K of waypoints, but then you might have collision with other folks doing the same thing. Would GSAK even handle those waypoints?)

I was thinking if there wasn't already a way to do it and it would be worth your time, a simple re-ordering of the offline database with a "GSAK waypoint number" and this would include all of the waypoints whether it be GC.com cache, benchmark, private or unlisted event caches, or whatever.

I'm having a problem trying to create a macro.

Currently my macro has the following which ask the user to enter a Database name. This works fine.

== User Inputs Database Name =========================

# Select Database

INPUT Msg="Enter the Database name that you want the PQ imported into." Default="Home" VarName=$Database

If DatabaseExists($Database)

Database name=$Database Action=select

Else

Database name=$Database Action=create

EndIf

==============================================

The problem I am having is with the macro snip below...

I am using the coord grabfunction to find any parking coords and then put it into a seperate database. In the macro snip below I am attempting to populate an existing Parking Database, or if the Database doesn't exist then create it and populate it..... But when I run this macro GSAK returns an error that says

Error in Macro line 101

Database Name=$Database_Parking

Error=> Database does not exist Home_Parking

== Select Parking Database ============================

If DatabaseExists($Database_Parking)

Database name=$Database_Parking Action=select

Else

Database name=$Database_Parking Action=create

EndIf

I'm having a problem trying to create a macro.

Currently my macro has the following which ask the user to enter a Database name. This works fine.

== User Inputs Database Name =========================

# Select Database

INPUT Msg="Enter the Database name that you want the PQ imported into." Default="Home" VarName=$Database

If DatabaseExists($Database)

Database name=$Database Action=select

Else

Database name=$Database Action=create

EndIf

The problem I am having is with the macro snip below...

I am using the coord grabfunction to find any parking coords and then put it into a seperate database. In the macro snip below I am attempting to populate an existing Parking Database, or if the Database doesn't exist then create it and populate it..... But when I run this macro GSAK returns an error that says

Error in Macro line 101

Error=> Database does not exist Home_Parking

== Select Parking Database ============================

Else

EndIf

It looks like the problem is in the line right before the IF:

That attempts to select the database before determining if it's there (default Action if not specified is Select). Delete this line and it should work.

HTH!

I am still having problems sending waypoints to my GPS. I can receive waypoints from my GPS into GSAK, but anytime I try to send them, GSAK freezes up. I can't even get to the send to GPS dialogue box. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting the computer. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks!

Steve

I am still having problems sending waypoints to my GPS. I can receive waypoints from my GPS into GSAK, but anytime I try to send them, GSAK freezes up. I can't even get to the send to GPS dialogue box. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting the computer. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

What make and model is your GPSr?

It is very rare that you can receive waypoints yet not send them. The only other time a user reported this problem it was traced to a faulty cable.

Can you send waypoints using other software, EasyGPS for example?

We might be able to get a bit more information on what the issue is by turning on debug. Go to Tools=>Options=>Advanced and tick the "Debug Mode" box.

Also when you send waypoints to your GPSr there is another box that says "Turn on debug mode" - tick that one as well.

Tried that and GSAK responds with an error message of;

Error in Macro line 100

Error=> Invalid expression in Macro

$Database_Parking is a variable, and I don't see anywhere in your macro where you are allocating this variable a value. I would expect either of the following to work:

If DatabaseExists("Database_Parking")

Or

$Database_Parking = "Database_Parking"

But by itself:

Would mean the variable is undeclared and I would expect you to get an error message.

Hi Clyde,

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure if the problem is with v6.5 I just downloaded some waypoints from GSAK to my Garmin Etrex LegendC. No problem with the transfer. The only thing is that whatever information shows on the GPS when I look at the waypoint description, some letters are replaced by the $ sign. These letters are as far as I can see, the french letters like ï à è é I don't recall seeing this before v6.5 but I could be wrong. The same thing happens when I export waypoints from GSAK to Mapsource.

Thanks

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure if the problem is with v6.5 I just downloaded some waypoints from GSAK to my Garmin Etrex LegendC. No problem with the transfer. The only thing is that whatever information shows on the GPS when I look at the waypoint description, some letters are replaced by the $ sign. These letters are as far as I can see, the french letters like ï à è é I don't recall seeing this before v6.5 but I could be wrong. The same thing happens when I export waypoints from GSAK to Mapsource.

I suspect this is a 6.5 issue, or more correctly a GPSBabel issue (which actually does both these "under the covers")

GSAK 6.5 includes the latest version of GPSBabel and I recall it having some changes in this area as opposed to the one shipped with 6.0.2

I will see if we can get any comment from Robert Lipe on this one.

Thank did it. Thanks,

Now I have another question. Is the any way to pass the Database name to a filter? Below is the entire Coord Grab portion of my macro. Everything seems to work until I get to the Move Parking Waypoints To Parking Database.

=============================================

# Select Parking Database

$Database_Parking = $Database+"_Parking"

Else

EndIf

# Delete Waypoints In Parking Database

ShowStatus msg="Deleting All Waypoints From Selected Database"

Database Name="Parking" Action=Select

USERFLAG type=set range=All

Delete Settings="Delete Parking Waypoints"

# Grab Packing Waypoints

ShowStatus msg="Creating Parking Waypoints"

Database Name=$Database Action=Select

USERFLAG type=clear range=all

GRAB Settings="Parking"

# Move Parking Waypoints To Parking Database

ShowStatus msg="Moving Parking Waypoints To Parking Database"

Database Name=$Database_Parking Action=Select

Filter Name="Parking Waypoints"

IF $_FilterCount > 0

MoveCopy Settings="Move Parking"

ENDIF

USERFLAG type=clear range=all

VIEW Name="Parking"

The problem is with the Database name entered into the MoveCopy Settings.

Thank did it. Thanks,

Now I have another question. Is the any way to pass the Database name to a filter? Below is the entire Coord Grab portion of my macro. Everything seems to work until I get to the Move Parking Waypoints To Parking Database.

<snip>

A bit more complicated but yes you can do this via the MacroSet command

<data> VarName=$MoveCopy
[TfmMove]
rbtAdd.Checked=True
rbtAddFlag.Checked=False
rbtAddIgnore.Checked=False
rbtCopy.Checked=True
rbtExistIgnore.Checked=False
rbtFlagOnly.Checked=False
rbtMove.Checked=False
rbtReplace.Checked=True
rbtReplaceFlag.Checked=False
chkDisplay.Checked=False
<enddata>

$copy = $MoveCopy + $_NewLine +  "cbxDestination.Text=" + $Database_Parking 
MacroSet Dialog=MovCopy VarName=$copy
MoveCopy Settings=<macro>

See the MacroSet command in the help file for more information

Edited by ClydeE
I am still having problems sending waypoints to my GPS.  I can receive waypoints from my GPS into GSAK, but anytime I try to send them, GSAK freezes up.  I can't even get to the send to GPS dialogue box.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting the computer.  Any ideas on what the problem could be?

It is very rare that you can receive waypoints yet not send them. The only other time a user reported this problem it was traced to a faulty cable.

We might be able to get a bit more information on what the issue is by turning on debug. Go to Tools=>Options=>Advanced and tick the "Debug Mode" box.

Also when you send waypoints to your GPSr there is another box that says "Turn on debug mode" - tick that one as well.

I turned on the debug mode. I can send waypoints to my GPS using EasyGPS. When I choose send waypoints under the GPS heading, I'm not even getting the Send Waypoints to the GPS dialogue box. The program just freezes and I get a not responding in the title bar at the top of the screen.

So, I'm totally stumped at what it could be.

Edited to include that I'm using a Magellan SportTrek Map

Edited by JavaDuck
I am still having problems sending waypoints to my GPS.  I can receive waypoints from my GPS into GSAK, but anytime I try to send them, GSAK freezes up.  I can't even get to the send to GPS dialogue box.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting the computer.  Any ideas on what the problem could be?

I turned on the debug mode. I can send waypoints to my GPS using EasyGPS. When I choose send waypoints under the GPS heading, I'm not even getting the Send Waypoints to the GPS dialogue box. The program just freezes and I get a not responding in the title bar at the top of the screen.

So, I'm totally stumped at what it could be.

Edited to include that I'm using a Magellan SportTrek Map

Ok, I will email you offline to see if we can try a few other thing to track this one down.

In the waypoint name of a GPX export I have

%macro="C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\ConvertCode.txt" %smart

This works fine, and produces a result like

9680-LV SkateParks

If I change the smartname to shortname, as in

%macro="C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\ConvertCode.txt" %shortname

then the resulting waypoint name is

%macro="C:\Program Files\

Is this is a bug, or am I misunderstanding something? This is 6.0.2 build 24. I haven't tried it on 6.5.

The ConvertCode macro says:

$Source = $d_Source

IF $Source = "GC"

$_Special = "%drop2" + "-" + "%typ1" + "%con1"

ELSE

IF $Source = "GS" .OR. $Source = "GW"

$_Special = "%drop2"

ELSE

$_Special = "%code"

ENDIF

ENDIF

On a similar topic, what does %smartname=nn actually do? I'd hoped that it would enable an export-specific recalculation of the smartname based on the specified length. But instead it just changes the value of the smartname for the whole database, as if it had been changed in the options dialog. And it does actually store the %smartname=nn value in the options, so all databases then acquire the new value.

In the waypoint name of a GPX export I have

%macro="C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\ConvertCode.txt" %smart

This works fine, and produces a result like

9680-LV SkateParks

If I change the smartname to shortname, as in

%macro="C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\ConvertCode.txt" %shortname

then the resulting waypoint name is

%macro="C:\Program Files\

Is this is a bug, or am I misunderstanding something? This is 6.0.2 build 24. I haven't tried it on 6.5.

The ConvertCode macro says:

$Source = $d_Source

IF $Source = "GC"

$_Special = "%drop2" + "-" + "%typ1" + "%con1"

ELSE

IF $Source = "GS" .OR. $Source = "GW"

$_Special = "%drop2"

ELSE

$_Special = "%code"

ENDIF

ENDIF

On a similar topic, what does %smartname=nn actually do? I'd hoped that it would enable an export-specific recalculation of the smartname based on the specified length. But instead it just changes the value of the smartname for the whole database, as if it had been changed in the options dialog. And it does actually store the %smartname=nn value in the options, so all databases then acquire the new value.

1. It looks like a bug, or a problem with the characters in %ShortName. However when using the %macro tag it was designed (and I suggest) to be the the only tag used. As this tag is actually a macro you can include any other special tags you want to use in the code. So for this example all you would need to do is add the following to the end of your macro.

$_Special = $_Special + " %ShortName"

2. Smart name length is currently a global setting (On the "list" is adding database "properties" of which smart name length will one of them). The %smart=nn is just a way of enabling you to dynamically alter the length of the smart name without having to go through the GUI via Tools=>Options=>General

So for this example all you would need to do is add the following to the end of your macro.

$_Special = $_Special + " %ShortName"

Thanks. Yes, I could do that, but it would disable the modularity of the code. I'd then need a separate macro to do each of e.g.

%macro=ConvertCode %smart

%macro=ConvertCode %shortname

%macro=ConvertCode %name

etc, though the ConvertCode bit would be the same everywhere.

Not to worry, I can work round it. If it is a bug perhaps you could have a look when you have time. It seems odd that it works with %smart but not %shortname.

2. Smart name length is currently a global setting (On the "list" is adding database "properties" of which smart name length will one of them). The %smart=nn is just a way of enabling you to dynamically alter the length of the smart name without having to go through the GUI via Tools=>Options=>General

Thanks. As well as it being global or database-specific, I'd like $smart=nn to recalculate on the fly without affecting the other two settings and without the database being updated.

The reason for this is because I export to a number of different programs, each of which have their own optimal lengths for waypoint name. I'd like to be able to maximise the length for each export.

Thus for program A the best option might be %smart=10, for program B %smart=20, C %smart=15. To do this currently I'd have to change the length each time and live with the frequent database updates.

A nice to have, but I'd appreciate it being somewhere on "the list" :lol:

First time I've tried MACROSET, so I must be doing something wrong. This runs without error, but no file results.

MACROSET Dialog=Fugawi VarName=$Fugawi

<data> VarName=$Fugawi

[TfmFugawi]

edtFormat.Text=%name

edtProblem.Text=

fnmTo.Text=C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\My Documents\Geocaching\fugawi.txt

edtWaypoint.Text=%macro="C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\ConvertCode.txt"

edtMaxGps.Text=10

<enddata>

Help appreciated.

First time I've tried MACROSET, so I must be doing something wrong. This runs without error, but no file results.

<data> VarName=$Fugawi

[TfmFugawi]

edtFormat.Text=%name

edtProblem.Text=

edtMaxGps.Text=10

<enddata>

Help appreciated.

I don't see the export command in your snipped of code.

As per the help file, the Macro set command only updates the "settings". You must then use those settings with the corresponding command. In your example the command to follow would be:

EXPORT Type=FUG Settings=<macro>

EXPORT Type=FUG Settings=<macro>

<data> VarName=$Fugawi

[TfmFugawi]

edtFormat.Text=%name

edtProblem.Text=

edtMaxGps.Text=10

<enddata>

A supplementary question.

For this macro to be portable the fnmTo.Text has to be a variable, preferably using %USERPROFILE%. I can't get this to work.

I've tried this

$FnmTo=GetEnvV("USERPROFILE") + "\My Documents\Geocaching\fugawi.txt"

fnmTo.Text=$FnmTo

and this

fnmTo.Text=%macro="C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\x.txt"

where x.txt contains

$_Special=GetEnvV("USERPROFILE") + "\My Documents\Geocaching\fugawi.txt"

These both return "You can't create a file here..."

Any ideas?

For this macro to be portable the fnmTo.Text has to be a variable, preferably using %USERPROFILE%. I can't get this to work.

Got it now. Remove the filename from the settings and use the File=

$FnmTo=GetEnvV("USERPROFILE") + "\My Documents\Geocaching\fugawi.txt"

EXPORT Type=FUG Settings=<macro> File=$FnmTo

<data> VarName=$Fugawi

[TfmFugawi]

edtFormat.Text=%name

edtProblem.Text=

fnmTo.Text=

edtMaxGps.Text=10

<enddata>

Good stuff, this macro language :lol:

Daft question from a newbie. ;)

I'm using GSAK to manage my caches and using Memory Map to navigate with.

Have MM on the laptop and Pocket Navigator on my PDA.

Can see how to export to csv files for Mem Map, but I can't get Pocket Nav to overlay the csv files. So I'm loading the csv files onto MM on the laptop and then converting, one at a time, to MMO files before transfering to the PDA.

Is this right ? Or is there a much better way of doing it ? :D

Sorry for the ignorance here !! :lol:

I found a realy good site about how work with GSAK and AutoRoute.

http://www.craiggiven.com/gc_pushpins.htm

It works well but the problem is that the program expects a comma as seperator. In the moment GSAK uses a TAB. Can I change that? I already change in to USA notation in the configurationscreen of Windows.

File>Export>CSV or Text. In the export dialog, choose file type CSV (i.e. comma separated value). If running from a macro, specify the file type.

Thanks but i already discoverd that. But i wanted to use the macro's from the site i have given. The help tekst from GSAK says:

Use this dialog box to create a PSP waypoint file in a format suitable for the Microsoft Streets and Trips application. The Streets and Trips CSV file is a plain text file in which each line represents a waypoint description consisting of a comma-separated list of values.

White the export in SnT format i get a TAB. I hoped that it would be possible to change the sepperator somewhere in GSAK.

Thanks but i already discoverd that. But i wanted to use the macro's  from the site i have given. The help tekst from GSAK says:

Use this dialog box to create a PSP waypoint file in a format suitable for the Microsoft Streets and Trips application.  The Streets and Trips CSV file is a plain text file in which each line represents a waypoint description consisting of a comma-separated list of values.

White the export in SnT format i get a TAB. I hoped that it would be possible to change the separator somewhere in GSAK.

The S&T file is generated by GPSBabel "Under the covers". There were issues with the comma being used as the separator and countries that use a comma for the decimal point, so GPSBabel now defaults to generating a tab delimited file for the SnT format (I will update the help file to reflect this)

However, Streets and Trips should be able to read the tab separated file just fine.

If you really need the comma you could set up a custom csv file export, or just do a global replace on the generated file (tab=>comma)

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde, a couple of days ago you created an excellent macro for adding waypoints in a filter into a bookmark list. Is it possible to do the same thing for adding to the watchlist?

I have my doubts, as the url isn't quite so specific, and there's no 'confirmation' page, but the url after a cache is added does appear to contain some kind of unique number. [w=.....]

any chance?

Thanks

Dave

This is probably already in this thread somewhere, if so please direct me there.

I noticed a week or two ago I had duplicate entries some caches, the only difference was the 'code' name, most had the standard GCXXXX name, a few had composite names built out of the waypoint name. After a little experimenting I think what happened is that inadverntly loaded a file to GSAK after it had been run threw spinner.

My question is,

Is there a way to get rid of bunch of waypoints that don't have a standard naming sequence? (seperate the GC ones from duplicates)

I don't care if they're deleted, or just moved to a seperate 'subset' database.

thanks for any help

welch

Clyde, a couple of days ago you created an excellent macro for adding waypoints in a filter into a bookmark list. Is it possible to do the same thing for adding to the watchlist?

I have my doubts, as the url isn't quite so specific, and there's no 'confirmation' page, but the url after a cache is added does appear to contain some kind of unique number. [w=.....]

Actually, GSAK has this code built in when you tick the watch box.

If your grid is not already displaying the watch column add it to your display (Tools=>Otions=>Display)

Now just click your mouse in the box and it will set the watch flag on in GSAK and automatically call up the URL at gc.com to add this cache to your watch list.

Conversely, if you uncheck the box it will call up the URL to remove the cache from your watch list. However, please note that removing caches from your watch list does require confirmation (by the Groundspeak website) where as adding them does not.

This is probably already in this thread somewhere, if so please direct me there.

I noticed a week or two ago I had duplicate entries some caches, the only difference was the 'code' name, most had the standard GCXXXX name, a few had composite names built out of the waypoint name. After a little experimenting I think what happened is that inadverntly loaded a file to GSAK after it had been run threw spinner.

My question is,

Is there a way to get rid of bunch of waypoints that don't have a standard naming sequence? (seperate the GC ones from duplicates)

I don't care if they're deleted, or just moved to a seperate 'subset' database.

thanks for any help

welch

Is there something common with all these waypoints?

On the surface it would seem that all you need to do is set a filter on all waypoints that do not have the code beginning with GC. However, I will caution you on this as you may have user added waypoints that also do not begin with GC.

To set a filter on all waypoints that do not have the code beginning with GC

First go to the other Tab and select all waypoints starting with GC:

cap40.png

But we actually want all waypoints not starting with GC so we need to reverse this filter. Now go to the general tab and reverse the filter

cap41.png

Now you can just do a delete, selecting to delete the filter of waypoints.

cap39.png

Edited by ClydeE
Is there something common with all these waypoints?

Mostly that they were last seen 11/11 (and my unfounds with X miles or something, not exactly sure yet).

But I think I can find them all in a couple smaller batchs and delete them. It took a couple minutes to figure out where the delete was, but that should work. I came to say thanks and find you've added another way too. lol

On the surface it would seam that all you need to do is set a filter on all waypoints that do not have the code beginning with GC. However, I will caution you on this as you may have user added waypoints that also do not begin with GC.

Yea I realize that (thanks for the reminder though) and no i don't have any needed ones in there. If its important i have have a seperate loc file or its written down somewhere.

edit:

Ok ran the reverse gc filter and it found the rest of them and deleted them. Yea!!

thanks ClydeE :rolleyes:

Edited by welch
I need a registation code. I paid paypal $20 - 11/23/05.

Best to email me directly about such issues.

Registration details are sent to you at the time of payment, but sometimes they get "eaten" by spam checkers or fall into a black hole.

I will send again now, so please set me know (via private email) that you get it - or not.

I have a suggestion for an additional feature to the HTML export. I would like to see the option to use the GCxxxx code as the filename for the html file (i.e. GCxxxx.htm) rather than the sequential numbers.

This would open up new opportunities for reusing the htm files. In particular, one would not be totally dependant on the index.htm file. If one encounters issues with one particular cache htm file, then one could manually intervene more easily. Also, this is useful on older PocketPCs where it can be much faster to find GCxxxx.htm in the folder listing than in the index.htm file, because if that file is large, it can take a minute or so to load. Also, I use smart codes, so my index file is not sorted by GCcode; yet when I cache with others we need communicate about the caches with the GCcode. One could also retain older htm files from previous html exports and have them be somewhat useful, rather than totally useless. ... basically I see several uses that are compelling to me.

Help Please....

I can not view a push pin set on my mapset in my PPC. Renegade Knight tried to help but I could not get it to work.

I have Pocket Streets and trips 2006 in my Axim X51V.

1. In street & trips I create a map set to export to ppc, put into ppc in documents folder ( no problem)

2. in gsak, using a gpx file I click, file/export/pocket streets psp file.

On my desktop I drag the push pin file into explorer and it goes to the documents folder with my mapset.

3. I have the map set and push pin file in my documents folder named the same in the ppc.

I can open the map set but there is no push pins. If I click on the push pin file the mapset opens with no push pins.

I can see the two files with different sizes in my documents folder in the ppc.

I need step by step insructions, I think I'm missing something easy but I'm new at this ppc stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Ken

I have a suggestion for an additional feature to the HTML export. I would like to see the option to use the GCxxxx code as the filename for the html file (i.e. GCxxxx.htm) rather than the sequential numbers.

This would open up new opportunities for reusing the htm files. In particular, one would not be totally dependant on the index.htm file. If one encounters issues with one particular cache htm file, then one could manually intervene more easily. Also, this is useful on older PocketPCs where it can be much faster to find GCxxxx.htm in the folder listing than in the index.htm file, because if that file is large, it can take a minute or so to load. Also, I use smart codes, so my index file is not sorted by GCcode; yet when I cache with others we need communicate about the caches with the GCcode. One could also retain older htm files from previous html exports and have them be somewhat useful, rather than totally useless. ... basically I see several uses that are compelling to me.

GSAK used to work the way you're suggesting, but there were problems. Please see this post and this post for the reasons why Clyde changed things.

Help Please....

I can not view a push pin set on my mapset in my PPC. Renegade Knight tried to help but I could not get it to work.

1. In street & trips I create a map set to export to ppc, put into ppc in documents folder ( no problem)

On my desktop I drag the push pin file into explorer and it goes to the documents folder with my mapset.

3. I have the map set and push pin file in my documents folder named the same in the ppc.

I can open the map set but there is no push pins. If I click on the push pin file the mapset opens with no push pins.

I need  step by step insructions, I think I'm missing something easy but I'm new at this ppc stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Ken

I'm not a PPC user, but I found this post by searching the "GPS Units and Software" forum for "PSP File" (the search brought up a number of other posts on the topic, the one above being the most recent). Hope this helps!

Help Please....

I need step by step insructions, I think I'm missing something easy but I'm new at this ppc stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Ken

Make sure the map and the pushpins have the same name. I also have noticed that if the pushpins are outside the limits of my map that the map will not load.

The other way would be to export your gpx files as csv files and import them into you map program then export a map to Pocket Streets

OK,

I got my push pins on my map!

When I create a map for export in streets and trips it creates a .gdb file.

I changed the name of the gsak push pin file to add .gdb to the end of the name and it puts the pins on the map when I open it in my ppc.???

I don't know anything about this stuff but this worked for me. :P

Thanks for the help!

Ken

(one confused ppc user!)

I just got a new laptop, (Go Christmas specials) And am looking for a way to basically mirror GSAK onto this machine. Is there a way to export the settings and all the filters, macros, and such?

Yes :P

Assuming you have installed GSAK on your Laptop:

1. File=>Backup on your desktop computer, and make sure to select all databases and check the settings box.

cap43.png

2. File=>Restore on your laptop computer, using the file generated in step 1 (also check to restore settings)

This will now give you an exact replica of your copy of GSAK on you laptop as is on your desktop.

Edited by ClydeE