Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

When using the file/export/MemoryMap command in GSAK v6 there is the option to change the icons for different status caches. But the only options available are the standard MM default icons. I use customised icons in MM, so is there any way I can persuade GSAK to recognise these and select them during the export process? Thanks

When using the file/export/MemoryMap command in GSAK v6 there is the option to change the icons for different status caches. But the only options available are the standard MM default icons. I use customised icons in MM, so is there any way I can persuade GSAK to recognise these and select them during the export process? Thanks

Yes, the procedure to use custom icons is described in the help file

Click on help when you bring up the Memory Map export dialog or view online here http://gsak.net/help/hs36000.htm

extremely so -

while I agree with his principal I'm not sure I'd want to pay too much more - that was what made it so attractive in the first place - but on a different tack - maybe a 'basic version' with plug ins for some of the neat new features as an incentive to purchase these features.

cc\

I am not suggesting Clyde charge hundreds of dollars - but I believe he is entitled to fees etc from time to time - it is not reasonable for us as consumers - to buy something (GSAK) for $20 or whatever and then expect upgrades and service for years to come.

There has to be a way it can be done - and you have come up with one approach - maybe other people will jump in and speak their piece and contribute (money?)

heck - as great as this program is, and if Clyde likes the $20 figure - I'm all for it too -

will likely take some flack for this one -

$20 and $10 a year after that? I'd go for that - I couldn't cache without it now. I spend more for swag in a month than that - and a lot more in gas - especially lately.

great program and great service -

and I agree - all that forever for $20?

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
Is there a way to get the links (URL to the gc.com cache page) added to Mapsource export? The waypoint properties window in the Mapsource program, obtained when you right-click a geocache, has a box for that information but it is blank.

Use gpx or gdb and not mps to get linky links in mapsource. mps doesn't have a place for linky links.

I am not suggesting Clyde charge hundreds of dollars - but I believe he is entitled to fees etc from time to time - it is not reasonable for us as consumers - to buy something (GSAK) for $20 or whatever and then expect upgrades and service for years to come.

There has to be a way it can be done - and you have come up with one approach - maybe other people will jump in and speak their piece and contribute (money?)

Don't forget: Just because the price for this product is set at a certain level, you're not limited to only pay that amount. If a new feature appears that was high on your wish list, or Clyde was especially helpful with a particular problem, you certainly have the option to express your thanks to him in a monetary way. While he doesn't require this, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Also, if you've locked in your registration at the $20 price, and the price does go up (for whatever reason), make up the difference.

This is truly an example of the capitalist model at work: Give people a great product with excellent service and a reasonable price, and they will beat a path to your door!

Clyde, thanks for all you do and keep up the GREAT work!

I've been using GSAK since mid this year and i love it!

I am starting to look at converting over to a Mac in the near future, but the only program that i use that isn't compatible or replaceable is GSAK.

Is Mac compatibility on the cards for GSAK? Or will i need to go down the Virtual PC road.

Thanks

I've been using GSAK since mid this year and i love it!

I am starting to look at converting over to a Mac in the near future, but the only program that i use that isn't compatible or replaceable is GSAK.

Is Mac compatibility on the cards for GSAK? Or will i need to go down the Virtual PC road.

To say this is "on the list" would surely be faking it - so in a one word answer NO :santa:

The only issue (I am aware of) users have report with running GSAK under virtual PC on the MAC is trying to talk to a Garmin USB enabled GPSr - and I believe this has more to do with Garmin's errant implementation of the USB protocol rather than anything else.

I had quit geocaching for about 4 months and am getting back into it but can't remember how to use my gsak. I have a database and I am trying to export it to cachemate and I don't remember how. I hit export to cachemate but the box that reads PDB File to create is blank and I don't know what to put in it.

I had quit geocaching for about 4 months and am getting back into it but can't remember how to use my gsak. I have a database and I am trying to export it to cachemate and I don't remember how. I hit export to cachemate but the box that reads PDB File to create is blank and I don't know what to put in it.

anythingyouwant.pdb (I think GSAK will even tack on the pdb for you). You can specify a path to anywhere you like as well; I just use a temp folder.

The pdb file *should* be picked up as a palm file and automatically added to quickinstall; I have to then specify that I want the pdb file on my SD card and not internal memory. Cachemate scans the card on startup, sees the pdb file, and offers to load it.

(welcome back)

I'm sure you've seen this one before.

Been out caching, updated Groundspeak, ran a new pq, which shows on Groundspeak that I've found or placed caches, but when I download it into gsak, it doesn't show all of the caches I've found (it'll show the cache, but not that I've found it), nor does it show my own cache. (It'll show the cache I've placed but won't show it as mine.)

I just checked one of the caches that show it as not being found &, even tho it's a new pq, it shows the last update of the offline database was the 20th. So why wasn't that updated with the new pq?

Another item:

I can get the data into my palm E2, do the logging on the palm, but how do I get the data from the palm to Groundspeak (with using gsak or going direct)? It seems others I've talked to have this same problem. There is some software that supposedly will transfer the data but they haven't been able to get it to work, either.

Edited by HelBob Duo

I've been using GSAK about six months now and love it.

I have a question that I haven't been able find.

I saw on previous post that if I do not update the logs often then the cache statis would not download. (limit of 5 logs?) I have changed the statis of these caches manualy to found, but when I do this, the found by me date is left blank.

How do I manualy add the 'found by me' date to the cache?

Thanks

Been out caching, updated Groundspeak, ran a new pq, which shows on Groundspeak that I've found or placed caches, but when I download it into gsak, it doesn't show all of the caches I've found

If none of your finds show automatically, then it's your identification of "yourself" in GSAK that doesn't match the PQ.

If some of them show as found but not all of them, then it is most likely the delay in incorporating logs into the PQs. There is somewhat of a delay (more than a minute, less than an hour?) for new logs to appear in the PQ. When I enter all my logs, if I ask for a "found" PQ immediately, I'm likely not to have the last cache show up as found in GSAK. If I wait a little while, I'm OK.

Been out caching, updated Groundspeak, ran a new pq, which shows on Groundspeak that I've found or placed caches, but when I download it into gsak, it doesn't show all of the caches I've found

If none of your finds show automatically, then it's your identification of "yourself" in GSAK that doesn't match the PQ.

If some of them show as found but not all of them, then it is most likely the delay in incorporating logs into the PQs. There is somewhat of a delay (more than a minute, less than an hour?) for new logs to appear in the PQ. When I enter all my logs, if I ask for a "found" PQ immediately, I'm likely not to have the last cache show up as found in GSAK. If I wait a little while, I'm OK.

That's not the problem in this case. My cache has been on-line for several days & has been found by quite a few people but it still doesn't list the cache in green, as being mine. Even tho it has my name as the owner. Also, I did my logs last night & the pq's today, but it's still missing a lot of my logs. Not all of them, mind you, but a lot. The "offline database" hasn't been updated with the last pq.

That's another thing that's weird. It claims to be offline, but you have to be on the internet to read it. What's up with that?

I just did a "Global replace" on a number of waypoints which I'd uploaded. They were all intermediate WPs on a cache which I did today.

I wanted to give them all the same waypoint name (not code), with the idea of then editing them and just changing the last one or two characters to say "<cache name> intermediate point 01", etc. I was planning to use the Paste buffer each time to paste a code and change the last one or two digits there too.

However, I was slightly surprised not to be able to find the option "Waypoint name" in the "Global replace" dialogu dropdown list. Granted, it's not everyone who will want this, but if the database allows "Waypoint name" to be non-unique, it would seem logical to allow the user - at their own risk! - to set it to the same value for several caches.

Can this be added, or is there a theoretical reason why it's a bad idea ?

Thanks

Nick

That's not the problem in this case. My cache has been on-line for several days & has been found by quite a few people but it still doesn't list the cache in green, as being mine. Even tho it has my name as the owner. Also, I did my logs last night & the pq's today, but it's still missing a lot of my logs. Not all of them, mind you, but a lot. The "offline database" hasn't been updated with the last pq.

That's another thing that's weird. It claims to be offline, but you have to be on the internet to read it. What's up with that?

From your description, this one definitely sounds like an "identification" problem.

In order for GSAK to recognize you as the cache hider you must tell GSAK correctly how to identify yourself. This identification is also used to automatically update the "found by me" date when you load a PQ so it is worth getting it right.

Go to Tools=>Options=>General and fill out your "Method for matching hidden (placed) and found caches"

I've been using GSAK about six months now and love it.

I have a question that I haven't been able find.

I saw on previous post that if I do not update the logs often then the cache statis would not download. (limit of 5 logs?) I have changed the statis of these caches manualy to found, but when I do this, the found by me date is left blank.

How do I manualy add the 'found by me' date to the cache?

Thanks

You can update the found by me date manually via the edit waypoint dialog. However, you are a premium member, so as long as you are getting gpx files from Groundspeak, your "found by me" date should automatically be updated. The last 5 logs issue does not apply to the "found by me" date because you always get your own logs in a GPX file no matter how many there are or how far back they go.

In summary, the "found by me" date will automatically be updated if:

1. Your GSAK database is being updated with GPX files from gc.com (not loc files)

2. You tell GSAK correctly how to match your found logs.

To get item 2 correct make sure you have the "method for matching hidden

and found" caches filled out correctly (Tools=>Options=>General). For

more information see the help file or view this section online here

http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

Edited by ClydeE
I just did a "Global replace" on a number of waypoints which I'd uploaded. They were all intermediate WPs on a cache which I did today.

I wanted to give them all the same waypoint name (not code), with the idea of then editing them and just changing the last one or two characters to say "<cache name> intermediate point 01", etc. I was planning to use the Paste buffer each time to paste a code and change the last one or two digits there too.

However, I was slightly surprised not to be able to find the option "Waypoint name" in the "Global replace" dialogu dropdown list. Granted, it's not everyone who will want this, but if the database allows "Waypoint name" to be non-unique, it would seem logical to allow the user - at their own risk! - to set it to the same value for several caches.

Can this be added, or is there a theoretical reason why it's a bad idea ?

Yea, this one was left out to "protect users from themselves" but also because I could not see a reason why you would want to do this.

You have just provided a valid reason :)

Like you said it will be "at you own risk!", so keep those backups handy B)

I will add this one into the next release

PQ of all your finds :)

It has just come to my attention that you can now do a PQ of all your finds (actually I think the option returns all caches you placed a log, including DNF's)

This is an options that Groundspeak have been promising for some time now and it is finally here B):huh::o;):P

If you want to get all your finds into GSAK (including archived caches) you can now do so. This would also be a good way to automatically synchronize your GSAK found count with gc.com

I hastily added a waypoint manually to one of my GSAK databases, when I didn't have a cache my caching companions had on a trip this weekend. Now, as I'm going through and logging the caches, I've remembered that I manually added it when I double-clicked the waypoint, and it went to a MapQuest page instead of going to the online browser version (since it obviously didn't have a URL obtained from a gpx file). Was this intentional, or should I be getting an error message instead?

I'll delete the manual waypoint and load a gpx for the cache before I go any farther.

Thanks,

Candy

I hastily added a waypoint manually to one of my GSAK databases, when I didn't have a cache my caching companions had on a trip this weekend. Now, as I'm going through and logging the caches, I've remembered that I manually added it when I double-clicked the waypoint, and it went to a MapQuest page instead of going to the online browser version (since it obviously didn't have a URL obtained from a gpx file). Was this intentional, or should I be getting an error message instead?

Yes, currently that is the "default" URL if GSAK finds this blank

PQ all finds:

A minor caution: Deleted logs are included so if you posted a find, decided to change it by deleting and re-adding, you will get 2 finds for that cache.

I assume they will correct this.

In another thread, Jeremy says they have corrected this. I won't know until tomorrow (when I can run it again?)...but anyone reading this now should be OK.

PQ of all your finds :ph34r:

It has just come to my attention that you can now do a PQ of all your finds (actually I think the option returns all caches you placed a log, including DNF's)

This is an options that Groundspeak have been promising for some time now and it is finally here :):huh:B)<_<:ph34r:

If you want to get all your finds into GSAK (including archived caches) you can now do so. This would also be a good way to automatically synchronize your GSAK found count with gc.com

Clyde,

As you have pointed out that there is a new Found PQ. I also discovered this this afternoon so I set it to run today.

When I got in from work I downloaded the Found PQ's and imported it into GSAK, now something odd happened, where as I have only found 114 caches to date after the New PQ was downloaded and imported it said 115 found.

Odd I thought so I created a new Database and imported the file into that, again 115 caches found B)

I looked at my GC.com stats page and it confirmed that I had only have 114 finds, now that has confused me, Is this a problem with the PQ file? Or is there some error in GSAK? I did a count on GSAK on the new database I had created and that comes to 114, also I right clicked on the last record and chose the current line number and that is also saying 114

I guess I will reach 200 sooner than I think B)

Anyone else witness this?

Milton (aka Moote)

PQ of all your finds :ph34r:

This is an options that Groundspeak have been promising for some time now and it is finally here  :)  :huh:  B)  <_<  :ph34r:

Clyde,

As you have pointed out that there is a new Found PQ. I also discovered this this afternoon so I set it to run today.

When I got in from work I downloaded the Found PQ's and imported it into GSAK, now something odd happened, where as I have only found 114 caches to date after the New PQ was downloaded and imported it said 115 found.

Odd I thought so I created a new Database and imported the file into that, again 115 caches found B)

I looked at my GC.com stats page and it confirmed that I had only have 114 finds, now that has confused me, Is this a problem with the PQ file? Or is there some error in GSAK? I did a count on GSAK on the new database I had created and that comes to 114, also I right clicked on the last record and chose the current line number and that is also saying 114

I guess I will reach 200 sooner than I think B)

Anyone else witness this?

Milton (aka Moote)

This is a known Groundspeak issue and was explained a few posts back.

Please see this post

PQ all finds:

A minor caution: Deleted logs are included so if you posted a find, decided to change it by deleting and re-adding, you will get 2 finds for that cache.

Yes, Jeremy has said this is fixed.

However, please note as of just a few hours ago I believe the problem is still there. I just ran a PQ of all my finds and this issue was still evident.

Even when this is fixed, if you have loaded an "all founds" PQ into your GSAK database with some of these incorrect deleted logs you will still need to remove them from GSAK manually.

You can do this by right mouse clicking on the cache that has the offending logs and select "Delete a log ..." .

Of course you need to track down which are the problem caches. For those with a photograpic memory this will be a snatch, but for the rest of us the following filter is a good starting place to identify these caches. Note: some caches returned by this filter may well be legitimate multi finds - you will need to check this out yourself.

cap25.png

Saw the following problem in 6.0.2:

Int the File|Export|CSV or Text dialog, the file chooser allows only GPX files. It should choose CSV and Text, or All Files.

Thanks. I will fix this in the next build.

However, it is not strictly true that "the chooser allows only GPX files"

It only displays them but you can work around this by entering "*.txt" or "*.csv" as required (without the quotes) to choose the required files.

Can you cancel watches in a macro?

Adding watches is easy. But for canceling watches, there is a confirmation page. Is it possible to automate this completely, or do I need to click on the "yes I want to " button for each watch.

Or is there a better way to do this?

Currently using the macro language you can't do this.

This type of automation starts to get into the "gray" area of violating the Groundspeak TOU (see #5).

Until Groundspeak come up with an API for developers (they have intimated this will happen - see this thread) that allow us to do things like this I really don't want to go there.

Clyde

How do you set up GSAK to not overwrite your found caches. I tried entering my geo name in the options page but it still removes all my found check marks?

Thanks Shimski

Are you loadng GPX or loc files?

If you are loading loc files Please see items 2 and 10 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

If your are loading GPX files then this should not happen. Please take the option "Tools=>Send debug info to clyde" and email me the tracking number and I should be then be able to sort out the problem.

PROBLEM WITH "FOUND" CACHE ATTRIBUTE - HELP!

I am also having problems with the "Found" database attribute. It started happening to me a month or two ago. Here's what happens:

1. I load a .GPX file (from a PQ) into GSAK.

2. I find some caches! (the fun part)

3. I mark them "Found" in GSAK by clicking on the "Found" field for the appropriate caches.

4. I sort the database to show "Found" caches only

5. I export the results into a brand new .GPX file

6. When I open a new, empty database in GSAK and drag the .GPX file in, all the caches are now indicated as being NOT found! They are indeed the records I previously marked as "Found", but something flipped the "Found" field off.

What's going on? Help!

Hi Clyde,

I have a problem with importing single cache GPX files from GC.com into GSAK 6.0.2 from Firefox.

I click on the GPX link on the cache page and then click to confirm opening with the default application (GSAK.exe).

If GSAK is already open (which it normally is) it then starts trying to open a second window - the GSAK splash screen comes up again for a few seconds before the GPX import dialog window comes up. Then comes the problem - if I click "OK" immediately then GSAK will crash. I have to wait until the second GSAK which started to open has given up and closed itself before I press OK. This can take 15-20 seconds.

Is this correct? Should a second copy of GSAK start to run? If not do you know how to stop it?

Many thanks

Edited by Lignumaqua
Hi Clyde,

I have a problem with importing single cache GPX files from GC.com into GSAK 6.0.2 from Firefox.

I click on the GPX link on the cache page and then click to confirm opening with the default application (GSAK.exe).

If GSAK is already open (which it normally is) it then starts trying to open a second window - the GSAK splash screen comes up again for a few seconds before the GPX import dialog window comes up. Then comes the problem - if I click "OK" immediately then GSAK will crash. I have to wait until the second GSAK which started to open has given up and closed itself before I press OK. This can take 15-20 seconds.

Is this correct? Should a second copy of GSAK start to run? If not do you know how to stop it?

Many thanks

Yes, GSAK will start a second copy but it should then transfer control to the first copy.

Could you please email me the error dump of this "crash"

PROBLEM WITH "FOUND" CACHE ATTRIBUTE - HELP!

I am also having problems with the "Found" database attribute. It started happening to me a month or two ago. Here's what happens:

1. I load a .GPX file (from a PQ) into GSAK.

2. I find some caches! (the fun part)

3. I mark them "Found" in GSAK by clicking on the "Found" field for the appropriate caches.

4. I sort the database to show "Found" caches only

5. I export the results into a brand new .GPX file

6. When I open a new, empty database in GSAK and drag the .GPX file in, all the caches are now indicated as being NOT found! They are indeed the records I previously marked as "Found", but something flipped the "Found" field off.

What's going on? Help!

Have you also locked these waypoints?

There is a bug in the load of locked waypoints that "locks" the found status from being set. This will be fixed in the next release.

Hi Clyde,

snip...

Many thanks

Yes, GSAK will start a second copy but it should then transfer control to the first copy.

Hi Clyde,

This is probably a dumb question - but where do I find the error dump to mail you? All that happens is that GSAK shuts down. I get no error messages or any indication of a problem - just no program any more!

I've looked in the GSAK program directory and can't see any likely files there.

I have to reboot GSAK every time I import a GPX file like this and it then reports that it detected an abnormal shutdown and rebuilds the database. If I import them via the filemenu it behaves nicely.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Clyde,

snip...

Many thanks

Hi Clyde,

This is probably a dumb question - but where do I find the error dump to mail you? All that happens is that GSAK shuts down. I get no error messages or any indication of a problem - just no program any more!

I've looked in the GSAK program directory and can't see any likely files there.

I have to reboot GSAK every time I import a GPX file like this and it then reports that it detected an abnormal shutdown and rebuilds the database. If I import them via the filemenu it behaves nicely.

Thanks

Mike

Your original post said "crash" and when GSAK crashes it normally will generate an error log with the option to send to me. Though, you can do this manually by emailing me the file gsak.elf found in the install folder of GSAK.

However, in this case there is no need. Reading you post again I originally missed the part about having to wait the 20 or so seconds. If you try to load during this time, yes you will get a crash.

This issue has been addressed in the next release - from the change log:

When starting GSAK and it is already active (double clicking a gpx file, dragging a gpx/zip file to the desktop icon, double clicking the desktop icon) A lot of the initialization code was not required because control would be returned to the first instance of GSAK anyway. This scenario should now be much quicker and you should no longer get the splash screen when starting the second instance.
snip...

This issue has been addressed in the next release - from the change log:

When starting GSAK and it is already active (double clicking a gpx file, dragging a gpx/zip file to the desktop icon, double clicking the desktop icon) A lot of the initialization code was not required because control would be returned to the first instance of GSAK anyway. This scenario should now be much quicker and you should no longer get the splash screen when starting the second instance.

Thanks Clyde - that's great!

PQ all finds:

A minor caution:  Deleted logs are included so if you posted a find, decided to change it by deleting and re-adding, you will get 2 finds for that cache.

However, please note as of just a few hours ago I believe the problem is still there. I just ran a PQ of all my finds and this issue was still evident.

Even when this is fixed, if you have loaded an "all founds" PQ into your GSAK database with some of these incorrect deleted logs you will still need to remove them from GSAK manually.

You can do this by right mouse clicking on the cache that has the offending logs and select "Delete a log ..." .

(Cymsnip)

This is working for me - so far, for correcting my find counts - I was showing about 14 over what I should have, and sure enough some caches now have duplicate found logs.

I'm doing as you described, and it's working. But - dunno how or why - the little "OK" box after deleting the log is popping under the rest of GSAK. I have to Ctrl-Tab once to bring it back to the front to click it, then continue...

This has happened on each of the three that I've done so far. After the first one, I made sure that I did not press any other key or move the mouse, just in case. Still happened.

PQ all finds:

A minor caution:  Deleted logs are included so if you posted a find, decided to change it by deleting and re-adding, you will get 2 finds for that cache.

(Cymsnip)

This is working for me - so far, for correcting my find counts - I was showing about 14 over what I should have, and sure enough some caches now have duplicate found logs.

I'm doing as you described, and it's working. But - dunno how or why - the little "OK" box after deleting the log is popping under the rest of GSAK. I have to Ctrl-Tab once to bring it back to the front to click it, then continue...

This has happened on each of the three that I've done so far. After the first one, I made sure that I did not press any other key or move the mouse, just in case. Still happened.

Even more odd, I can't get the "Filter" screen to go 'way. After the first three, I re-ran the filter, and now it's stuck. I had to right-click GSAK on the task bar to close it, and GSAK asked me if I wanted to back up DB's, which I did.

Very odd. I hope I can't recreate this. :D

What are the minimum system requirements for running GSAK?

I managed to get an old laptop with Windows 98SE, and tried GSAK 6 there, but it crashes immediately on startup. The system has very limited RAM at the moment. Now I'm wondering whether I should just add more memory or if the entire laptop needs to be replaced :D:D

Even more odd, I can't get the "Filter" screen to go 'way. After the first three, I re-ran the filter, and now it's stuck. I had to right-click GSAK on the task bar to close it, and GSAK asked me if I wanted to back up DB's, which I did.

Very odd. I hope I can't recreate this. :ph34r:

Try rebooting your computer and trying again. If you can re-create and let me know the steps, please do so.

I have heard of this behaviour (and I have never been able to reproduce) but so far no one has been able to reliably produce the steps to cause this.

It would appear to be some type of "resource" issue (not memory) and the only commonality so far is that the system has been up for quite some time (that is, not rebooted in days or weeks)

What are the minimum system requirements for running GSAK?

I managed to get an old laptop with Windows 98SE, and tried GSAK 6 there, but it crashes immediately on startup. The system has very limited RAM at the moment. Now I'm wondering whether I should just add more memory or if the entire laptop needs to be replaced :lol::ph34r:

A Pentium 133mhz running Windows 98 and 64mb of ram would be the minimum requirements, though it may resemble a snail on valium in the speed department. Best to keep your databases small if this is your configuration.

One test box I have is a 500mhz running Windows 98SE and 128mb ram. Not as quick as the current crop of computers but the response times are acceptable and GSAK is usable and stable. However, a good idea to run as few programs simultaneously and I would also check out this link http://russelltexas.com/tutorials/resourcemeter.htm