Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Clyde

I downloaded upgrade and now am a continuous loop that won't open program - any ideas as to what I did wrong?

Having the same problem here. Tried to email the dump but it was rejected. Anyone have any answers to this problem before I start going through all the messages one by one?

CrazyCatLady

I really need the error dump to track down what the problem is here.

You can send this to me manually (clyde at gsak dot net) adding the file gsak.elf as an attachment to your email. You will find this file in the install folder of GSAK

Clyde

I am having a problem with printing. If I select 'print/Condensed HTML' Word opens up but remains blank?

If I select 'Print Preview/Condensed HTML' This opens up my web browser, for a few seconds all looks well but then the font size goes huge? This happens in both Firefox and Explorer.

Any ideas?

Martin

The GPX files downloaded from Groundspeak do not contain this summary information so GSAK would have to interrogate your logs to get it.

I am not too clever with this kind of things, you know if anybody has done it ??

Any hints how to do it ??

I would like to learn to build caches which interest cachers !!

I am trying to import a Mapsource file into the Arc/Poly filter for a route. I saved the Mapsource file as a *.mps file extension.

When I choose to load the file in the filter I get an error message that pops up saying: "Could not Find c:\\Program Files\GSAK\temp\arcin.txt."

I have just downloaded the newest version of GSAK and continue to get this error.

Am I doing something wrong?

today I made a lot of cleanup in my notes. So I had to wipe out the whole text. I had to markup the text with the mouse. Could you add here a shortkey "Ctrl-A" for this like in other applications?

Ctrl+A has already been used as a shortcut to the options menu.

However you can do the same thing with the other windows convention using the shift key:

Shift-End =>Select a line

Shif-Ctrl-End =>Select all text (from the beginning of the cursor to the end)

I am trying to import a Mapsource file into the Arc/Poly filter for a route. I saved the Mapsource file as a *.mps file extension.

When I choose to load the file in the filter I get an error message that pops up saying: "Could not Find c:\\Program Files\GSAK\temp\arcin.txt."

I have just downloaded the newest version of GSAK and continue to get this error.

Am I doing something wrong?

GSAK uses GPSBabel "under the covers" to generate this file. Something is preventing GPSBabel from doing this creation. Go to Tools=>Options=>Advanced and tick the "debug mode" box. Now try again and you should see the console screen that tries to generate this file. Hopefully this will give us more information to track down what the problem is.

Clyde

I downloaded upgrade and now am a continuous loop that won't open program - any ideas as to what I did wrong?

Having the same problem here. Tried to email the dump but it was rejected. Anyone have any answers to this problem before I start going through all the messages one by one?

CrazyCatLady

You can send this to me manually (clyde at gsak dot net) adding the file gsak.elf as an attachment to your email. You will find this file in the install folder of GSAK

Clyde,

I tried emailing you and got the following -- this is the third time I've tried to send this -- Any suggestions?

This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:

Message-id: <NIBBLFONMLGMLBCJMEHEMEGDDPAA.'my email address'>

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:03:48 -0500

To: Clyde <clyde@gsak.net>

Subject: GSAK Dump

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: clyde@gsak.net

Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address

Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Connection denied after dictionary attack

Remote system: dns;gsak.net (TCP|10.0.143.178|34527|67.15.20.33|25) (svr60.ehostpros.com ESMTP Exim 4.52 #1 Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:05:24 -0700 )

Clyde

CrazyCatLady

Clyde,

I tried emailing you and got the following -- this is the third time I've tried to send this -- Any suggestions?

This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:

Message-id: <NIBBLFONMLGMLBCJMEHEMEGDDPAA.'my email address'>

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:03:48 -0500

To: Clyde <clyde@gsak.net>

Subject: GSAK Dump

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: clyde@gsak.net

Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address

Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Connection denied after dictionary attack

Remote system: dns;gsak.net (TCP|10.0.143.178|34527|67.15.20.33|25) (svr60.ehostpros.com ESMTP Exim 4.52 #1 Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:05:24 -0700 )

Yor SMTP server is rejecting that address for some reason, instead try cwe at iinet dot net dot au

I am having a problem with printing.  If I select 'print/Condensed HTML' Word opens up but remains blank?

If I select 'Print Preview/Condensed HTML' This opens up my web browser, for a few seconds all looks well but then the font size goes huge? This happens in both Firefox and Explorer.

Any ideas?

Normally the print action associated with HTML files is with your browser, but on your system it is with Microsoft word, so there is an issue there printing HTML from word. However, the easiest way to get around this is to just select preview and then select print from your browser.

As for the huge fonts, I have not heard of this problem so am light on ideas but one thing you could check is your browser settings - view=>text size

Edited by ClydeE

Help! When I try to download waypoints from GSAK to my Magellan 315 I get the following message:

Error sending waypoints.

MAGPROTO cannot open 'com1' for write. Error was 'Permission denied'.

All I know about computers is which buttons to push (usually) I did know enough to go to sytem and device manager and check the com1 port. It says it's operating properly, it's enabled and it's set to the same baud rate (4800) as the GPS.

What on earth is going on here?

Help! When I try to download waypoints from GSAK to my Magellan 315 I get the following message:

Error sending waypoints.

MAGPROTO cannot open 'com1' for write. Error was 'Permission denied'.

All I know about computers is which buttons to push (usually) I did know enough to go to sytem and device manager and check the com1 port. It says it's operating properly, it's enabled and it's set to the same baud rate (4800) as the GPS.

What on earth is going on here?

Hopefully you will find the answer here or here

Subject: Switching computers, can I transfer GSAK??

Just bought a computer (used) from work that I will be using as my primary internet machine. Hubby plays around on the laptop which currently has my registered copy of GSAK on it. Tried accessing it through my network, but it's a pain to have the laptop running all that time, and silly WinXP doesn't want me looking at my Program Files directory on the Laptop (can't set sharing permission for that directory).... anyway. I downloaded a fresh copy of GSAK to install on the desktop and wanted to know if there is some way I can retrieve my registration code from the other machine to register this one. The copy on the laptop will not be used once I get this copy up to speed. Is there any way of doing this or do I have to register a second time for the new computer??

Subject: Switching computers, can I transfer GSAK??

Just bought a computer (used) from work that I will be using as my primary internet machine. Hubby plays around on the laptop which currently has my registered copy of GSAK on it. Tried accessing it through my network, but it's a pain to have the laptop running all that time, and silly WinXP doesn't want me looking at my Program Files directory on the Laptop (can't set sharing permission for that directory).... anyway. I downloaded a fresh copy of GSAK to install on the desktop and wanted to know if there is some way I can retrieve my registration code from the other machine to register this one. The copy on the laptop will not be used once I get this copy up to speed. Is there any way of doing this or do I have to register a second time for the new computer??

Please see items 15 and 16 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

Hi,

Multilanguage GSAK ?

are the Text String in a ressource file ?

There are certain user here (switzerland) with a lot of trouble with ebglish.

May i can give you a hand to translate the Strings the users will love it.

cu steininet

Yep, one of the problems of being a one man band, all this takes time to implement and keep current - I just haven't got time to do everything. :lol:

Multilanguage versions of GSAK is "on the list" but I won't lie - it is very much a low priority.

Features for GSAK are largely user driven (and this list is longer than both arms ;) ), and it is just a matter of fact that English speaking users make up the lions share.

Edited by ClydeE

I found a bug which I cannot find on these forums, so I decided to add it myself.

Type: Defect

Component: File / Export / HTML

Synopsis: Wrong indices while exporting to html

Description: If I start the "export to html"-window and then click on the Locations-button to change my locations, the index of locations is not updated, resulting in wrong indices in the html files.

Steps to reproduce:

• Click File, Export, HTML Files...
  • At top right of the window, click the Locations-button.
  • Add one or more locations which come before existing locations on alphabetic order.
  • Click OK to return to the Export-window.
  • Select a location below a location you just added.
  • Export to html.
  • Watch the result.

You will notice that the index you selected is not equal to the index that you will see in the export. Reason: the index of the listbox isn't updated. If you have a location "home" and then add a new location "camping" from the export window, the new location will be shown above the home-location. If you then select the camping-location to be an index, the system will see it as "location #1" (the first checkbox), which was the "home" location when the export-window was started. Thus, "Home" will be the index that is exported while the user wants "Camping" to be the index.

Solution: reindex the listbox items in the onClick-event of the export function.

Edited by PaLPiTaTioN
I found a bug which I cannot find on these forums, so I decided to add it myself.

Type: Defect

Component: File / Export / HTML

Synopsis: Wrong indices while exporting to html

Description: If I start the "export to html"-window and then click on the Locations-button to change my locations, the index of locations is not updated, resulting in wrong indices in the html files.

Steps to reproduce:

• Click File, Export, HTML Files...
  • At top right of the window, click the Locations-button.
  • Add one or more locations which come before existing locations on alphabetic order.
  • Click OK to return to the Export-window.
  • Select a location below a location you just added.
  • Export to html.
  • Watch the result.

You will notice that the index you selected is not equal to the index that you will see in the export. Reason: the index of the listbox isn't updated. If you have a location "home" and then add a new location "camping" from the export window, the new location will be shown above the home-location. If you then select the camping-location to be an index, the system will see it as "location #1" (the first checkbox), which was the "home" location when the export-window was started. Thus, "Home" will be the index that is exported while the user wants "Camping" to be the index.

Solution: reindex the listbox items in the onClick-event of the export function.

Thanks.

Fixed in next version.

Ok, here goes – Is there an idiot’s guide to macros? I am no programmer. I have read Automating GSAK (Macros) page & fell like I am trying to comprehend Latin or something.

I don’t know what variables, expressions or tokens are. I don’t get what “$_<!# or *{]}[” mean or do.

Now that I have set up my PQ’s I have database of approximately 2300 caches in central Indiana. All I want to do is get my “default” database divided into smaller databases to organize the info and make searches via Cachemate on my PDA quicker by using smaller databases. I want cache databases for different regions of central Indiana each based from different center points like in my PQ’s, but filtering out my hides & finds. I tried to us the macros from the website, “Full SheBang” & “GetMail” but I get an error message

&

And I have no idea how to fix the problem, I understand that the command to get mail doesn’t have the correct info to goto my e-mail account, but I do have the

“get data via e-mail” set up & working when I chose it from the File drop down.

Well any way Clyde or someone please help this idiot. Or just tell me if this is going to be over my head & maybe there is some other way to do what I want.

Ok, here goes – Is there an idiot’s guide to macros? I am no programmer. I have read Automating GSAK (Macros) page & fell like I am trying to comprehend Latin or something.

I don’t know what variables, expressions or tokens are. I don’t get what “$_<!# or *{]}[” mean or do.

Now that I have set up my PQ’s I have database of approximately 2300 caches in central Indiana. All I want to do is get my “default” database divided into smaller databases to organize the info and make searches via Cachemate on my PDA quicker by using smaller databases. I want cache databases for different regions of central Indiana each based from different center points like in  my PQ’s, but filtering out my hides & finds. I tried to us the macros from the website, “Full SheBang” & “GetMail” but I get an error message

&

And I have no idea how to fix the problem, I understand that the command to get mail doesn’t have the correct info to goto my e-mail account, but I do have the

“get data via e-mail” set up & working when I chose it from the File drop down.

Well any way Clyde or someone please help this idiot. Or just tell me if this is going to be over my head & maybe there is some other way to do what I want.

Firstly, I don't see a "Full shebang" macro on the website so I don't know what you mean here.

Secondly, if you get an error it is a good idea to quote the error text so that we all have an idea what the actual error is.

Finally, the macro language is not for novices but from reading your post I don't see why you need to use the macro language for what you are trying to do. It would seem everything you are asking can be done from the GSAK GUI.

I would also question why you need to divide your main database into separate ones. Many users find it much easier to just put everything in the one database, then use the powerful "filters" to provide different views of this database depending on what you want to do (in your case it is quite easy to divvy up the database for CacheMate export using filters)

If you really want have different database then you can created them in the GSAK GUI via Database=>New, then you can move waypoints between them by first setting a filter for the required waypoints then taking the Database=>Move/Copy... option.

Edited by ClydeE

Thank you for your quick response. I am certainly a novice so I will steer away from this macro stuff. It sounds very powerful & useful, but I am not ready to mess with this yet.

http://gsak.net/Macros.zip has a macro file named Full shebang. That is what I tried . Again, over my head. So we'll just not worry about the error.

I was mistakenly thinking that macros & filters were the same or related.

I do like the one main default database, my intrest is in getting the differnet views,

& to divvy up the database for CacheMate export using filters.

I was reading about macros. I will now start reading about filters, in http://gsak.net/help/ghelp.htm .

Again thank you for your help. Any other tips on or places to learn more about filters would be appreciated.

Edited by IndyLocator

Hi, with the new geocaching upgrade, I'm having problems using Gsak.

When I start Gsak, log in to geocaching.com, go to a cache on line and click on Make this page print-friendly (no logs), the page comes up but the waypoint data is not there and requests that I login. It is like I was not logged in at all! This just changed with the latest geocaching upgrade. What am I doing wrong?

When I have a internet explorer window up (not though Gsak) and log into geocahcing.com, the Gsak print-friendly page comes up properly.

with the new geocaching upgrade

Which specific upgrade are you referring to here

When I start Gsak, log in to geocaching.com,

I don't understand this, when you start GSAK there is no option to log into geocaching.com. Could you please explain what you are doing here in more detail

Per Groundspeak Forums -> Groundspeak Notices -> Geocaching Announcements post by Jeremy on Oct 17 2005 titled Major Release, Fixes, additions, etc.

One of the ~25 changes made was:

Cache Page: You must now log in before you can see coordinates for cache listings.

Steps taken

1) Start Gsak

2) Select (Online waypoint URL) on a waypoint on the bottom of the window (explorer view)

3) On the geocaching page that is displayed at the bottom of the window select log in

4) Login to Geocaching.com

5) Now you are at a given Cache Details. Then select "Make this page print-friendly (no logs)"

6) When the new window comes up the print friendly page is there but instead of coordinates it specifies the following:

You must be logged in with an account to

view the Location Information

for this Cache. It's free!

It is like you have not logged into geocaching at all.

When I do the above step 4) and 5) using Internet Explorer alone (not Gsak) the print friendly (no logs) page shows the proper coordinates.

Hope this help?

Per Groundspeak Forums -> Groundspeak Notices -> Geocaching Announcements post by Jeremy on Oct 17 2005 titled Major Release, Fixes, additions, etc.

Cache Page: You must now log in before you can see coordinates for cache listings.

Steps taken

1) Start Gsak

2) Select (Online waypoint URL) on a waypoint on the bottom of the window (explorer view)

3) On the geocaching page that is displayed at the bottom of the window select log in

5) Now you are at a given Cache Details. Then select "Make this page print-friendly (no logs)"

6) When the new window comes up the print friendly page is there but instead of coordinates it specifies the following:

When I do the above step 4) and 5) using Internet Explorer alone (not Gsak) the print friendly (no logs) page shows the proper coordinates.

Hope this help?

Hmm, this scenario works fine for me.

I recall something similar if IE is not your default browser (cookies are not global across browsers), so if you log in via the GSAK split screen (which users IE) then click on a link that comes up in your default browser which is Firefox then this can happen.

Is IE your default browser?

If it is, then I am at a loss to understand why this is happening on your setup.

Anyone else with any ideas?

Steps taken

1) Start Gsak

5) Now you are at a given Cache Details.  Then select "Make this page print-friendly (no logs)"

Hope this help?

I recall something similar if IE is not your default browser (cookies are not global across browsers), so if you log in via the GSAK split screen (which users IE) then click on a link that comes up in your default browser which is Firefox then this can happen.

If it is, then I am at a loss to understand why this is happening on your setup.

I was able to duplicate the problem. I had to log off first to get it. Addtional info: As long as I'm using the link in the split screen, after logging in (from the split screen) I can see the location details (on any cache in the db), but if I right click a cache and view it in a browser I'm not logged in. So it seems there is a difference in the calls made to GC.com between the two (split screen link & right click menu). Does this help?

Steps taken

1) Start Gsak

5) Now you are at a given Cache Details.  Then select "Make this page print-friendly (no logs)"

Hope this help?

I was able to duplicate the problem. I had to log off first to get it. Addtional info: As long as I'm using the link in the split screen, after logging in (from the split screen) I can see the location details (on any cache in the db), but if I right click a cache and view it in a browser I'm not logged in. So it seems there is a difference in the calls made to GC.com between the two (split screen link & right click menu). Does this help?

I still couldn't reproduce with those steps, so I just kept trying different things until I could finally repeat the problem.

When you log into gc.com ther is a box that says "Remember me (requires cookies)"

I always check this box and hence could not duplicate the problem. When I follow the above steps and don't check this box - bingo!

So it would appear if you want your login to be preserved across these browser sessions you must tick this box (and of course cookies must be enabled in your browser settings)

Can corrected co-ordinates be copied from one database to another easily (to avoid correcting the co-ords of the same cache on two different databases manually)?

If you use the Move/copy option, then any waypoints copied or moved from one database to another have the corrected coordinates preserved.

If you are going to make user modified changes to caches (like corrected coordinates, user notes, user data, etc) and you keep duplicated copies in another database then I suggest you use the copy option to synchronize these changes. You should be able to set a filter on the "last change user" date to isolate the caches you have made user changes on (if you only concern is corrected coordinates then just set a filter on "corrected coordinates = yes").

Edited by ClydeE

I tried searching the forum to see if this had been posted yet but I couldn't find it, so I'm sorry if this is a total newbie question...

In GSAK, how do you export caches set as not found? I like keeping a tab of all I've done and all I'm looking at and I want to just export the points I haven't set as found. Can I do this?

Thanks,

rhitcooter

I tried searching the forum to see if this had been posted yet but I couldn't find it, so I'm sorry if this is a total newbie question...

In GSAK, how do you export caches set as not found? I like keeping a tab of all I've done and all I'm looking at and I want to just export the points I haven't set as found. Can I do this?

Filters are your friend ;)

Go to Search=>Filter, then uncheck the found box in the general tab.

You now have a sub set of waypoints that are not found and just about any thing you do in GSAK (including all exports) will only be done on this sub set of filtered waypoints.

Perhaps one of the most powerful features of GSAK is the ability to use filters to slice and dice your data in an infinite number of ways. It is a good idea to become familiar with filters as the payback can be very rewarding.

I've got an idea for a new feature which would be nice to have. It will take some time to implement, although I don't think it's too hard a thing to do:

It would be nice to be able to add attachments to a cache, just like it's already possible to add a note. The attachment could be saved to a subdirectory of the installation folder. Think of track log files and waypoint-files etc.

Another feature could be to copy embedded pictures to the html export. Now, it's possible to add links to the Notes for a cache, but in html export, these links are dead links if there's no internet connection available. Maybe it's possible to copy the pictures to the output folder, or make this feature optional.

Thank you for this great tool anyway! :mad:

I've got an idea for a new feature which would be nice to have. It will take some time to implement, although I don't think it's too hard a thing to do:

It would be nice to be able to add attachments to a cache, just like it's already possible to add a note. The attachment could be saved to a subdirectory of the installation folder. Think of track log files and waypoint-files etc.

The user notes support HTML so you can effectively do this now by just adding the URL to your attachments.

Another feature could be to copy embedded pictures to the html export. Now, it's possible to add links to the Notes for a cache, but in html export, these links are dead links if there's no internet connection available. Maybe it's possible to copy the pictures to the output folder, or make this feature optional.

GSAK currently can't do this without "spidering" gc.com which violates the TOU. However, if you find there are pictures you really need you can save these yourself then have GSAK link to the picture on your hard drive via the "add picture button" in the user notes.

Hey I have a quick question in general about the GSAK/Cachemate combo...

What is the best way to update your databases?

I have been doing this:

- clearing out my GSAK database of all waypoints

- Redownloading and reimporting all pocketqueries

- Deleting all points in Cachemate

- Deleting all waypoints on Garmin

- Re exporting to PDB and cachemate and Garmin from GSAK

I guess my question is this: If I simply reload a new pocketquery into the same database will GSAK replace all the old files with new descriptions and everything while adding all the new additional caches. i.e. will everything still be up to date?

Then in turn if I export to Cachemate and Garmin without deleting anything in either will the files be overwritten so only new information is made, or will it create duplicate files and waypoints on those devices.

I hope this makes sense...

I have been doing this:

I guess my question is this: If I simply reload a new pocketquery into the same database will GSAK replace all the old files with new descriptions and everything while adding all the new additional caches. i.e. will everything still be up to date?

Then in turn if I export to Cachemate and Garmin without deleting anything in either will the files be overwritten so only new information is made, or will it create duplicate files and waypoints on those devices.

Yep, it makes sense. GSAK will update any caches that you import from your PQs and add any caches that are new. Garmin, I'm not sure about because I always delete all of the waypoints and then download new ones. CacheMate will do the same as GSAK, i.e. update current waypoints and add new waypoints.

The only problem with all of this is that archived caches are NOT sent from gc.com via PQs. So here's what I do:

• Import my PQs.
  • Apply a filter that displays all caches whose last GPX date is greater than 7 days (I do this procedure once a week).
  • Manually check all caches. This is a pain but Clyde can't automate this because of the TOU.
  • If the cache is NOT archived, download the gpx file into a folder called OTHER.
  • If the cache is archived, download the gpx file into a folder called ARCHIVED and check the User box.
  • Run a macro to load the OTHER folder and delete the files in the folder; move archived caches (those with the User box checked) to a database called Archived; and load the ARCHIVED folder.
  • Move all of the gpx files in the ARCHIVED folder into ARCHIVED.ZIP file.

I have been doing this:

Yep, it makes sense. GSAK will update any caches that you import from your PQs and add any caches that are new. Garmin, I'm not sure about because I always delete all of the waypoints and then download new ones. CacheMate will do the same as GSAK, i.e. update current waypoints and add new waypoints.

The only problem with all of this is that archived caches are NOT sent from gc.com via PQs. So here's what I do:

• Import my PQs.
  • Apply a filter that displays all caches whose last GPX date is greater than 7 days (I do this procedure once a week).
  • Manually check all caches. This is a pain but Clyde can't automate this because of the TOU.
  • If the cache is NOT archived, download the gpx file into a folder called OTHER.
  • If the cache is archived, download the gpx file into a folder called ARCHIVED and check the User box.
  • Run a macro to load the OTHER folder and delete the files in the folder; move archived caches (those with the User box checked) to a database called Archived; and load the ARCHIVED folder.
  • Move all of the gpx files in the ARCHIVED folder into ARCHIVED.ZIP file.

Garmin's will overwrite (replace) existing waypoints that have the same, exact name and add any that have a different name (note: necessarily a different waypoint, if you've changed your naming convention), but I also delete all the geocaches (delete by symbol) in my Garmin before reloading the latest from GSAK. I do this to delete found caches and to make sure that I don't retain any caches in the GPSr that were archived between the two uploads (don't want to be looking for those while out in the field). Bottom line: no need to clear your GSAK or Cachemate databases, but I also recommend you clear the geocaches from your GPSr.

I use GSAK to manage my placed caches and those I want to find.

I have a database called "Owned" which contains my caches, and also some other associated waypoints - parking places, etc. Similarly, I have a database called "Unfound" with extra WPs, like stage points for multis, etc.

In both cases, the extra waypoints are stored as cache type "Other".

I use a custom icon on my 60cs for my own caches (a green cache box), and I would like to be able to use a different icon to flag "my" extra waypoints from "unfound" extra waypoints.

To do this, I currently send "my" extra WPs as "Other+Placed" and "other" extra WPs as "Other+Not Found". But to do this, I have to set all "my" extra WPs as "owned by me", and that means that the counts are wrong (the WP names go green and get mixed in with my cache count).

Is there some way to manage non-cache waypoints, apart from "Other" ? How about user-settable categories from 0 to 9, etc? (Unless I need to look further into the documentation...0

Thanks

Nick

I use GSAK to manage my placed caches and those I want to find.

I have a database called "Owned" which contains my caches, and also some other associated waypoints - parking places, etc. Similarly, I have a database called "Unfound" with extra WPs, like stage points for multis, etc.

In both cases, the extra waypoints are stored as cache type "Other".

I use a custom icon on my 60cs for my own caches (a green cache box), and I would like to be able to use a different icon to flag "my" extra waypoints from "unfound" extra waypoints.

To do this, I currently send "my" extra WPs as "Other+Placed" and "other" extra WPs as "Other+Not Found". But to do this, I have to set all "my" extra WPs as "owned by me", and that means that the counts are wrong (the WP names go green and get mixed in with my cache count).

Is there some way to manage non-cache waypoints, apart from "Other" ? How about user-settable categories from 0 to 9, etc? (Unless I need to look further into the documentation...0

Customising waypoint types is "on the list" and will eventually pop up in a future version.

However, you can really do what you are asking now.

Providing you can break these waypoints up using filters (and if you can't now, use the user data field to separate them) you can allocate any icon you like to the filtered waypoints using the "icon overrides" feature.

For an overview of how to do this please see this post

Hi everybody.

I asked a time ago for some help with "Custom URL" and perheps get Mappoint or Fugawi to open with correct cache in center of the screen, but perhaps no one know how to do it.

Now I have found some intresting stuff around this, but I can´t get it to work.

I get mappoint to open my mapfile with all caches as pushpins, but it will open it as it was saved the last time, it´s not opens with the cache in center.

The thing is, I want to rightclick on a cache in GSAK choose "Custom URL" and there I have Mappiont. And Mappoint (local installed on my PC) will open with the cache in center on the screen.

Here is some info about Customize a map shortcut from Microsoft.

Is there someone who can help my?

I'm new to geocaching and I'd like to use GSAK to keep track of my waypoints/geocaches. I have a Garmin 60CS. I've seen many posts on various aspects of using GSAK, but this is a rather complex software program. Does anyone know of a step-by-step guide to using GSAK (specialized use for the 60CS would also be helpful)? I'd basically like to take my pocket query, download the waypoints into GSAK, organize them, and them get them into my GPS (I'm aware of some issues regarding closed treasure chest icons and open treasure chest icons in the Garmin). I'd also like to know how to clean up/remove these waypoints so I can download additional waypoints into the GPS. Any assistance or links would be appreciated. TIA.

Clyde,

I'm using GSAK 6.0.2 (Build=24). In the past few days I've started using the full text search feature in Set Filter. In the "other" tab I clear all cache types except Benchmark. In "General" I'll enter the type of benchmark I'm looking for (i.e., 13 = Lighthouse). When I run the search GSAK has been freezing up on me. The search completes, but "Set Filter" screen stays up and won't respond to mouse clicks to close or cancel. Nothing in GSAK will respond. I generally end up giving GSAK the three-finger-salute to close it. When re-opened, I have to wait while it does a repair or defrag thing. Then it's good to go again until the next full text search.

Any suggestions?

Colleen

The search completes, but "Set Filter" screen stays up and won't respond to mouse clicks to close or cancel. Nothing in GSAK will respond.

A workaround (to avoid the salute/repair cycle) is to click the "X" on the main window to cancel the filter. (You only have one chance to do it...if you don't and then go back to the filter, you won't be able to do it.)

I know that's not ideal, but it does save some time. The filter may work the second time.

I had this trouble on my previous computer...Clyde tried to help but told me he thought it was a resource issue. Clearly (for me) it wasn't reliably repeatable, which makes it real tough to debug. (If it ALWAYS happens in a certain circumstance, it's more likely Clyde could help...but if he thinks it's still a resource issue [describe your computer]...)

I've got a new computer now...and haven't had that trouble since.

Clyde,

I'm using GSAK 6.0.2 (Build=24). In the past few days I've started using the full text search feature in Set Filter. In the "other" tab I clear all cache types except Benchmark. In "General" I'll enter the type of benchmark I'm looking for (i.e., 13 = Lighthouse). When I run the search GSAK has been freezing up on me. The search completes, but "Set Filter" screen stays up and won't respond to mouse clicks to close or cancel. Nothing in GSAK will respond. I generally end up giving GSAK the three-finger-salute to close it. When re-opened, I have to wait while it does a repair or defrag thing. Then it's good to go again until the next full text search.

Any suggestions?

Colleen

Yes, refer to BeeJays post above. Also try rebooting your computer.

This is a real weird one, as I have had a couple of similar reports but I have never been able to reproduce on the computers I have here.

Even the users that have reported this problem can't seem do reproduce on a regular basis.

Please email me your computer specifications (operating system, memory, etc) and I will probably ask you to try a few other things to see if we can track this down.

Thx

Clyde