Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I had a computer crash yesterday (don't ask - the whole network went). GSAK was open at the time and, as usual, it recovered itself quite happily (and much quicker than previous versions - thanks Clyde.

The next time I ran GetMail it picked up all the old PQs rather than just the new ones. Subsequent GetMails worked fine.

I presume that GSAK uses UIDL to determine which mail is new. Is it possible that the data wasn't flushed to disk because of the crash, so it started at the beginning again?

Yes, GSAK uses the UIDL for the determination of "new messages" and saves these IDs to disk.

So it looks like that is exactly what happened.

I'm using GSAK to create a file to be read into Microsoft Streets & Trips. When I try to read the file that GSAK created I get a message that says the file data.csv has a bad format.

My GSAK file comes straight from my Pocket Query.

Any suggestions as to where I should look for the problem?

As I recall, you will get this message if you try to open the file in S&T.

Instead, the generated file must be imported.

For a good tutorial on how to do this please see this link

Yes, GSAK uses the UIDL for the determination of "new messages" and saves these IDs to disk.

Is that a problem that you can fix? If only to ensure that the UIDL is kept as it was from the last successful GetMail, rather than being emptied and so getting the lot again?

Or can I help myself by securing the UIDL separately? Is it user-accessible?

Is that a problem that you can fix? If only to ensure that the UIDL is kept as it was from the last successful GetMail, rather than being emptied and so getting the lot again?

Or can I help myself by securing the UIDL separately? Is it user-accessible?

GSAK does do this. It issues a write to disk after the successful download, so as far as it is concerned your data is saved.

However, windows has it's own disk cache to boost performance and if the write is in the cache you will loose these changes when you have a system crash or power failure. This applies not only to GSAK but all other programs as well. However, the latency in doing the physical write to the disk is usually only seconds so the other likey cause is that your system FAT was corrupted when you had the system crash and this too can cause information in any program to be lost.

This information is stored in the file gsak.dbf so you could also have caused this problem yourself by doing a File=>Restore, and restoring a backup prior to your GetMail download.

Edited by ClydeE

Hmmm... don't think any of those apply. The last GetMail was a whole day before the crash, so staged writes are out. There've been no other problems with the PC, though of course XP often silently fixes logical corruption. I've certainly not restored any part of GSAK.

Nothing to worry about. I've reduced the email retention time for that account so the impact will be less severe if it happens again.

Just one of those things. Thanks for your time.

I'm using GSAK to create a file to be read into Microsoft Streets & Trips. When I try to read the file that GSAK created I get a message that says the file data.csv has a bad format.

My GSAK file comes straight from my Pocket Query.

Any suggestions as to where I should look for the problem?

As I recall, you will get this message if you try to open the file in S&T.

Instead, the generated file must be imported.

For a good tutorial on how to do this please see this link

Hey Clyde,

Yes, of course you are correct...I think I might have even asked you this before. They say the brain is the first thing to go...I can hardly wait for the rest of the body to catch up. :)

Thanks again for an excellent product and even better support.

Paul

Is there a good reason why GSAK's Coordinates data is in 6 fields (when editing a waypoint)? This makes it difficult to just quickly create a waypoint by copying a string from say email or message boards (and vice versa). It would be handy if there was just a single field for coordinates, and if GSAK could automatically remove/ignore degree symbols and apostrophes.

The upshot question: Is there a way to copy-paste from a text source for quick (i.e. single step) waypoint creation?

Thanks.

Tim(e).

Is there a good reason why GSAK's Coordinates data is in 6 fields (when editing a waypoint)? This makes it difficult to just quickly create a waypoint by copying a string from say email or message boards (and vice versa). It would be handy if there was just a single field for coordinates, and if GSAK could automatically remove/ignore degree symbols and apostrophes.

The upshot question: Is there a way to copy-paste from a text source for quick (i.e. single step) waypoint creation?

You have two formats to choose from here (see the radio button), one with 6 fields and one with 2 fields.

They are structured this way to make sure you enter the correct details.

However, the next version of GSAK has a "waypoint grabber" that also supports the windows clipboard so you will be able to automatically generate waypoints form text that you have copied to the clipboard.

Edited by ClydeE
Hmmm... don't think any of those apply. The last GetMail was a whole day before the crash, so staged writes are out. There've been no other problems with the PC, though of course XP often silently fixes logical corruption. I've certainly not restored any part of GSAK.

Nothing to worry about. I've reduced the email retention time for that account so the impact will be less severe if it happens again.

Just one of those things. Thanks for your time.

A nice solution that works for me is to change your forwarding and POP settings in Gmail so that:

2. When messages are accessed with POP: Archive gmail's copy.

Each time a message is downloaded by GSAK getmail, the file is archived in gmail. This takes the message out of your inbox (so that it can't be downloaded again), but it is still stored in "All Mail" if you ever want it.

However, the next version of GSAK has a "waypoint grabber" that also supports the windows clipboard so you will be able to automatically generate waypoints form text that you have copied to the clipboard.

Bonus. Much appreciated!

is there a time frame on that Clyde?

and as I have joked in the past - this thread is getting long

time for an update <grin>...

cc\

Bonus. Much appreciated!

is there a time frame on that Clyde?

and as I have joked in the past - this thread is getting long

time for an update <grin>...

cc\

As in the past, I am reluctant to give a specific time as I don't want to disappoint.

This version is turning out to be a "monster" and I still have quite a few more features to add before it goes public.

Not much help, but I will say it should be out well before Christmas :o

Edited by ClydeE

Not to jump the gun or set up a lynch mob for ya Clyde, but..

Outside of the "waypoint grabber" thing from the clipboard, any other "major" new features coming in the *next* release that you'd like to share?

Of course, you won't be held to anything. Just asking out of idle curiousity, 'cos I'm not sure what more you could add to it "major" wise.

Minor tweaks are always expected. :o

Not to jump the gun or set up a lynch mob for ya Clyde, but..

Outside of the "waypoint grabber" thing from the clipboard, any other "major" new features coming in the *next* release that you'd like to share?

Of course, you won't be held to anything.  Just asking out of idle curiousity, 'cos I'm not sure what more you could add to it "major" wise. 

Minor tweaks are always expected.  ;)

The waypoint grabber, is not just from the clipboard. GSAK supports grabbing from details of a single cache in your database, or a filter, of the whole database.

This way you can automatically generate waypoints for all the parking cooridinates, POIs, etc ,directly into your database.

There are quite a few minor changes, and there has been a lot of code changed to implement some of these changes. Perhaps not the most number of features added to a release, but probably the most amount of coding I have done.

However, not sure if you would classify all the following as *major* but here are a few I think are worth a mention:

Support for native lowrance export (including icon generation)

New change log - showing before and after image of changes to a cache when loading GPX files

Post code file search and distribution overhaul which now also includes Canada post codes.

Automatic renaming of attachment files when using GetMail

Addition of favourites and last 5 to name search

New macro commands

Speed improvements

New automatic update notification that works behind firewalls and proxy servers

Macro editor now a separate program and can be run independently of GSAK

Support for first to find

Added new user data 2 column

Added number of logs column

Added Number of finds column

Native support for more data formats in the "arc/poly" filter

Not a fully incusive list by any means, but hopefully enough to wet the appetite :blink:

Edit: Not a great example as it was for testing purposes, but you can check out the new change log here (be sure to also check out the very end of the log)

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde,

A new bug I just realized this morning: When I'm entering information into a multi-line text field within the GSAK window, I can't use the enter key to go to a new line. i.e., if I'm putting a log entry in the bottom pane, hitting enter does nothing, but if I do it in my web browser, enter works as expected. It's relatively minor, but somewhat annoying.

BTW, that change log looks awesome! I can't wait to see it working on my copy! ;)

A new bug I just realized this morning:  When I'm entering information into a multi-line text field within the GSAK window, I can't use the enter key to go to a new line.  i.e., if I'm putting a log entry in the bottom pane, hitting enter does nothing, but if I do it in my web browser, enter works as expected.  It's relatively minor, but somewhat annoying. 

Thanks. Fixed in next version.

Edit: Until then, as a work around you can right mouse click on the GSAK link in the split screen window and select "Open in new window" - this forces the link to open in your browser where multi line text entry will work ok.

Edited by ClydeE

Ok, I admit I'm not the most computer literate person in the forum so I would appreciate any help that I can get. I just upgraded from the Legend to the Legend C. Previously I was using the Easy GPS software, but can't seem to get that to recongnize my Legend C. So GSAK gets installed based on a recommendation from a friend. My questions are these:

1. When I upload the waypoints from my GSX file, they display on my

GPSr the cache NAME vs the GC waypoint info. How can I change this?

2. Is there a way to setup my personal info in GSAK so the distance shown

in these files is distance from my house?

I know these are basic quesitons, but I'm frustrated trying myself and would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Doc

1. When I upload the waypoints from my GSX file, they display on my

GPSr the cache NAME vs the GC waypoint info. How can I change this?

You can use any special tag for your waypoint name (see help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs10300.htm but to keep it simple the following picture should help for what you are asking:

cap19.png

2. Is there a way to setup my personal info in GSAK so the distance shown

in these files is distance from my house?

Yes, you must set your center point to "home" for more information please see this post

Edited by ClydeE

The waypoint grabber, is not just from the clipboard. GSAK supports grabbing from details of a single cache in your database, or a filter, of the whole database.

This way you can automatically generate waypoints for all the parking cooridinates, POIs, etc ,directly into your database.

<Cymsnip - lots of stuff Clyde is adding>

Not a fully incusive list by any means, but hopefully enough to wet the appetite ;)

<end Cymsnip>

Edit: Not a great example as it was for testing purposes, but you can check out the new change log here (be sure to also check out the very end of the log)

Good stuff Clyde. I sit corrected - you HAVE managed to get a few major things in there. I'm sure the Lowrance users are gonna love you in particular.

And if that 2nd user column is what I think it is, added bonus! :blink:

Keep up the good work - fantastic job!

On Tuesday we're traveling to the (US) west coast from our east coast home for a five day "business" trip (four days of caching, one day of business ;) ). I just finished loading 5 PQ's for the area we're visiting, filtering and exporting waypoints to the GPSr, PDA and mapping software.

I was reminded of just how powerful and useful GSAK is, especially when you're traveling to an unfamiliar area a continent away! Just wanted to say "thanks" to Clyde - trip preparation with GSAK is a 1/1 with the reward of a 5/5!

Hey Clyde,

When I export to Mapsource to print maps for groups of caches the waypoint name is getting lengthy and therefore hard to read when they stack over the nearby waypoint. Is there a way to adjust the font size of the waypoint name that gets exported to Mapsource? Thanks for a great program.

When I export to Mapsource to print maps for groups of caches the waypoint name is getting lengthy and therefore hard to read when they stack over the nearby waypoint. Is there a way to adjust the font size of the waypoint name that gets exported to Mapsource? Thanks for a great program.

No, but you could try using the special tag %ShortName=nn instead of %name

Set nn to the maximum number characters you want to see for the name. GSAK will then generate an abbreviated name (similar to smart names) of that length.

Hi! Having thought I had my cachemates log macro working perfectly last week, it appears to have stopped! No error is reported, and it appears to be creating the newfinds.gpx file perfectly, but doesn't open a logging window for GC.com.

When I try to manually load cachemate logs and finds from this file, it tells me that 6 records are matched and selected for update, but 0 founds are updated in gsak and 0 logs are updated.

I can't work out where the problem lies, but it appears to not be importing any founds. If I change my founds filter to look for the last 10 days or so, then it will work for my old logs.

Yours baffled (and stoopid!)

Dave

Hi! Having thought I had my cachemates log macro working perfectly last week, it appears to have stopped! No error is reported, and it appears to be creating the newfinds.gpx file perfectly, but doesn't open a logging window for GC.com.

When I try to manually load cachemate logs and finds from this file, it tells me that 6 records are matched and selected for update, but 0 founds are updated in gsak and 0 logs are updated.

I can't work out where the problem lies, but it appears to not be importing any founds. If I change my founds filter to look for the last 10 days or so, then it will work for my old logs.

Dave

following some investigation, i may have narrowed down the problem. My GSAK database has files stored in the GCXXXX format, whereas cachemate stores files in the XXXXGC format, to make it easier to find them in conjunction with my GPS in the field. So, I THINK that the records aren't matching, because the codes don't match.

Is there a way round this. If I must change one of them, I would rather change GSAK - is this possible?

Thanks again for any help!

Dave

Following the recommendation to convert from special tags to database variables I've been doing so where I can, but I have a problem with type conversion. There are functions to convert dates to/from strings, and to convert strings to a number. There doesn't seem to be a function to convert number to string, and quoting doesn't seem to work.

For example, this works fine:

$Dummy = AppendFile($PrintFile, "<td>" + "%Usersort" + "</td>" + $_Newline)

Now change it to use a database variable:

$Dummy = AppendFile($PrintFile, "<td>" + $d_UserSort + "</td>" + $_Newline)

This will error because $d_UserSort returns a number.

$Dummy = AppendFile($PrintFile, "<td>" + "$d_UserSort" + "</td>" + $_Newline)

will return the string "UserSort".

Where am I going wrong?

Edit: And what about variables that return boolean?

Edited by Alan White

You could always change the Map Font size from inside MapSource preferences. Unfortunately that will change the size of all labels, but that might be OK for your use.

Following the recommendation to convert from special tags to database variables I've been doing so where I can, but I have a problem with type conversion. There are functions to convert dates to/from strings, and to convert strings to a number. There doesn't seem to be a function to convert number to string, and quoting doesn't seem to work.

For example, this works fine:

$Dummy = AppendFile($PrintFile, "<td>" + "%Usersort" + "</td>" + $_Newline)

Now change it to use a database variable:

$Dummy = AppendFile($PrintFile, "<td>" + $d_UserSort + "</td>" + $_Newline)

This will error because $d_UserSort returns a number.

$Dummy = AppendFile($PrintFile, "<td>" + "$d_UserSort" + "</td>" + $_Newline)

will return the string "UserSort".

Where am I going wrong?

Edit: And what about variables that return boolean?

You can type cast numeric to string on the fly using double quotes, but like variable substitution database variables are not supported.

The work around is to assign the database variable to a normal variable, then use the normal variable when type casting on the fly

$Usort = $d_UserSort
$Dummy = AppendFile($PrintFile, "<td>" + "$Usort" + "</td>" + $_Newline)

or

$Usort = $d_UserSort
$UsortString = "$Usort"
$Dummy = AppendFile($PrintFile, "<td>" + $UsortString + "</td>" + $_Newline)

Dave

following some investigation, i may have narrowed down the problem. My GSAK database has files stored in the GCXXXX format, whereas cachemate stores files in the XXXXGC format, to make it easier to find them in conjunction with my GPS in the field. So, I THINK that the records aren't matching, because the codes don't match.

Is there a way round this. If I must change one of them, I would rather change GSAK - is this possible?

Thanks again for any help!

Dave

You have the option to match the each entry in the CacheMate GPX file by code or smart name, so unfortunately XXXXGC will not work.

So unless you can tell CacheMate to convert the code back to GCXXXX when generating the GPX file, this won't work.

You have the option to match the each entry in the CacheMate GPX file by code or smart name, so unfortunately XXXXGC will not work.

So unless you can tell CacheMate to convert the code back to GCXXXX when generating the GPX file, this won't work.

i thought this might be the case! Is the code match option and exact match, or will it work on a partial string? For example, if I have cachemate using the XXXX format, and dropping the GC altogether, will GSAK match the XXXX part with its own GCXXXX, or does it need the entire code to match?

Thanks! getting there...

i thought this might be the case! Is the code match option and exact match, or will it work on a partial string? For example, if I have cachemate using the XXXX format, and dropping the GC altogether, will GSAK match the XXXX part with its own GCXXXX, or does it need the entire code to match?

Thanks! getting there...

Sorry, must be the complete exact code.

If I do

$Sort = $_SortBy

SORT By="usersort"

$SortData = Extract($Sort, "=",1)

$Sequence = Extract($Sort, "=",2)

SORT By=$SortData Sequence=$Sequence

(shamelessly copied from the help file  B) )

I get "Undeclared variable $_SortBy" from the first line.

Hmm, there must be more to this.

No chance there is a spelling mistake in there somewhere?

Is this code pasted from your macro you got the error?

I just duplicated the code in your post, but did not get an error, so perhaps the intervening code has some bearing on the problem.

If you just run a single line macro with:

$Sort = $_SortBy

Do you get the error?

If not, can you keep adding lines of code to your macro until we get the error so that we can track this one down.

edit: or better still just email me your original macro so I can see if I get the same error.

Edited by ClydeE
If I do

$Sort = $_SortBy

SORT By="usersort"

Yes, definitely more to it.

The problem occurs with a macro containing just the single line

$Sort = $_SortBy

but only if the grid is already sorted by Waypoint Name. It works fine if the grid is sorted by any other column (or, at least, as many as I've tried it with).

If I do

$Sort = $_SortBy

SORT By="usersort"

Yes, definitely more to it.

The problem occurs with a macro containing just the single line

$Sort = $_SortBy

but only if the grid is already sorted by Waypoint Name. It works fine if the grid is sorted by any other column (or, at least, as many as I've tried it with).

B) This is an obscure one all right.

I still can't duplicate the error.

I have created a single line macro with:

$Sort = $_SortBy

I start GSAK, then click on the "Waypoint Name" to sort in ascending sequence.

Now, Macro=>Run to call up the single line macro. Runs without error.

Do you get the error following these same steps?

If not, what steps do you take to cause the error?

Is it possible to get 'CACHE find couts' using GSAK ??

I am looking for something like somebody else are lookin for in here !!

You can, but the information provided will only be as good as the number of logs in your database.

The GPX files downloaded from Groundspeak do not contain this summary information so GSAK would have to interrogate your logs to get it.

Clyde

I downloaded upgrade and now am a continuous loop that won't open program - any ideas as to what I did wrong?

Having the same problem here. Tried to email the dump but it was rejected. Anyone have any answers to this problem before I start going through all the messages one by one?

CrazyCatLady

How's this for a feature request -> More thorough support for multi-caches.

Is there a way to incorporate the coordinates of the stages of a multi-cache into the cache? It would really come in handy when outputting to a mapping program as part of the planning of new cache hides. Right now I put them in the notes. I know I could just create new waypoints, but they aren't "connected" to the main cache and could get a bit "cluttering".

Just an idea...

face-laugh.png

How's this for a feature request -> More thorough support for multi-caches.

Is there a way to incorporate the coordinates of the stages of a multi-cache into the cache? It would really come in handy when outputting to a mapping program as part of the planning of new cache hides. Right now I put them in the notes. I know I could just create new waypoints, but they aren't "connected" to the main cache and could get a bit "cluttering".

Just an idea...

face-laugh.png

Another option is to use the corrected coordinates.

Another option is to use the corrected coordinates.

What are "corrected coordinates" and what are they for?

This is a column you can add to the grid (Tools=>Options=>Display) that allows you to enter new co-ords for the cache. As the help file says:

In some cases the published coordinates for a cache are inaccurate.  This dialog box allows you to make adjustments to the published coordinates so that centre points, distances, and so on are accurate.

You can also use this feature for multi caches (for example, to enter a waypoint you are up to, or the final destination) and puzzle caches.

Something else you will like, is a feature Clyde has promised in the next release - waypoint grabbing. An automatic function that will 'grab' co-ords off the cache page and add them to the database. That way parking & other co-ords will be entered without having to manually do it. Sounds like fun.