Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I have a question about user notes vs user data in GSAK.  I would like to do this:

1) Tag the caches in my master GSAK database with some user "tags".

2) I would like to easily include these tags in a csv export file so I can use them in Excel

3) In GSAK I would like to be able to sort, filter, etc on these tags.  It would be nice if I could see them in the summary view.

4) Since I have multiple computers each with a database I would like to easily be able to export the caches which have tags and import the tags to my other databases.

Seems like using the "user data" field gets me 1), 2) and 3).

Using "user notes" gets me 1) and 4).  It doesn't seem like you can export the notes in the csv format and it doesn't appear to be a field in the database that you can filter and search on.

So my question is there an easy way to export just my user data into my other GSAK databases?  If I exported to a GPX file and imported it into my other databases would that do the trick?

What I really need is a networked database synchronization feature!!!  Any plans for that Clyde?!

Thanks,

GO$Rs.

Can't you use the 'Set Filter' and 'Full text search' (inserting your "tag") then tick 'Selected item only' with 'User Notes', then export the result?

Just a thought ....

Will Gsak convert degrees, minutes, minutes into degrees, minutes, seconds if your unit can only be set for that?

It seems that the Lowrance iway 100 as well as the 500 can only use the degrees, minutes, seconds format. :D

GSAK will native support for the Lowrance in the next release.

However, you can still get waypoints to your device in the correct format by using the custom export (File=>Export=>Custom).

For detailed instructions on how to do this please see this post

I wonder if anything can be done to improve the sortation by Longitude. I live in Manitoba near 97°. Some cache in western Manitoba are 100° or higher. If I sort low to high, it goes 100,101,94,95....99. It would be nice to have 94,95,...98,99,100,101.

Thanks for picking this up - I hadn't run into this one :D:mad:

I will fix in the next release.

So my question is there an easy way to export just my user data into my other GSAK databases?  If I exported to a GPX file and imported it into my other databases would that do the trick?

If the database is on the same computer as GSAK then the easiest way is to use the copy waypoints option. This will copy an exact image of the waypoint (including user notes etc) to the other database. If the waypoint exists in the other database it will be updated, if not it will be added.

If the other database is on another computer, but on your network, although redundant ,(see note below) then you can still do this by setting your data store to the network share.

Finally, if the other computer is far removed (say work) then the easiest way is to just generate a GPX file then load it in to your database on that computer. However, if what you are really wanting is an exact image of the database on the work computer then the easiest way is to do a File=>Backup, then File=>Restore. When generating the GPX file be sure to check these settings otherwise the user notes and user data will not survive the trip:

cap12.png

What I really need is a networked database synchronization feature!!!  Any plans for that Clyde?!

Actually, you can use GSAK on a network. You must set you data via Tools=>Options=>General to you network data share.

cap13.png

It is just a bit slower and you can't have users access the data simultaneously. Well even that is a bit of a lie - if all they are doing is browsing the data there are no problems. However as GSAK has not been set up to be true multi user, there are times (like when loading a GPX file) that the program needs exclusive use of the files and you will come unstuck.

Edited by ClydeE

I need a bit of help from some of you smart folks out there please.

I normally export from GSAK to a MapSource file using a waypoint name that is %drop2 %bugs=1 %typ1 maximum characters 8.

This works well for the GPSr and PDA but recently I have experimented with

%drop2%bugs=1(%Ter/%Dif) maximum characters 14.

The second choice gives me the info I want to print a map but I wish there was a way to switch back and forth easily without typing it every time. Any suggestions or am I outta luck?

Thanks.

I need a bit of help from some of you smart folks out there please.

I normally export from GSAK to a MapSource file using a waypoint name that is %drop2 %bugs=1 %typ1 maximum characters 8.

This works well for the GPSr and PDA but recently I have experimented with

%drop2%bugs=1(%Ter/%Dif) maximum characters 14.

The second choice gives me the info I want to print a map but I wish there was a way to switch back and forth easily without typing it every time. Any suggestions or am I outta luck?

Thanks.

That is what saved settings are for.

Just make all the changes you want then click on the save settings button and give your settings a meaningful name you will remember:

cap14.png

Now the next time you use this dialog just click on the settings drop down box to select your required named settings.

For more information please see the third quote in this post

Edited by ClydeE
Google Earth

This free tool is proving to be popular and I am considering a native export in the next version.

However, for those that "want it now" you can download the GoogleEarth.txt macro from http://gsak.net/Macros.php

This macro will automatically generate a temporary KML file, then show these waypoints in GE. The macro currently just sends down all the waypoints in your current filter, but it would not be hard to alter the selection if needed.

If this is a macro you would like to use often, then just add it to your tool bar..

I have made a slight tweak to this macro so that the waypoint name now shows the cache name, type, container, difficulty and terrain.

cap15.png

However, you can change this to suit yourself by altering the following line in the macro:

edtWaypoint.Text=%name %typ %con (%dif/%ter)

You can use any of the GSAK special tags after edtWaypoint.Text= to define what this name will display

Edited by ClydeE

Please help. When I try to run the "GoogleEarth.txt" macro I get an error that says "this file (gsak.kml) does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel"

I'm not sure what to do or what program to associate this file with.

Please help. When I try to run the "GoogleEarth.txt" macro I get an error that says "this file (gsak.kml) does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel"

One question... Did you install Google Earth on your PC?

It is a free download, but you do have to install it before you and use the KML assoation.

I guess I really don't understand much about this program. I didn't install Google Earth, I don't even know how to get it. I just thought it used the internet acces to run this macro. If you could tell me how to get it (Google Earth) I'll try to instl it.

Thanks so much for your help.

kml and kmz files are associated with Goggle Earth.

You can download Google Earth here earth.google.com.

ProsperoDK

Google Earth

This free tool is proving to be popular and I am considering a native export in the next version.

However, for those that "want it now" you can download the GoogleEarth.txt macro from http://gsak.net/Macros.php

This macro will automatically generate a temporary KML file, then show these waypoints in GE. The macro currently just sends down all the waypoints in your current filter, but it would not be hard to alter the selection if needed.

If this is a macro you would like to use often, then just add it to your tool bar..

I have made a slight tweak to this macro so that the waypoint name now shows the cache name, type, container, difficulty and terrain.

cap15.png

However, you can change this to suit yourself by altering the following line in the macro:

edtWaypoint.Text=%name %typ %con (%dif/%ter)

You can use any of the GSAK special tags after edtWaypoint.Text= to define what this name will display

The macro works like a charm. This is great, I was creating a GPX file and opening it with Google Earth. Now I have a short cut, thanks Clyde

I tried sending an email to Clyde at the address from GSAK About, and it was rejected twice. Anyone else have this problem?

I was reporting the following minor issue: Mapsource Export window does not select existing GDB files when I click the folder icon on the 'File to Create' dialog. GDB files should be selected as Mapsource Files when Mapsource V6 is specified.

Edited by KVOM
Google Earth

That's awesome, Clyde.

How about something similar for Google Maps?

Can you create a macro to load a Google Maps page with push pins for all of the filtered waypoints?

Thanks for your hard work!

I was reporting the following minor issue: Mapsource Export window does not select existing GDB files when I click the folder icon on the 'File to Create' dialog. GDB files should be selected as Mapsource Files when Mapsource V6 is specified.

Thanks. I will correct this in the next release.

Google Earth

That's awesome, Clyde.

How about something similar for Google Maps?

Can you create a macro to load a Google Maps page with push pins for all of the filtered waypoints?

Unfortunately that is a little (read much) harder and can't be done in a macro. To my knowledge you can only do this by using the Google API and there are some legal issues associated with using the API in this way that worry me.

However, you can display a single cache in Google maps or Google satellite by adding the following custom urls (Tools=>Options=>HTML):

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%ShortName=30)&hl=en

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%ShortName=30)&spn=0.020,0.020&t=k

Now just right mouse click on the cache and select "Custom URL"

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde, a few weeks ago I changed the location on my computer for my Palm files.

Now GSAK doesn't automatically put the Exported .pdb file in the Palm "Install Tool."

I have to manually do it from the Palm software, which is not a problem, but since it used to work, I would like to get it to work again.

Do you know what I need to do?

Now GSAK doesn't automatically put the Exported .pdb file in the Palm "Install Tool."

I have to manually do it from the Palm software, which is not a problem, but since it used to work, I would like to get it to work again.

Actually, I don't own a Palm so I am not sure exactly what you have done, or how to fix it.

However I will point you in the right diection, then perhaps another Palm user might be able to chime in.

GSAK interrogates your registry to find "instapp.exe", it then runs this application to put your file in the "Palm install tool"

GSAK interrogates HKEY_CURRENT_USER looking for the key '\Software\U.S. Robotics\Pilot Desktop\Core'

It then uses the "Path" element to find your instapp.exe and run it. Perhaps your active sync software needs to be reinstalled to syncronize the settings to your new paths.

I'd like to "misuse" a field but want to know if I'm going to get into trouble. :laughing:

All my caching is in one country so having "United States" in that field is not terribly useful. However, I do a lot of benchmark hunting, where "county" would be useful.

What bad would happen if I misread that heading (country/county) and started changing the data to what county the waypoint is in?

1. Do I lose my changed data with updates? I'm guessing "yes" (and I guess I'll know shortly), but since we don't have frequent updates of benchmarks, that's something I could deal with.

2. Anything else I should think about?

(I know county data is in the benchmark text, but it's just more convenient to have it readily visible and selectable faster.)

Edited by beejay&esskay
My magellan meridian gold only holds 200 wpt comments, and when it goes over that, it won't route with street names. Is there a way to have GSAK upload waypoints without comments? I don't use them anyway.

Yes. When sending waypoints to your GPS just delete what ever is in this box:

cap16.png

I'd like to "misuse" a field but want to know if I'm going to get into trouble. :laughing:

All my caching is in one country so having "United States" in that field is not terribly useful. However, I do a lot of benchmark hunting, where "county" would be useful.

What bad would happen if I misread that heading (country/county) and started changing the data to what county the waypoint is in?

1. Do I lose my changed data with updates? I'm guessing "yes" (and I guess I'll know shortly), but since we don't have frequent updates of benchmarks, that's something I could deal with.

2. Anything else I should think about?

(I know county data is in the benchmark text, but it's just more convenient to have it readily visible and selectable faster.)

The next version of GSAK will give you tools to work around this issue. My reply here applies to the latest public version of GSAK

1.  Do I lose my changed data with updates?  I'm guessing "yes" (and I guess I'll know shortly), but since we don't have frequent updates of benchmarks, that's something I could deal with.

Yes, unless you "lock" your waypoints. You could lock all of them with a global replace, but be aware that this will prevent any information on the waypoint from being updated when you next load a GPX file (new ones of course will still be added).

The other solution is to write a macro that updates the corresponding waypoints with the county information, then make sure you run this macro each time after loading your Benchmarking GPX file.

I'd like to "misuse" a field but want to know if I'm going to get into trouble.  :laughing:

All my caching is in one country so having "United States" in that field is not terribly useful.  However, I do a lot of benchmark hunting, where "county" would be useful.

1.  Do I lose my changed data with updates?  I'm guessing "yes" (and I guess I'll know shortly), but since we don't have frequent updates of benchmarks, that's something I could deal with.

2.  Anything else I should think about?

FWIW, I've been using the State field in this manner. Clyde made it pretty easy to convert the state value to the county as an "abbreviation".

First, filter as necessary to have the county's batch of BM (or, I prefer to convert each county after I have imported the relevant gpx file). Then, use Tool/Options/Abbreviations, change the abbreviation to the county name, then convert Full State to county.

Edited by embra

...I will point you in the right diection, then perhaps another Palm user might be able to chime in.

GSAK interrogates your registry to find "instapp.exe", it then runs this application to put your file in the "Palm install tool"

GSAK interrogates HKEY_CURRENT_USER looking for the key '\Software\U.S. Robotics\Pilot Desktop\Core'

It then uses the "Path" element to find your instapp.exe and run it. Perhaps your active sync software needs to be reinstalled to syncronize the settings to your new paths.

When you mentioned that you "changed the location on my computer for my Palm files" I cringed, because, depending on how you made the change, it's quite likely that the Windows registry was not updated to point to the new file locations, and that's what's tripping up GSAK. Clyde confirmed my suspicion in his explanation of how GSAK finds your Palm install tool.

As I longtime Palm user, I second what Clyde said - uninstall and reinstall your Palm apps (using the option to change the install location during the installation, if necessary) - that should correct the pointers in the Windows registry that GSAK (and other programs) depend on.

As an aside, I always go with the default settings when installing a program (let it put the files where it wants to) unless I have a REALLY good reason to change them (e.g. not enough disk space on C:). I've had too many experiences over the years of programs not being able to find themselves (e.g. when installing updates or upgrades, or when uninstalling) - it just isn't worth the hassles. Unless you have a really good reason for relocating your Palm files, I'd leave them in the default location.

after some weeks, now suddenly gsak refuses to start, everytime now Iget the exception log with the message: unable to write to gsak.ini file.

I uninstaaled, reinstalled, cleaned the rgister with any gsak in it, deleted only the gsak.ini file, nothing helps.

What can I do

I use windows xp, sp2

Ronald

after some weeks, now suddenly gsak refuses to start, everytime now Iget the exception log with the message: unable to write to gsak.ini file.

I uninstaaled, reinstalled, cleaned the rgister with any gsak in it, deleted only the gsak.ini file, nothing helps.

What can I do

I use windows xp, sp2

GSAK keeps all its settings in this file and needs to update it regularly.

For some reason there is something on your system that is preventing GSAK from writing to this file.

Check that you have permission to write to the install folder of GSAK, but I suspect the culprit is a virus scanner. If it has real time protection, then exempt the GSAK install folder from this scanning.

Had a similar problem and found in my case when downloading updates instead of saving the file to the hard drive I thought I would save space and run the file from the website. When I went back to saving the file then running it the problem was solved.

Actually, I don't own a Palm so I am not sure exactly what you have done, or how to fix it.

However I will point you in the right diection, then perhaps another Palm user might be able to chime in.

Thanks Clyde. I have my hard drive partitioned with the Program Files on D:\ and the data files on E:\. That is where the Palm backup files "live." I'll either reinstall the Palm software or do a little Registry editing to see if I can get it working again. Thanks for the help.

I am trying to export a Pocket Streets file for use on my iPAQ. GSAK exports it as a .pps file, but Pocket Streets on the iPAQ only opens (and searches for) .mps files.

I tried opening from the full version of MS Streets and Trips 2005 and exporting it, but there is no option available from that file extension.

Hopefully, I just need a small correction to how I am doing this, rather than exporting to a Streets and Trips text file first and then converting it to a Pocket Streets file each time.

Thanks

Edited by Grey Wolf and Wild Rice

I am trying to use the CachemateLog macro from the GSAK website, and am struggling at one point. The macro quite happily creates the batch file needed to run the cm2gpx, but the bat file doesn't actually do anything! I know that cm2gpx is working, as I can drag a pdb on to that and have it output a file. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?? <_<

The batch file is repeated below,

C:\Program Files\GSAK\cm2gpx.exe -f -o C:\ProgramFiles\GSAK\Macros\newfinds.gpx

C:\PROGRA~1\Palm\DKG\Backup\DEFAUL~1.PDB

(the first two lines are on the same line in the bat file, should that make a difference!)

Many thanks :ph34r:

Dave

PP, one thing to do is add a "pause" command in the batch file. This will keep the window open so you can read any screen output from cm2gpx. That will allow you to see any error messages.

Edit: One other thing I have in my batch file is that the I/O path/file name is in double quotes.

Edited by The Jester

okay, I've managed to get this to work - just needed to edit the batch file so that all lines were limited to 8 digit file paths, and everything works perfectly now. I do have one more question though. Having test run it a few times and had it fire up GC.com log windows for each cache (which I ignore, having logged them all ages ago) and clicked continue each time, it wants me to relog them all everytime i run the macro.

I like to keep all my waypoints in the default database. Can I do this and not have it wanting to relog all my old finds? If not, how can I have the logging macro move them automatically to a Founds database?

Thanks again, and sorry for being a pest!!

Dave

I am trying to export a Pocket Streets file for use on my iPAQ.  GSAK exports it as a .pps file, but Pocket Streets on the iPAQ only opens (and searches for) .mps files.

I tried opening from the full version of MS Streets and Trips 2005 and exporting it, but there is no option available from that file extension.

Hopefully, I just need a small correction to how I am doing this, rather than exporting to a Streets and Trips text file first and then converting it to a Pocket Streets file each time.

Thanks

In Pocket Streets, "mps" files are map files. GSAK doesn't supply the maps, it exports the waypoints in what Pocket Streets calls "Pushpin" files. These files have the "psp" extension, which is what GSAK exports when you choose File>Export>Pocket Streets.

According to the Microsoft Pocket Streets FAQ:

If the map that you want to upload to your mobile device contains Pushpins, that map has a corresponding Pushpin (.psp) file. You must copy both the map and the Pushpin files to the same folder on your device. If you want to copy the files to a Compact Flash card, you must first create a My Documents folder for the device on the Compact Flash card, and then copy the files to that folder.

Sounds like you either need to obtain the appropriate map files, or, if you already have the map files, you need to put the pushpin (psp) and map (mps) files in the same folder on your iPAQ.

okay, I've managed to get this to work - just needed to edit the batch file so that all lines were limited to 8 digit file paths, and everything works perfectly now. I do have one more question though. Having test run it a few times and had it fire up GC.com log windows for each cache (which I ignore, having logged them all ages ago) and clicked continue each time, it wants me to relog them all everytime i run the macro.

I like to keep all my waypoints in the default database. Can I do this and not have it wanting to relog all my old finds? If not, how can I have the logging macro move them automatically to a Founds database?

Thanks again, and sorry for being a pest!!

Dave

The CacheMateLog.txt macro defaults to automatically moving your found caches to another database, so it sounds like you must have already removed or commented out that part.

If you want to keep all your caches in the same database, you can still do this. However, you will need to change your saved "Found" filter so it only selects your current finds. I suggest you add something similar to the following to your found filter (then re save) for this:

cap18.png

Edited by ClydeE
I'm using v 6.0.2 (build=24) and when I hit Print->Print, nothing happens.

When I hit Print->Preview, the Grid looks great.

My printer is on, it's been printing from MapPoint all day just fine. It has ink and no errors reporting. Nothing is in my print queue.

Am I missing something?

Sounds like your print action associated with HTML files is not working correctly on your computer.

Just do the print preview, then select File=>Print from your browser window.

When I print a condensed HTML report on a set of caches, it contains most of the valuable information that one would want when hunting the cache. One piece that appears to be missing is the difficulty/terrain ratings. It seems like this information could be squeezed in pretty easily. I frequently want to know this so I know if I should expect to climb a tree to find it or if I can reach it from the ground. Is this information already there an I'm just being blind?

When I print a condensed HTML report on a set of caches, it contains most of the valuable information that one would want when hunting the cache. One piece that appears to be missing is the difficulty/terrain ratings. It seems like this information could be squeezed in pretty easily. I frequently want to know this so I know if I should expect to climb a tree to find it or if I can reach it from the ground. Is this information already there an I'm just being blind?

Please see this post

In Pocket Streets, "mps" files are map files.  GSAK doesn't supply the maps, it exports the waypoints in what Pocket Streets calls "Pushpin" files.  These files have the "psp" extension, which is what GSAK exports when you choose File>Export>Pocket Streets.

Thanks Kia Team for your help.

One of the confusing thing was that the .psp was trying to name that file the same as the map file when I generated it. I over-rode the name with one different than the map file and the pushpins never would show. Sometime you just have to trust the computer!

That GE macro for GSAK is awesome! It really helps someone preparing to hide their first couple plan on placing it in a cache sparse area. Really amazing stuff!

Yes, the free version of GE is pretty amazing and does just about everything a novice geocacher (and some of the more advanced ones :unsure: ) would want. It is a good place to start before forking over the bucks for the advanced mapping programs.

Unfortunately not all areas/countries have good satellite picture coverage so it won't suit everybody.

However, If you haven't taken it for a test drive I really recommend giving it a try ( though not required, a broadband connection does make this program a more pleasurable experience).

You can download Google Earth here http://earth.google.com/

You can download the GSAK macro to interface with Google Earth here http://gsak.net/Macros.php

Edited by ClydeE

Having Some Dramas - Importing From Email

Details:

GSAK Version 6.0.2 (Build 24)

Gmail Email Account

Windows XP

Using a "Get data from email" profile which I saved pre-V6, I have been unable to download the GPX files through my Gmail account.

Settings:

Username - 'username@gmail.com'

Password - 'PASSWORD'

POP3 Server - 'pop.gmail.com'

Port # - 995 (as per note regarding GMail)

SSL Login - Selected (as per note)

Only check new messages - Selected (tested both ways)

After matching download - Delete

If Attachment exists - Rename (by adding number)

Get files that match - Contains '[GEO] Pocket Query:' (ignore case)

Load folder... - Load '...Last active'

When I hit "Get Mail" I see a message "Connected OK. Getting msg headers..."

However I do not see the subjects flashing by in the statusbar, nor the download progress bar.

A second later the update status messages flash past (updating DNF, etc.) and the summary - 0 Added, 0 Archived, 0 Updated (or whatever it says)

Any ideas?

Having Some Dramas - Importing From Email

Details:

GSAK Version 6.0.2 (Build 24)

Gmail Email Account

Windows XP

Using a "Get data from email" profile which I saved pre-V6, I have been unable to download the GPX files through my Gmail account.

Settings:

Username - 'username@gmail.com'

Password - 'PASSWORD'

POP3 Server - 'pop.gmail.com'

Port # - 995 (as per note regarding GMail)

SSL Login - Selected (as per note)

Only check new messages - Selected (tested both ways)

After matching download - Delete

If Attachment exists - Rename (by adding number)

Get files that match - Contains '[GEO] Pocket Query:' (ignore case)

Load folder... - Load '...Last active'

When I hit "Get Mail" I see a message "Connected OK. Getting msg headers..."

However I do not see the subjects flashing by in the statusbar, nor the download progress bar.

A second later the update status messages flash past (updating DNF, etc.) and the summary - 0 Added, 0 Archived, 0 Updated (or whatever it says)

Any ideas?

The implementation of pop3 by Google mail does have some quirks - see the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs39000.htm

To force Google mail to make your messages visible to the pop3 client again log into your Google mail account, click on settings, then click on Fowarding and pop, then select the option "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)" then click on save changes and try the GSAK download again.

I had a computer crash yesterday (don't ask - the whole network went). GSAK was open at the time and, as usual, it recovered itself quite happily (and much quicker than previous versions - thanks Clyde.

The next time I ran GetMail it picked up all the old PQs rather than just the new ones. Subsequent GetMails worked fine.

I presume that GSAK uses UIDL to determine which mail is new. Is it possible that the data wasn't flushed to disk because of the crash, so it started at the beginning again?