Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Strange, because I usually find the help file gets me my answers for this sort of question. I could not find this in there. Maybe just me having an off search night.

Anyway, I want to change the columns displayed in one of my databases. I want these columns only for that db, however. When I get the columns the way I want in that db, they are changed in all my other databases also. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Forgive me if this has been brought up before. One of my uses for GSAK is to archive all my cache finds (I'm sure others do that too). That being the case, I really don't care about travelbugs that may or may not be in the cache, etc. Is there a way in GSAK to remove a travelbug that's listed to be in it?

Strange, because I usually find the help file gets me my answers for this sort of question. I could not find this in there. Maybe just me having an off search night.

Anyway, I want to change the columns displayed in one of my databases. I want these columns only for that db, however. When I get the columns the way I want in that db, they are changed in all my other databases also. What am I doing wrong?

Views are Global, not per database.

However, it is not hard to get around this.

Views can be saved (View=>Save Current view). So just set up all the views you need for every possible database. Now when you swap databases, just select the view via "View=>Select a view".

You can also use views in macros, so you could write a macro to automate this process (select the database and select the corresponding view)

Forgive me if this has been brought up before. One of my uses for GSAK is to archive all my cache finds (I'm sure others do that too). That being the case, I really don't care about travelbugs that may or may not be in the cache, etc. Is there a way in GSAK to remove a travelbug that's listed to be in it?

Just make sure the travel bug icon column is showing (see Tools=>Options=>Display if not). Now all you need to do is double click in the travel bug box to remove the travel bug.

To Clyde: The "Export to TomTom POI File" function, how would I get it to work? As I understand it it would generate a ov2 file out of an PQ? All I get is an error stating that the makeov2.exe crashes and nothing more. Do you have any tips&trix for working this out so we can use GSAK to export to TomTom? That would be a really NICE thing to have! Thanks for the BEST program ever!

To Clyde: The "Export to TomTom POI File" function, how would I get it to work? As I understand it it would generate a ov2 file out of an PQ? All I get is an error stating that the makeov2.exe crashes and nothing more. Do you have any tips&trix for working this out so we can use GSAK to export to TomTom? That would be a really NICE thing to have! Thanks for the BEST program ever!

The Makeov2.exe is just the file GSAK uses "Under the covers" to convert a CSV file to the TomTom POI format. I did not write this program - it is just the tool I use to do the conversion.

I haven't had any other reports of this program crashing, so I really don't have much of a clue what the problem could be. You could try running this program outside of GSAK to see if it gives you any idea why it is crashing.

However, from memory, GPSBabel now also supports TomTom POI format. So the work around for you would be to do a custom export (File=>Custom...) and use GPSBabel.exe to generate the file.

I think that I have found the export problem to Topo4... There must be a limitation field for the Message in Topo that simply crashes the whole process if it is over characters... in my syntax " %ShortName in %typ1/%con1 B=%bug %last4 %dif1/%ter1" if I add "%hint" or any combination "%hint=10" it will not work, the error is a bad .tpg file from Gsak...

Anyone else had this happen? I was so wanting to add the hints to my exports...

Okay,  I can't figure out why this time,  now that I am on a time crunch, I can't get things to work.  I have 86 waypoints on my sheet.  86 went into my gps but only 61 went into the palm for cachemate.  and I have reloaded and tried again and again.  It doesn't appear to be in the name or gc number but I need those waypoints in my palm.  What am I doing wrong?

You said it doesn't appear to be the name, but the most likely cause is that you have duplicate waypoint names. As you send them down to the Palm, duplicate names replace the ones sent before them instead of being added to the database, and you end up with fewer total caches in the database. This can happen when waypoints in a series or theme have similar names - e.g. Cache 1, Cache 2, Cache 3.

If you have the max characters for the waypoint name set low, or you're using the %Shortname tag for the waypoint name in the Cachemate export dialog, try using %Smart or %code or %drop2. Any of these should produce a unique name for each cache.

Edit: clarity

Edited by Kai Team

I was adding the -1 at the end of the gc1234 number so it read like gc1234-1, gc1234-2, up to gc1234-11, and so on. The gc-2 went in but for some reason any that were -1 didn't. For now I am changing all of them to a letter and it seems to work. Not sure why -19 would go in but -12 wouldn't. All I was trying to do was make waypoints for a multi with 20 waypoints and then it only took some. Oh well, a temp fix for now.

I was adding the -1 at the end of the gc1234 number so it read like gc1234-1, gc1234-2, up to gc1234-11, and so on.  The gc-2 went in but for some reason any that were -1 didn't.  For now I am changing all of them to a letter and it seems to work.  Not sure why -19 would go in but -12 wouldn't.  All I was trying to do was make waypoints for a multi with 20 waypoints and then it only took some.  Oh well, a temp fix for now.

Glad to hear you have a workaround and thanks for letting us know the outcome! I have no idea why it would accept -19 but not -12. I'm sure either ClydeE or Robert Lipe can offer a better explantion, but I've found that using hyphens ("-") is unreliable at best. The only delimiter I've consistently had success with is a space (e.g. GC1234 1).

Kai Team//Riddler: Dashes work fine in formats that support dashes. Garmin is the notable exception for being flaky with dashes. Their spec forbids it, yet their firmware allows it on some models and Mapsource allows it. From what I can figure out, Riddler's question was about CacheMate and GPSBabel isn't involved in that process, so I'd have to defer to Maeglin on that.

Bosstracker, if you can tell me exactly which fields in the tpg format have limits and what those limits are, I can enforce it in GPSBabel. (As an aside, if the have limits on waypoint name or description that's below 255 characters, that's just lame since both those fields have a "length" byte before them that could/should be used to correctly size things...)

Views are Global, not per database.

However, it is not hard to get around this.

Views can be saved (View=>Save Current view). So just set up all the views you need for every possible database. Now when you swap databases, just select the view via "View=>Select a view".

You can also use views in macros, so you could write a macro to automate this process (select the database and select the corresponding view)

Ok, I don't feel so bad that I could not get it to work for each database. Just seemed intuitive that if I changed the view for one data base that should not change it for other databases. Most db's I set up use the same view, but I have a couple that contain different types of caches and I want some specific columns for those.

It seems like you are saying if I knew how to use macros, I could set them up to display the view I want automatically for a database when that db is opened. Since I have not learned how to use macros yet, I can use your first suggestion of saving views and just switching whenever I am in the db's in question.

Thanks.

Is there a way to add a column that is automatically full of numbers starting at one up to however many caches you have in your current filter?

I would use this mostly for determining my own statistics such as figure out:

100th Traditional

100th Cache

100th Multi

etc.

Basically just a column with numbers that doesn't change when you sort. I looked in the display option and didn't see it there.

Thanks

-ben

Is there a way to add a column that is automatically full of numbers starting at one up to however many caches you have in your current filter?

I would use this mostly for determining my own statistics such as figure out:

100th Traditional

100th Cache

100th Multi

etc.

Basically just a column with numbers that doesn't change when you sort. I looked in the display option and didn't see it there.

Thanks

-ben

No.

Best we can offer at the moment is to right mouse click on a waypoint and select "Show current row number"

The other work around would be to write a macro that would do this for you.

I scanned the whole thread but didn't find the answer. I am trying to change the icons for the different caches. I DL'ed the zip of the icons, they are on my 76CS and show up in Mapsource. The problem is when I try to get them to DL into Mapsource from GSAK, they convert to "other random" icons. I created the GarminOther.txt file and the names I gave the icons showed up there. What is the naming convention for that file? I have tried 000 and 000.bmp which is the actual name of the file. For what ever reason, I don't think the GarminOther.txt is pointing to the correct files.

I scanned the whole thread but didn't find the answer.  I am trying to change the icons for the different caches.  I DL'ed the zip of the icons, they are on my 76CS and show up in Mapsource.  The problem is when I try to get them to DL into Mapsource from GSAK, they convert to "other random" icons.  I created the GarminOther.txt file and the names I gave the icons showed up there.  What is the naming convention for that file?  I have tried 000 and 000.bmp which is the actual name of the file.  For what ever reason, I don't think the GarminOther.txt is pointing to the correct files.

I have some custom icons setup on my 60CS and the contents of my "GarminOther.txt" file (which resides in the main GSAK installation directory) is :

Custom 0; Multi
Custom 1; Micro
Custom 2; Trad
Custom 3; L'less
Custom 4; Event
Custom 5; Virtual
Custom 6; Mystery
Custom 7; WebCam
Custom 8; Earth
Custom 9; Letterbox
Custom 10; TrigPt

HTH

When running the GETMAIL function with gmail as the host, everything seems to go OK with the downloading of the mail files, but I only end up with one file.

I guess what I was expecting was a separate file for each PQ.

Anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

When you say you only end up with "one file", do you mean that all of the PQ's end up in one GSAK database? If so, you may be downloading multiple PQ's (files) into the same folder, with the "Load folder of saved attachments into current database when download finishes?" box checked in the GetMail dialog.

To load different PQ's into different databases, you need to save GSAK "Get Mail" settings for each PQ. The mail settings would stay the same, but you would change the "folder to save attachments" and "Get Files that Match" settings. You can save each set of settings for easy reuse. You can also run them all with a macro if you'd like, and assign the macro to a button for one click access to have each PQ downloaded and loaded into a separate database.

Edited by Kai Team
When running the GETMAIL function with gmail as the host, everything seems to go OK with the downloading of the mail files, but I only end up with one file.

Thanks.

You should have a separate file for each emailed Pq file in your target directory/folder.

Can you provide more details of the GetMail settings you are using? Also how many files you are seeing in your GMail account prior to using GetMail, what makes you 'think' you are only ending up with one file? Give us more to go on and we may be able to assist :rolleyes: .

Edited to add: Kai Team beat me to it.

Edited by Motley Crew

Yes, you should get one file for each PQ downloaded.

Check what you have for your matching criteria - perhaps it is only matching the one subject line and hence you are only getting one file.

Motley,

Using what you posted, are you able to DL into Mapsource or do you have to go directly to the GPSr? What are your file names in the My Garmin folder?

Pleas note that the names must be:

Custom 0

Custom 1

Custom 2

Custom....

Using something like

Custom 00

Custom 01

Custom ...

Will not work.

OK, so in the GarminOther they need to be named Custom 0, etc. But Mapsource requires the files to be named 000.bmp, etc. Am I understanding this correctly? Do these files need to be somewhere in addition to the My Garmin folder?

If you are using MapSource, then make sure when you do the export from GSAK you select GDB format - MPS format does not support custom icons.

OK, so in the GarminOther they need to be named Custom 0, etc.  But Mapsource requires the files to be named 000.bmp, etc.  Am I understanding this correctly?  Do these files need to be somewhere in addition to the My Garmin folder?

The 000.bmp through 023.bmp are in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Garmin\ on my system.

They should not need to be anywhere else.

As Clyde says also ensure you use the GSAK GDB export format.

HTH

Check what you have for your matching criteria - perhaps it is only matching the one subject line and hence you are only getting one file.

I'm at a loss as to where to start. Does anyone have an example of a GETMAIL macro that downloads several PQs so I can use it as an example?

Thanks.

I'm at a loss as to where to start. Does anyone have an example of a GETMAIL macro that downloads several PQs so I can use it as an example?

Thanks.

You don't need a macro to do this. There is a screen shot in the GSAK help file that shows you how to set this up. Too navigate to the relevant page ...

1. Open GSAK

2. Select the "get data via Email' from the File menu.

3. Press the "Help" button.

4. Insert your username & password in the relevant box.

5. Check the pop server name and port number are correct (Port 110 normally or 995 for Gmail)

5. Select the "folder to save attachments" to suit your system.

6. The other settings on the help page should be ok.

Now press 'get mail' and you are off - all your PQ attachments should be downloaded and saved individually to the folder you specified.

Now you can load them using your normal method. Tip - if you 'save' your normal method you can automatically load the files after Getmail has downloaded them by ticking the 'Load' box in the Getmail dialogue window then select the 'saved' settings.

Save the Getmail dialogue window too to save all the settings.

HTH

Thanks.

You don't need a macro to do this. There is a screen shot in the GSAK help file that shows you how to set this up. Too navigate to the relevant page ...

1. Open GSAK

2. Select the "get data via Email' from the File menu.

3. Press the "Help" button.

4. Insert your username & password in the relevant box.

5. Check the pop server name and port number are correct (Port 110 normally or 995 for Gmail)

5. Select the "folder to save attachments" to suit your system.

6. The other settings on the help page should be ok.

Now press 'get mail' and you are off - all your PQ attachments should be downloaded and saved individually to the folder you specified.

Now you can load them using your normal method. Tip - if you 'save' your normal method you can automatically load the files after Getmail has downloaded them by ticking the 'Load' box in the Getmail dialogue window then select the 'saved' settings.

Save the Getmail dialogue window too to save all the settings.

HTH

This is what I have been doing, but instead of ending up with a separate file for each PQ, I only have one. It isn't a composite of all the PQs, but just one of the PQs. The others are missing.

When the procedure is underway, whenever a PQ e-mail is found, I can see that it is being downloaded (the bar tracking the percentage of the download). But no file is created in the folder that I have chosen for the folder to save the attachments.

This is what I have been doing, but instead of ending up with a separate file for each PQ, I only have one.  It isn't a composite of all the PQs, but just one of the PQs.  The others are missing.

When the procedure is underway, whenever a PQ e-mail is found, I can see that it is being downloaded (the bar tracking the percentage of the download).  But no file is created in the folder that I have chosen for the folder to save the attachments.

Do all the files you are downloading have the same name? If so you need to tick the "rename by adding number box".

I'm at a loss as to where to start.  Does anyone have an example of a GETMAIL macro that downloads several PQs so I can use it as an example?

Thanks.

The GSAK macro language has gotten pretty complex (I don't pretend to have mastered it), but you can write a simple macro if you want to automate the GetMail and load functions. You write the macro in any text editor (e.g. Notepad) and save it in the "Macro" folder of your install folder of GSAK (e.g. C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros).

Assuming you have three PQ's that you want to load into three different databases, the macro would look like this:

GETMAIL Settings="name"

LOAD Settings="name1" File="path\file1" database="name1"

LOAD Settings="name2" File="path\file2" database="name2"

LOAD Settings="name3" File="path\file3" database="name3"

Before creating or running the macro, define (select the options you want) and save (click on "save" and type in a name):

GetMail settings (File=>Get data via email)

Load settings (File>Load).

You also have to create the databases you want the PQ's stored in(Database>New).

Substitute the names of the GetMail and Load settings and Databases you created for each instance above. The Path\File settings that you use in the GetMail to save your files should be the same as the one you use in the Loads (they have to be fully qualified paths, e.g. "c:\program files\GSAK\My Files\1234.GPX"

See GSAK help under Help>Contents>Using GSAK>Automating GSAK for more information on each of these macro commands. Note the link in the first paragraph of this help page for "allocate Macros to tool buttons").

Edit: I just saw your subsequent post - a macro won't fix the problem if it's not working when you try it manually - the macro just automates what you would do manually, so you have to figure that our first.

Edited by Kai Team

I'm not having a problem with the LOAD part of my macro.

My problem is with the GETMAIL function.

Example: 5 PQs on gmail.com. GSAK goes out, appears to be downloading the PQ files, but they don't show up in the specified folder.

Thanks to everyone trying to help.

Craig

I'm not having a problem with the LOAD part of my macro.

My problem is with the GETMAIL function.

Example:  5 PQs on gmail.com.  GSAK goes out, appears to be downloading the PQ files, but they don't show up in the specified folder.

Thanks to everyone trying to help.

Craig

Have you downloaded these same files via GSAK previously? If so GSAK won't download them again as it 'knows' it has already done so.

To get round this (if using Gmail) you can go to 'settings', 'forwarding & pop' and then tick 'Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)'.

Then ensure that in the GSAK Getmail function you have 'only check new messages' unchecked.

Edited by Motley Crew

Could someone please explain the advantage of the getmail function in GSAK. It seems to me that a lot of effort went in to this funciton and many more hours of technical support have been laid out in this forum.

I understand how it can be labor saving, BUT, if you don't use getmail, it is about a three click operation to get the file from email to GSAK, save the attachment from email, open GSAK, and then open the attachment. I just don't see where the savings are.

I use macros to filter a file of waypoints, delete archived ones, delete any waypoints whose last to entries are DNF's, send these to cachemate, sent them to mapsource, send them to my GPS. That is a labor saving task. But I just don't get why the complex function of getmail exists to get a file from email to GSAK. Thanks.

I understand how it can be labor saving, BUT, if you don't use getmail, it is about a three click operation to get the file from email to GSAK, save the attachment from email, open GSAK, and then open the attachment. I just don't see where the savings are.

For multiple Pocket Queries it's a time saver (one click)

I understand how it can be labor saving, BUT, if you don't use getmail, it is about a three click operation to get the file from email to GSAK, save the attachment from email, open GSAK, and then open the attachment.  I just don't see where the savings are.   

Well, that makes sense. I only run one area so that is why I was confused. When I head back home, to Baja from Northern California, I am going to do caches along a route and that will be multiple PQ's but only once so I couldn't see doing all the prep for the getmail command. Thanks.

I understand how it can be labor saving, BUT, if you don't use getmail, it is about a three click operation to get the file from email to GSAK, save the attachment from email, open GSAK, and then open the attachment.  I just don't see where the savings are.   

Well, that makes sense. I only run one area so that is why I was confused. When I head back home, to Baja from Northern California, I am going to do caches along a route and that will be multiple PQ's but only once so I couldn't see doing all the prep for the getmail command. Thanks.

Also if you have multiple databases the getmail command will make sure the right data goes to the right DB. Yeah, it's only a couple of clicks, but have you ever tried to back out 500 waypoints from the wrong DB? It's not too bad if you always have the user flag set, but without that...

Is there a way to get the GUID into a URL? Also, what is a WptTypeID? Basically, I'm trying to create a shortcut to bookmark caches.

An url from one of the pages is: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/mark.a...6a6&WptTypeID=2

I looked in help and couldn't find anything that would pull these out, of corse, I may be blind! :(

Groundspeak don't actually ship the GUI ID for a cache in the GPX file per se.

However, it is contained in the URL . So as a work around to pull out the GUID you could use the %macro tag in your custom URL if you really needed it.

As for the WptTypeID, I personally don't know as it is a Groundspeak item. Some other GSAK user might be able to help you out on this one, or you may have to ask your question again in a more Groundspeak specific thread.

Is there a way to get the GUID into a URL?  Also, what is a WptTypeID?  Basically, I'm trying to create a shortcut to bookmark caches.

An url from one of the pages is: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/mark.a...6a6&WptTypeID=2

I looked in help and couldn't find anything that would pull these out, of corse, I may be blind!  :rolleyes:

Groundspeak don't actually ship the GUI ID for a cache in the GPX file per se.

However, it is contained in the URL . So as a work around to pull out the GUID you could use the %macro tag in your custom URL if you really needed it.

As for the WptTypeID, I personally don't know as it is a Groundspeak item. Some other GSAK user might be able to help you out on this one, or you may have to ask your question again in a more Groundspeak specific thread.

I have the same question.

I like to access this page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.aspx?guid=<the cache guid>) via custom URL in GSAK to get all the images for the selected cache.

Therefor I need the GUID.

How do I extract it from the url?

Best regards,

Mikael Klingbjer - TeamGoonies

have the same question.

I like to access this page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.aspx?guid=<the cache guid>) via custom URL in GSAK to get all the images for the selected cache.

Therefor I need the GUID.

How do I extract it from the url?

Ok, the following 2 steps should do it:

1. Create a macro with the following code and call it guid.txt - for the this example I am going to save the macro file as "c:\gsak\macros\guid.txt" but you can save this macro file anywhere you like. (just be sure you know the path to where you saved this file as you need it in step 2)

SpeedMode Status=off
$_Special = extract($d_Url,"=",2)

2. Add the following custom URL (Tools=>Options=>HTML):

Picture Gallery=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.aspx?guid=%macro="c:\gsak\macros\guid.txt"

Just change the section in bold to correspond to the fully qualified path of where you saved your guid.txt file.

Done :rolleyes:

Edit: If you need to understand how this voodoo works, please see the %macro "special tag" in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs10300.htm

Edited by ClydeE

I'm still new to GSAK & just learning all the functions. I have loaded PQs for all the areas near me and individually loaded caches that I got while out of my normal area so that I could track all my finds in one GSAK database. (I also have other db files for specific areas.

I noticed my counts don't quite add up. GC.com states I have one more than on GSAK. I think the difference is the one travel bug I logged as I noticed GC.com adds those to my count. I haven't been able to find a way to download a TB as a gpx file. Is there a way to add the TB to GSAK to make my counts match?

Thanks.

Libby

I'm still new to GSAK & just learning all the functions. I have loaded PQs for all the areas near me and individually loaded caches that I got while out of my normal area so that I could track all my finds in one GSAK database. (I also have other db files for specific areas.

I noticed my counts don't quite add up. GC.com states I have one more than on GSAK. I think the difference is the one travel bug I logged as I noticed GC.com adds those to my count. I haven't been able to find a way to download a TB as a gpx file. Is there a way to add the TB to GSAK to make my counts match?

Thanks.

Libby

TB's do not 'count' in your Cache finds total.

Is your GSAK database in synch with GC.com? By that I mean have you downloaded a PQ AFTER your latest 'find'?

Have you set up GSAK to match your user name correctly? (In your case 350625 or Reddgroom).

Travel bugs do not count towards your found totals.

The main reason why your found count does match that at Groundspeak is archived caches.

Unlike temporary disabled caches, archived caches are never sent to you in a PQ. So if one of your finds has now been archived it will not be in the GPX files you download and hence not show up in GSAK as a found.

You will need to track down which cache this is then dowload the single GPX file from the cache page (this is the only way you can get archived caches in a GPX file)

For a discussion and work around for archived caches in GSAK please see post in this thread starting here

Thanks.

Libby

Further to my earlier post there is always the chance that one of the caches you have 'found' may have since been archived and consequently will not show up in a 'general area' Pq. To check this organise yourself a PQ for that returns the caches 'that you have found'. This should help to reconcile your correct finds totals. <_<