Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

A couple of other little things I'd like to do via GSAK if possible:

1.  Export a file to Excel to show a month by month chart of the number of caches I have found.

You can easily do this with the GSAK export function. First, filter for your finds. Then make sure you have the information (columns) that you want in the Excel file showing in the GSAK grid display. Sort your finds by date found (click on the "Found By Me" column heading). Then do File>Export>CSV or Text and tell GSAK where to save the file (and whether to use CSV (comma) or Tab Delimited text (Excel will import either, so it's a matter of personal preference).

Open Excel, go to File>Open, change "Files of Type" to "All Files", navigate to the text file generated by GSAK and open the file in Excel. Excel will ask you a few questions about how to parse the file, then open it and voila - you have what you want.

Edit: If you want the number of caches in a "chart" (vs. data table), use the Excel count functions (count, counta, countif, depending on the approach you take) to generate numbers by month, then the Excel charting functions to create the chart.

2.  Keep a webpage of my finds updated with as little manual data entry as possible.  I know there are TOS issues here, but I don't intend to have PQ type data available for others to grab, just hoping to get my history current and keep it that way without hours of work.  My page is very basic (I think), but manually updating it take a fair amount of time.  You can see the VERY out of date page at www.gnbrotz.com/geocaching.

This depends on what software you're using to create your page. I think if you're using Front Page, you can copy and paste the Excel file created above into your webpage and it will be converted to HTML, but I'm not sure. (You'd obviously have to massage the Excel file first to get the data and the format that you want).

Edited by Kai Team
Sometimes when there is more than 5 visits at a given cache between PQ's you will miss some logs in GSAK....How can I add those missing logs in GSAK?

If this is happening to you a lot, the easiest thing to do would be to get your PQ's more frequently.

Thanks for the reply!

This is mostly happening after a cache event or other caches I have put where there is high traffic per day.

This particular PQ is already generated once a day.

I don't think I can live with a GSAK style log entry. I really need the same entry format as are other logs belonging to a specific geocacher.

The main purpose of having all these logs is to generate a cross reference report for all my placed caches using a GPX generated file from GSAK. As an exemple, I have a series of caches that you need to get all of them in order to have the information needed to search for some extra mystery caches. I want to show geocachers their progression about that series. It is also a cute report for all of my other caches. I can send you a sample if you like to look at it. My final goal would be to put this executable in public domain for all geocachers to use it when done. But with the lack of some log entries this report is not valid for the moment.

One thing that could be worked out would be to develop an application that could generate a GPX out of the long HTML page with all the logs.

This way we could just load the outputted GPX back in GSAK for updating the data.

Is this kind of HTML2GPX application exist?

Regards

Does GSAK automatically update waypoints you have stored that i have downloaded from the geocaching website? meaning: i download the .gpx file format, loaded it into GASK, and i can view who recently found it and info by viewing waypoint in offline brower. do these update themselves at all or do i need to download the file again and reload it in?

This depends on what software you're using to create your page. I think if you're using Front Page, you can copy and paste the Excel file created above into your webpage and it will be converted to HTML, but I'm not sure. (You'd obviously have to massage the Excel file first to get the data and the format that you want).

Unfortunately, I haven't settled on an application to do this. The data that currently exists was all manually entered and coded from scratch. :D

Perhaps this is the first step I need to take for progress to occur. ;)

Sometimes when there is more than 5 visits at a given cache between PQ's you will miss some logs in GSAK....How can I add those missing logs in GSAK?

If this is happening to you a lot, the easiest thing to do would be to get your PQ's more frequently.

Thanks for the reply!

You're welcome - sorry I couldn't come up with what you need.

One thing that could be worked out would be to develop an application that could generate a GPX out of the long HTML page with all the logs.

This way we could just load the outputted GPX back in GSAK for updating the data.

Regards

I think this might violate the gc.com Terms of Use, although I don't know how big an issue it would be for gc.com if you did it occassionally to pick up missing logs on a cache or two.

Maybe Clyde or others will have a suggestion. Again, sorry I couldn't help.

Does GSAK automatically update waypoints you have stored that i have downloaded from the geocaching website?  meaning:  i download the .gpx file format, loaded it into GASK, and i can view who recently found it and info by viewing waypoint in offline brower.  do these update themselves at all or do i need to download the file again and reload it in?

The easiest thing to do, since you're a Premium Member of geocaching.com, is to use "Pocket Queries". Make sure you're logged in at gc.com and then go to: http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ to generate a pocket query. Your PQ will be emailed to you on the day you specify, and can contain up to 500 waypoints (caches).

Each time you receive a new Pocket Query, you load it into GSAK, and GSAk will update your existing waypoints and add new ones. See this post on the previous page.

Does GSAK automatically update waypoints you have stored that i have downloaded from the geocaching website?  meaning:  i download the .gpx file format, loaded it into GASK, and i can view who recently found it and info by viewing waypoint in offline brower.  do these update themselves at all or do i need to download the file again and reload it in?

The easiest thing to do, since you're a Premium Member of geocaching.com, is to use "Pocket Queries". Make sure you're logged in at gc.com and then go to: http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ to generate a pocket query. Your PQ will be emailed to you on the day you specify, and can contain up to 500 waypoints (caches).

Each time you receive a new Pocket Query, you load it into GSAK, and GSAk will update your existing waypoints and add new ones. See this post on the previous page.

i saw that function... but it only sends you .loc files. i want to use the other format... or is there not big of difference?

I just upgraded from Version 6.0.1 to 6.0.2. Now GSAK can't open the com port to send Waypoints to my GPSr. I also registered at the same time.

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. Unfortunately I don't have a com port on my computer so I have a USB to Com adapter.

What really confuses me is I change the data on my Garmin and can hook it up to my Microsoft Streets and Trips with no problem. But GSAK gives me an error:

"

Error sending waypoints:

[ERROR] CreatFile: The system cannot find the file specified.

GARMIN: Can't init COM4

"

Any idea what went wrong?

I just upgraded from Version 6.0.1 to 6.0.2. Now GSAK can't open the com port to send Waypoints to my GPSr. I also registered at the same time.

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. Unfortunately I don't have a com port on my computer so I have a USB to Com adapter.

What really confuses me is I change the data on my Garmin and can hook it up to my Microsoft Streets and Trips with no problem. But GSAK gives me an error:

"

Error sending waypoints:

[ERROR] CreatFile: The system cannot find the file specified.

GARMIN: Can't init COM4

"

Any idea what went wrong?

Did you try changing the com port in GSAK?

Yeah - and I did a scan with MS Maps to make sure it was also using port 4. Then I checked my driver.

But a little extra testing has shown it isn't GSAK. I used an old version of MapSource and that is also having problems. So the problem is probably in the driver for my USB - Com port hardware or with the hardware itself. Or I might have damaged the wiring enough to prevent send to the unit but not back to the computer?

Looks like I'll have to call the converters tech support. ;)

I want to register my copy of GSAK useing my visa card. When I filled out the information form it said something to the effect that my e-mail address has a pay-pal account and cannot proceed. I think this is an account my wife created long ago and used my e-mail address. How can I bypass this and get this regestered?? Nag screen is starting to "nag" me. I'm drinking way to much coffee these days waiting.

But a little extra testing has shown it isn't GSAK. I used an old version of MapSource and that is also having problems. So the problem is probably in the driver for my USB - Com port hardware or with the

I think Windows defaults to exclusive opens on the com ports, so if program A has COM4 open, program B can't open it at the same time.

Try it from a fresh reboot before any othe rprogram has had a chance to commandeer the ports.

I'm having a minor problem with the 'get mail' feature (using a gmail account). Not a bug per se, but I hope something that can be addressed by tweaking my gmail settings.

I get a regular PQ with the closest caches to me. Also, on a less regular basis, I pull one with my own finds. I have mail settings for each, but my problem is that when I run the process to update my closest to home, the 'finds' e-mail also gets scanned over, and even though it's not downloaded it is now skipped over when I next try to update my 'finds'. If I run the 'finds' first, the others then won't come in. My guess is that the scanning process marks these messages as 'read', thus one scan (any scan), makes the next scan useless. Short of creating seperate e-mail addresses for each query, is there something I can do to fix this?

It sounds like you have the "Only check new messages" box checked (on the Get Mail dialog). Uncheck this for both settings and that should correct your problem.

i saw that function... but it only sends you .loc files. i want to use the other format... or is there not big of difference?

Not true I'm afraid.

Take a look at the 3rd to last 'selection' box on the 'New Pocket Query' page. There you will find a pull down menu where you can choose GPX or Loc files (the default is GPX). I'd advise you to accept the default 'Compress files into *.zip format' as well - GSAK handles this format natively.

HTH

But a little extra testing has shown it isn't GSAK.  I used an old version of MapSource and that is also having problems.  So the problem is probably in the driver for my USB - Com port hardware or with the

I think Windows defaults to exclusive opens on the com ports, so if program A has COM4 open, program B can't open it at the same time.

Try it from a fresh reboot before any othe rprogram has had a chance to commandeer the ports.

Lo and behold it works. I was trying the reboot like you mentioned - good idea but it didn't work.

What I think was happenning is I was leaving my GPS cable plugged into the converter when I plugged the converter into the laptop. All I know is that it works now! Yeah!

Thank you for all the help.

I am sorry I need a little help. In the custom export section, how would I enter a command to tell gps babel to export to a lowranceusr file? Kinda new here on that one. I will keep reading in the help section and on the gps babel website in hope I can figure it out, but am hoping that someone might have a better knowledge of the inner workings and be able to give me a shortcut.

I am sorry I need a little help. In the custom export section, how would I enter a command to tell gps babel to export to a lowranceusr file? Kinda new here on that one. I will keep reading in the help section and on the gps babel website in hope I can figure it out, but am hoping that someone might have a better knowledge of the inner workings and be able to give me a shortcut.

Your post even included what's likely the optimal key word (lowranceusr) to use in the search feature. :-) The most pertinent is probably this one:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...0entry1635892

I am sorry I need a little help. In the custom export section, how would I enter a command to tell gps babel to export to a lowranceusr file? Kinda new here on that one. I will keep reading in the help section and on the gps  babel website in hope I can figure it out, but am hoping that someone might have a better knowledge of the inner workings and be able to give me a shortcut.

Your post even included what's likely the optimal key word (lowranceusr) to use in the search feature. :-) The most pertinent is probably this one:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...33;entry1635892

I do beleve that post answered the question directly. I knew it could be done. Thanks much.

Regards

I think this might violate the gc.com Terms of Use, although I don't know how big an issue it would be for gc.com if you did it occassionally to pick up missing logs on a cache or two.

Yes, looking at this, it would appear the only way to get those logs under the current Groundspeak set up would be write such a conversion program.

I had a quick look at the HTML code generated from the log page and it would seem that all the information needed to generated each log entry is there.

This then only leaves the question of legality of actaully writing such a utility to do this.

Regards

Yes, looking at this, it would appear the only way to get those logs under the current Groundspeak set up would be write such a conversion program.

I had a quick look at the HTML code generated from the log page and it would seem that all the information needed to generated each log entry is there.

This then only leaves the question of legality of actaully writing such a utility to do this.

Following on .....

After a bit research and help from another GSAK user I have chased down 2 items of interest:

1. There actaully is such a utility already in existance. Just google html2gpx

2. There is thread already started that references the short comings of only 5 logs in a PQ and can be found here

Like many issues of this nature I believe it is better fixed at the source. Please read the thread referenced in point 2 and add any comments as required.

OK -

Now I am only thinking 'out loud' here so stick with me -

#1 - on any cache page there is a link to view ALL logs on one page -

yes? still with me here?

#2 - you can download the gpx for any given cache page on the system

yes? Still with me?

#3 - and the 'punch line' if you will -

#3 - a - do #1

#3 - b - do #2

#3 - c - open the gpx in a text editor

#3 - d - highlight and copy all the needed text (the logs) from #1

#3 - e - paste it into the gpx

#3 - f - do what editing is necessary to make the pasted text follow gpx format and save it

wola!!!

You now have a gpx for a cache that has ALL the logs in it.

this does not seem like such a big deal for the stated few caches and is not

rocket science -

whatcha think?

========================

edit - well I guess that is what I get for thinking before I try it -

uglyness abounds -

first the gpx is not a simple file

second the source file for a cache page really sucks

so this is not an easy conversion - in fact, the HTML2GPX program

does not look like a trivial application to write -

but having seen the need, if there is someone out there that wants to

do this, I sure would be interested. No one answered that question

from above - does this application already exist?

===========================

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

hmmm....

y'all might want to check out this link

looks interesting -

looks like this topic has been bounced around - this is linux related but

hay - it's a start -

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=html2gpx

there is actually a linux program to do what we want -

http://geo.rkkda.com/geo-html2gpx

now, is there a way to get this to work in Windows?

Robert Lipe - is this something that your program might do?

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

Duplicated Coordinates in logs?

I just had a report from a GSAK user that noticed the coordinates he entered for a log were then duplicated in some of the following logs (not his) when loading the next PQ

While trying to track down the problem I interrogated the PQ he sent me and low and behold the source data had the duplicated entries in it. It seems this duplication only happens on caches where the user has logged coordinates for a find and then these caches are sent by a PQ (not from the single GPX download from the cache page)

The PQ he sent me looked like it came directly from Groundspeak (I am waiting on confirmation that it has not been massaged by some 3rd party utility first), so on the surface it would seem to be a Groundspeak issue.

Anyone else run into this problem or have an explanation for it?

Edit: Yep, the GPX file was directly from Groundspeak. So unless this is somehow a new "feature" in PQ's I am going to call this a bug in the generation of PQ's (user is currently chasing this upstream)

Edited by ClydeE

Google maps - custom URL's

To be honest I am not sure of the exact syntax requirements for the google custom URL's. By in large, they have been generated by trial and error.

The current recommendations are:

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%name)&hl=en

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%name)&spn=0.020,0.020&t=k

However, I have had reports that some of the cache names cause these urls not to display them correctly. I haven't pin pointed the exact logic of why not, but there appears to problems with some special characters and sometimes spaces.

My latest recommendation is to use the %shortname tag instead of the %name tag. The %shortname tag works very much like the %smart name tag, in that it removes spaces and special characters. I suggest you change your custom google URL's (Tools=>Options=>HTML) to:

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%shortname=30)&hl=en

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%shortname=30)&spn=0.020,0.020&t=k

Edited by ClydeE

I have a macro that I am trying to use based on my previous post wanting two line exports for Mapsource or DeLorme.

This is the macro I am trying to use;

# two.line.txt - A macro to generate a two line text for use as a special tag

# The value returned is saved into $_Special

SET $_Special = "%drop2-%con1%typ1-%dif1%ter1-%bug%notGC%code"

SET $_Special = $_Special + $_NewLine + "%name"

RETURN

# Installation instructions:

# Save this text file as c:\temp\two.line.txt

# [ Note: you can put it in another directory if you like ]

# Enter this special tag: %macro="c:\temp\two.line.txt"

I get the error;

"Error in Macro Line 6

Set$_Special= "%drop2-%con1%typ1-%dif%ter-%bug%notGC%code"

Error => Invalid Expression in Macro.

Macro will now abort."

Ideas?

Google maps - custom URL's

However, I have had reports that some of the cache names cause these urls not to display them correctly. I haven't pin pointed the exact logic of why not, but there appears to problems with some special characters and sometimes spaces.

I think there are two rules that come into play.

1) URIs must be correctly encoded. Spaces, slashes, ampersands, and so on must be enscaped before use in a CGI argument. (That's your '%20 thing, though that's just the tip of that iceberg.)

2) The word "to" is captured by the Google routing engine as it thinks you're trying to describe a polyline/route (i.e. "Denver to Phoenix".) Many caches contain the word "to" in the name and therefore cause a hiccup. Exhibit A is GCPAAP

Note the obvious link fails but if you manually edit out the word "to" from the cache name itdoes work

I have a macro that I am trying to use based on my previous post wanting two line exports for Mapsource or DeLorme.

This is the macro I am trying to use;

# two.line.txt - A macro to generate a two line text for use as a special tag

# The value returned is saved into $_Special

SET $_Special = "%drop2-%con1%typ1-%dif1%ter1-%bug%notGC%code"

SET $_Special = $_Special + $_NewLine + "%name"

RETURN

# Installation instructions:

# Save this text file as c:\temp\two.line.txt

# [ Note: you can put it in another directory if you like ]

# Enter this special tag: %macro="c:\temp\two.line.txt"

I get the error;

"Error in Macro Line 6

Set$_Special= "%drop2-%con1%typ1-%dif%ter-%bug%notGC%code"

Error => Invalid Expression in Macro.

Macro will now abort."

Ideas?

I have had a chance to take a closer look at what you are trying to do, and I don't think you can.

Even if you get the macro syntax correct, the problem is you are putting a line feed inside the raw data we are sending to the csv style file we are asking GPSBabel to convert.

So if you look at the generated file with notepad, each logical line will be split into two lines, and GPSBabel will see this data as two separate lines and not one single entity.

This will likely cause GPSBabel to throw an error, or the generated MapSource file will be corrupt.

I don't know of any way to "embed" a line feed inside the raw data for a GPSBabel csv style file, so I think what you are trying to do is not possible.

The HTML export seems to default to a local cache description.  Is there a way to export to HTML such that the caches are linked the the gc.com cache page?

No, but there is a link on the offline page (at the very top) that will take you to the online page.

Unless I'm missing something, that's not a hot link.

The HTML export seems to default to a local cache description.  Is there a way to export to HTML such that the caches are linked the the gc.com cache page?

No, but there is a link on the offline page (at the very top) that will take you to the online page.

Unless I'm missing something, that's not a hot link.

When you do the generation you must make sure you have this box ticked:

cap4.png

ClydE,

Sometimes it would be easier to download the .loc file directly form the website to my GPSr. Before I started using GSAK, which I love, I would just check the box on the list of caches and it would download directly to my GPSr. When I started using GSAK, I checked to force open GSAK any time I downloaded a cache.

Is there a way to force the associatiation of only the .gpx file download GSAK?

I want to be able to click on the Geocaching website directly download the .loc to my GPSr and don't want the .loc to show up or overwrite the existing waypoint in GSAK.

Thank you!

spamhead

Sometimes it would be easier to download the .loc file directly form the website to my GPSr. Before I started using GSAK, which I love, I would just check the box on the list of caches and it would download directly to my GPSr. When I started using GSAK, I checked to force open GSAK any time I downloaded a cache.

Is there a way to force the associatiation of only the .gpx file download GSAK?

Go to "Tools=>GPX file association" and make sure you untick the box "force association each time GSAK starts" then click on the OK button

Now start Windows Explorer, and go to "Tools=>Folder Options=>File Types" now manually associate LOC files with your required application.

Hi all

Forgive me if this question was asked before. I am new to not only GSAK but to geocahcing. I am using GSAK to export to cachemate for my Treo 600. I am not able to have any other information added to my cachemate..ie descriptions other then owners name and cache type (which is always uknown) I would like to be able to add the rest of the description and hints that are provided on the site. Am I doing someting wrong? is there a way to add this info?

Thanks for the help! :laughing:

Forgive me if this question was asked before. I am new to not only GSAK but to geocahcing. I am using GSAK to export to cachemate for my Treo 600. I am not able to have any other information added to my cachemate..ie descriptions other then owners name and cache type (which is always uknown) I would like to be able to add the rest of the description and hints that are provided on the site. Am I doing someting wrong? is there a way to add this info?

Please see items 2 and 10 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

Hi,

This might be a stoopid Q, but here goes:

How do I get rid of caches in GSAK that I don't want to add to an iSolo file that I am creating - do I have to delete each waypoint (cache) individually?

Tell me it isn't so, please!

Cheers,

Crido

How do I get rid of caches in GSAK that I don't want to add to an iSolo file that I am creating - do I have to delete each waypoint (cache) individually?

That is what filters are for.

Go "Search=>Filter"

Now set a filter so you sub set returns only the waypoints you want to send to Isolo.

If you just want to select individual waypoints then please see item 8 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

Hi,

Tell me it isn't so, please!

Cheers,

Crido

Delete 'em?--'tain't so!

Use filters to select the caches you want. Once you have only the filtered caches you desire displayed, then do your export...only they will be sent.

I think you can take a look in the help files for detailed information about creating filters. The best thing is to start playing around with the feature, so you can learn interactively.

OK. Just to clarify you're talking about the last patch/version of GSAK or Fugawi?

latest version of gsak, it is also happening to my fathers computer as well. to fix it he downloads to his gps and then to fugawi and it works, but not when he exports from gsak to fugawi.

thanks guys

I'm home again so tried to replicate the problem you're experiencing. My set up is Fugawi 3.1.4.881 and GSAK Version 6.0.2 (latest beta). I just now loaded my weekly PQs into GSAK then exported to a Fugawi txt file and then imported that into Fugawi. Double clicking on a waypoint in the waypoint list in Fugawi moves the map to that waypoint so I'm not seeing the problem you describe.

With version 6.0.2.24 the "found caches" does not appear to be working I change items in "Method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches" and still no joy.. If I downgrade to version 5.5.1 the found caches work.. I did a clean install of GSAK and it still does the same thing. Any suggestions ?

With version 6.0.2.24 the "found caches" does not appear to be working I change items in "Method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches" and still no joy.. If I downgrade to version 5.5.1 the found caches work.. I did a clean install of GSAK and it still does the same thing. Any suggestions ?

First thing, try a Database=>Repair/defrag

Changing your "Method for matching placed and found caches" will not immediately show your found caches - you need to load a GPX file or take the Database=>Repair/Defrag option.

If this still does not work for you on version 6.0.2 then do A File=>Backup and select your smallest database you have this problem with (also tick the settings box) and email me the generated zip file together with your latest GPX file you are loading.

:blink:  Can someone that is using National Geographic Topo 4 please tell me how they are transfering Gsak information to their maps? Each time I try to export to the NG format the file will not open to merge... Clyde thought someone here might be able to help. Thank you,

BossTracker

In GSAK, I go to File>Export>National Geographic TOPO! tpg file. Waypoint name is set to:

%drop2 %con1%dif=1%ter=1

Waypoint name max characters is set to 8. Cache description format is set to %Name. I then open NG TOPO! (V.4.0.0) and go to File>Merge TPG and navigate to the file GSAK exported. That's it.

In the TOPO! file menu, make sure you're choosing "Merge .tpg" and not "Merge .tpo". Other than that, I can't think of why you wouldn't be able to open the tpg file.

Edited by Kai Team

Okay, I can't figure out why this time, now that I am on a time crunch, I can't get things to work. I have 86 waypoints on my sheet. 86 went into my gps but only 61 went into the palm for cachemate. and I have reloaded and tried again and again. It doesn't appear to be in the name or gc number but I need those waypoints in my palm. What am I doing wrong?