Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

My filter for "found" caches displays the correct caches. But the count on the bottom right is incorrect. It shows a higher number. Since I use the user data field to manually number my caches, I know that no extra caches are being displayed. On the bottom more to the left it says 90 shown (out of 303). This is correct but on the left the yellow square for found caches says 117. All other searches display correctly. Found also used to display correctly. Not sure when or why I lost it.

The problem is that you have multiple found logs (intentional or not) for one or more caches in your databse.

For more information and how to resolve this issue please see this post

Sorry, But I don't seem to be able to filter for more than one found log. The earlier problem is exactly mine but I don't know how to do the response. Maybe, I am just too tired. I will read it again on Saturday.

While not a true computer wizard, I am not usually lost either. I do use filters. Thanks for the help. :P

Sorry, But I don't seem to be able to filter for more than one found log. The earlier problem is exactly mine but I don't know how to do the response. Maybe, I am just too tired. I will read it again on Saturday.

While not a true computer wizard, I am not usually lost either. I do use filters. Thanks for the help. :P

The follwoing filter will list all caches in your database that have multiple found logs (that is, two or more):

filter8.png

That is what I had tried.  It pops no waypoints found.  So I thought I was doing it wrong.  But your example is the same except I used my logon ID from GC.com.

And if you enter the filter EXACTLY as shown do you get the same results?

Just in case your indexes are out of whack please do a "database=>Repair/defrag" then try again.

If your counts are still out and you can't find your multiple found logs, then please take the File=>Backup option and select ONLY the database you are having the problem with (also make sure you tick the settings box). Now email me (help=>about for my email address) the generated zip file and I should be able to track down what the issue is.

Edited by ClydeE

Hi, Clyde,

I've installed the 6.0.2 upgrade. I have a macro that downloads files from GMail and applies them to various databases.

DEBUG Status=off
DATABASE Name="Default"
GETMAIL Settings="Illinois GPX Updates"
DATABASE Name="Door County"
GETMAIL Settings="Wisconsin GPX Updates"
DATABASE Name="New Jersey"
GETMAIL Settings="New Jersey GPX Updates"
DATABASE Name="Caches I've Found"
. . . plus a few more

The first update seems to go OK, but then after that GSAK hangs up while attempting to connect to the Gmail POP3 server -- at least, that's the status in the bar at the bottom of the window. I haven't changed anything since the last time I ran that macro, other than applying the GSAK version update.

I've installed the 6.0.2 upgrade. I have a macro that downloads files from GMail and applies them to various databases.

DEBUG Status=off
DATABASE Name="Default"
. . . plus a few more

The first update seems to go OK, but then after that GSAK hangs up while attempting to connect to the Gmail POP3 server -- at least, that's the status in the bar at the bottom of the window. I haven't changed anything since the last time I ran that macro, other than applying the GSAK version update.

Hmm, I have no other reports of this issue.

It sounds like GSAK can't connect to the gmail server on the second attempt, and other than something strange happening to your Internet connection I can't see any other reason why.

Does it happen all the time (even after a reboot)?

I just tried multiple Getmails in a macro to my Gmail account without any problems.

edit: check your settings for your second connection to gmail - perhaps something has been inadvertantly changed. Even try commenting out the second download and see if the 3rd one then works.

Edited by ClydeE

DEBUG Status=off
DATABASE Name="Default"
. . . plus a few more

Hmm, I have no other reports of this issue.

It sounds like GSAK can't connect to the gmail server on the second attempt, and other than something strange happening to your Internet connection I can't see any other reason why.

Does it happen all the time (even after a reboot)?

I just tried multiple Getmails in a macro to my Gmail account without any problems.

Didn't try a reboot. I'll check it again tomorrow and let you know. Thanks. Let me know if there's a trace of some kind I can activate to collect more detailed info.

Edited by WascoZooKeeper
Didn't try a reboot. I'll check it again tomorrow and let you know. Thanks. Let me know if there's a trace of some kind I can activate to collect more detailed info.

Just in case you missed my edited comment:

edit: check your settings for your second connection to gmail - perhaps something has been inadvertantly changed. Even try commenting out the second download and see if the 3rd one then works.

Hi, Clyde,

DEBUG Status=off
DATABASE Name="Default"
. . . plus a few more

Same thing happens to me. The first time I run my getmail macro, no problems. After that, GSAK hangs.

Basically, I can access my POP server once per GSAK session. I have to kill GSAK to get it to work again.

I thought it was just me.

I still can't replicate this on my gmail account, so we need to try a few things to track down what is causing the problem.

Could you please try my suggestions in the previous post. Results?

What happens if you run the first getmail command (the one that works) twice in a row?

What happens if you run get mail twice outside of a macro (use File=>GetMail)

I would also like to determine if this is gmail specific or something specific on your systems.

Could either or both of you please try running multiple getmail commands on a pop3 server other than gmail (your ISP account for example, and preferably one that does not use SSL)

Also, for expedience could you reply directly to my email address (Help=>About)

Edit: I know this doesn't fix the problem for you both, but here is a work around:

It is not very efficient to do the downloads by using multiple GetMail commands. So just use one GetMail command to download ALL your required PQ's. You can then use Database and Load commands to shuffle the required files into the correct databases.

Edited by ClydeE

Is there a way or is it possible int he future to have a Return in the Special Tags?

This way in some programs you could have a two line description. This became a question as i finally got back to using my Delorme.

I curently use;

%drop2-%con1%typ1-%dif1%ter1-%bug%notGC%code

1034-RT-33-Y

What I would like is something like;

%drop2-%con1%typ1-%dif1%ter1-%bug%notGC%code%break%name

So it would show like:

1034-RT-33-Y

Random ~Revamped

on the label. I know in most cases it might not seem usefull, however when you are working an area like a forest preserve or bike path it could be helpful by placing Decsriptions, lat/long/url,hints, etc in that area.

Is there a way or is it possible int he future to have a Return in the Special Tags?

This way in some programs you could have a two line description. This became a question as i finally got back to using my Delorme.

I curently use;

1034-RT-33-Y

So it would show like:

1034-RT-33-Y

Random ~Revamped

on the label. I know in most cases it might not seem usefull, however when you are working an area like a forest preserve or bike path it could be helpful by placing Decsriptions, lat/long/url,hints, etc in that area.

Have you tried Chr(13)? That's a carriage return.

I still can't replicate this on my gmail account, so we need to try a few things to track down what is causing the problem.

Could you please try my suggestions in the previous post. Results?

What happens if you run the first getmail command (the one that works) twice in a row?

What happens if you run get mail twice outside of a macro (use File=>GetMail)

I would also like to determine if this is gmail specific or something specific on your systems.

Could either or both of you please try running multiple getmail commands on a pop3 server other than gmail (your ISP account for example, and preferably one that does not use SSL)

Also, for expedience could you reply directly to my email address (Help=>About)

Edit: I know this doesn't fix the problem for you both, but here is a work around:

It is not very efficient to do the downloads by using multiple GetMail commands. So just use one GetMail command to download ALL your required PQ's. You can then use Database and Load commands to shuffle the required files into the correct databases.

First off, I am not using gmail. I am using my ISP which requires SSL. That didn't work for me at all until the last maint. release.

Anyway, I just launched GSAK. I have no "new" queries currently in email, but I ran my macro anyway.

I can run it over and over with no problems.

Tomorrow, I will have a new PQ in email. I will try running it a second time when there it is actually doing something the first time through.

More to come...

I curently use;

1034-RT-33-Y

So it would show like:

1034-RT-33-Y

Random ~Revamped

You should be able to do this using the %macro tag (see special tags ).

This tag will let you build any string and you can then use $_Newline inside your macro code to generate line feeds.

I have to admit to being a bit dense when it comes to these macros. I have played with it a bit this afternoon to try to get it to work with no success.

I have three days and a bunch of time in a car later tonight to play with it. Thanks for pointing me int the right direction.

I'm sure this is a dumb question and I should know the answer but I can't find it anywhere.

I've been using GSAK for 302 days (so it tells me) and have built up some large databases both in the US and Europe. However, I've just noticed that caches aren't getting marked as 'archived' when I update from my PQs.

Aaagh! How do I sort through the thousands of caches in my database and find out which are now archived? Can I force GSAK to update all its data from GC?

If you can't then it really significantly reduces the usefullness of having a database as you would have to delete all old entries every time you did a new PQ to ensure that you don't start accumulating archived caches.

As I say this is probably me being dumb and there is a simple answer...

Mike

If you can't then it really significantly reduces the usefullness of having a database as you would have to delete all old entries every time you did a new PQ to ensure that you don't start accumulating archived caches.

archived caches don't appear in pq's. If you run your queries weekly then create a filter to show you caches that haven't been updated in the last 2 weeks (for safety's sake) AND that are not archived.

These caches are ones that are likely to have been archived.

Then just show these in the bottom half of the screen,click on the link in the browser to see if the cache has been archived, if so, then press f3 to toggle archived status, the cache "disappears" from the filtered view and repeat for the rest of the caches

Thanks DomHeKnows - I was afraid it was going to be a painful manual process.

I think the expedient thing to do is to delete all my databases and start again.

This deficiency (and let me hasten to add it's a deficiency of PQ's NOT of GSAK - this is not Clyde's fault) should be pointed out in bold red type in the GSAK instructions. It makes a significant difference to how you can use the product and is something I haven't realised in a year (apart from occasionally cursing what I thought was my bad luck at yet again trying to find a cache which, I assumed, had been archived betwen my last PQ and the day I went looking).

I travel a lot for business and it's very convenient to cache completely electronically so I rarely look at the GC cache pages directly until I log the cache.

What this means is that my databases (from many countries) are now of dubious value unless I spend hours going through them all manually to clear out the deadwood.

To be sure that you have good data without the manual checking (which to my mind negates the whole point of using a database) you have to completely clear out GSAK every week when you get new PQ data and there is no point at all in keeping databases of places or countries that you won't visit for a while. Time to rewrite the Macros to add a 'Delete All' as the first line... :laughing:

Edited by Lignumaqua
. . .

To be sure that you have good data without the manual checking (which to my mind negates the whole point of using a database) you have to completely clear out GSAK every week when you get new PQ data and there is no point at all in keeping databases of places or countries that you won't visit for a while. Time to rewrite the Macros to add a 'Delete All' as the first line... :laughing:

I'm still a novice at using GSAK, so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

However, I wouldn't want to clear my database because that is how you get more and more Past Logs to review in Cachemate.

I think you could do a quick saved filter every week to see if a cache wasn't updated . . . or something like that, and delete those that weren't included in the last .gpx file.

It might take some work to clear it out now, but it shouldn't be too hard after that . . .

Hi Miragee - that's a good idea. However I don't run all my PQs every week - for example one of my databases is for Texas and I run separate PQs for Austin, Waco, Dallas etc. The only one I run weekly is Austin (which is where I live). That means that all the Dallas entries in my current database for example haven't had a PQ for a month or so and would all show up as bad on any search like this.

Maybe the answer is that you have to use a separate database for every PQ you run. That's not ideal when trying to put a trip together. Hmmm...

I set up a separate database for all the PQs I ran for a trip from Reno back to San Diego.

I also have separate databases for specific areas in this cache-rich area around San Diego County.

I haven't updated the one to the East of me for several weeks because it has been too hot to venture out there. When I do run those PQs, I'll have to somehow filter out those caches that have been disabled or archived. I'll get to test my own suggestion to you. ;)

I set up a separate database for all the PQs I ran for a trip from Reno back to San Diego.

I also have separate databases for specific areas in this cache-rich area around San Diego County.

I haven't updated the one to the East of me for several weeks because it has been too hot to venture out there. When I do run those PQs, I'll have to somehow filter out those caches that have been disabled or archived. I'll get to test my own suggestion to you. ;)

Disabled caches should appear in the PQ. Ones that are Archived you'll have to search for manually. A GSAK 'Last GPX' update filter will help you here, though I agree is not ideal - but is a solution.

Ah - but that wouldn't work either unless you ran exactly the same series of PQs. You really need to have a separate database for EVERY separate PQ.

Since my last posting I've been sitting here setting up 20 different databases and separating out my waypoints into the appropriate databases. Most importantly I've set up my default Austin database to exactly match the PQ that runs weekly.

The problem there was that I just had my weekly PQ set up to return the nearest 500 caches that I hadn't found. That doesn't work - as the cache density grows that 500 caches covers a smaller and smaller area so some distant caches get 'orphaned' outside the PQ update catchment area. So I've changed the PQ to specifically give me the caches within 25 miles of my house. As long as that stays below 500 (356 at the moment!) I'll get a consistent PQ each week that your plan will work on.

And to think that a couple of hours ago I thought I had all this sorted out! Sometimes ignorance really is bliss... ;)

The problem there was that I just had my weekly PQ set up to return the nearest 500 caches that I hadn't found. That doesn't work - as the cache density grows that 500 caches covers a smaller and smaller area so some distant caches get 'orphaned' outside the PQ update catchment area.

That's true, but there are two possible solutions (based on the "Last GPX Update" column/filter in GSAK):

1) As noted above, click the online link for each cache not updated since your last PQ (this isn't usually too much work if you do it regularly - i.e. once a week), or, if that's too much effort,

2) Just delete all caches that weren't updated in your last PQ (this will get rid of all the archived caches and the "orphans", which are, by definition, furthest from your home location). You'll end up with more live caches in your database (you'll have close to 500, versus the 356 you're limiting yourself to now) and you don't have to worry about going over 500 in your PQ.

PS - if you don't want to delete your found caches or those that are temporarily unavailable, set up your "Review for Update" filter to only show available caches (not found, not archived, not temporarily unavailable) that were not updated in the last PQ. Then delete everything in the filter (which only takes a few clicks).

As for places farther away from home, I agree that separate databases are the way to go. I don't update those databases until I know I'm going there. Then I activate the PQ for that area that I've saved on gc.com (not running these PQ's every week also reduces the load on the gc.com server, which helps everyone get their PQ's sooner).

Edited by Kai Team
I have to admit to being a bit dense when it comes to these macros. I have played with it a bit this afternoon to try to get it to work with no success.

I have three days and a bunch of time in a car later tonight to play with it. Thanks for pointing me int the right direction.

I am currently taking a bit or R & R at the moment.

If you still haven't got the hang of it, when I get back I will post a %macro as per your example ;)

I just noticed that the cache status, more specifically when a cache is disabled or archived is not being updated. I've gone searching for several caches lately and find that they are archived. I decided to compare some of the cache statuses in the database with the online logs, and several don't match. I have regular pocket queries that these would be included in.

Any thoughts?

Joe

Joe - that's exactly the problem I've had and there are a number of potential solutions posted on this page. Just go back about 12 postings and read down!

Fundamental problem is that PQ's do NOT include data on archived caches so GSAK never gets to know about them. You have to update them manually or just delete anything which doesn't get an update.

Mike

I have recently upgraded my system with a new computer running Windows XP (had 98 before and no problems with GSAK). Now when I run a PQ and receive the zip file in an email, I seem to have to save it first to my desktop and THEN drag and drop onto GSAK. When I drag and drop the attached file directly (i.e. without saving first), then I get the open dialog box with the following file name

C:\DOCUME~1\HP_OWNER\LOCALS~1\184439.zip

which produces an Error: There are no matching files to load. Import aborted.

Are some of my settings wrong in the email program or in the XP setup ?

Joe - that's exactly the problem I've had and there are a number of potential solutions posted on this page. Just go back about 12 postings and read down!

Fundamental problem is that PQ's do NOT include data on archived caches so GSAK never gets to know about them. You have to update them manually or just delete anything which doesn't get an update.

Mike

He is right -

you have to go to the cache and download the gpx automatically.

I keep a column 'Last GPX'

sort on that column then go through them one at at time as needed -

usually it is the unavailable one I go through. GSAK notifies you of any that have been re-activated when you load the PQ (if you have that flag on).

I have many that are below the radar because they have not been found in a long time. I only have about 620. I download a 300 cache list daily but get a 500 cache listing about 2 times a month.

Note that you only get a cache in a new PQ when it is updated - it it updated when someone writes a log to that page.

you can filter on GPX date ( I just did for the counts ).

Of the 620 caches I have in GSAK about 120 have not been updated in the last two days.

I see I have a few disabled caches I need to check on.

cc\

I have recently upgraded my system with a new computer running Windows XP (had 98 before and no problems with GSAK). Now when I run a PQ and receive the zip file in an email, I seem to have to save it first to my desktop and THEN drag and drop onto GSAK. When I drag and drop the attached file directly (i.e. without saving first), then I get the open dialog box with the following file name

which produces an Error: There are no matching files to load. Import aborted.

I had a similar problem early on that required me to save the zip file first. I have a hunch that it was an update that 'fixed it'. But I also noted a difference in operation in HOW you try to load the file.

First, I use MS Outlook for my mail - and XP.

Now, I used to OPEN the e-mail but it would not open GSA when I tried to load the file (hence the save operation) . But I found that if I just click the Paper Clip icon on the right and double click the pop up for the zip it worked just fine. But now I find that it works OK when I open the e-mail too - this is why I think it may have been a new version that made that work for me.

My point here is that your problem MAY be in just how you are trying to load it. What is your mail program? What about your Windows updates? Are they recent?

Are you using SP1 or SP2? Could be a lot of different things going on here but I don't think it is your settings in GSAK.

I don't try to drag and drop - I just double click the zip file.

I have recently upgraded my system with a new computer running Windows XP (had 98 before and no problems with GSAK).  Now when I run a PQ and receive the zip file in an email, I seem to have to save it first to my desktop and THEN drag and drop onto GSAK.  When I drag and drop the attached file directly (i.e. without saving first), then I get the open dialog box with the following file name

which produces an Error: There are no matching files to load.  Import aborted.

I had a similar problem early on that required me to save the zip file first. I have a hunch that it was an update that 'fixed it'. But I also noted a difference in operation in HOW you try to load the file.

First, I use MS Outlook for my mail - and XP.

Now, I used to OPEN the e-mail but it would not open GSA when I tried to load the file (hence the save operation) . But I found that if I just click the Paper Clip icon on the right and double click the pop up for the zip it worked just fine. But now I find that it works OK when I open the e-mail too - this is why I think it may have been a new version that made that work for me.

My point here is that your problem MAY be in just how you are trying to load it. What is your mail program? What about your Windows updates? Are they recent?

Are you using SP1 or SP2? Could be a lot of different things going on here but I don't think it is your settings in GSAK.

I don't try to drag and drop - I just double click the zip file.

I am using Windows XP SP2, Mozilla Thunderbird for email, and GSAK 6.02 . So I should have installed all the latest updates. It must be a setting somewhere !

Instead of quoting my musings from above, it appears that previously I had set GSAK to be the default program to open ALL .zip files in the Folder Options section of My Computer. This is not a very good idea since there are many other zip files that should NOT be opened by GSAK. The attachment from the PQ appearing in my email doesn't exist as a file until I save it somewhere. I guess that is the reason I have been getting the error I mentioned before. It had appeared to me from the discussions that I could simply drag and drop the .zip attachment from my email to the GSAK icon. But apparently not ! Still not sure if this is only a problem with XP !?

You are correct - the file does not really exist in Windows until it is 'in Windows' that is not in your e-mail as an attachment. I just tried it from outlook in both ways.

But if you double click the attachment it should open Winzip - then you can double click the winzip PQ icon and it will open GSAK and load.

don't know if that helps or not.

I believe GSAK is supposed to open the zip file if you drag that to GSAK - just don't operate that way as it takes the extra step and time to save the file.

cc\

When I view GSAK with the split screen and then click to view the actual cache page in the lower screen I have a problem. When I click on the map to open the mapquest map it opens with Internet Explorer. I hate IE. I use Firefox for everything. Firefox is set as my default browser.

Now when I'm on the actual geocaching.com web site and on a cache page and click on that same map it opens with Firefox like it is supposed to. Is there a way to make GSAK open that map in Firefox rather than IE?

Edited by thrak
When I view GSAK with the split screen and then click to view the actual cache page in the lower screen I have a problem. When I click on the map to open the mapquest map it opens with Internet Explorer. I hate IE. I use Firefox for everything. Firefox is set as my default browser.

Now when I'm on the actual geocaching.com web site and on a cache page and click on that same map it opens with Firefox like it is supposed to. Is there a way to make GSAK open that map in Firefox rather than IE?

GSAK uses API call to IE to render the split screen. Unfortunately none of the other browsers provide the same API's that GSAK uses so the split screen will always appear to use IE

If you want to view this information in your default browser then use a custom URL or use the right click menu to view this cahe online

hey all =)

question:

i've used GSAK before to download waypoints into the 76cs - no problems with it. this morning i upload a few photos onto my computer from a digital cable using the same USB cable i use for the garmin - minutes after uploading the photos, i can't download any waypoints.

this is the error i got:

error sending waypoints:

[error]setupdienumdeviceinterfaces: no more data is available

is the unit powered up and connected?[error] send_waypoint: unknown waypoint protocol

garmin:communication error sending waypoints

what am i overlooking? i did check to make sure the cable was properly connect (at both ends) and the garmin was on. i also double checked the GPS setup - it was set on the right manufacturer AND the usb box was checked.

thanks in advance =)

jenn

<edited> here's another bit - i tested the camera i uploaded from just now, and i get a two-toned alert when i've successfully connected a device via the USB cable. i don't get that when i hook up the garmin. i get a 5-beep alert. so, that's the problem, but what is the problem, exactly? *laughs*

Edited by koneko

Re - removing archived caches.

I've now added the code below to my weekly GSAK macro which reads in the latest PQ for my area.

First the FILTER selects any caches that have not had an update for two weeks but still remain available - these are likely the ones that have been archived. Then these are deleted.

Is there anything wrong with this strategy?

Mike

FILTER Name="No GPX Updates for 2 weeks"
IF $_FilterCount >0
Delete Settings="Delete all in filter"
ENDIF

Quick question, which was probably noted in the prior 9 pages, but I couldn't find it.

My logged caches are no longer showing up on my PQ in GSAK. They do show up when I run them on the geocache page, but in GSAK, they don't show up at all.

I recently changed my user name, which I have done over the past few years about 3 times. How do I associate these older names with the GSAK database so that I can count them as found?

thanks,

DD

PS - it says in the GSAK help for "placing caches" how to resolve this, but not for identifying caches. It does say to identigy by GC login ID# - where is this number?

Edited by Siberian Cacher

Ok, so it has been said that the gpx file that gc.com sends in a PQ does not contain the archived information, however there are times when I'm importing the PQ into GSAK and I get a window saying a cache has become available that was once archived/unavailable. If the info is not sent in the gpx/PQ file then how does GSAK know.

I would have to assume that this is incorrect and that the info is in the PQ file. If I am correct, why does GSAK not automatically update this in the database.

Quick question, which was probably noted in the prior 9 pages, but I couldn't find it.

My logged caches are no longer showing up on my PQ in GSAK. They do show up when I run them on the geocache page, but in GSAK, they don't show up at all.

I recently changed my user name, which I have done over the past few years about 3 times. How do I associate these older names with the GSAK database so that I can count them as found?

thanks,

DD

PS - it says in the GSAK help for "placing caches" how to resolve this, but not for identifying caches. It does say to identigy by GC login ID# - where is this number?

PS - it says in the GSAK help for "placing caches" how to resolve this, but not for identifying caches.  It does say to identigy by GC login ID# - where is this number?

I found it. I was using MS Word as the text editor but it was converting it to a better XML format and crunched the code. I used Notepad and was able to pull the straight code.

BTW, great help function. It worked and had my answer despite by best attempts to not use it! :huh:

DD

hey all =)

question:

i've used GSAK before to download waypoints into the 76cs - no problems with it. this morning i upload a few photos onto my computer from a digital cable using the same USB cable i use for the garmin - minutes after uploading the photos, i can't download any waypoints.

this is the error i got:

error sending waypoints:

[error]setupdienumdeviceinterfaces: no more data is available

is the unit powered up and connected?[error] send_waypoint: unknown waypoint protocol

garmin:communication error sending waypoints

what am i overlooking? i did check to make sure the cable was properly connect (at both ends) and the garmin was on. i also double checked the GPS setup - it was set on the right manufacturer AND the usb box was checked.

thanks in advance =)

jenn

<edited> here's another bit - i tested the camera i uploaded from just now, and i get a two-toned alert when i've successfully connected a device via the USB cable. i don't get that when i hook up the garmin. i get a 5-beep alert. so, that's the problem, but what is the problem, exactly? *laughs*

It seems likely that Windows has reverted to its native USB driver and is now trying to use it for the Garmin device. If a reboot doesn't fix the problem you may need to reinstall the Garmin USB driver. It amazes me that they use a non-standard driver in the first place.

Is there a limit to the number of waypoints that can be in any one database in gsak?

I asked because I have set up a route that is several hundred miles long. I have many pq's set up to send me 500 waypoints each. If I load all these pq's into one big database in gsak, will I have a limitation? (I then will be using the arc/poly filter to reduce the actual number of waypoints to just those within in a half mile all along my desired route.)

Thanks for the help in advance...

Kirk out.

Is there a limit to the number of waypoints that can be in any one database in gsak?

ClydeE has referred to a test database of 23,000 waypoints (see this post), so I don't think there are any practical limits (and that was before the latest speed enhancements to GSAK)!

Edited by Kai Team

I asked because I have set up a route that is several hundred miles long. I have many pq's set up to send me 500 waypoints each. If I load all these pq's into one big database in gsak, will I have a limitation? (I then will be using the arc/poly filter to reduce the actual number of waypoints to just those within in a half mile all along my desired route.)

Thanks for the help in advance...

Kirk out.

I can't exactly recall the DB limits, but it is way more caches than you will ever need :lol:

My largest test database has 150,000 caches and over a million logs. Obviously not quite as snappy as a 3000 cache database but filters are still quite quick, and in general the database is very useable.