Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

hey clyde i cant open the pushpin file for ms s&t is says that it is not in the expected format it is a .psp file and along with this when i try to open it i cannot see it in s&t i have to do a little search i dont know if this has anything to do with it but i unistalled ms s&t and reinstalled it because i lost everything out of my ppc

thanks alot twqb

thanks for the new update Clyde - I like the stats option back in the mail import routine.

I was hoping that the new mail import routine would also automagically click the link through to gc.com to turn on the pocketquery for next week :-)

Actually I did think about that :anitongue:

However, as this was supposed to a "temporary" measure I dismissed the idea.

I still don't understand why they are doing this as now that more than a full week has passed all the "dead" PQs should have been weeded out.

However, you can automate the setting of PQs back on in a GSAK macro with the use of the WEB command.

hey clyde i cant open the pushpin file for ms s&t is says that it is not in the expected format it is a .psp file and along with this when i try to open it i cannot see it in s&t i have to do a little search i dont know if this has anything to do with it but i unistalled ms s&t and reinstalled it because i lost everything out of my ppc

thanks alot twqb

The file that GSAK creates is not actually a native PSP file but a text file and must be imported rather than opened.

For a good tutorial please see this link

Edited by ClydeE

I'm exporting cache info to a cachemate PDB file. When I view the record in cachemate, the hints are not rot13 encoded. Looking at the raw data (PDB file) I see the hints are also not rot13 encoded there. Apparently I have a problem with my config somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's in GSAK or cachemate. Please advise.

I'm exporting cache info to a cachemate PDB file. When I view the record in cachemate, the hints are not rot13 encoded. Looking at the raw data (PDB file) I see the hints are also not rot13 encoded there. Apparently I have a problem with my config somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's in GSAK or cachemate. Please advise.

On the "Export CacheMate PDB File..." dialog, the second column, top item is "Decode hints by default". If you uncheck that checkbox the hints will be Rot13 on your PDA.

Is anyone having trouble with the Travel Bug filter? No matter what I type in, the same GC's show up, but not what I am looking for.

For Example, I put jeep into the filter and a small list of GC's show up. Some have Jeep in the name, some dont. Is this a known problem? I can provide more information and troubleshooting if needed.

Thanks,

Adelos

I am moving my GSAK installation from one machine to another. I was able to import the old data, but is there a way to transfer the filters from one installation to another?

When transfering from one computer to anotner use the File=>Backup on the source computer, then File=>Restore on the destination computer (make sure you also tick the settings box)

This method makes sure you get not only an exact duplication of the database, but all you filters, views, and sticky settings are restored.

Is anyone having trouble with the Travel Bug filter? No matter what I type in, the same GC's show up, but not what I am looking for.

For Example, I put jeep into the filter and a small list of GC's show up. Some have Jeep in the name, some dont. Is this a known problem? I can provide more information and troubleshooting if needed.

What version of GSAK are you using?

There was an issue with the travel bug search prior to version 6 but this has now been fixed.

I can't replicate this behaviour with the current version 6.0.2

If you have a prior version please upgrade at http://gsak.net

If not, then first do a Database=>Repair/Defrag then try the search again. If you still get unexpected results, please do a File=>Backup (tick the settings box) and email me the generated zip file together with a description of exactly what you are doing and which caches are showing in the filter that you think shouldn't

I am moving my GSAK installation from one machine to another.  I was able to import the old data, but is there a way to transfer the filters from one installation to another?

When transfering from one computer to anotner use the File=>Backup on the source computer, then File=>Restore on the destination computer (make sure you also tick the settings box)

This method makes sure you get not only an exact duplication of the database, but all you filters, views, and sticky settings are restored.

That took care of it, thanks :unsure:

I'm exporting cache info to a cachemate PDB file.  When I view the record in cachemate, the hints are not rot13 encoded.  Looking at the raw data (PDB file) I see the hints are also not rot13 encoded there.  Apparently I have a problem with my config somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's in GSAK or cachemate.  Please advise.

On the "Export CacheMate PDB File..." dialog, the second column, top item is "Decode hints by default". If you uncheck that checkbox the hints will be Rot13 on your PDA.

heh... I figured I was just overlooking it. I didn't realize it was that obvious. :unsure: Thanks!

Version 6.0.2 Build=24:

I can enter anything and get the same results. What email do I send the zip file to?

Adelos

Please see Help=>About

Also include a screen shot of the filter you are running with the travel bug information you are searching for.

Clyde, GSAK is a great piece of work...I'm another satisfied customer :) .

In the "if you get around to it" pile, I'd like to add a switch setting that controls whether, when double-clicking on a cache entry in the database, an existing browser window is reused or a new browser window is opened. The behavior I'd like is the latter, but I realize that some folks may prefer the former. I keep multiple browser windows open at any one time, and usually have something going on in them. The present behavior "kicks out" whatever I'm doing in that window, and if it involves a form, I'm stuck with reentering data.

Thanks....

In the "if you get around to it" pile, I'd like to add a switch setting that controls whether, when double-clicking on a cache entry in the database, an existing browser window is reused or a new browser window is opened. The behavior I'd like is the latter, but I realize that some folks may prefer the former. I keep multiple browser windows open at any one time, and usually have something going on in them. The present behavior "kicks out" whatever I'm doing in that window, and if it involves a form, I'm stuck with reentering data.

This is not something GSAK can control.

This is a browser dependant setting. If you are using Internet Explorer

go to Tools=>Internet Options=>Advanced, then uncheck the box "Reuse

windows for launching shortcuts"

For a discussion on how to alternate this behaviour on each click please see this post

Clyde,

hey great going on all the features in GSAK !!

i see you can click on way point in GSAK and then it goes direct to Oziexplorer map.

question ,,, is there a way to with linking or exporting with both these programs to:

be in the map program and click on the way point to see all the cache details and logs ??

thanks

i see you can click on way point in GSAK and then it goes direct to Oziexplorer map.

question ,,, is there a way to with linking or exporting with both these programs to:

be in the map program and click on the way point to see all the cache details and logs ??

Yes, GSAK actually has it's roots built on OziExplorer.

GSAK originally started out as purely a tool for OziExplorer (Geo2Ozi) so it has very strong links both ways with this program.

When you export waypoints from GSAK to OziExplorer, GSAK places a special value in the "Open file attachment" (You can control the default action for this in the OziExplorer export dialog)

Now when you have the waypoint listed in OziExplorer, just right mouse click on the cache and select "Open file attachement". Ozi will now "talk" to GSAK and perform the action you specified when you did the export. Default action is:

ozi1.png

GSAK originally started out as purely a tool for OziExplorer (Geo2Ozi) so it has very strong links both ways with this program.

hey great !!!

can you recomend quick map to use with oziexplorer which would be easy for this. a map showing just very basic roads and landmarks.

ok, thanks again for all your help.

can you recomend quick map to use with oziexplorer which would be easy for this. a map showing just very basic roads and landmarks.

This really depends what part the world you are from. I am from Western Australia, and the local street guide maps on CD rom work fine.

We are getting a bit OT now, but OziExplorer will support many image formats. You just need to calibrate the image and then you have a map file that you can use in OziExplorer (some image formats like ECW don't even need calibration)

This is not something GSAK can control.

This is a browser dependant setting. If you are using Internet Explorer

go to Tools=>Internet Options=>Advanced, then uncheck the box "Reuse

windows for launching shortcuts"

For a discussion on how to alternate this behaviour on each click please see this post

Thanks...didn't know about either the IE setting or the shift-click trick. That was just what I need.

Not sure what, but you have a bottleneck there somewhere. You may have to terminate programs and/or services one by one to track down the culprit.

I have a lot of utilities running. It may be that something like Google desktop index is running each time a disk write occurs. That sounds unlikely but stranger things have happened.

I have to agree with Clyde that there is something odd here.

But I'd like to thank you for the image and have you look back at my previous post.

It is my considered and experienced opinion that you have too much going on. Your memory (page file) usage is over 50%. It is my experience - and I'd like to say I have a lot of it - been doing tech support for a whole lot of years. I work with a 'house system' and 8 other systems at work - have 4 systems here at home in my office (W95, W98, and 2 XP - one with SP1 (this one) and one with SP2. I keep the task mgr open on all systems when working.

When that like goes over 50% it is time to close some things down or reboot. I use MS Internet Explorer which has a bad memory leak. Open and close a bunch of windows, go do some sights that eat up memory, or get a lot of pop ups and that line starts creeping up. Killing MS IE does not fix it.

At work I have some 10 applications - 15 Explorer windows open, and several utilities. Word, PowerPoint, FrontPage, and Access all with multiple windows. A large support database, two phone system applications (running under FireFox) MS Outlook are only part of this mess. I also have several MS IE windows open.

NOW! get this - all this runs great on an older 680 MHz P3 with about 372 MB RAM. SO! the reason for this last is that you don't need a power house system as long as you manage it right.

Now - back to my previous paragraph - when that line goes over 50%, page file swapping goes way up - system performance goes down, and strange things start to happen with the way programs start to work. Note that this is a percentage - I do note that you have about 512 M RAM. That should be enough for just about anything you want to do but it depends on what you are doing and how those programs operate together, how much memory they use to operate, and how much memory they use for data.

How about killing everything off except GSAK - what happens then?

cc\

hey great !!!

ok, thanks again for all your help.

woops,,, location is USA,,,

going on trip in 2 days,,, so if i can find real easy quick down load map to use with oziexplorer that would help out ,,, just basic map to use in car with laptop.

i have garmin quest unit for actual geocaching.

ok, thanks

I don't know if this has been covered before.

When I send files to my GPSr I have the option to select a certain number of caches out of the total Eg. 1 to 500 out of 6000. I have always wondered why this option was not available when sending the data to cachmate.

Currently I have a database for my state and so I have to filter it down, I use by radius, to get a similer number of caches but that is a matter of guesswork to use the correct filter.

Could an option of the number of caches you want to send be added to the "send to cachmate" window? Is this even feasable?

Thanks for your responce in advance.

When I send files to my GPSr I have the option to select a certain number of caches out of the total Eg. 1 to 500 out of 6000. I have always wondered why this option was not available when sending the data to cachmate.

Currently I have a database for my state and so I have to filter it down, I use by radius, to get a similer number of caches but that is a matter of guesswork to use the correct filter.

Could an option of the number of caches you want to send be added to the "send to cachmate" window? Is this even feasable?

Andrew,

One way to do this is to use User Flag. Set up the subset you want, click User Flags->Set for next xx records. Then filter on User Flag set. Export this filter to CacheMate.

When I send files to my GPSr I have the option to select a certain number of caches out of the total  Eg. 1 to 500 out of 6000.  I have always wondered why this option was not available when sending the data to cachmate.

Could an option of the number of caches you want to send be added to the "send to cachmate" window?  Is this even feasable?

Andrew,

One way to do this is to use User Flag. Set up the subset you want, click User Flags->Set for next xx records. Then filter on User Flag set. Export this filter to CacheMate.

And for more info on this same question please see this post

Also note that if you are using a macro *all* exports have a from and to token to enable this automatically without setting a filter

Edited by ClydeE

This is probably idiot simple but I haven't figure out how.

How do I highlight/select a contiguous group of caches on a database list? In ordinary Windows apps if you highlight the first item your want and then Shift-Click the last item, it selects/highlights all items in between.

How do I do this in GSAK? I'm aware of "Set for next nn records." To use this you must count how many caches you want. It's about as easy to tick each one as to count them. I'm looking for a point and shoot method.

As an aside, what is the tiny column on the far left (to the left of Code) for? It seems to cry out for the item list count/item number.

How do I highlight/select a contiguous group of caches on a database list? In ordinary Windows apps if you highlight the first item your want and then Shift-Click the last item, it selects/highlights all items in between.

Unfortunately this is a limitation of the grid control that is being used. When enabling shift click for this control you can't update the grid - This means you wouldn't be able to update the user flag, found flag, or any of the other columns that are updatable. So being the lesser of two evils I have disabled selection by shift and control click, and you must use the user flag to simulate this functionality.

However, you could write a macro to automate this so there is no need to use the "set user flag for next nn". For example, if you set the user flag for the first and last waypoints, your macro could be written to automatically set all the user flags between these two. You could then add this macro as a tool button, then the procedure would simply be:

1. Click in the userflag box of the first waypoint you want selected

2. Click in the userflag box of the last waypoint you want selected

3. Click on the new tool button.

As an aside, what is the tiny column on the far left (to the left of Code) for? It seems to cry out for the item list count/item number.

This is just the inbuilt grid current row indicator. If you want to see the relative row number of a waypoint then right mouse click and select "Show current row number"

OK, I'll admit it.. I'm a GSAK newbie.. I've been trying to figure out the correct code to rename the geocaches to my GPSr. I've tried so many combinations my head hurts... I think it shoud look something like %typ%drop2%name (I want to replace the GC with The type of cache multi, regular etc. so that it would look like TC1234 for a multi.. I'm would also like to know if I can change the letter that represents the type. GSAK makes a multi cache a "T" can I change it to a "M"??

Please help...

EELBOY :D

OK, I'll admit it.. I'm a GSAK newbie..  I've been trying to figure out the correct code to rename the geocaches to my GPSr. I've tried so many combinations my head hurts... I think it shoud look something like %typ%drop2%name (I want to replace the GC with The type of cache multi, regular etc. so that it would look like  TC1234 for a multi.. I'm would also like to know if I can change the letter that represents the type. GSAK makes a multi cache a "T" can I change it to a "M"??

The actual combination of special tags you want for your initial request is %typ1%drop2

However, if you want to have complete control over the letters used for the cache type you can do this using the %macro tag

For a similar example of the %macro special tag please see this post

Edited by ClydeE
OK, I'll admit it.. I'm a GSAK newbie..  I've been trying to figure out the correct code to rename the geocaches to my GPSr. I've tried so many combinations my head hurts... I think it shoud look something like %typ%drop2%name (I want to replace the GC with The type of cache multi, regular etc. so that it would look like  TC1234 for a multi.. I'm would also like to know if I can change the letter that represents the type. GSAK makes a multi cache a "T" can I change it to a "M"??

Please help...

EELBOY :D

From the GSAK help file, special tags, Cache Type:

%typ1 - letters used are as follows: T=traditional, M=multi, B=letterbox hybrid, C=CITO, E=event, L=locationless, V=virtual, W=webcam, O=Other, G=Benchmark, R=Earth, and Y=mystery/Unknown.

Note that a multi cache is an "M" in GSAK. A "T" is a traditional cache. There's also Container Type:

%con1 - letters used are as follows: R=regular, L=large, M=micro, S=Small, V=Virtual, and U=unknown.  If the cache type is not stated, the letter used is U.

If you want cache type container type code (minus the GC), the following will do the trick: %typ1%con1%drop2

If you have room on your GPSr, you can also use a space to separate the tags and enhance readability, eg:

%typ1%con1 %drop2

Edit: Clyde was faster and more comprehensive! :D

Edited by Kai Team

Warning:

I am getting a few users saying that lately their finds have gone AWOL.

If you have recently loaded PQ's and wonder why some of your finds and found logs are missing this is a Groundspeak "glitch" with the PQ - they are actually missing from the PQ.

For more information please see this post

Edited by ClydeE
ClydeE Posted on Aug 31 2005, 03:45 PM

Warning:

I am getting a few users saying that lately their finds have gone AWOL.

If you have recently loaded PQ's and wonder why some of your finds and found logs are missing this is a Groundspeak "glitch" with the PQ - they are actually missing from the PQ.

For more information please see this post 

Hello Clyde,

You've been very helpful when I've been stumped before, so I'll give it another go this time. Pardon the overly detailed explanation below, but you seem to like detail...

I did see the forum entry you provided above. I don't think this is a PQ problem though. Not strictly speaking anyway. The individual gpx dl'd from the cache page does have the finder code right (I think).

I upgraded to 6.0.2 today prior to entering a new "find". Upgrade appears to have gone perfectly, so I can't say for certain it is relevant.

I went to gc.com and entered the new find. After verifying the log entry went OK, I dl'd the individual gpx file and imported it into GSAK, expecting the new find to be automatically detected by the updated gpx file.

GSAK reported:

Total Waypoints Processed: 1

Total Waypoints Added: 0

Total Waypoints Updated: 0

The cache in question remained unchanged in GSAK.

I assumed the gpx I received from gc.com failed to have the updated information. I opened the gpx with a text editor and it appears it contains the proper information. In part it includes:

<Groundspeak:logs>

<Groundspeak:log id="10017517">

<Groundspeak:date>2005-08-T07:00:00</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:type>Found it</Groundspeak:type>

<Groundspeak:finder id="127157">Pen&Card</Groundspeak:finder>

That's me in red above. I don't know enough about gpx files to know if this is properly formatted or not, but the finder id is correct, and so is the name. I compared previous gpx files that have worked, and they appear to be the same as far as I can tell.

I had not changed any of my GSAK settings in the general tab for "Method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches. It had always been "Pen&Card" and Wild card match selected. I decided to change that setting to Exact match, 127157.

No change. GSAK still does not recognize the find.

I'm guessing it is something to do with the gpx file, but the coincidence of upgrading when I did...

FWIW,

- Pen

I went to gc.com and entered the new find. After verifying the log entry went OK, I dl'd the individual gpx file and imported it into GSAK, expecting the new find to be automatically detected by the updated gpx file.

GSAK reported:

Ok, the real problem here is why the summary says that you processed 1 waypoint but nothing was added or updated. It must at least be added or updated to have a chance of being added to your finds.

Do you have this cahe locked?

Check your database update options on the load dialog - perhaps you have selected "exisiting only" and this cache is not yet in your database.

If you still can't work out why it is not being added/updated to your database please send me a copy of this GPX file together with a screen shot of you load dialog.

Edited by ClydeE
thanks for the new update Clyde - I like the stats option back in the mail import routine.

I was hoping that the new mail import routine would also automagically click the link through to gc.com to turn on the pocketquery for next week :-)

Actually I did think about that :D

However, as this was supposed to a "temporary" measure I dismissed the idea.

I still don't understand why they are doing this as now that more than a full week has passed all the "dead" PQs should have been weeded out.

However, you can automate the setting of PQs back on in a GSAK macro with the use of the WEB command.

If gsak read the text of the email it might be possible to grab the url needed. A real clunky way to do it without the body of the email would be to do a case select statement for each pocket query (but I'd have to watch the days it needs running) but as far as I can tell the macro doesn't reference the pocket query name anywhere?

in pseudo code i'd do

case select pq

name=ohio1

WEB webaddress&day=1

WEB webaddress&day=2

WEB webaddress&day=3

name=ohio2

WEB webaddress2&day=2

WEB webaddress2&day=3

end case

alternatively I could just do the following EVERY time i do an import...

WEB url1

WEB url2

WEB url3

WEB url4

until I have done 22 web requests (although for some people this would be 35 (5 queries*7 days a week)

maybe i'm just not clever; how do i import my old databases into my newly downloaded recent version?

If you installed the new version to the same folder, then GSAK will automatically recognize your old databases.

If for some reason you installed to another folder or another computer then use the File=>Backup and File=>Restore to move databases.

i'm sorry, clyde-

can you give me more of a step-by-step?

i tried what i thought it should be but i'm clueless.

Flask,

Assuming that you've installed GSAK in a new directory or on a new computer (you didn't say), step by step help is available in the GSAK help file or online here (remember that you can click on any part of the graphic in help for more detailed information):

Backup

Restore

The basic procedure is:

1) Open you old installation of GSAK, go to the file menu, choose "Backup", enter the path and filename for the backup file you want to create, select the databases you want to back up, check "Save GSAK settings", click on "Backup", close GSAK.

2) If you're going between computers, transfer the backup files GSAK created to the other computer.

3) Open your new installation of GSAK, go to the file menu, choose "restore", navigate to where you saved your backup files, click on "Select all Databases", check "restore all GSAK settings" and click on "Restore".

I'm running GSAK version 6.0.1. having recently upgraded. I just exported a file of MXF files to my PPC and when I try to import them into Outdoor Navigator on my mobile device I get the msg - "Import Error The import file has incorrect data. Importing cannot continue". I exported some a couple weeks ago before upgrading and things were fine. Could this be a GSAK glich?

thank you. i got it worked out, but it took me a while.

the problem is that it's my work machine, where thiings do not necessarily speak to each other. our sysadmin is about to install "deep freeze" so i'm scurrying to get everything i care for onto the server instead of my local machine.

'course, the whole thing is a clustertangle anyway, unlike my home machine which is very, very orderly.

ClydeE Posted on Aug 31 2005, 04:42 PM

GSAK reported:

OK, the real problem here is why the summary says that you processed 1 waypoint but nothing was added or updated. It must at least be added or updated to have a chance of being added to your finds.

Do you have this cahe locked?

Check your database update options on the load dialog - perhaps you have selected "exisiting only" and this cache is not yet in your database.

If you still can't work out why it is not being added/updated to your database please send me a copy of this GPX file together with a screen shot of you load dialog.

Thanks Clyde,

Although the problem was not exactly as you suspected, it was operator error. I had the load control "newer only" selected. Prior to doing my find entry, I had loaded the day's PQ which included this cache. I'm guessing that made subsequent attempts to update this cache fail as GSAK would have read the file as being the same date, hence not a "new" update. Right?

In any event, today's files loaded and GSAK processed the cache as a find.

Learned something, anyway.

Thanks,

- Pen

[Thanks Clyde,

Although the problem was not exactly as you suspected, it was operator error. I had the load control "newer only" selected. Prior to doing my find entry, I had loaded the day's PQ which included this cache. I'm guessing that made subsequent attempts to update this cache fail as GSAK would have read the file as being the same date, hence not a "new" update. Right?

Correct.

The "newer only" option is to help you safe guard against updating your database with information that is older . For example, accidently loading a very old GPX file.

However, this is the type of issue you can run into when having it selected.

I'm running GSAK version 6.0.1. having recently upgraded. I just exported a file of MXF files to my PPC and when I try to import them into Outdoor Navigator on my mobile device I get the msg - "Import Error The import file has incorrect data. Importing cannot continue". I exported some a couple weeks ago before upgrading and things were fine. Could this be a GSAK glich?

This issue was resolved in version 6.0.2 (latest version)

Please download from http://gsak.net

I'm running GSAK version 6.0.1. having recently upgraded.  I just exported a file of MXF  files to my PPC and when I try to import them into Outdoor Navigator on my mobile device I get the msg - "Import Error The import file has incorrect data.  Importing cannot continue".  I exported some a couple weeks ago before upgrading and things were fine.  Could this be a GSAK glich?

This issue was resolved in version 6.0.2 (latest version)

Please download from http://gsak.net

Thanks Clyde.

My filter for "found" caches displays the correct caches. But the count on the bottom right is incorrect. It shows a higher number. Since I use the user data field to manually number my caches, I know that no extra caches are being displayed. On the bottom more to the left it says 90 shown (out of 303). This is correct but on the left the yellow square for found caches says 117. All other searches display correctly. Found also used to display correctly. Not sure when or why I lost it.