Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Is anyone else experiencing REALLY slow downloads of GPX files from G-mail since the last GSAK 6.0.1 update? GSAK used to grab these files from the mail server in just a matter of seconds (small GPX files of course 2446K), but since I've installed the 6.0.1 update, these same downloads from G-mail take 8-10 minutes. Don't know if its GSAK or Gmail or something in between. I can manually login to gmail and download the attachments in just a few seconds, but this same process now takes forever from GSAK.

John

Is anyone else experiencing REALLY slow downloads of GPX files from G-mail since the last GSAK 6.0.1 update?

No.

Sorry, that may not be much help, but it does tell you it's not "everybody". Others might have better suggestions what the cause could be.

(I think I might have had this happen once. I attributed it to busy cable lines or gmail.)

Clyde / anyone else this has probably been asked before.

If i generate a new gpx file in gsak lets say for off coast islands in the UK for example and then make this file available to the general public does it violate anyones terms and conditions of use?

ie do i need permision to do this before doing it?

Clyde / anyone else this has probably been asked before.

If i generate a new gpx file in gsak lets say for off coast islands in the UK for example and then make this file available to the general public does it violate anyones terms and conditions of use?

ie do i need permision to do this before doing it?

I am no lawyer, but if you make public any GPX file that has Groundspeak extensions, I believe you may be violating copyright.

LOC files are more generic and because they are already available to the public (unlike GPX files which are only for premium members) I think this would be ok. So if the information you want to share is only the coordinates and waypoint name, then the export LOC file format should do the job.

However, as already stated I really don't know, so as unpalatable as it may seem I suggest you ask clarification from Groundspeak.

Edited by ClydeE

Hi Cyde,

Below is the bare bones of a macro that crashes on just one cache of the 2500 in my database: The Photographer's Cache II by Markwell (GC384E). My thought was the problem was the upper limit on string length but I could not find what that was. The intent of the full macro is to use regex on the $data variable to glean and report information.

####################

Goto Position=Top

while .not. $_eol

$status = "Now processing: " + $d_name

ShowStatus msg="$status"

$data = $d_ShortDescription

#this line crashes on just one cache

$data = $data + $d_LongDescription

Goto position=Next

Endwhile

####################

Hi Cyde,

Below is the bare bones of a macro that crashes on just one cache of the 2500 in my database: The Photographer's Cache II by Markwell (GC384E). My thought was the problem was the upper limit on string length but I could not find what that was. The intent of the full macro is to use regex on the $data variable to glean and report information.

####################

Goto Position=Top

while .not. $_eol

$status = "Now processing: " + $d_name

ShowStatus msg="$status"

$data = $d_ShortDescription

#this line crashes on just one cache

$data = $data + $d_LongDescription

Goto position=Next

Endwhile

####################

Yea, bummer.

I just had a look at the database expression engine I am using.

Looking up the docs it does say that character expressions are limited to 16,000 bytes

When you look at the Long description for that cache it is indeed greater than 16k

I did make mention of this in an earlier post, but because I am still getting questions asking me "were are my GSAK PQs" I will repeat.

It has been brought to my attention that some or all PQs from Groundspeak are being sent with the following in the body of the email:

Please note: Due to the recent issues with the Pocket Query Generator, you will

need to click on the link at the end of this email to re-run this query a week

from today. This is a temporary solution until we can speed up the Generator.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Many users just don't look at the PQ emails, and have missed this.

If you are using GetMail then you probably don't get to look at the body of the message so you may not be aware of this.

Workarounds until GrounSpeak sort this out

1. Stop using GetMail to pick up your Queries

2. Make sure you select the option "Leave on server" after matching download. That way you can still get these via a normal email client and then click on the link to make sure you get them next week.

2. Make sure you select the option "Leave on server" after matching download. That way you can still get these via a normal email client and then click on the link to make sure you get them next week.

You can also go to the Run Pocket Queries page and check the day you want the PQ to run. The link is the same code.

Workarounds until GrounSpeak sort this out

Just to clarify some issues (since I'm a happy user of getmail and PQs).

The link in the e-mail just gets you to your PQs. It's not magic...so you really don't need it once you know that ALL PQs are unchecked for the day selected after they run.

So what I do is go to my PQ page at least once a week and re-check the PQs that have been unchecked (this, of course, requires you to remember what days you want them to run.,)

(Actually, I go there each day that I receive a PQ if I want that PQ to run the next week.)

You can also go to the Run Pocket Queries page and check the day you want the PQ to run. The link is the same code.

Thanks Jester, I forgot about that.

This solution may well be the best for GetMail users.

This way you don't need to change the way you have set up GSAK to process your mail.

The downside is that you must remember to log into to your PQ page and reenable the PQs you want to run next week.

Thanks Jester, I forgot about that.

This solution may well be the best for GetMail users.

This way you don't need to change the way you have set up GSAK to process your mail.

The downside is that you must remember to log into to your PQ page and reenable the PQs you want to run next week.

Yes, but you only have to do this once for each day, if you have PQs running daily. Or once a week if you only have PQs running once per week. I get all of the caches for Utah, and that takes 9 PQs, so I have to run them on 2 different days. Now, if Jeremy would allow entire state downloads, I'd only need 1. laughing-smiley-006.gif

It would seem to me (and I plan on trying it tonight), that if a person were to put "WEB" commands at the end of their "GETMAIL" macro, you could force your PQ's "on" by visiting each of the "links" that get sent in the email.

(the link is the same for each day's specific PQ)

But, don't tell the frog I said that.

It would seem to me (and I plan on trying it tonight), that if a person were to put "WEB" commands at the end of their "GETMAIL" macro, you could force your PQ's "on" by visiting each of the "links" that get sent in the email.

(the link is the same for each day's specific PQ)

But, don't tell the frog I said that.

Said what? laughing-smiley-006.gif

Is anyone else experiencing REALLY slow downloads of GPX files from G-mail since the last GSAK 6.0.1 update?  GSAK used to grab these files from the mail server in just a matter of seconds (small GPX files of course 2446K), but since I've installed the 6.0.1 update, these same downloads from G-mail take 8-10 minutes.  Don't know if its GSAK or Gmail or something in between.  I can manually login to gmail and download the attachments in just a few seconds, but this same process now takes forever from GSAK.

John

Yup, I have noticed this as well. It could be one of three things?

1) GSAK 2) ISP 3) Gmail... any other options?

I had already noticed in the past that GSAK seems to hesitate when it gets part way through the first PQ download and then screams through the rest of my download of a couple of PQ's. (I say screams because I have just changed to ADSL / Broadband :mad:)

Today the slight pause turned into an extended wait. A couple of caching mates have also noticed this problem today when we had a quick chat so I am posting on behalf of them too.

Since we all use different ISP's then I think we could discount that option.

I tried to get out of the download by clicking on the cancel button. Unfortunately, this doesn't actually cancel the download and has, in the past, led to a freeze of GSAK. When I got back into GSAK (I just left it running in the background) and used GetMail again, it appeared that the first PQ had disappeared somewhere.

Now what could have happened that we have all suddenly got this problem at the same time. GSAK can't "go off" on everybody simultaneously so is there a background issue with GMail?

Clyde - is it possible to get a cancel button that stops the download? Is this only an issue with GetMail? Any other faults that spring to mind? GPX / Groundspeak problems?

This is not really the same issue, but when I try to use the GetMail I always get an error from GSAK saying : Mail Download error. Error message is: Error connecting with SSL

I am sure I have the ports all set up correctly. I used the settings that Outlook uses to correctly access the e-mail.

Two Things:

1) My GetMail through Gmail has also slowed to a crawl, and froze at 66% on the download I just tried (I hit cancel and GSAK was reported as "not responding"). I logged into Gmail and the PQ downloaded normally. It was working fine on Saturday (using the latest version of GSAK), so it appears something happened in the last few days. Since it's happening with a variety of ISP's, that's not likely to be the problem. Nothing has changed in my version of GSAK since Saturday (I haven't even opened the program since Saturday), so I don't think GSAK is the problem. Which makes me wonder if something has changed at Gmail...

2) Re: Running your PQ's again, another approach is to drag the link from your email to your desktop (or anywhere else you'd like it). Rename it so that it makes sense to you (e.g. use the name of the PQ).

If you allow cookies from geocaching.com and check "Remember Me" on the login screen, you should stay logged in after you close your browser. Next time you retrieve your PQ's with GetMail in GSAK, just double-click the shortcut on your desktop for each PQ that you want to run again.

Two Things:

2) <snip> Rename it so that it makes sense to you (e.g. use the name of the PQ). 

What a great idea, almost exactly something I've recently asked Clyde if it was possible to implement :mad:.

Edited by Motley Crew
This is not really the same issue, but when I try to use the GetMail I always get an error from GSAK saying : Mail Download error. Error message is: Error connecting with SSL

I am sure I have the ports all set up correctly. I used the settings that Outlook uses to correctly access the e-mail.

SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer" - it's a protocol developed for transmitting private documents via the Internet. It's separate from which ports you're using.

If you're using an email server that requires SSL (e.g. Gmail), make sure that you've checked the box next to "SSL Login" in the GSAK GetMail dialog box. If you're not using a mail server that requires SSL, make sure you've UNchecked that box. If you're not sure if your mail server requires SSL, trying checking or unchecking this box to see if it fixes the problem!

Is anyone else experiencing REALLY slow downloads of GPX files from G-mail since the last GSAK 6.0.1 update?  GSAK used to grab these files from the mail server in just a matter of seconds (small GPX files of course 2446K), but since I've installed the 6.0.1 update, these same downloads from G-mail take 8-10 minutes.  Don't know if its GSAK or Gmail or something in between.  I can manually login to gmail and download the attachments in just a few seconds, but this same process now takes forever from GSAK.

Absolutely nothing in the code has changed in the GetMail code for Version 6.

When you say you can manually log in to Gamil and download the attachments in just a few seconds - that is using the web interface. This is completely different than using pop3 to access this account. Try using a pop3 client to get the mail and I suspect you will get similar delays.

However, as has been noticed in the past Gmail does have a number of quirks. I am also a believer in "there is no such thing as a free lunch" and some of the problems are the price you pay for using Gmail.

One item that does seem to come into play here is the number of messages you have in you Gmail account.

Also note that unlike other pop3 accounts one of the "quirks" of Gmail is that if you issue a pop3 delete the email is not physically removed in Gmail - it is just flagged in the Gmail account but still there. You can log into through the web interface and still see all messages.

To be honest, I would not recommend GMail if you are just using it as a mailbox to send your PQs to and download using GSAK GetMail. Normally your account that you have with your ISP allows for more than one email address, so I would very much recommend using one of these as your GSAK conduit. Advantages of this are:

1. These are usually standard pop3 accounts and don't have the "quirks" associated with Gmail.

2. Response is excellent as there is only one hop between you and your ISP

3. Your ISP usually provides 24x7 phone support should you run into any problems

Edited by ClydeE
Where do we add user request?

I would like to have and Export button to google earth directly from GSAK. If a lot a people ask it, I suppose the priority will go up for sure!

Tks a lot.

Mat.

Unless I don't understand what you want to do, this is already available and almost one button. I just did it.

Wornout,

I'm impressed! That is a cool technique for Google Earth. When I met you in San Felipe last Thanksgiving, I ha no idea that you're a GSAK/Google Earth guru! :laughing:

Thanks for the tip, I'll be using it to load the San Felipe caches when I come down to Percebu again in November!

Tycho and the Lost Girls

This is not really the same issue, but when I try to use the GetMail I always get an error from GSAK saying :  Mail Download error.  Error message is: Error connecting with SSL

I am sure I have the ports all set up correctly.  I used the settings that Outlook uses to correctly access the e-mail.

SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer" - it's a protocol developed for transmitting private documents via the Internet. It's separate from which ports you're using.

If you're using an email server that requires SSL (e.g. Gmail), make sure that you've checked the box next to "SSL Login" in the GSAK GetMail dialog box. If you're not using a mail server that requires SSL, make sure you've UNchecked that box. If you're not sure if your mail server requires SSL, trying checking or unchecking this box to see if it fixes the problem!

I am using an E-mail that requires a SSL (ATT Worldnet) and I do have the box checked. If I uncheck the box, the error goes away, but then so does GSAK. It basicly hangs and never returns

This is not really the same issue, but when I try to use the GetMail I always get an error from GSAK saying :  Mail Download error.  Error message is: Error connecting with SSL

I am sure I have the ports all set up correctly.  I used the settings that Outlook uses to correctly access the e-mail.

I am using an E-mail that requires a SSL (ATT Worldnet) and I do have the box checked. If I uncheck the box, the error goes away, but then so does GSAK. It basicly hangs and never returns

Do you know what version of SSL your email server requires (GSAK is using version 2) ?

If you are willing to set up an account for me on your server and email me the user id, password, and server address I will see if I can log into the account by testing different versions.

Hi, a simple question for the export to garmins mapsource with mps/gpx - is there a chance to assign the temporary closed/not availible caches (the red ones in GSAK) a DIFFERENT cache symbol (similiar as it worked with included tb´s, for example)?

Yes, you can allocate any of the Garmin supported MapSource symbols.

Just before you do the export to MapSource, click on the "change" button and select the required icon from the drop down list for status of "Archived"

What are the proper settings for MacroSet on the MoveCopy dialog to do a copy?

No matter the settings, it always appears to move. I used the procedure in the help to generate the settings but the behavior is always to 'move' the waypoints.

For reference, this is the generated snippet with my code:

########################################

# set up the dialog to copy in to 'Temp'

<data> VarName=$MoveCopy

[TfmMove]

cbxDestination.Text=Temp

rbtAdd.Checked=True

rbtAddFlag.Checked=False

rbtAddIgnore.Checked=False

rbtCopy.Checked=False

rbtExistIgnore.Checked=False

rbtFlagOnly.Checked=False

rbtMove.Checked=True

rbtReplace.Checked=True

rbtReplaceFlag.Checked=False

chkDisplay.Checked=True

<enddata>

MacroSet Dialog=MoveCopy VarName=$MoveCopy

MoveCopy Settings=<macro>

No matter the settings, it always appears to move. I used the procedure in the help to generate the settings but the behavior is always to 'move' the waypoints.

<data> VarName=$MoveCopy

[TfmMove]

cbxDestination.Text=Temp

rbtAdd.Checked=True

rbtAddFlag.Checked=False

rbtCopy.Checked=False

rbtMove.Checked=True

rbtReplace.Checked=True

chkDisplay.Checked=True

<enddata>

Without checking further, I can see 2 things that strike me as wrong:

rbtCopy.Checked=False

rbtMove.Checked=True

I would think that they need to be the other way around.

<data> VarName=$MoveCopy

[TfmMove]

cbxDestination.Text=Temp

rbtAdd.Checked=True

rbtAddFlag.Checked=False

rbtCopy.Checked=False

rbtMove.Checked=True

rbtReplace.Checked=True

chkDisplay.Checked=True

<enddata>

Without checking further, I can see 2 things that strike me as wrong:

rbtCopy.Checked=False

rbtMove.Checked=True

I would think that they need to be the other way around.

GrandpaKim is correct.

If you used the procedure in the help file (making sure to click on the "copy" radio button first) then the correct code should have been generated - well it did for me as I just tried this very example.

Edited by ClydeE

Do you know what version of SSL your email server requires (GSAK is using version 2) ?

If you are willing to set up an account for me on your server and email me the user id, password, and server address I will see if I can log into the account by testing different versions.

Thanks for setting up an account for me to test.

Good news <_< . I got it to work using version 3 of SSL. I am not sure why I selected Version 2 as the default for SSL connections (I think perhaps that is the default given with the SSL component I am using).

I also tested with my gmail account and V3 works fine with that as well, so I will now make this the default for SSL connections.

I will put this fix into the next maintenace release but If anyone that is having the same problem with a SSL pop3 account let me know and I will send you a preview copy now.

Ok I'm hooked! the check will be in the mail soon <_< I was wondering if I could entice the developer to add a map display directly into the program similar to what ExpertGPS has. That way we'd only need one program... I'm currently trying to use USAPhotoMaps for my mapping application, but I only just got it installed and haven't figured out yet exactly how GSAK can help me with it yet.

Thanks for a great product and the check really will be in the mail soon.

Kurt for TM7AS

Ok I'm hooked! the check will be in the mail soon <_< I was wondering if I could entice the developer to add a map display directly into the program similar to what ExpertGPS has. That way we'd only need one program... I'm currently trying to use USAPhotoMaps for my mapping application, but I only just got it installed and haven't figured out yet exactly how GSAK can help me with it yet.

Thanks for a great product and the check really will be in the mail soon.

Kurt for TM7AS

Mapping is really another ball game. There are so many programs that do mapping already and GSAK has hooks for most of them.

So unfortunately adding mapping to GSAK is very much at the bottom of "the list" at the moment.

For instant online maps, check out all the shipped custom URLs (you can also add your own) - Just right click on a cache and select "Custom URL"

Any chance of GSAK being able to export info as a .trp file for the wretched currently lacking Magellan RoadMate series?

GSAK uses GPSBabel for most exports (especially the obscure ones)

So if GPSBabel will support it then so will GSAK

You might like to put your request in the GPSBabel list

Edited by ClydeE

I've had a few requests for RM, but it's been a very low number. The last time I approached Thales about this, I was told that RM didn't support host upload of waypoints or routes so it seemed there was nothing for us to do.

If you have specs on this .trp thing and/or are willing to do the code, please contact me.

Hey ClydeE,

Again, great program. I was not sure if this was mentioned prior, so.. I wanted to comment on the google custom link. Currently when I click on it it shows the satellite map, but no pointer. Playing around with the link, I got something that appears to work.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.724983333,-116.9397833&t=k

If you just add the &t=k at the end of the coordinates, it will show the satellite image with a pointer.

Is this worth even changing?

Adelos

Hey Clyde, it has been a while since I posted. I don't have any requests, you keep putting in all the great stuff. I can't believe I am doing PQ filters withing macros to automate the loading of the Palm and 60CS, keep up the good work, on a great program, it is really appreciated. Thanks again to you, and to Robertlipe too (I know he reads this thread). :huh::o:o

Hey ClydeE,

Again, great program.  I was not sure if this was mentioned prior, so.. I wanted to comment on the google custom link.  Currently when I click on it it shows the satellite map, but no pointer.  Playing around with the link, I got something that appears to work.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.724983333,-116.9397833&t=k

If you just add the &t=k at the end of the coordinates, it will show the satellite image with a pointer.

Is this worth even changing?

Actually, the current GSAK shipped defaut for Google Satellite view is :

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%name)&spn=0.020,0.020&t=k

This not only shows a pointer, but the GCXXXX code and Cache name

Unfortunately when you do an update of GSAK these shipped versions of custom URL's are not overriden. The reason being that you may have made your own custom changes to them and we don't want the install to clobber those custom changes.

So for all new installs of GSAK, users get the latest Google URL with pointer, gc code, and name.

Edited by ClydeE

Is there any way to prevent GSAK from adding the quotation marks when exporting a CSV file? I just bought a new Garmin Street Pilot 2720, and it seems the only way to enter waypoints is through Garmin's uploader, and the uploader chokes on the quotes.

A bit of advice:

If anyone is thinking of purchasing a 2720 with an eye towards caching, my advice (so far, at least) is DON'T. My old Street Pilot III was a marvelous caching tool. It seems Garmin has done everything possible to inhibit any useful waypoint upload/mark/display capability. Perhaps I'll find a way to beat this thing at whatever game it's playing, but so far I'm not optimistic.

Is there any way to prevent GSAK from adding the quotation marks when exporting a CSV file? I just bought a new Garmin Street Pilot 2720, and it seems the only way to enter waypoints is through Garmin's uploader, and the uploader chokes on the quotes.

Will it accept tab delimited files? (these do not have the quotes around each item)

However, for absolute control over what gets generated to a CSV file use the TextOut function in the macro language. This function has the option to remove double quotes from all the exported fields. With the use of the quote function you could also have some fields output with double quotes and some without.

Is there any way to prevent GSAK from adding the quotation marks when exporting a CSV file?  I just bought a new Garmin Street Pilot 2720, and it seems the only way to enter waypoints is through Garmin's uploader, and the uploader chokes on the quotes.

Will it accept tab delimited files? (these do not have the quotes around each item)

However, for absolute control over what gets generated to a CSV file use the TextOut function in the macro language. This function has the option to remove double quotes from all the exported fields. With the use of the quote function you could also have some fields output with double quotes and some without.

Clyde, the promptness of your response was unbelievable!

It accepts the tab delimited file, however it doesn't process correctly. It tells me there are no locations within 500 miles. I guess it needs the commas, even though it accepts a file tabs.

Looks like I'm about to get an education in macros.

Is there any way to prevent GSAK from adding the quotation marks when exporting a CSV file?  I just bought a new Garmin Street Pilot 2720, and it seems the only way to enter waypoints is through Garmin's uploader, and the uploader chokes on the quotes.

It accepts the tab delimited file, however it doesn't process correctly. It tells me there are no locations within 500 miles. I guess it needs the commas, even though it accepts a file tabs.

Or you could just do a search and replace in the generated tab delimited file and replace all tabs with commas :laughing: (just in case some of the descriptions have a comma inside them you may want to replace commas with a space first. )

Or you could just do a search and replace in the generated tab delimited file and replace all tabs with commas :laughing: (just in case some of the descriptions have a comma inside them you may want to replace commas with a space first. )

Well, that works. Here's hoping I can find an easier way to do this though. Thanks again Clyde!

Not sure if this has been requested before....... I'd like to create a filter that shows only a specific number of waypoints. For example, I'd like to have just 150 waypoints that are 20 mile radius from my center point. Any way I can do this? Thanks in advance

The way I would do that is filter for 20 miles from center point, clear all user flags, set user flags for the first 150 waypoints and then switch to my "check mark filter".

I don't know if that sounds complicated, but using user flags for various manipulations has become a favorite tool for me.

Not sure if this has been requested before....... I'd like to create a filter that shows only a specific number of waypoints. For example, I'd like to have just 150 waypoints that are 20 mile radius from my center point. Any way I can do this? Thanks in advance

Hello

I wrote a macro for this showing me the 500 Not found caches around my home-location, also built a macro-button for this. so it is very easy to use.

Feel free to use it or ask again if you need help with it.

Chris

###########################################################
# 
# This macro will allow you to select 500 not found caches around your selected location.
#
# Note: you must have a saved filter called 
# "User flag" with just the user flag equals set in the filter.
# and
# "Not found" not found caches
# The location "Home" is defined in Menu: Tools - Options - Tab Locations
#
###############################################################
CENTER location="Home"
#SORT By="Distance"
USERFLAG Type=Clear Range=all
FILTER Name="Not Found"
USERFLAG Type=Set Range=500	
FILTER Name="User flag (GSAK Default)"

GOTO Position=Top

Can you confirm your macro? I ran it and recived an error that the name was incorrect. Also, should there be # before SORT? Thx

Yes this macro is running every day. Did you read the note?

You need a center location "home". If not you get an error. If you want to use an other center location you have to change the macro.

Also there is the need of to predefined filters (both shipped with GSAK)

Not found

and

User flag (GSAK Default)

You can find them if you click the combo-box "Select a saved filter" in GSAK.

The # before SORT by... is a relict and can be deleted.

When you define a CENTER Location before there is no need for an another sorting (already sorted). I forgot to delete this line. Sorry