Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I am a BlackBerry user and am wondering if there is a way to use GSAK with this device? When I have no service, it would be great to have the GSAK database available and be able to leave the PDA behind. Carrying too many devices is a pain in the woods and some of the other tight spots geocaching leads me to explore.

Thanks for your help and a great product.

I am a BlackBerry user and am wondering if there is a way to use GSAK with this device? When I have no service, it would be great to have the GSAK database available and be able to leave the PDA behind. Carrying too many devices is a pain in the woods and some of the other tight spots geocaching leads me to explore.

Thanks for your help and a great product.

I don't know anything about a Blackberry, but if you can run Windows programs on it, then you can run GSAK. If not, then no.

:rolleyes: Hello Clyde: Help! Yeasterday I downloaded your latest version of GSAK and now my computer is telling me it is corrupt. What is happening? My other downloads all came out ok?

Your post is a little light on details. We can help you better if you state:

1) exactly what you're doing just before the message appears (i.e. installing GSAK, starting GSAK, something else?), and

2) exactly what the message says.

Otherwise we'd just be guessing at what the problem might be, like this: Assuming you're saying that you get a message that the file is corrupted when you try to install GSAK, try downloading it again. Files do sometimes get corrupted while being transferred across the Internet.

<_< Hello Clyde: Help! Yeasterday I downloaded your latest version of GSAK and now my computer is telling me it is corrupt. What is happening? My other downloads all came out ok?

Your post is a little light on details. We can help you better if you state:

1) exactly what you're doing just before the message appears (i.e. installing GSAK, starting GSAK, something else?), and

2) exactly what the message says.

Otherwise we'd just be guessing at what the problem might be, like this: Assuming you're saying that you get a message that the file is corrupted when you try to install GSAK, try downloading it again. Files do sometimes get corrupted while being transferred across the Internet.

Seconded - excellent advice :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Hello Clyde: Help! Yeasterday I downloaded your latest version of GSAK and now my computer is telling me it is corrupt. What is happening? My other downloads all came out ok?

It sounds like your install download is corrupt. The installer has a bitmap integrity check to make sure the install file is 100% complete. It just means you download did not complete as it should.

Please delete the file, download again, and install.

However, before you do the download make sure you delete all temporary Internet files becuase the corrupt download is often cached by your browser and you will just get the bad version again if you don't do this.

Edited by ClydeE

Hi,

when I copy the "cache" folder to my PPC all the pictures which are in the cachedescription are missing. When I view them in GSAK it´s ok. Because the pictures are only linked with the originals I need an active internet connection to show them.

Is it possible to download these pictures and save them in the outputfolder like the spoiler pictures?

There are often needful infos in these pictures so i also need them on my PPC (for example GCPED8).

It would also be useful to download an include the maps from mapquest.

(there´s a german programm named Cachescanner which can do that....)

Greets KukiHN

(now a registered GSAK-User :rolleyes: )

when I copy the "cache" folder to my PPC all the pictures which are in the cachedescription are missing. When I view them in GSAK it´s ok. Because the pictures are only linked with the originals I need an active internet connection to show them.

Is it possible to download these pictures and save them in the outputfolder like the spoiler pictures?

There are often needful infos in these pictures so i also need them on my PPC (for example GCPED8).

Any pictures you want to view this way just download and then add then them to the GSAK user notes (use the picture button).

You can also use the SpoilerSync macro at http://gsak.net/Macros.php to automatically add spoiler photos to GSAK notes.

When you do the export to HTML make sure you tick the box "convert and copy file:// images" - This will ensure all these images are copied over to your PPC

Edited by ClydeE

Can other types of files be imported into GSAK? Here is what I want to do. I want to scan a list of waypoints that are not available to download, then import them into GSAK. From there, they will go to the GPSr. This would prevent having to manually enter the waypoints.

Can other types of files be imported into GSAK? Here is what I want to do. I want to scan a list of waypoints that are not available to download, then import them into GSAK. From there, they will go to the GPSr. This would prevent having to manually enter the waypoints.

You can only load GPX/LOC files into GSAK.

So you will need to make sure your data is in this format or converted to this format (using GPSBabel for example)

I would like to have and Export button to google earth directly from GSAK. If a lot a people ask it, I suppose the priority will go up for sure!

You can currently do this via a custom export using GPSBabel.

You can then save this as a setting and create a macro with one command you can add to the tool bar. This option is then only 1 mouse click away.

I am not at all against adding new exports, but the interface for GSAK is now becomming very "busy" and I must look very closely at what I do and don't add.

So I guess what I am asking before I add it to "the list" - What extra benefits would a GSAK native export offer over my work around above.

Where do we add user request?

I would like to have and Export button to google earth directly from GSAK. If a lot a people ask it, I suppose the priority will go up for sure!

Tks a lot.

Mat.

Unless I don't understand what you want to do, this is already available and almost one button. I just did it.

I brought up the database I am currently working with that I downloaded from GC.Com. Select 'Ctrl G' This exports the database in GPX format (Google Earth imports GPX files). Save it somewhere you can find it and bring up Google Earth.

Open this file with the Google Earth Open command, just change the file type from their default to 'GPX' by using the selection box on the screen under 'Files of Type'. Bingo, the waypoints appear on the map. On my Google Earth, they are in 'Temporary Places' under the GPS tab in the Waypoints tab. Good luck.

Here's a macro I made for Google Earth Export.

The GPSBabel documents say it's support for KML (google earth files) is "sketchy".

Plus, I use Google Earth for some things and I wanted flexibility with my exports. This copy of the macro is a simple version: it exports the waypoint name as the Google Earth Placemark name, and uses the GSAK waypoint's "Long Description" as the description that shows up in Google Earth. The exported file name is the Waypoint Code from GSAK. I have it so you can pick where to save the exported file.

http://searedice.rchomepage.com/geocaching...googleearth.txt

If you want to change things like what it saves the description as (like if you wanted hints in the Google Earth description instead of GSAK's Long Description, etc.), learn GSAK macro language and change my code, or just ask me...I'm willing to help. Right now the macro exports only the waypoint you have selected in GSAK...if you want it to do the whole list of waypoints or something, code it yourself, or ask me to...

-John

Edited by Seared Ice

Any chance of a Error flag for the macro's.

I have a macro that sets a filter that includes any waypoints that the GPX file is over 30 day old and then deletes them.

The problem is that if the filter is empty, it would just go a head and delete the whole DB.

If you could trap that the filter couldn't be applied then you could exit out of the macro.

Eg>

FILTER Name="Old Caches (Over 30 days old)"

If Err<>0

exit

endif

Thanks

Gary

OK I've downloaded GSAK & now how do i send GPX Files to my screen....everytime I upload caches to GSAK I get the ? as an icon & on split screen I get very little info.....I have tried readind help but very confusing....like where to I add all these codes ...Do I have to run a PQ whatever that is to get all the info on a cache /.....Help

OK I've downloaded GSAK & now how do i send GPX Files to my screen....everytime I upload caches to GSAK I get the ? as an icon & on split screen I get very little info.....I have tried readind help but very confusing....like where to I add all these codes ...Do I have to run a PQ whatever that is to get all the info on a cache /.....Help

Well Pocket Queries (PQ) is the best way to get lots of Caches down at one time, but if you want one at a time you can go to the Cache in question, and if you are logged in you should a link .. that says GPS exchange file (*.gpx) near the top of the listing ...

Click on that and save the file ... it should be namded with the Waypoint name plus the extention .gpx

Then in GSAK select menu FILE and then Load GPX/LOC

Browse to the downloaded file and hit Ok

that will load the cache into GSAK

hope that helps

Well Pocket Queries (PQ) is the best way to get lots of Caches down at one time, but if you want one at a time you can go to the Cache in question, and if you are logged in you should a link .. that says GPS exchange file (*.gpx) near the top of the listing ...

Click on that and save the file ... it should be namded with the Waypoint name plus the extention .gpx

Browse to the downloaded file and hit Ok

hope that helps

OK I tried that & I thought it would work but when i click ok it says there r no matching files to load???????? <_<

It sounds like you're loading LOC files, not GPX. LOC files have very limited info, GPX files have the full detail info.

Also make sure on the load command window that it is set to the same type of file as you saved (right under the box with the path name).

Browse to the downloaded file  and hit Ok

hope that helps

OK I tried that & I thought it would work but when i click ok it says there r no matching files to load???????? <_<

Then that is exactly the problem you are not telling GSAK to load the correct file.

Perhaps you are not navigating to the correct folder. Try clicking on the browse icon at the far right. If you use the browse window to find your file then it must exist and you won't get that error message.

Also do you know how to "drag and drop". You can just find your GPX/LOC file in windows explorer and then Drag it to GSAK. Also most email clients (Outlook is one noteable exception) support dragging the attachement to GSAK

Please see items 2 and 10 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

Browse to the downloaded file  and hit Ok

hope that helps

Then that is exactly the problem you are not telling GSAK to load the correct file.

Perhaps you are not navigating to the correct folder. Try clicking on the browse icon at the far right. If you use the browse window to find your file then it must exist and you won't get that error message.

Also do you know how to "drag and drop". You can just find your GPX/LOC file in windows explorer and then Drag it to GSAK. Also most email clients (Outlook is one noteable exception) support dragging the attachement to GSAK

Please see items 2 and 10 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

What happens if you double-click on the .gpx file? I've got that extension associated with GSAK, so all I have to do is double-click a file and it automatically opens in GSAK.

Hi,

I use memory map and I am trying to export my geocache info with local URLs. I have exported the HTML already to my PC (tried to do it to my Pocket PC but it wouldnt let me, if i could then problem sorted).

I then pointed the export to memory map option for the use local URL to the location on PC, as help file instucts. All ok

I import this file into Memory Map and all is well. I double click the geocache location and it goes and find the infomation on my pc. However when I export the information from memory map into memory map on my PDA I can no longer view the geocache URL info as its local to my PC.

Is there a way to export the HTML via a sync with the PDA so that when i export from memory map i can view the info out and about. Another possiblity is that I can type the file location where it would be in theory on the PDA in the local URL location and that exports. It would mean that memory map on pc wouldnt find the info but at least PDA would.

Does any of that make sense, its a little complicated.

What i basically want to be able to do is have just memory map running on my pda with all the info at hand. I seem so close just need to know what else i can try?

Any ideas??

Thanks,

If I open the attachment from a PQ email and drop it into GSAK, I get the "Load GPX/LOC" window.

I hit enter.

GSAK processes the PQ and when done returns a few "statistics" about he PQ. It tells me how many caches were added (these would be new and usually draw my immediate interest) as well as the number of caches that were updated.

I love the popup window.

I have been reading and playing with GSAK a lot and have now automated the process with the Getmail macro.

I love that macro, but can I get it to give me the statistics when it is done? I don't get those unless I manually load the GPX file.

Not a big deal, I almost hate to mention it, but I just noticed it again.

If I open the attachment from a PQ email and drop it into GSAK, I get the "Load GPX/LOC" window.

I hit enter.

GSAK processes the PQ and when done returns a few "statistics" about he PQ. It tells me how many caches were added (these would be new and usually draw my immediate interest) as well as the number of caches that were updated.

I love the popup window.

I have been reading and playing with GSAK a lot and have now automated the process with the Getmail macro.

I love that macro, but can I get it to give me the statistics when it is done? I don't get those unless I manually load the GPX file.

Not a big deal, I almost hate to mention it, but I just noticed it again.

The macro language has been designed to "automate GSAK".

One of default behaviours of this automation is to suppress all GUI type notification messages. This ensures that when you run a macro it "automates" and you are not constantly having your macro stopped by informational messages.

However, I will agree that the "statistics" box after a PQ load is a possible exception to this rule, or better yet perhaps have an option to view or not.

I think what we need here as the addition of the following token on both the GETMAIL and LOAD commands:

[<ShowStats=No|Yes>]

This would be an optional token with the default being no (this makes the command backwards compatible with existing behaviour)

I will definitely add this to the next full release (it might even squeeze into the next maintenance release) :rolleyes:

While in split screen mode, is there any way to export the details of the cache info to word or notepad with out copy paste?

Well, sort of. :rolleyes:

When you are in split screen mode, GSAK generates a file called SplitScreen.htm and then uses API calls to Internet Explorer to actually render the display.

So you could then just open this file in NotePad or Word. This files resides in the "temp" folder of the install folder of GSAK

Tools=>Options=>Advanced then tick the box "turn off version check"

If GSAK can't connect to the version server, it should time out after 60 seconds.

However, I have had a couple of reports that some software firewalls seem to "lock" GSAK and cause this behaviour.

Edit: or edit gsak.ini and change chkPhoneHome.Checked=False to chkPhoneHome.Checked=True

Thanks for the reply, Clyde, though I had independently worked out the answer. Now for something equally interesting: even after I turned off the phone home feature, GSAK periodically attempts to make a network connection! This has happened when I have dragged-n-dropped a zip'd GPX file onto my GSAK desktop icon. Any possibility that GSAK would not be reading its .ini file depending upon the way in which it was started, i.e. running normally vs. started in this matter?

Cordially,

jbgreer

p.s. your comments re: security programs seems to be accurate in my case, even though I have configured my security software to allow any/all network connections from GSAK.

Clyde,

My computer's hard disk drive has started to occasionally make some non-industry standard noises. :lol: I have automatic backup enabled in GSAK (Tools>Options>General) using the default "C:\Program Files\GSAK\Backup" folder as the destination for the files. My backup software automatically copies all changes made to files in that folder and in "C:\Program Files\GSAK\Data" to an external drive.

Are there any other GSAK files or folders that you would recommend backing up to more readily recover from a hard disk crash, or have I covered the critical bases? :lol: :lol:

Tools=>Options=>Advanced then tick the box "turn off version check"

If GSAK can't connect to the version server, it should time out after 60 seconds.

However, I have had a couple of reports that some software firewalls seem to "lock" GSAK and cause this behaviour.

Edit: or edit gsak.ini and change chkPhoneHome.Checked=False to chkPhoneHome.Checked=True

Thanks for the reply, Clyde, though I had independently worked out the answer. Now for something equally interesting: even after I turned off the phone home feature, GSAK periodically attempts to make a network connection! This has happened when I have dragged-n-dropped a zip'd GPX file onto my GSAK desktop icon. Any possibility that GSAK would not be reading its .ini file depending upon the way in which it was started, i.e. running normally vs. started in this matter?

Cordially,

jbgreer

p.s. your comments re: security programs seems to be accurate in my case, even though I have configured my security software to allow any/all network connections from GSAK.

GSAK displays the offline cache information in the split screen. However, because this offline data can contain online links (a picture in the cache description for example) GSAK will then try a HTTP connection to render the display.

So any time you have the split screen showing there is the possibility that GSAK will try to connect to the Internet.

Clyde,

My computer's hard disk drive has started to occasionally make some  non-industry standard noises.  :lol:  I have automatic backup enabled in GSAK (Tools>Options>General) using the default "C:\Program Files\GSAK\Backup" folder as the destination for the files.  My backup software automatically copies all changes made to files in that folder and in "C:\Program Files\GSAK\Data" to an external drive. 

Are there any other GSAK files or folders that you would recommend backing up to more readily recover from a hard disk crash, or have I covered the critical bases?  :lol: :lol:

You are doing all the right things :P

The automatic backup feature in GSAK keeps a rolling backup of the last 5 most recent GSAK backups. The GSAK automatic backup just creates industry standard zip files and are named GSAKAuto1.zip through to GSAKAuto5.zip

These backup files contain every database, saved filter, saved view, GPSr Icons, config settings, dialog sticky setting, user images, and macros (providing they are saved in the Macro folder)

What is not saved, is the program, help file, associated run files and dlls. However, these are static and put on your computer by the install program.

So if you were unlucky enough to have a hard disk crash the procedure would be:

1. Install a new hard disk

2. Install your operating system (or system backup)

3. Download GSAK from http://gsak.net and install

4. Start GSAK, then immediately take the "File=>Restore" option using your most recent GSAK backup file which us usually GSAKAUTO1.ZIP

The one item that is not saved in the backups is your GSAK registration details (I don't want backups being sent to other users and automatically registering them!) If you are a registered GSAK user you will need to register this copy again by entering your serial number via "Help=>Register". Of course you will just retrieve your serial number from that special place in your desk draw you put all serial numbers just in case you have a hard disk crash :P . However, if you are one of the 90% of people who do not participate in this recommended practice :P , lost serial numbers for GSAK can automatically be retrieved from my sever through this link http://gsak.net/lost.php

Humpty dumpty should then be completely back together, and you should not have lost a single item in GSAK :P

Edited by ClydeE
The one item that is not saved in the backups is your GSAK registration details (I don't want backups being sent to other users and automatically registering them!) If you are a registered GSAK user you will need to register this copy again by entering your serial number via "Help=>Register". Of course you will just retrieve your serial number from that special place in your desk draw you put all serial numbers just in case you have a hard disk crash  :lol: .  However, if you are one of the 90% of people who do not participate in this recommended practice  :lol: , lost serial numbers for GSAK can automatically be retrieved from my sever through this link http://gsak.net/lost.php

Thanks Clyde. When your hard drive starts making funny noises, you become one of the 10% who have written down their registration number in the desktop rolodex and are backing up their email files with the original GSAK registration email in one of the saved mail folders (along with the registration emails for all of the other downloaded software that might disappear in a sudden, gut wrenching, grinding-crunching sound)! But it's nice to know it's available online if the belt and suspenders both fail! :lol:

Speacial Tags

%lat and %lon are in Decimal Degrees. Is there anyway to have the coordinates display in Decimal Minutes instead.

I have a macro:

#select all, open notepad.

CLIP TAGS="%code %name by %by %lat %lon %typ %dif / %ter Hint: %hint "

RUNPGM pgm="C:\Documents and Settings\Ben\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\notepad"Wait=No

It copies the info fine but in the cache description the coords are in minutes, not degrees. When I past the info in notepad, it displays the coords in degree format instead of minute format.

Speacial Tags

%lat and %lon are in Decimal Degrees. Is there anyway to have the coordinates display in Decimal Minutes instead.

Currently, no.

In a future release I will look at providing the ability to show/use the coordinates in the same format options you have via Tools=>Options=>Display

I have set 2 databases to my Gsak ....a not found & a found database....when I find a cache how to I transfer the found cache from the not found database to the found database .....every time I do this all I can seem to do is transfer all the waypoints from the not found to the found...

thanks in advance

I have set 2 databases to my Gsak ....a not found & a found database....when I find a cache how to I transfer the found cache from the not found database to the found database .....every time I do this all I can seem to do is transfer all the waypoints from the not found to the found...

thanks in advance

Filters are your friend :laughing:

The move/copy waypoints acts on your current subset of waypoints, so all you need to do is set a filter on the required waypoint(s) then take the move option.

To select just one waypoint or a group of waypoints to include in a filter please see item 8 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

If this is something you do on a regular basis then you could do this via a 3 line macro, then add the macro as a tool button then the whole process is only one mouse click away.

Here's a macro I made for Google Earth Export.

The GPSBabel documents say it's support for KML (google earth files) is "sketchy".

{snip}

http://searedice.rchomepage.com/geocaching...googleearth.txt

{snip}

-John

Inspired by your work with files in the example you gave, and by looking at the documentation for GSAK and seeing this function

Extract(sInputString, sDelimiter, nFieldNumber) : string

I noticed that it could make a string act as an array with "," as delimiters.

That gave me an idea to recode a script I had made to use a loop instead of repeated chunks of code for basically the same job on different databases.

It uses the GETMAIL function to download email (but not loading it into a database), if there was anything downloaded it loads it into a database, generates a CSV-fil (by using GPSbabel) from the database, puts 2 lines of code into a script-file for a FTP-program to upload the new CSV-file and appends a code to a command-line for Internet Explorer.

If there was anything downloaded and generated it first calls the FTP-program with the script and then calls Internet Explorer withe the command-line.

The file called on my homepage is a PHP-script that based on the arguments pased through imoprts the newly uploaded CSV-files to several MySQL databases. This script also uses looping to re-use code and was what gave me the idea to re-do the macro when I saw the extract-function.

All this coding is done so I just click a button in GSAK and get the databases updated on my homepage. I did this repeated updating by hand in the beginning but with more databases it became to time-consuming and boring and prone to errors.

The databases is used in when generating KML-files for Google Earth on the fly based on the area you are watching with the help of the Network Link function in Google Earth.

The result can be viewed with the KML-files found here.

There's links for the Nordic and Baltic countries and several European cities.

ProsperoDK/René Boe

Will GSAK export CSV files to Garmin POI Loader?

GSAK version 6 introduced the "File=>Export=>CSV or TXT"

Using this option you can generate a CSV file of any of the columns on the screen and in any order.

I do not know what the CSV format for the Garmin POI loader is but I would think this should do it.

If there is something this export can't quite do then you can have more control over CSV files using the macro language and the new TextOut function.

Edited by ClydeE

Using the latest version of GSAK, and very impressed with the speed boost

I am now paperless :lol:

An observation

If I use GSAK to export a large number (c3500 waypoints) of html files and then load them into Plucker, Plucker freezes after a while (roughly a third of the way through 25000 links)

However, if I use GPS Spinner all is well

It only seems to happen on very large files (this file is a 100mile radius complete waypoint download, and as I live in Swindon that amounts to half the UK database!)

I realise that this is insufficient to track down a bug [if indeed one exists!], but I wonder if you have seen this occur?

Using the latest version of GSAK, and very impressed with the speed boost

I am now paperless :lol:

An observation

If I use GSAK to export a large number (c3500 waypoints) of html files and then load them into Plucker, Plucker freezes after a while (roughly a third of the way through 25000 links)

However, if I use GPS Spinner all is well

It only seems to happen on very large files (this file is a 100mile radius complete waypoint download, and as I live in Swindon that amounts to half the UK database!)

I realise that this is insufficient to track down a bug [if indeed one exists!], but I wonder if you have seen this occur?

It sounds like it's a problem with Plucker and not GSAK. Have you tried notify Plucker support?

That is what is surprising as GPS spinner-created files go through without a problem - html is html isn't it :lol: ?

No, not by a long shot.

Unless the files are exactly the same you can't make that comparison.

The HTML markup language has many "quirks". Just take a look how different browsers often display the exact same code in a different way - much to the chagrin of many a web developer.

I would say that plucker is coming unstuck on some "limit" but not being familiar with plucker I have no idea.

I do know that many users have run into "quirks" with plucker and have opted to use Sunrise Desktop instead - I am told it runs much quicker and is more reliable.

Try running the same conversion through Sunrise Destop and see if you get better results.