Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

If it's not too much of a PITA-

Can someone give me a tutorial on how to use CM2GPX to import logs into GSAK? I can't figure out how to a) run cm2gpx on the command line (never works) and :D get the logs on the computer. Do I need to save logs in Memo Pad?

Also, in v6 (not installed the maintenance update yet), I'd type out a log in the notes section of a cache, then hit "Log Cache" and the geocaching.com site would come up telling me I needed to specify a cache. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

BlueNinja

Hi

When I do something in GSAK that requires a browser window (e.g. the Show Online option) is always uses an already open browser window.  Is there any way to set it so a new window is opened?

Many thanks

Lisa

I don't think you can control this within GSAK (at least I couldn't find a way). If you use Internet Explorer as your web browswer, from within Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced.

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way through "Browsing" and uncheck "Resuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts". This will cause a new window to be opened whenever you click on a shortcut (in GSAK and everything else - you may or may not like that behavior for general web browsing because it opens a lot of windows!).

Clyde - is there any way to toggle this behavior in GSAK? It would be nice to be able to tell GSAK to open links in a new window without having to change global IE settings.

Edit: See the workaround I figured out, posted here.

Edited by Kai Team
If it's not too much of a PITA-

Can someone give me a tutorial on how to use CM2GPX to import logs into GSAK? I can't figure out how to a) run cm2gpx on the command line (never works) and :P get the logs on the computer. Do I need to save logs in Memo Pad?

I don't do this myself (haven't spent the time to make it work), but I know that the logs are taken from the Cachemate backup files that are created each time you hotsync your PDA. After making notes in Cachemate, you just have to hotsync your PDA to transfer those notes to the Cachemate backup files on your PC (i.e. there's no need to separately save logs or transfer them to another application).

There's a ready made macro for importing Cachcemate logs on Clyde's site: Click Here to view it. It might be easier to adopt that than to reinvent the wheel! :D

Also, in v6 (not installed the maintenance update yet), I'd type out a log in the notes section of a cache, then hit "Log Cache" and the geocaching.com site would come up telling me I needed to specify a cache. What am I doing wrong?

Hmm - the log cache function is working fine for me (v6.0.1). The log cache URL passes the %gcid to the geocaching.com website - I can't think of how that might get changed or lost (even editing the waypoint code in GSAK doesn't change the gcid).

Oh, another question. I'm writing a macro which performs a filter, then I want the macro to pause so I can check what is in the filter before I progress with the macro. If I use the PAUSE command after the FILTER command, the results of the filter are not shown on screen even though the macro has done the filter. Is there any way to view the results of the filter when the macro is paused?

Thanks again

Lisa

Hi

When I do something in GSAK that requires a browser window (e.g. the Show Online option) is always uses an already open browser window.  Is there any way to set it so a new window is opened?

Many thanks

Lisa

I don't think you can control this within GSAK (at least I couldn't find a way). If you use Internet Explorer as your web browswer, from within Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced.

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way through "Browsing" and uncheck "Resuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts". This will cause a new window to be opened whenever you click on a shortcut (in GSAK and everything else - you may or may not like that behavior for general web browsing because it opens a lot of windows!).

Clyde - is there any way to toggle this behavior in GSAK? It would be nice to be able to tell GSAK to open links in a new window without having to change global IE settings.

I use Firefox and I've found the equivalent option there. Thanks - I hadn't thought to change the browser settings!

As you say, it would be nice to have the option in GSAK as well. :D

Lisa

I'm using the CacheMateLog macro now. I have a BUNCH of backup files in my hotsync folder;which one do I want? When I try to specify the database I want (NE Kansas, which is the one I have in Cachemate), it says that database doesn't exist.

Oh, and is it possible to set the "Open in browser (online or offline)" command to open the page in a new tab in Firefox? The command for a new tab is Ctrl+t.

Edited by BlueNinja

Clyde,

As you know, I've been working on a file to auto-update caches in the UK with Country and County. So far I have managed to update the User Data field with county, and the country field with UK country. However, as most people want County in the State field, I've been attempting to use the State field instead.

The upshot of this is that I've found that I cannot update the State field if the co-ords are locked. For example I've solved a puzzle and changed the co-ords, the State field is also locked.

It's better explained by a screen dump, which is here. I've just downloaded the latest version, and I get the same error.

Tigger

Oh, another question.  I'm writing a macro which performs a filter, then I want the macro to pause so I can check what is in the filter before I progress with the macro.  If I use the PAUSE command after the FILTER command, the results of the filter are not shown on screen even though the macro has done the filter.  Is there any way to view the results of the filter when the macro is paused?

Thanks again

Lisa

You have to insert "SPEEDMODE Status=Off" (without the quotes) in the macro before you run the filter. The latest version of GSAK gains much of it's improved speed when using large databases by not updating the screen after each command. Turning speed mode off tells GSAK to update the screen.

Insert "SPEEDMODE Status=On" (again, without the quotes) after your pause command to get the faster, stronger, better GSAK mode running again!

Edit: for more information, go to GSAK Help>Contents>Using GSAK>Automating GSAK, scroll down and click on "SPEEDMODE" under the "command summary".

Edited by Kai Team
Oh, another question.  I'm writing a macro which performs a filter, then I want the macro to pause so I can check what is in the filter before I progress with the macro.  If I use the PAUSE command after the FILTER command, the results of the filter are not shown on screen even though the macro has done the filter.  Is there any way to view the results of the filter when the macro is paused?

Thanks again

Lisa

You have to insert "SPEEDMODE Status=Off" (without the quotes) in the macro before you run the filter. The latest version of GSAK gains much of it's improved speed when using large databases by not updating the screen after each command. Turning speed mode off tells GSAK to update the screen.

Insert "SPEEDMODE Status=On" (again, without the quotes) after your pause command to get the faster, stronger, better GSAK mode running again!

Edit: for more information, go to GSAK Help>Contents>Using GSAK>Automating GSAK, scroll down and click on "SPEEDMODE" under the "command summary".

Many thanks - I'll give that a try!

Lisa

After thinking about how to tell GSAK to "open a new browser window" when clicking on a URL, I just tried an old Windows (or is it Internet Explorer?) trick in GSAK and it worked!

To open a URL in a new window, hold down the SHIFT key while you click. This worked both when double-clciking a waypoint (with the double click action set to "Show Online Browser View") and when clicking on a Custom URL (from either the main "waypoint" menu or the right click menu).

So, for those of you who don't like to have EVERY link opened in a new window (like me), SHIFT-clicking is alternative to changing your global browser settings (this works from within Internet Explorer too, by the way, shift-clicking a link opens a new window).

Don't know if it works in Firefox (or if there's an equivalent action to holding the SHIFT key down), but give it a try!

I think my only remaining complaint, and truly I might have missed the solution, is editing the HTML page output. Let me configure my HTML pages the way I want and I could drop GPXspinner altogether.

Yep, this one is on "the list".

It won't be tomorrow but it will come :D

Hi

Many thanks

Lisa

Unfortunately no - not that I am aware of anyway.

The main problem being that this issue is browser dependant. GSAK just calls a URL, and your computer uses the associated browser to process that request.

To my knowledge there is no switch/syntax you can add to a URL to force the browser to open the URL in a new window.

Your solution posted above is my stock standard answer for IE, but obviously the steps would be different for other browsers.

If there is an HTML guru out there that knows a trick that can do this, please let me know.

You can only log caches at gc.com if you are logged in under your account.

So you before you try to use this feature or any macro that does semi automatic logging, make sure have have logged in to gc.com using your name and password.

I have just found a bug in GSAK 6.01!

When i starting a Macro with the Command

FILTER <Name="Top50 Bayern Süd"> Reverse=no

then stops the Macro because with the error message "Filter not Found" But the Filter ist Saved, and Manually is it ok!

After re installing GSAK 5.6 the Macro is running again.

As you know, I've been working on a file to auto-update caches in the UK with Country and County. So far I have managed to update the User Data field with county, and the country field with UK country. However, as most people want County in the State field, I've been attempting to use the State field instead.

The upshot of this is that I've found that I cannot update the State field if the co-ords are locked. For example I've solved a puzzle and changed the co-ords, the State field is also locked.

Unfortunately there is no way around this.

The corrected coordinates feature allows for the possibility that your corrected coordinates are in another state (very common for caches near state borders)

So when you add corrected coordinates GSAK also saves the state. Just like the coordinates themselves, we don't want the state overridden by the next GPX load so the state field is also protected.

Until I add another user field, one work around is to write a macro to add this information to the user notes (or you could also structure your GPX file so it goes directly into user notes - just as user notes generated by Watcher are automatically loaded into the user notes section). I recall one of your reasons against this is that you were of the opinion you can't filter by user note. Although slower than a filter on "user data" you can still filter on just the user notes (RegEx also supported) by doing a full text search, and checking only the user notes box

I have just found a bug in GSAK 6.01!

When i starting a Macro with the Command

FILTER <Name="Top50 Bayern Süd"> Reverse=no

then stops the Macro because with the error message "Filter not Found" But the Filter ist Saved, and Manually is it ok!

After re installing GSAK 5.6 the Macro is running again.

This is not a bug. GSAK more strict on macro syntax in version 6.0 so some errors in macro syntax you could get away with in previous versions you now can't.

So the problem is that the syntax for your filter command is incorrect. Please see this post for more information

I don't know if this will do it in GSAK, but this is how you make a link in HTML open in a new page:

<a href="http://searedice.rchomepage.com" target="_blank">hlkjsd</a>

See the target="_blank" after the href="..." in the <a> tag?

Thanks.

However, this is a tag inside a .htm file. When GSAK opens a page online it opens a URL link.

For example if you add a link in this forum - http://gsak.net - what syntax can you use to make this link always open in a new browser window.

Similar thing if you sent a URL link in an email - how to force the URL open in a new window when you click on the link from the email

Edited by ClydeE
I don't know if this will do it in GSAK, but this is how you make a link in HTML open in a new page:

<a href="http://searedice.rchomepage.com" target="_blank">hlkjsd</a>

See the target="_blank" after the href="..." in the <a> tag?

Thanks.

However, this is a tag inside a .htm file. When GSAK opens a page online it opens a URL link.

For example if you add a link in this forum - http://gsak.net - what syntax can you use to make this link always open in a new browser window.

Similar thing if you sent a URL link in an email - how to force the URL open in a new window when you click on the link from the email

Yup, I tried playing around with appending the target="_blank" tag to the URL earlier and couldn't get it to work. Maybe my syntax was wrong, but I finally concluded that it works in an <a href> expression but not in a free-standing URL (as Clyde notes above). Would be happy to be proven wrong! :D

Edited by Kai Team
Hi

Many thanks

Lisa

Interesting -

Mine does just the opposite - and I WANT to use an already open window -

I'll bet that must be a browser thing - I use MS IE in XP Home.

Been trying to figure out how to stop E-mail links from opening new windows also.

maybe Clyde has an answer for both of us -

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
Hi

Many thanks

Lisa

Edit: See the workaround I figured out, posted here.

KAI!

FANTASTIC !

Been a long time since I have been in there -

Worked both for GSAK and for my e-mail links -

Thanks -

cc\

You can only log caches at gc.com if you are logged in under your account.

So you before you try to use this feature or any macro that does semi automatic logging, make sure have have logged in to gc.com using your name and password.

I'm always cookied on geocaching.com. Maybe it was opening in Netscape and I wasn't paying attention, will look tomorrow when I can get on the other computer.

After thinking about how to tell GSAK to "open a new browser window" when clicking on a URL, I just tried an old Windows (or is it Internet Explorer?) trick in GSAK and it worked!

To open a URL in a new window, hold down the SHIFT key while you click.  This worked both when double-clciking a waypoint (with the double click action set to "Show Online Browser View") and when clicking on a Custom URL (from either the main "waypoint" menu or the right click menu).

So, for those of you who don't like to have EVERY link opened in a new window (like me), SHIFT-clicking is alternative to changing your global browser settings (this works from within Internet Explorer too, by the way, shift-clicking a link opens a new window). 

Don't know if it works in Firefox (or if there's an equivalent action to holding the SHIFT key down), but give it a try!

I use the Opera browser and hold down the Shift key when I double-click the cache in GSAK. It opens that cache page up in a new tab. Then I click the page for the online URL. Sometimes I have more than 30 tabs (pages) open at a time.

Logging my caches by having all the Found cache pages open at one time is very convenient.

To open a URL in a new window, hold down the SHIFT key while you click.  This worked both when double-clciking a waypoint (with the double click action set to "Show Online Browser View") and when clicking on a Custom URL (from either the main "waypoint" menu or the right click menu).

I use the Opera browser and hold down the Shift key when I double-click the cache in GSAK. It opens that cache page up in a new tab. Then I click the page for the online URL. Sometimes I have more than 30 tabs (pages) open at a time.

Logging my caches by having all the Found cache pages open at one time is very convenient.

Single hand method:

Instead of SHIFT&left-click just right-click the link, then select from the list either Open Link in New Window or Open Link in New Tab whichever you prefer.

Clyde,

Sorry to keep pestering you, but I've noticed a quirk when I load in my county/country file.

My file only containe the <wpt>, <name>, <Groundspeak:state> and <Groundspeak:country> fields, so I would have thought this would be the only fields updated.

However, it is changing all the <Groundspeak:short_description html="True"> to <Groundspeak:short_description html="False">, and the same for long description.

My guess is that because it isn't in the file, it's assuming the value is zero, therefore false.

Is there any way I can stop this happening?

Tigger

Sorry to keep pestering you, but I've noticed a quirk when I load in my county/country file.

My file only containe the <wpt>, <name>, <Groundspeak:state> and <Groundspeak:country> fields, so I would have thought this would be the only fields updated.

However, it is changing all the <Groundspeak:short_description html="True"> to <Groundspeak:short_description html="False">, and the same for long description.

My guess is that because it isn't in the file, it's assuming the value is zero, therefore false.

Yes, you are correct - GSAK is setting these values to false before update.

However, I take your point. It should really only be setting this to false when the GPX/LOC file does not contain this information and we are adding a waypoint (GSAK has been doing this since day one and this is the first time this issue has popped up :P )

If the waypoint arlready exists in the database, then the status of these should only be set if the GPX file contains that information. If that information is not found in the GPX file then current values in the database should be preserved.

I will correct this in the next maintenace release.

As I know you are anxious to get this right for your counties file, I will send you a pre release as soon as I have done this.

Clyde:

I am looking for a way to remove the quotation marks from cache names when I export to Cachemate. I end up with about 60 files out of alphabetical sequence when sorted by cache name because they have Quote Marks as the leading character in the filename. I can get rid of most of them exporting to a GPX file then converting through "cmConvert" before going to Cachemate (there is an option in cmconvert).

I have searched for quotes, quotations and quote and quotation no luck. Is this possible inside GSAK or am I just missing the option somewhere doing the export?

Cheers

Muddler

I am looking for a way to remove the quotation marks from cache names when I export to Cachemate. I end up with about 60 files out of alphabetical sequence when sorted by cache name because they have Quote Marks as the leading character in the filename.  I can get rid of most of them exporting to a GPX file then converting through "cmConvert" before going to Cachemate (there is an option in cmconvert). 

I have searched for quotes, quotations and quote and quotation no luck. Is this possible inside GSAK or am I just missing the option somewhere doing the export?

This option was supposed to make it into the initial release of V6.

Unfortunately it slipped throught the cracks, but I made amends by including this CacheMate export option to strip problem characters (any characeters - not just double quotes) in the maintenance release 6.0.1 just released.

So just make sure you have the latest version of GSAK from http://gsak.net and you should be good to go.

Edited by ClydeE
Ok, I got the logging to work-manually entering the logs, that is-but how do I do it with cachemate? How can I find my backup file? There are so many files in my computer backup folder, I can't find the cachemate backup. The only cachemate thing is the .prc file.

The CacheMate Database on my Palm is called 'Motley Crew'. (You can check what yours is called by checking the 'Options' menu in CacheMate.)

Now on my PC my Palm backup folder is here: C:\Program Files\Palm\Keith\Backup

When I look in this folder I see a lot of files and one in particular is called Motley_CrewItems-cMat.PDB and this is the one I use with the CM2GPX utility.

I imagine that your backup CacheMate database file will be called something along the lines of WhatEverYourDataBaseIsCalledItems-cMat.PDB

This is the GSAK macro code that I use to implement the CM2GPX utility:

#Debug STATUS=ON
RUNPGM Pgm="D:\Program Files\GSAK\macros\CacheMate2gpx.bat" wait=YES
Database Name="ABCDE" action=Select
USERFLAG type=clear range=all
#PAUSE MSG="USER FLAG CLEAR?"
CACHEMATE Settings="CacheMate Found"

This is the CacheMate2gpx.bat file that is called by the above macro:

copy "D:\Program Files\Palm\Keith\Backup\Motley_CrewItems-cMat.pdb" "D:\cm2gpx-1.0.2\ToBeLogged.pdb"
CD D:\cm2gpx-1.0.2\
cm2gpx -C ToBeLogged -e -o "D:\GPX Files\cm2gpx\cmfound.gpx" ToBeLogged.pdb

Note 1. The Path/Folder names will likely be different on your system

Note 2. The references to 'ToBeLogged' above refer to a CacheMate 'category' that all my finds are automatically moved to when I mark them as found.

HTH

Ok, I got the logging to work-manually entering the logs, that is-but how do I do it with cachemate? How can I find my backup file? There are so many files in my computer backup folder, I can't find the cachemate backup. The only cachemate thing is the .prc file.

The files are in C:\Palm\<Your Username>\Backup. They are Plam Database (PDB) files with the name of your cachemate database and "-cmat" in them (DefaultItems-cmat.pdb if you're using the default database).

See this post for more information.

Edit: Motely Crew beat me to it as I was searching for the previous post. :P

Edited by Kai Team

You may have to go to the smitty website and download the CM2GPX program. Whichever folder you place this in, you may have to add that path to the macro or batch file.

Edit: Darn, beat by an old man! :) (I'm not exactly young myself - just a grand-uncle here.)

Edited by The Jester
I tried the batch file, it says cm2gpx isn't a command. I modified everything to match the directories on my computer.

I'll try and explain what the batch file is doing.

copy "D:\Program Files\Palm\Keith\Backup\Motley_CrewItems-cMat.pdb" "D:\cm2gpx-1.0.2\ToBeLogged.pdb"

The above line is copying the Palm backup file Motley_CrewItems-cMat.pdb to the directory/folder D:\cm2gpx-1.0.2\ and during the copying process it renames the copied file as ToBeLogged.pdb. I do this purely as a precaution - work with a copy of the original data!

CD D:\cm2gpx-1.0.2\

The above line changes to the D:\cm2gpx-1.0.2\ directory/folder.

cm2gpx -C ToBeLogged -e -o "D:\GPX Files\cm2gpx\cmfound.gpx" ToBeLogged.pdb

The above line is where the magic happens and I'll try and explain what occurs ....

cm2gpx - this invokes the cm2gpx program which is, on my system, located in the D:\cm2gpx-1.0.2\ folder.

-C ToBeLogged - convert the records that match the provided category list - in this case ToBeLogged (As mentioned in my earlier email I have a CacheMate category called 'ToBeLogged' that my 'founds' are automatically moved to when I log them as found in the field).

-e - allows for exact but case-insensitive 'category' matching.

-o "D:\GPX Files\cm2gpx\cmfound.gpx" - this line specifies the output files name and path.

ToBeLogged.pdb - this is the name of the input file i.e. the file containing my 'found' caches that was copied earlier.

After running the above batch file there will be a file called cmfound.gpx in the 'D:\GPX Files\cm2gpx\' folder. This will have the details of all the caches that were found to be in the 'ToBeLogged' category of the 'Motley Crew' databade on the Palm. The cmfound.gpx file can then be loaded into GSAK using the File\Load CacheMate Logs & Finds option.

This whole procedure can be accomplished automatically using GSAK macros. :)

Edited by Motley Crew

So I don't even need the batch file to do that? Joy.

EDIT-

Ok, I have gotten the macro to start (Clyde, line 36 is missing a quotation mark at the end), but it won't accept the database name. The name of the backup database is NE_KansasItems-cMat.PDB, but it says it doesn't exist.

Edited by BlueNinja
EDIT-

Ok, I have gotten the macro to start (Clyde, line 36 is missing a quotation mark at the end), but it won't accept the database name. The name of the backup database is NE_KansasItems-cMat.PDB, but it says it doesn't exist.

Not sure quite how you expect Clyde to 'know 'what your line 36 comprises of :)

Can you post your complete macro here and maybe we can help you further? Details of where you have 'cm2gpx.exe' and 'NE_KansasItems-cMat.PDB' are may also be helpful.

Using smart tags to customize the waypoint name and description, I would like to load as much of the decrypted hint as will fit in the note section in my Garmin Etrex Vista C. When I put %hint into the Waypoint description format box before transferring a waypoint to my gps it returns nothing - the note is blank on my GPS. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Edited by Shaker-slc

I just upgraded to 6.0.1 (Build=15).

This little macro used to work now it doesn't.

##### RUN GPX to MAPLET ####

RUNPGM <pgm="D:\Mapopolis\GPXToMaplet.exe"

It gives me this error:

Error in Macro at line 2

Error=> Missing token PGM

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jim

Line 36 in the CacheMateLog macro, sorry.

Man, I feel like an idiot today.

I will have a look at this, but please note that the macros on the GSAK web site are mostly submitted by GSAK users - and CacehMateLog.txt was one of them.

I personally don't use CacheMate (I have a Pocket PC) so I havn't actually run this macro.

However, I know others that have without any problems so I am surprised this would be the case.

Edited by ClydeE
Using smart tags to customize the waypoint name and description, I would like to load as much of the decrypted hint as will fit in the note section in my Garmin Etrex Vista C. When I put %hint into the Waypoint description format box before transferring a waypoint to my gps it returns nothing - the note is blank on my GPS. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Hmm, that should work. (unless perhaps you have something else before the %hint tag - most GPSr will only take 30 charactes in this area)

Anyone else have any problem with this?

I just upgraded to 6.0.1 (Build=15).

This little macro used to work now it doesn't.

##### RUN GPX to MAPLET ####

It gives me this error:

Error in Macro at line 2

Error=> Missing token PGM

Any ideas?

Please see my post further up the page Here