I Give Up, I Quit!

golfdiva

Right? There isn't really any caches out there! :D

Ok, I found the first one by accident, that's how I got started, so I really do believe in caches, but I'm about to give up too!

I tried a couple near my home yesterday. I realized I needed to search around as the coordinates aren't totally accurate. It was in a field where there wasn't many places to hide. I search for an hour...no luck.

I tried another one nearby, searched for an hour... no luck.

The next day I brought hubby along to the second one, still no luck.

We both tried a nearby third one, but there was no way we were going to crawl through those brambles! ( We tried approaching from a couple of different directions.)

We went home frustrated and dissillusioned. Guess we just aren't cut out for this hobby. (anyone want to buy a slightly used gps?) :D

Right? There isn't really any caches out there! :D

Ok, I found the first one by accident, that's how I got started, so I really do believe in caches, but I'm about to give up too!

I tried a couple near my home yesterday. I realized I needed to search around as the coordinates aren't totally accurate. It was in a field where there wasn't many places to hide. I search for an hour...no luck.

I tried another one nearby, searched for an hour... no luck.

The next day I brought hubby along to the second one, still no luck.

We both tried a nearby third one, but there was no way we were going to crawl through those brambles! ( We tried approaching from a couple of different directions.)

We went home frustrated and dissillusioned. Guess we just aren't cut out for this hobby. (anyone want to buy a slightly used gps?) :D

My first couple caches I went to hell and back trying to find without luck. Sometimes you need a local veteran to take you under their wing and show you the "basics of finding a cache once you get to the destination".

Hey, I'm new to this game too. Found my first cache on the first attempt and felt pretty proud of myself until I failed to locate the next three. Read the logs on caches you couldn't locate for more hints and go back. Often, the perspective changes and voila! there it is. Also (and I'm hardly experienced at this point) the more you do it, the better you get at spotting likely hides. Trust the hints, most of them are clever and quite useful but seem a bit opaque at first.

Cheers,

I'm still very new at this, and I can tell you that as a beginner the hardest thing is often figuring out what exactly it is you're looking for. The containers can be very tricky! I suggest picking out those with the lowest difficulty rating at first, and preferably those that are regular and large sized caches to get a feel for navigating to the cache and searching. Look for UPS -- Unusual Pile of Sticks/Stones and carefully examine the bases of trees and in bushes. You may just have to go into the brambles.

As others have mentioned, make sure you have the correct datum and other settings on your GPSr. If you don't have the latest version of software on it (you can check on the manufacturer's website) then downloading the most current to your receiver may also improve accuracy.

I love the idea of asking for someone to show you the ropes. When I started I think I would have been mortified at the thought of asking someone to help like this, but now that I've had some interaction with the community I can tell you there would definitely be some wonderful people who wouldn't blink an eye before offering their assistance. The cachers I've met through these boards and the locals with whom I've exchanged emails have all been wonderful and very helpful.

Good luck! (And don't forget to let us know how it goes!)

Oooh, Grand Rapids. I used to live in Hastings and shop in GR, and shopping for books for my Pastor's Library is greaat in GR. So since I've been to your place alreaady, you come on down and cache in Crawford County and I'll guarantee you some finds!! (there was no such thing as geocaching in those days, so I didn't up there)

My first find was a large ammo can next to a log. I had to accidentally step on it to find it. Now I actually see spider webs across the trail before I accidentally eat the ugly arachnids. A little experience helps.

It’s always fun going out with a new cacher and watching them circle endlessly [or as long as they want to look before giving them a clue] looking for something you’ve seen a hundred feet off.

On the flip side, I’ve got one albatross that I’ve hunted seven times (and counting), took a newbie there and the newb’ found it in 20 minutes and then sat back and had a good chuckle as I continued to stumble around. (I didn’t want any hints so I still haven’t found that one :laughing: – but I will :unsure: )

It gets easier……start with a few 1/1 type caches until you get used to it and find an experienced cacher to go with (try posting in the regional forum).

Good luck.

:blink: Spider webs! I dodged two of them just today. :laughing:

I also had to forgo a cache because as near as I could determine it was in the middle of a bunch of new growth poison oak.

I was barely able to keep Ghost Dog out of it.

The other day or days I went back to the coordinates listed three times before I found the cache literally within 3 or 4 feet of where it should have been.

Don't give up.

Are you using the goto function on your GPSr?

If not, start.

This was one of my initial mistakes. :unsure:

gave up after an hour?? oh man..I am new but must be stubborn. last week it took me two and a half hours to find a difficulty 2...but I wasn't leaving until I tracked it down. The week before I worked on a 3 and a half one for three and a half hours, and ended up going and picking my husband up from work and making him come with me to help. He narrowed it down within 45 mintues and we got it!! Hand in there and give it time to click.

I have found all of 38 since June 15 and I can garuntee that I have searched for a LOT more 45 so far... sometimes they are just a little better hid than I thought. I still try to stick to the easier finds and everynow dabble into the harder ones only to be shot down. one of these days they won't out smart me! :rolleyes:

I take my Palm with me and often use the hint, and many times review the Past Logs to get the tip that will send me in the right direction.

Yesterday I forgot my Palm when I left my house. :rolleyes:

That was an interesting experience. I had quite a few DNFs, but was pleasantly pleased to find some that were very small and deviously-hidden.

I don't recommend that method. Use whatever you can so you can find the cache. With the price of gas, I don't want to have to revisit an area again.

gave up after an hour?? oh man..I am new but must be stubborn. last week it took me two and a half hours to find a difficulty 2...but I wasn't leaving until I tracked it down. The week before I worked on a 3 and a half one for three and a half hours, and ended up going and picking my husband up from work and making him come with me to help. He narrowed it down within 45 mintues and we got it!! Hand in there and give it time to click.

Man! you got more persistance that I do!

I have been know to stick to one for 30-40 minutes.

I have been at it for over a year and some 220 caches found.

Got to hand it to you - you have some kind of record there I think.

cc\

Thanks for all the replies! (Lmao about the snipes!)

I have a brand new Garmin etrek Legend. The datum is correct

One of the caches I looked for twice was found the next day! (so it was there, it was just me!)

I will try finding someone to take me along and teach me some ropes. Maybe that will help.

(Team Cotati - I do bowling too! lol)

Thanks for all the replies! (Lmao about the snipes!)

I have a brand new Garmin etrek Legend. The datum is correct

One of the caches I looked for twice was found the next day! (so it was there, it was just me!)

I will try finding someone to take me along and teach me some ropes. Maybe that will help.

(Team Cotati - I do bowling too! lol)

What kind of ropes do you think that they will be teaching you? :P

We also have a Garmin Etrek Legend. It jumps around a lot when we get close to the coordinates. When we get down to around 20 feet we stop, look around. Usually we spot a hollow or fallen tree, pile of something. We're pretty new too. Our first few finds, we were crashing through the brush more than we needed to. We learned to stay on the trail and we usually find a better spot to get to the cache. Notice I said usually. We still find some that leave us wondering why the hider had to put the cache that far into the brush. I realize you have to hide them so nobody just stumbles onto them but nobody is going to stumble that far!

DONT GIVE UP....i consider myself new still...

try this...i had to do this fnally to see if the stupid thing was working....i went down the road ...turned....turned...turned...and pulled into a parking spot at the grocery store and wrote down the coordinates for it...then went back home....put in the waypoint and said GOTO and followed it back to te parking spot...it worked...

as everyone says do a level 1/1 to start with...and preferably one without trees or coverage..

i had found my first cache without a gps unit...so when i was getting frustrated i couldnt find anything i went back to that one but it had been washed away in the flooding and more frustration...

one i tried for was a 3..lots of trees....it took me about 5 tries to finally find it and lots of bloodshed....i was reading the gps wrong....i THOUGHT that .10 (point one zero) meant 10 FEET...but it wasnt that....so i learned what point one zero meant...and that the gps does go into feet eventually..hhehehehe

another one i tried for 3 times was in tree coverage and i got "lost" in the wooded area and went in circles and shed blood (you loose alot ot it doing this) and all logs after i was there said..easy find, quick grab, easy find etc so i gave it one last shot and i knew how to read the numbers now on the gps and i went right to it with no bloodshed and no getting lost....

so start easy and definitely use the hints...and pick ones with very little tree coverage....

i have been taken to some nice places i never knew existed around here..and without geocaching i would never have seen the areas...

happy hunting

wanda texas

one i tried for was a 3..lots of trees....it took me about 5 tries to finally find it and lots of bloodshed....i was reading the gps wrong....i THOUGHT that .10 (point one zero) meant 10 FEET...but it wasnt that....so i learned what point one zero meant...and that the gps does go into feet eventually..hhehehehe

Too funny!! :lol:

El Diablo

I'm closing in on 100 finds - probably hit that number in the next week. And I just asked a cacher for an extra hint this week. It's for a level 4 nano - probably about the size of a medicine capsule. When I can't find a cache, I just make a quick salute to the hider. Then I vow to get super devious with my next hide, HA HA HA!

As the others ssay, read the "Finding your first cache" hints on the main geocache.com page, try for a few level 1 hides first, and don't rush the GPS unit - let it settle down when you get within 50 feet or so. Look around while it does, and you'll soon be seeing them!

I did the thing with the .10 miles thinking it was 10 feet too!!

bwa ha ha..that was the one that took me 3 1/2 hours...I got frustrated and literally went and picked my husband up from work..told him the stupid gps was going nuts ..figured the signal was bouncing off the huge huge rocks in the area, cuz it would go from 10 to 540!!

he patiently explain that 10 was POINT ten miles, and then it would switch to 540 FEET....DUH!! he narrowed it down asap.

HEY..he'd better not get too cocky with me, or I wouldn't le him use my gps in hunting season!! lol

What ever you do don't give up. It is a great hobby. Here is the log from one of my first caches:

"I found this one about 13:30 this afternoon. New to caching and entered coordinates wrong. I stumbled around in the snow for while, becoming frustrated. I laid my jacket and day pack beside a rock. I stumbled around for another 30 minutes. I decided to go back to my “stuff” and look again at the coordinates. Moved my jacket and there it was!!! Oh well I'll get better. Took a picture towards the south of the snow."

The snow was deep too! The best piece of advice I've received is look for something that doesn't belong.

Good luck.

Jim

When i first started geocaching, i started on a multi,with the first being a micro and the second part a bucket in the woods. I searched for an hour on the first time and about the same for the second time,now realized that i needed to start with an larger (traditional cache) to see if i had the right coords and set up and then i started to get more hits and learned how people hid their caches. keep trying and ask fellows cachers for advice and i still ask advice all the time.