Home Coordinates Problem

NorthernKnight

I've corrected my home coordinates several times and for some reason they keep changing on their own. I live in upstate NY and my home coordinates are currently correct but they keep changing to either Quebec or Seattle on their own.

I look up caches "from my home coordinates" and sometimes I get a page of Seattle caches and sometimes I get the ones close to my home but the cache page says I'm 2300 miles away (I'm assuming this would be from Seattle?).

I just placed a new cache about a mile from my home and it's been archived because the website tells the reviewer I'm 275 miles away.

Has anyone else had this issue? What can I do to get it corrected?

Do you have an idea as to how long it takes between the time that you correct the coords and when they change? :D I think that it is fairly safe to say that these settings are not simply changing on their own. There is almost certainly some action occuring that explains it, you just need to narrow them down by a process of elimination. If you'd like, you can drop me an email thru my profile and I'd be glad to try and assist you in figuring this out. I am always fascinated by these "can't happen" scenarios when they really do happen. Frequently the resolution is astonishingly simple.

Edited by Team Cotati
It might have something to do with your computer and not the site. I've had problems with viruses that change my information on sites. Maybe you should considered getting McAfee Virus Protection. Since I got it, no problems at all.

Wow, that's really interesting. Which viruses did McAfee find on your system? :D

It might have something to do with your computer and not the site.  I've had problems with viruses that change my information on sites.  Maybe you should considered getting McAfee Virus Protection.  Since I got it, no problems at all.

Wow, that's really interesting. Which viruses did McAfee find on your system? :D

Mostly trojans, and one that made me reformat my computer all together.

No one has access to my computer and I use a virus program so it's not a virus issue either.

My home coordinates haven't changed since I corrected them yesterday but when I look at a cache that's only a couple miles away the cache page still tells me I'm 2,300 miles away, even though my home cordinates were just verified as being correct.

Well at least it is good to know that for whatever reason, the mysterious automatic changing of your home coords seems to be a thing of the past...........at least for now. :unsure: So now if you find and click on a gc.com waypoint that is oh say 10 miles from your home coords, what does it tell you?

Then depending upon that result, I'd change the home coords to some other location distant from your actual home location and see what that does. :laughing:

Edited by Team Cotati
when I look at a cache that's only a couple miles away the cache page still tells me I'm 2,300 miles away, even though my home coordinates were just verified as being correct.

That distance makes one suspect the problem has to do with the latitude value. 2300 miles is roughly how far you are from the equator. If the degrees part of your latitude were missing or ???.

But, you are the second person in a few days (unless you posted this problem earlier) to complain of home coordinates spontaneously changing.

My home coordinates are in the right format, and I got them by setting a waypoint in my front yard and then copying them off the GPS when I registered. I then verified them with a good mapping program. For some reason the web site's software seems to think I'm somewhere in Mahoning County. Nothing against Mahoning County, but Akron isn't in it!