Cleaning Out Missing Tbs From Cache Pages

Sparrowhawk

I did a search on the site, can't seem to find a post dealing with this... "markwell" references appreciated...

If what I am thinking existed, it would work this way:

Basic "Vote TB off the island" feature:

Cacher goes to cache to grab a bug. Bug is definitely missing. Cacher posts a "found it" or "post a note" on the cache page as usual.

Cacher goes to bug's page. Hits "report bug missing from cache" button. Reports missing bug. A line in red type is added to the top of the bug's page: "This TB is reported as missing from Cache x."

Bug remains listed on cache page, not yet taken off. However their name is listed in red so other folks know in advance about the possibly missing bug. This warning is also listed as an option in pocket queries to screen out possibly-missing bugs.

(I was thinking of a "bug is actually there, folks and I don't know what the first cacher was thinking" kind of button could be added on the TB's page too for a second cacher to hit, but I don't think it would be used very much.) :lol:

Anyhoo, that's the basics.

The coolest thing about this is to be able to screen out the missing bugs in pocket queries.

Now....the ENHANCED version of the same feature:

Same as above: However, the "Report bug missing from cache" button on the TB's page becomes a button "Confirm bug missing from cache." An added line explains: "Only a different, additional cacher than the one who made the initial report can use the 'confirm missing" button. This reduces the possiblity of abuse of this feature by any one person."

2nd cacher finds cache, also sees bug being missing from cache.

2nd cacher goes to bug's page, hits the "confirm missing" button. That's 2 votes off the island. That's it... bug is gone from the cache page.

To make sure that sock puppet accounts cannot confirm-kick a bug off a cache page, maybe just make it so that Premium Members have the power to hit the "Confirm..." button to vote the bug completely off the cache page. Anyone can warn/report, but only a Premium Member can come along and do the final "kick off the island".

That could work. :lol:

Basically: "any one person can only warn via the TB page 'Report' button and turn the TB's name to red type on the cache page. It also screens out the bug from Pocket Queries. The next person, a Premium member only, gets to kick the bug completely off the cache page via a 'confirm' button" on a TB's page. There ya go. :lol:

As they say on MST3K: "what do you think, sirs?"

I really like the idea of having some indication that the tb is no longer in the cache.

I do not like the x number of logs and its automatically gone part. There may be many reasons that the tb is not in the cache but not logged elsewhere. (new cacher logged it wrong, experienced cacher was in an accident and hasn't been caching or even online in a while, someone was called out of the country without warning etc etc etc). I can't tell you how many times I have written down the tb number wrong (dyslexia) and when I write the owner they tell me that they don't have the copy tag any longer and so we just have to wait for the next person who picks up the tb to log it in again. If the tb is in a cache that only gets visited every few months...we wait a long while.

Automatic actions have this nasty tendency to cause more problems than they solve.

But did I say that I really like the part about knowing that the tb isn't in the cache it's listed in any longer? I really do like that part. Maybe after the first person reports that it's not there the tb link can turn red. It wouldn't even need to filter out of pocket queries to make me happy.

Edited by Team Neos

Cache owners and TB owners already have the ability to remove a travel bug from a cache page. They are the people who ought to have that power.

Perhaps if more owners were attentive to maintaining their cache pages and bug pages, this annoying issue wouldn't be so prevalent.

My one criticism is that the "Mark Bug as Missing" option is hidden on a menu on the travel bug's page. If it was easier to spot, more people might use it.

Cache owners and TB owners already have the ability to remove a travel bug from a cache page.  They are the people who ought to have that power.

Perhaps if more owners were attentive to maintaining their cache pages and bug pages, this annoying issue wouldn't be so prevalent.

Right! But whatever you do, don't send the cache or bug owner an email letting them know, becuase that's none of your business. Or so I've read. :lol:

My one criticism is that the "Mark Bug as Missing" option is hidden on a menu on the travel bug's page.  If it was easier to spot, more people might use it.

I agree. I've never had to use it, but I wouldn't even have known about it if I hadn't read about it here in the forums.

On the topic of making all cachers as aware as possible of what the website is able to do... has anyone ever put together a tutorial of sorts? Maybe something like those Video Professor discs? Ooo! Even better, all new account applicants should have to view it before their account is activated! (...runs and ducks for cover)

Caches have a SBA log type. Why not a missing from cache log type for travel bugs? The log notification can be sent to both the travel bug owner and the cache owner. The log notification email can include instructions on how to mark a travel bug as missing.

Edited by Glenn
Cache owners and TB owners already have the ability to remove a travel bug from a cache page.  They are the people who ought to have that power.

Yeah... but they don't use it nearly enough. It would be cool to be able to turn a bug's listing red, at least, so cachers can know what's missing. Bug owners and cache owners are the only ones who get to keep the power to boot them completely in the Version 1 of my bright idea.

Add that as a data point in a Pocket Query and cachers get to skip them completely when looking for TBs... and THAT can be REALLY handy! :D

Edited by Sparrowhawk