Frs/pmr Channel

Intresting! :lol:

Does anyone use these?

Are these the little blue two-way radios they sell at all the electronic and sporting good stores with the stubbie antennaes?

(From the "Getting Started" section:)

Do you have an FRS/PMR channel to find out if other Geocachers are in the area?

Yes. The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary for both FRS and PMR, and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel and 8 for the alternate PMR (Europe). FRS and PMR radios are longer distance walkie talkies, like the Motorola Talkabout.

I have a set made by motorola, they are very limited in their range, in most cases you are not going to get anything close to the range that is advertised. These radios require line of sight to work really well. In heavily wooded areas you might get 500 meters in range, About the only place they will really work well is over water.

I have never heared any goecachers on mine. My girlfriend and I are Ham radio operators so we use those most of the time. These have a lot more power and also give accsess to repeaters which will extend our commuications range well beyond line of site.

Our family uses FRS/GMRS radios on the high output setting and do very well. You must have a license from the FCC to use the GMRS channels (we are licensed). The license is good for your entire family. The FRS only units are limited in power. I carry the radio with me set to channel 2, but haven't heard any other cachers yet.

Ernie