Background Information

smartee

I have been leaving jumping buffalo chips in the caches I find.

They have an interesting history attached to them and I would like to refer hikers to my web site as a way of giving background information so that finders will know in advance what they are about. How is it best to do this? :lol:

I got curious and clicked on the home page in the link above it took a little looking to find that particular page again from the home page, from the story where I found it at I wish that the fellow would have added links to a web page or something instead of a link to download a .mov file. :blink:

From the link above on my system the video does not work I googled (jumping buffalo chip) and the only thing I could come up with is the same page as above. So I still have no idea what a (jumping buffalo chip) is. <_<<_<:huh:

Interesting Web site though. :huh:

Well after looking at the profile of the OP I can see it's an easy conclusion that it is his web site. and a nice one at that. hope fully he or someone else will chime in and help me out on just what the heck is a (jumping buffalo chip) if there is such a thing. Or am I going to find out that, that is just what I stepped into here. <_<

Well after looking at the profile of the OP I can see it's an easy conclusion that it is his web site. and a nice one at that. hope fully he or someone else will chime in and help me out on just what the heck is a (jumping buffalo chip) if there is such a thing. Or am I going to find out that, that is just what I stepped into here. :ph34r:

It looks like a toy I had as a kid. It's just a thin curved metal disc (shaped like a contact lense). You warm it up with your fingers and press it "inside out", then set it down. Once it cools, the metal contracts and snaps back to it's original shape making it pop off the table.

Edited by Anton 4
Well after looking at the profile of the OP I can see it's an easy conclusion that it is his web site. and a nice one at that. hope fully he or someone else will chime in and help me out on just what the heck is a (jumping buffalo chip) if there is such a thing. Or am I going to find out that, that is just what I stepped into here. :ph34r:

It looks like a toy I had as a kid. It's just a thin curved metal disc (shaped like a contact lense). You warm it up with your fingers and press it "inside out", then set it down. Once it cools, the metal contracts and snaps back to it's original shape making it pop off the table.

Oh, now I know what you're talking about, they make plastic ones and sell them at the dollar store. Not as good as the originals.

Well after looking at the profile of the OP I can see it's an easy conclusion that it is his web site. and a nice one at that. hope fully he or someone else will chime in and help me out on just what the heck is a (jumping buffalo chip) if there is such a thing. Or am I going to find out that, that is just what I stepped into here. :lol:

Oh, now I know what you're talking about, they make plastic ones and sell them at the dollar store. Not as good as the originals.

but they could come up with a better name! :ph34r:

Ok, thank you for the info. :huh:

I've seen the plastic/rubber ones before. I think at the time someone was calling it a 'pop-er' or something like that.